Awoo.

The Logo Thread

Dark Qiviut

Logos.

The little emblem/symbol on almost every big company or corporation out there. Sometimes they stick. Sometimes they change.

Yet, no matter what happens, the purpose of a logo is this: to relay their brand personality with as little information as possible. This is what makes logo design such a difficult art form to master and why I love it so much. Piling in information after information can make the logo appear convoluted and messy. Simplicity is key when making a great logo. Millions of dollars are poured to make a logo or any kind of signature (the combination of elements to make one recognizable identity, such as the wordmark and its symbol/trademark). Color palette, type choice, angles, manipulation of concept, and signature position all MATTER when creating a fantastic logo.

This topic discusses logos, past, present, and future. Discuss logos you like, are neutral with, and be clear with your positioning why you're in favor with the logo or not. You can even announce changing of corporations' logos when they're announced and old logo prototypes.

I'll start it off by unveiling logos that I like a lot.

fedex_logo.jpg

The FedEx logo. It replaced the old one in 1994, and needless to say, it is SO much better. Now, what makes this logo so good? Take a look at the negative space between the "E" and "x."

northwest-airlines-logo.gif

This is the old logo for Northwest Airlines. At first glance, you think that this was a simple logo with a couple of symbols slapped on. Not true at ALL. What makes this logo spectacular are these:

1. The red outline represents the globe with the arrow pointing northwest.

2. You see the red oblique "N." That's all, isn't it? Nope, not at all.

3. Use the arrow and trace a thick line along the left and right sides. Connect the negative space around it with the "N." Once you connect it, you will notice a faint "W." Unfortunately, this logo was replaced not long ago.

Now it's your turn to discuss logos.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seriously, that one made me laugh. I post this all in good fun of course. I love Dodge, and their new aggressive angles

This one always comes to mind whenever I think of clever logos. Its nothing special, just a B and an R, but clever coloration outlines the definitive 31 flavors that Baskin Robbins was first known for. Simple yet effective. Its a history lesson crammed into an advertisement.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is the logo of Carrefour, a French hypermarket chain.

th_awi-carrefour.gif

At first it looks like a red rounded triangle and some kind of weird-shaped blue arrow...

So when you see this logo for years without thinking about it, and then one fateful day you suddenly realize what it really is... (if you look at the space between the two shapes, it represents a letter 'C' in some weird font)... That was quite a shock for me.

This is the logo of Carrefour, a French hypermarket chain.

th_awi-carrefour.gif

At first it looks like a red rounded triangle and some kind of weird-shaped blue arrow...

So when you see this logo for years without thinking about it, and then one fateful day you suddenly realize what it really is... (if you look at the space between the two shapes, it represents a letter 'C' in some weird font)... That was quite a shock for me.

So I'm the only one who saw the C instantly? Go fig.

Seriously, that one made me laugh. I post this all in good fun of course. I love Dodge, and their new aggressive angles

LOL! Honestly, I never saw that. When I looked at the logo, I immediately recognized a ram. Never did I see the comparison to the woman's womb. XD

However, I think Dodge realized it, hence their new logos. The current one has two red angular line and its alternate being a shield in honor of the old pentastar.

The current logos of Dodge:

Dodge-Logo.jpg

120px-Steering_wheel_logo_-_2011_Dodge_Avenger.JPG

This one always comes to mind whenever I think of clever logos. Its nothing special, just a B and an R, but clever coloration outlines the definitive 31 flavors that Baskin Robbins was first known for. Simple yet effective. Its a history lesson crammed into an advertisemt.

The Baskin-Robbins logotype is EXCELLENT! The colors and type fit the playful environment of Baskin-Robbins, and the change of color in the "B" and "R" to expose the thirty-one flavors is genius. WAY better than their previous one below.

BaskinRobbinsLogo.jpg

So I'm the only one who saw the C instantly? Go fig.

No, I saw it, too. Very creative use of negative space, and I love the arrow.

I had seen this one online somewhere before, and I thought it was really cleverly made.

116.jpg

That's the logo for Eight. The thing I like about it though is that each letter is designed in a specific way to make it look like it could make out the number eight.

subway-logo-300x137.jpg

Instantly recognizable. I associate the bold green outline and arrows on 'S' and 'Y' automatically with the freshest, most customizable and absolute loveliest sub sandwiches I've so far found.

newmsnlogo1.jpg

The multicolored butterfly automatically catches the eye and the bold curvyness of 'MSN' is also eye-catching.

I had seen this one online somewhere before, and I thought it was really cleverly made.

116.jpg

That's the logo for Eight. The thing I like about it though is that each letter is designed in a specific way to make it look like it could make out the number eight.

I remember seeing it, and I wowed at how spectacular it is. The usage of the 8 to make the wordmark's absolutely genius. I don't know who designed it, but he or she should get a medal due to how great it is.

Speaking of logo designers, one of my most favorites is Paul Rand. This late graphic designer's known for making hundreds of famous logos, such as the ABC channel, IBM, Westinghouse, Enron, and the old UPS logo.

Here are some of his examples:

paul_rand_logos.jpg

An absolute genius in designing logos.

Now, speaking of logos, I'm presenting two of my favorite TV logos:

nbc-peacock.gif

The NBC peacock. One of the most recognizable logos in the U.S. The second you see that symbol, you think of NBC. When I see it, I think of prestige, excellence, and pride. Like peacocks themselves, this logo is just absolutely beautiful.

cbs-logo.jpg

The CBS eye. Standing for eye-catching TV, it hasn't changed much over the years. Its signature's altered (the typography going from inside the eye to on its side to altering the type to a sans serif), but the logo has stayed the same.

HOLY SHIT THAT'S A PEACOCK?!

You went as far as applying theoretical physics and science into Sonic the Hedgehog.. but failed to see the peacock in the NBC logo.

psyduck.png

In all seriousness though, I always find logos to be really awesome. I remember seeing one incredibly spectacular one, but I'll have to search for it again to know what I'm talking about. :P

Edited by Azukara

You went as far as applying theoretical physics and science into Sonic the Hedgehog.. but failed to see the peacock in the NBC logo.

psyduck.png

In all seriousness though, I always find logos to be really awesome. I remember seeing one incredibly spectacular one, but I'll have to search for it again to know what I'm talking about. :P

I have only just now seen a high res NBC logo.

At least I know the ArticUNO, ZapDOS, and MolTRES thing.

HOLY SHIT THAT'S A PEACOCK?!

pretty much this.

but less bold and large text, more italicized.

holy shit, that's a peacock

I knew the NBC logo was a peacock, but I never noticed the beak. Was that always there? :mellow:

I knew the NBC logo was a peacock, but I never noticed the beak. Was that always there? :mellow:

Yep, it was always there.

In fact, here's the previous peacock logo before the 1986 redesign.

nbc_logo_1980.gif

And the one before that (1956-1961):

Peacock_Cleanup.JPG

Now, to give a little history of the current logo from Wikipedia:

On May 12, 1986, during a broadcast of the NBC 60th Anniversary Celebration, NBC stars of past and present stood on stage to introduce a new logo. The arranged marriage of N and Peacock ended and "The Bird" finally assumed its official place as NBC's symbol. The peacock's head was now flipped to the right to suggest it was looking forward, not back. The eleven feathers from its previous peacock logo was shortened to six to reference NBC's six divisions at that time: News, Sports, Entertainment, Stations, Network and Productions. Incorporating the six primary and secondary colors, this Peacock, redesigned by Steff Geissbuhler at Chermayeff & Geismar, remains one of the world's most recognized logos. The network maintains specific guidelines for the logo, including proper colors for reproduction, using either RGB, CMYK or Pantone colors. The usage guidelines are contained in the NBC Logo Legal Usage Guidelines which is distributed to NBC employees involved in graphics as well as outside vendors, such as advertising agencies, who may need to use the logo.

Speaking of TV Networks logos I still say that Central's Logo was timeless;

25443353820969462.png

I like multicolored logos :3

I'm really surprised nobody's posted this yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OAQe5UlpGI

This is an absolutely brilliant short film which I encourage everybody to watch and enjoy. biggrin.gif

I watched it yesterday. One of the best short films that I came across. We're around so much corporate identity in this world and don't even know it. It's that magnificent.

@Verte: The logo uses the rainbow quite nicely. But what attracts me to it the most is how the logo creates a "C" when dividing the globe up along the line that sepates color and white. Nice find. :)

Now, a couple of more great logos.

7.jpg

The Diamond Bookstore. The clue's right there: pages of gray to greate the shape of a diamond. Combine that with the typeface, and you got a very cute lock-up. :D

30.jpg

Coffee Cup. Great color with even better type treatment. Curly type to represent steam's excellent. The placement's even more clever: the f's are above the cup. Very well-done.

And just for the sake of humor:

17.jpg

The Anti-Social Network. Simply genius use of the gesture. One of the funniest logos I've spotted. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

a86a61e7-6d73-428c-b1c2-b03fa5a2b1d0-000001.png

The one for this company, GPX, is actually really nifty. A circular "G" and "P" that warp and transform into the more visible "X".

Do not forget this one either. Both of these videos me and Indy posted take great advantages of all these logos.

plus DVNO is an awesome song <3

• Thumbs Up 2

This one is pretty obvious to spot, but I just thought it looked cool

bison-vywctb.jpg

It spells out the word Bison, while also making the shape of..well.. a Bison

lg-logo.jpg

I always liked how the letters formed a pseudo-smiley face to emphasize their slogan "Life's good"

lg-logo.jpg

I always liked how the letters formed a pseudo-smiley face to emphasize their slogan "Life's good"

I like it, too. It's a very creative logo, using the "L" and "G" to make the smile.

Now here's a logo one should remember:

EMSIGNIA_signature_1797.gif

The Motorola em-signia (the "M" inside the bullet). First introduced in the 1920s, it signals innovation of future technology. Despite some little changes in the years, the trademark has virtually remained unchanged due to its timeless quality.

And here's one more that everyone should know:

coca-cola_logo_script.jpg

The Coca-Cola logo. Designed in 1885 by Frank Mason Robinson, the logo's writing style (now called Spencarian Script) was designed to reflect the way people back them wrote their papers: Compared to today, writing then was much more elegant to where they looked perfect and looked a lot like actual typefaces. In other words, the logo was done to communicate to others in a contemporary fashion. Although the cursive elegance has died down, the logo's elegant yet casual communication has since become just as classic as its branding. With exceptions to the packaging and the twenty-plus-year add-on of the word "Classic" to "differentiate" itself from the New Coke flop, the logo has remained unchanged.