Awoo.

Resident Evil 5

AdventChild

Got it on Friday and I'm on to Chapter 6. I'm really liking it so far with it's enhanced sound and graphics (like RE4 on steroids). The game is pretty easy early on but it gets controller-throwingly difficult in the later stages. The bosses are awesome, too. There are some REALLY cheap deaths, though. And there's just never enough bullets.

Edited by Snatcher2047

Loving the game so far, and I'm up to chapter 6. I love just playing through the older chapters any time I feel like at any difficulty, it's just great stuff. My PS3 is being replaced, however, since it's knackered, so I've been playing it on a friends console. Trouble is, RE5 saves are locked, so you can't transfer 'em to other consoles like you normally would. Haha, this means I'll be starting the game all over again on Monday afternoon when the replacement arrives.

Anyway, I've still played a lot of it and I think it could do with a harder difficulty than veteran. I've played the game for a few days now and veteran is almost a breeze; sure the later levels are more of a challenge, but I find that I'm not running out of supplies, I'm removing some supplies to make room for things I'd like more of, I've got too much stuff XP. I wish it had some inventory expansion shit, like RE4 had, which was great.

I'm finding Sheva to be actually rather fantastic; if you're finding her a hindrence then maybe you're just a shit player, because damn. Give her the earliest sub-machine gun, upgrade it loads, and give her a rifle or shotgun as a side (rifle preferably, she's actually brilliant with it). She seamlessly switches between weapon types according to the situation and is a great shot too. She never runs out of machine gun shit either. There are the odd slip ups with her actions but no more than the times I cock things up XP.

I only have one complaint about RE5; it looks fantastic, it plays entertainingly and the battles are just epic, but I want more. I wish it was twice as long as it is XP.

Also, punching people hard enough to make their flying bodies shatter doors is just hilarious.

My friends got it and says he's really enjoying it, as is his girlfriend, but overall it's nothing spectaular *shrug*, will possibly give it a whirl next time I see them.

I think it could do with a harder difficulty than veteran.

Play the game through with Veteran and you unlock Professional.

Also, punching people hard enough to make their flying bodies shatter doors is just hilarious.

I thought it was hilarious the first time I got a critical with Chris' fist. Blew up their head, it did. :b

Dude, I did the backhand (it's the 3rd hit of one of the combos) and their head exploded, that was hilarious.

oh RE, how I love you.

Got it on launch day, and if there's anything you have to do in RE5, it's Co-op.

Yes, Co-op. I'm having so much fun playing it with my brother it's mind-blogging. It may not break much ground regarding RE4, but it's great fun nonetheless.

And indeed the 3rd hit combo is brutal, did the forward punch with Chris(can't remember the name), it was like Wesker's punch in the mercenaries game in RE4, a bit superhuman i'd say.

The co-op would be more fun if it wasn't for the fly-shit tiny screens that makes the already annoying aiming (mmm tiny bright red dot in a bright environment) even worse and generally makes things a bitch a see. And this is from playing on a big screen telly.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this. I miss the RE4 inventory and there's some minor annoyances here and there, but otherwise it's the same as RE4: nothing mindblowingly fantastic but really well done action.

Edited by Flint

Falcon Punch?

I want this game. It looks fun as hell, and Chris just looks like a badass. I'm only 15, so I can't get the game without a parent (DAMN YOU ESRB. DAMN YOU.) so that'll take some convincing.

I saw a picture with Chris laying flowers by Jill's grave. D: Why'd they kill her off?

My intial thoughts are very good but I couldn't avoid swearing at my TV at times, then again I like was that with RES4 but like RES4 I think the more I play the better I will become.

Sheva's AI isn't too bad but their are times when she shot me in the back when in small areas. My method was to give her the sniper rifle and machine gun, she still had her pistol but I only let her use when I upgraded the capticy of Pistol to give her ammo. As for Chris I used the Pistol, Shotgun, Magnum. I used the knife quite a bit I like that you can kick 'em when their down saves bullets and using the knife.

Towards the end of the game it got fucking hard mainly when your on board the ship near the end the two bugs and two Minigun weilding fat fucks was a piss take even on very easy. But I got through it though.

The firing the missile at Wesker level was a complete bitch but the ending fight was okay.

The Lickers were probably the only thing that was slighty creepy espeically when you sneek passed them only for them to gang up on you

Another problem is the inventory a bit like the Outbreak games but thankfully more grateful, it took me a while to Figure out how to upgrade my weapons :P . Also it doesn't pause the game when you want to change weapon (Porbably because of the co op thing?) so you must think fast.

Also found the game was shorter than usual RES games took me two days (though it is very possible to complete in a single day).

Is it me but are most games getting shorter?

Finally it just wasn't as Scary as previous games (even RES4 was more scary than this) maybe because I am older. I think its time to see Zombies again or maybe something even worse the T Virus

(The Progenitor virus was cool though if a bit OTT)

The music was a bit too Hollywood for my tastes, I miss the creepy synth stuff.

If your thinking of getting this then don't be put off by what I have said get it, its still awesome!!!! ;)

Dude, what is with all the RE5 hate?

Variety Lists 5 Resasons the Game Isn't Very Good

You've seen/read X-Play's review and you've watched Adam's rant on Sessler's Soap Box, but are you ready for more Resident Evil 5 bashing? Depsite the game's early and impressive success, critics and fans alike are polarized on this title. Variety's Ben Fritz recently wrote a blog post on "The five reasons Resident Evil 5 isn't very good". To sum up Fritz' opinion:

1. "Resident Evil 5" is not scary

2. It's is a mediocre, derivative action game

3. The co-op doesn't work very well

4. "Resident Evil 5" is old-fashioned

5. The racial imagery is disturbing at times

I'm going to wait until the fervor has died down a bit before I touch RE5 again. I want to approach it with a clear mind and I don't want to hear Adam's gravelly voice in my head as I play it. What about you guys? A lot of you seem to disagree with Adam's review. Think he's right? Think he's wrong? How about Mr. Fritz's views? Leave a comment and let me know (please)!

1. "Resident Evil 5" is not scary

Only a good thing, this means it can be enjoyed. RE4 (and the RE series in general) wasn't scary either yet people were lapping all over it.

2. It's is a mediocre, derivative action game

It's not mindblowingly fantastic but it does its job damn well and entertainingly.

3. The co-op doesn't work very well

This I agree with, with splitscreen anyway. Could be brilliant with both having their own full screens and voice chat though.

4. "Resident Evil 5" is old-fashioned

Which doesn't mean it's bad. Plus it actually stands out at the moment in a positive way from all the (overused) "hide behind the wall" stuff.

5. The racial imagery is disturbing at times

I still find these racist angles completely brainfarted.

Edited by Flint

I suck at Resident Evil games as a rule and have never really enjoyed them. I kept hearing about how fantastic 4 was and bought it for the Wii only to hate it. It was my birthday on Sunday and because I couldn’t get the game I wanted I asked my sis to buy me RE5 because the co-op sounded intriguing. Ok, so I don’t have anyone to play co-op with at the moment but I’m really having fun. I’m not very far at all and am always worried about something huge killing me with a chainsaw (the bastard) but I’m pretty much getting the hang of it.

I’ve a feeling Sheva will need to use some other weapons as I’ve been hording them up to press but am running out of room in my inventory thanks to stocking up on health potions. I like the shotgun too much to give away though; great for clearing a group. I like the grenade too despite only using it once. I killed about 5 people at once. Good stuff! I’ll be adventuring slowly through the rest of the game and then might even play through it on a harder difficulty should I finish it. I told you, I suck at these games so I've totally gone through on easy.

Keep upgrading the first rifle you get in the game and hand it over to Sheva. She's a mean lean killing machine with it and because she's all AI, having to switch out of the zoom between every shot isn't a hindrance.

Edited by Flint

Flint is right, Sheva absolutely destroys fools with that rifle. The machinegun is good for Sheva too, but she tends to waste handgun ammo. :(

but she tends to waste handgun ammo. :(

Yeah at least she only wastes machine gun ammo when your order her to attack, when ordered to cover (non agressive) she just shoots bursts usually into Chris back!!!! :P

Stop using friendly fire and you'll unleash a killing machine armed with a machinegun and a rifle.

Sheva's action AI's brilliant*, not her fault if you want to run in front of her :(((.

*except in boss battles where she drops her brains

I just finished the game and overall I still think RE4 is a better game. I loved RE5, but I didn't walk away completely amazed like I did after RE4.

Most of all I hate the new inventory system. If both Sheva and I are full and there is a green herb we can't just choose to use it. Or if one of us has a red herb we can't choose to just combine the two.

I felt RE4 had a much creepier atmosphere too. I really do wish they would try and make the games scarier. They really are just becoming action games. It might have helped if RE5 didn't take place during the day so much early on. The only part in RE5 that was sort of creepy IMO was when you had to

sneak past the Lickers.

Overall RE5 is still one of the best games I've played in a long time. The co-op is great fun, but I think that would have been better left to the mercenaries mode or some other side mode. I think the single player portion of the game does seem to have suffered a bit do to the heavy emphasis on co-op.

A great writeup on the supposed racism of the game.

Well, great apart from this bit:

. Maybe they'll make the next game happen in Finland and you'll have a whole series of Inuits and the like being really scary and running around with Walrus heads on

Since when has Finland had inuits and walruses?

Since it got relocated to the Canadian Arctic coast. Duh.

Been playing the game today,

currently on the island near the start, think I missed the jewel dropped by the furnace worm swarm dude.

Sheva has the annoying habit of shooting my back. :( I have the awesome habit of punching her lights out when I want to punch Manjini. :)

Edit: I've just entered the

mines. Had to use a couple of grenades from the top of the railway carriages to get rid of the damn dogs.

Since it got relocated to the Canadian Arctic coast. Duh.

Been playing the game today,

currently on the island near the start, think I missed the jewel dropped by the furnace worm swarm dude.

Sheva has the annoying habit of shooting my back. :( I have the awesome habit of punching her lights out when I want to punch Manjini. :)

Edit: I've just entered the

mines. Had to use a couple of grenades from the top of the railway carriages to get rid of the damn dogs.

If it's annoying just turn friendly fire off then dude.

I'm not taking damage and neither is she, it's just annoying when she wastes ammo by unloading into my back.

I'm not taking damage and neither is she, it's just annoying when she wastes ammo by unloading into my back.

Again, turn friendly fire off. The bullets will then fly through you and "hopefully" hit what she was originally aiming for.

A great writeup on the supposed racism of the game.

I'm a black man, and I'm also one of those to call actual racism on the first wiff of it I get, and yet even I find it messed up how this game is held as racist by some people. I know how sensitive this stuff is, but it's still mind boggling even to me.

Okay, you're playing as a caucasian character in the heart of Africa. The residents of the place, who just so happen to be black people, are infected by a dangerously contagious virus. This same virus, indiscriminate of whoever it infects, causes those who fall to it to change biologically and attack anyone close by who isn't infected by the virus.

On top of that, you're AI partner is African herself, who is also shooting black people. Eh..I'm just going to stop right there.

All this just leads to more trivia that I'd rather not delve into right now. But I will say this: I'll bet that if everything was flipped, where you were playing as a black man in Europe shooting white folks, no one would give a damn.

Also, the game was made in Japan.

Asian creates a white character to kill black people...this part just struck me as twisted and wierd.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic