Awoo.

Resident Evil 5

AdventChild

Well, I've found a couple of vids of what the Mercenaries mini-game is like.

What Are You Buyin', Stranger?

Capcom unveiled the Resident Evil 5 Mercs Mini-Game (which becomes unlocked upon beating the game) with a slew of new screens and a pair of trailers.

"In The Mercenaries, you’ll tackle modified levels from the story mode as enemies continually spawn with scarce ammo, fiercer enemies, and timed challenges which lead to a franticly visceral experience."

So far, the familiar fare seen in RE4 is not necessarily a bad thing. However, new modes, tweaks and gameplay features are never a bad thing. Judge for yourself when the game launches next week in Europe and North America on March 13 or envy your Japanese import friends who already have the full retail.

It is pretty much the same as RE4's (maybe like others before that as well) with little improvements, but still looks cool nevertheless. I'm hoping you'll get to play as other chars from other RE games as well which did happen in RE4.

As I pre-ordered this from GAME.co.uk, I've just received my pre-order bonus of a Chris figurine. He's not very big, thankfully, so he looks rather nifty. =D

image119.jpg

RE5 VS Multiplayer Paid DLC Add On

Rumored yesterday, the additional multiplayer modes for Resident Evil 5 have been officially announced by Capcom. The best part: You have to pay to get competitive multiplayer!

What?!

The DLC will be released on the PS3 and Xbox 360 a few weeks from now and will set you back $4.99 (400 MS Points). I'm also willing to bet that this mode is already on the disc and the DLC will just unlock the content. This is exactly the type of thing that should be added for free in a patch. Actually, this is exactly the type of thing that should be included in the retail release.

Click through for details on the two versus modes.

The first mode, "Slayer’s Rule, is a point-based game that challenges players to kill Majinis," which I can only assume are some sort of genie (it's actually the standard infected enemy in the game). The second mode, "Survivor’s Rule," has "players [hunting] the most dangerous game, each other!"

Both gametypes can be played one-on-one or two-on-two.

I'm not even sure how this would even play. In my mind, I keep picturing two players running into a clearing, seeing each other, stopping dead in their tracks, and aiming while standing completely still. Sure, it (sort of) works for the singleplayer game, but I just don't see immobility transferring well to a multiplayer setting.

I don't think I'll be dropping extra money on a new gametype that should be included by default. If I hear that it's phenomenal, maybe I'll consider the purchase, but this DLC is going to need some amazing word of mouth. A wag of my finger to you, Capcom.

Are you interested in dropping $5 on multiplayer for Resident Evil 5?

Aww crap, you have pay to play online multiplayer. Eh, I hardly use on-line anyway, but sounds pretty retarded.

X-Play's RE5 Review

If it plays like RE4, then wouldn't be a good thing? Or does every FPS gameplay needs to imitate the styles of GoW, Halo and whatnot?

Edited by AdventChild

Rofl, I got RE5 in the post this morning, but er my PS3 also broke this morning. Wont play bluray discs properly anymore XP. Fortunately, I rang Sony and despite my warranty running out a few months ago they're sending me a new PS3 tommorrow fucking morning, free of charge (I was astounded that it's so quick.). So I'll be playing RE5 properly tommorrow (managed to get in a few bursts of gameplay in between crashes and faults, and I'm very impressed so far).

I’m in two minds about RE5. I only played RE4 on the Wii only and it sucked but on the other hand I did like the demo for RE5. I’m not too keen on the co-op mode bit though because I don’t really know anyone who’d play with me so I’d have to put up with the computer AI which I’ve heard is a bit on an arse.

Played the demo and it sucked! The controls were such a pain DX and the zombies were just so hilarious and not scary in the slighest at all. It didn't feel at all like you were being mauled by zombies, more like you were merely being touched up by scabby men.

Edited by Mollfie

It didn't feel at all like you were being mauled by zombies, more like you were merely being touched up by scabby men.

And you didn't find that idea scary? Because if I thought about it like that I defiantly would!

^ lol XD maybe in real life, in a zombie game I expect them to be running at me and trying to rip of my face.

Maybe it gets better and the demo was a crap representation?

Character AI is great from what I've played. Sheva is very useful and I've no complaints about it whatsoever :F.

I'm not sure why I want it to be really scary cos I suck at playing scary games I get really freaked out by them lol and end up turning them off cos I'm getting scared XD

Edited by Mollfie

Maybe it gets better and the demo was a crap representation?

Demos are not accurate representations of the finished product. For a start, Sheva's A.I. in the final game is much improved.

I can imagine things get more intense as you encounter bigger groups of enemies attacking you from all sides and dealing with them gets more stressful. As far as I’m aware the game is more survival than horror with not so many things jumping out at you. I’m like you in the regard of turning off scary games Mollfie but RE5 isn’t supposes to be ultra scary or anything.

Edit after reading Siriku's post

I read a bit of the new issue of Edge magazine today. They really panned the game for being racist in the bit before the Reviews.

Edited by whatabout_paul

Really hate:

- Sheva stealing everything from under my nose (Black thief, OMG CAPCOM YOU RACIST BASTARDS, AHHH).

Make her only use the machinegun (the A.I. can be manipulated into such a position), then you'll be fine as she'll shoot slowly, accurately and, more to the point, will never be short on ammo.

If it helps Molfie, there are dogs and hyenas, that split their heads open, and will rip your face off in a second or two. Can even be on full health. And you fight several at once.

That's more like it!

I read a bit of the new issue of Edge magazine today. They really panned the game for being racist in the bit before the Reviews.

It sounded to me like they were having a go at RE5s developers more for their insensitivities (Sheva being a milky brown African with an accent distinct to every other African in the game, in Edge's words, making her a sop, for example) than any real racism, as racism is the hatred and intolerance of one race toward another, and it seems... unlikely to say the least that RE5s developers would have an irrational hatred of Africa.

I got it for absolutely nothing. I was very disappointed with it and never have understood all the hype. Oh and Mollfie lookie here are the puppies they are talking about

DSCF0133.jpg

Aint they pretty? XD

I should be getting it either tomorrow or monday, unless our shitty mail service fucks up again.

Can't friggin' wait. People on my friendlist with the game are teasing me ;_;

Went to the launch party yesterday in San Francisco. It was awesome(not as good as the Lost Planet launch but still great). Managed to reach chapter 1-3 with my cousin on the demo kiosks of the full game. Really wanted to get my copy of the game signed by the dev team to go with my signed Lost Planet, but they kicked you out as soon as you picked up your game. Maybe if they weren't so anal about releasing the game at midnight maybe we could've had time for the devs to do game signings like with LP. Oh well. Still had a great night and got the free t-shirt. My feet are still killing me though from standing for 4 hours since there was no where to sit.

Went straight to bed after getting home. And I have class in a bit. Will be ripping that game open and jumping onto it as soon as I get home.

Make her only use the machinegun (the A.I. can be manipulated into such a position), then you'll be fine as she'll shoot slowly, accurately and, more to the point, will never be short on ammo.

You can request items from her, and the AI will always give you that item.

Sheva's AI seemed surprisingly intelligent in the demo - I'm not sure what you guys are complaining about. I'll have to see how it holds up in the full game when I pick it up (which should hopefully be soon).

I might even come here begging for some help with co-op online should I end up with the game. I doubt any of my mates will get it. Just be prepared for me to be utterly useless at it.

I'm a huge Resident Evil 4 fan. The great thing about that game is that you don't have to be a shooter gamer to get immersed. I don't play halo/gears of war/call of duty etc. Sadly I don't have a 360. I think it's amazing how much detail they put into this game. I just love looking at all the HighRes stuff in RE4.

I just watched X-Plays review. I just hate them. They expect these kind of games to be just like every other generic fps shooter on the market. Which is why I can't stand the current fps games.

The Capcom resident evil team really inspires me to work hard at getting into the game industry. They're just so talented.

I got the game myself and its not bad but it just does not feel like the next step for RE it just feels like RE4 in HD in daylight. Still if it aint broke dont fix it but what really gets me is Sheva's AI, i think shes a great addtion but she is bloody stupid.

Apart from that its a good game.

DSCF0133.jpg

Aint they pretty? XD

I want one :lol:

Edited by 7Force

I liked the dogs with split open heads from SH3 better myself...

But did any of you participate in the zombie march to the midnight release? My friends who own next-gen consoles (I don't own one because after I watched E3 in '07 I decided I was done with the gaming industry) didn't because they are little girls who can't stay up late enough to do so even though they went to pick up their copies at midnight.

I liked the dogs with split open heads from SH3 better myself...

But did any of you participate in the zombie march to the midnight release? My friends who own next-gen consoles (I don't own one because after I watched E3 in '07 I decided I was done with the gaming industry) didn't because they are little girls who can't stay up late enough to do so even though they went to pick up their copies at midnight.

I did mention I went to the San Francisco launch party. No zombies though. They were probably all scared off by the lone RPD cosplayer.

Ironically there was a zombie march the following day at my university. Didn't know what was the occassion though, other than Friday the 13th, or quite possible they were all celebrating RE5's release.

Edited by Yong