Awoo.

Dark Sonic

hookons0nic2

*Warning. This may be seen as a spoiler for some people. Do not read if you wish to learn about Dark Sonic on your own.*

So we've all seen the infamous *SPOILER ALERT*

right? Don't worry, I just gave you a link to that exact scene. I'm sure we've noticed that this new form of Sonic, which has only appeared once in his entire lifetime, is fueled by anger and rage rather than love and friendship and other happy feelings. He appears to be unable to fly, but he seems to be able to warp around exactly like Shadow. Perhaps this is because his dark form can use Chaos power more efficiently than Super Sonic? Or maybe it's just his raw speed. He appears to be able to warp faster than Shadow. His physical strength appears to beat Shadow's and it comes close to Knuckles' strength (in terms of muscle power.) He also gains a dark purple-ish aura, his eyes are completely white (no irises), and his mouth seems to disappear. He is commonly called "Dark Super Sonic", though his official name is actually "Dark Sonic." There is debate as to whether or not he requires Chaos Emeralds for this transformation. I believe that because he was in the presence of many (possibly 100+) Chaos Emeralds containing ONLY negative power (indicated by how he felt sick to be by them), he was more easily brought to feelings of rage, and therefore able to transform in the way that he did. He can't transform into Dark Sonic without a Chaos Emerald.

In my little fan fiction world, Shadow can transform into his dark form by only thinking about what G.U.N did to Maria, but we needn't worry about such silly and non-canon things. I'd like to hear from you guys. I strive for Sonic knowledge, even if it comes in the form of knowledgeable fan fiction.

Edited by hookons0nic2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Dark Sonic is nothing more than a recolor of Super Sonic, and a cliched Super Powered Evil Side. You can't even make any claims on what he can do due to only being on screen for less than 2 minutes.

Are you talking about that bit from Sonic X (can't get to YouTube on this computer)?

Edited by Tornado

Oh Noes, I just killed a fly, I went too far, ARRG! I am dark, Oh my friends are saved now, I feel light again, Darkness never come back again.

Seriously, I guess whoever designed that episode wanted some satisfaction out of the little kiddies (They must be thinking on the lines of "Yes, Lets just put this thing here for 5 seconds so that everyone will like it and gravitate towards it).

Besides, I did not think that was Dark Sonic, I though he went super mad on dem robotic individuals.

Wow, didn't think people would disapprove of Dark Sonic that much.

Well, I like how Diogenes at least compares Dark Sonic to other things. Your comparisons to Darkspine and Werehog Sonic remind me of Riku from Kingdom Hearts. He was once devoted to the darkness, but now he fights on the side of light whilst using his dark powers to gain a new and unseen power. I see Dark Sonic as a Dark Riku, except Dark Riku's clothing changes and the transformation can be controlled to a certain extent.

What I really don't like is when people just say "Dark Sonic sucks @$ cuz he looks like some crappy fan recolor job done in MS Paint". I think that the entire dark side aspect of Sonic brings a whole new idea to the Sonic world. Sonic has always fought purely for good. Even in Black Knight when he said "Guess I can't be the hero every time", he was still fighting to stop Merlina from ultimately ruining the kingdom. Not every hero needs to be a hero forever. It might even get, dare I say, boring after a while. Its kinda interesting to see a new side of Sonic besides his darker and stronger forms that STILL fight for the force of good. I like seeing Sonic just burst into anger and fight people using nothing more than pure rage. Of course, doing this forever would be cliche and fan fictiony, but being able to occasionally transform would fix that right up.

Edited by hookons0nic2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 5

Was there really a point to Dark Sonic? He only pops up for 5 seconds and making it seem like a big lipped alligator moment. I don't know about you but being pissed off isn't really Sonic's thing.

Makes you wonder what the writers where thinking when this really got nowhere.

Edited by Crow the BOOLET

I still wonder why they only used Dark Sonic once. Sure it was (very) cliche but it could have been a neat concept. At least for Sonic anyway. I dunno.

They could've made him look less generic too.

Edited by Torcano

I think that the entire dark side aspect of Sonic brings a whole new idea to the Sonic world.

Its not really. That bit from Sonic X was basically item #3 on the "Generic Shonen Storyline Cliche" checklist. The fact that Sega hasn't paraded it out once a game is more impressive than the fact that they have used it.

Edited by Tornado

Its not really. That bit from Sonic X was basically item #3 on the "Generic Shonen Storyline Cliche" checklist. The fact that Sega hasn't paraded it out once a game is more impressive than the fact that they have used it.

Maybe they remembered that Sonic isn't a Shonen series.

But yeah, like Dio said Darkspine did a whole lot better with the whole Dark Form thing, he was powered by his emotions so he could be Erazor rather than "ZOMG Friends are in danger, time to pull a new form out the ass".

And keep in mind I don't hate Dark Sonic, its just so damn generic and boring that it really doesn't impress me, if I wanted to see Heroes overcoming their darkside or some other crap like that, I'd watch a few Shonen Anime, and leave it at at that.

Edited by Shadic93

Wow, first response and I already have a little troll. Thanks.......
It's not trolling just because you don't like what he says, man.

What I really don't like is when people just say "Dark Sonic sucks @$$ cuz he looks like some crappy fan recolor job done in MS Paint".
But he does look like a crappy recolor and that's a pretty decent reason to think a thing sucks.

I think that the entire dark side aspect of Sonic brings a whole new idea to the Sonic world.
No it...it really doesn't. And even if it did, there are much better ways to go about it (as I explained).

Not every hero needs to be a hero forever. It might even get, dare I say, boring after a while.

I like seeing Sonic just burst into anger and fight people using nothing more than pure rage.

So basically you want Sonic to not be Sonic, but to, in fact, be Shadow. Except even shallower.
  • Thumbs Up 3

I kinda liked the concept of that dark Sonic, but the way he was used was weird. He didn't have much of a purpose, and the way he destroyed that two robots (never seen before) in 7 seconds, it feels like they were trying too hard to show off how powerful he was.

He is commonly called "Dark Super Sonic", though his official name is actually "Dark Sonic."

Do you have a source, please?

But he does look like a crappy recolor and that's a pretty decent reason to think a thing sucks.

Well, he's an alternate form of Sonic. I'd say he's supposed to be a recolor. Darkspine's physical appearance looked too random to me.

Core: Right now, the Sonic wiki is my main source. According to them, "Dark Sonic" is more common than "Dark Super Sonic". That's really about it.

Diogenes: Perhaps I was a bit quick to call it trolling, but you DID say "Dark Sonic is stupid." That is close to trolling, though you did at least explain your decision, hence the reason why it is not trolling.

So what if he looks like a recolor? Darkspine Sonic looks like a recolor too. He just has some stripes, rings on his ankles and wrists, and different colored fur. Technically, almost any transformation looks like a recolor (except for werehog, obviously). Dark Sonic is as recolored as Super Sonic. Super Sonic is gold, Dark Sonic is Dark Purple/Black.

If you use a little imagination, Dark Sonic can really add a new twist to the storyline every now and then. Of course, he is not meant to be used often; just in those dire-need situations.

When I said that not every hero needs to be a hero forever, I was *trying* to imply that they need a teeny tiny break from the hero job every now and then. Something fresh and new is always nice.

Shadic93:

But yeah, like Dio said Darkspine did a whole lot better with the whole Dark Form thing, he was powered by his emotions so he could be Erazor rather than "ZOMG Friends are in danger, time to pull a new form out the ass".
ZOMG friends are in danger, time to pull a new form out the ass? This was a different situation. Someone was actually hurt, they were in real danger, and the fake emeralds were most likely influencing him. It is really a neat concept once you think about it.

Wait, wasn't Darkspine Sonic provoked by negative emotions too (Shahra's death)? Sonic was pretty angry when Chris was actually hurt and when he saw the terror in Cosmo's eyes. Darkspine and Dark Sonic are *basically* the same, except for where they draw their powers from and how they look.

Come on people, have some imagination. Don't just say "he sucks cuz he's a recolor and he's only there for 5 seconds". You should really think about what he was feeling during that time. Maybe you guys just don't think like Sonic......

Edited by hookons0nic2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 3

>He uses Sonic News Network as a source

180px-Chuckling_muttley.jpg

God awful Wikis aside, that form has no official name. Even then, Dark Super Sonic would be more appropriate since it literally is Super Sonic, but pissed off to the nth degree. Futhermore, Darkspine did it better and looks a whole lot cooler to boot. Also repaint my ass. He's more of a retool to Sonic then god damn Super Sonic is. I don't see a need to it to be used again though, and I usually hate one time deals. Never mind that he's tied to the world of the books and thus can't be used again, but that time could be spent making Super Sonic more awesome instead. There's really no reason that Super Sonic shouldn't be beating the slag out of baddies like Darkspine did (well he could do without the screaming, but still)

If we must have a rage filled Super State, look no further than Super Scourge, who was actually based on Darkspine in color. Dude was fixing to spin dash two planets in half because he could. That's pretty freakin dark in itself when you consider all of the rammifications of such an act.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Core: Right now, the Sonic wiki is my main source. According to them, "Dark Sonic" is more common than "Dark Super Sonic". That's really about it.

You know, it specifically says "This transformation does not have an official name". So I don't understand how you could say that Dark Sonic is his official name.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dark Super Sonic, Dark Sonic, doesn't matter. He's still a disgrace.

lol sonic wikia

Diogenes: Perhaps I was a bit quick to call it trolling, but you DID say "Dark Sonic is stupid." That is close to trolling, though you did at least explain your decision, hence the reason why it is not trolling.

Don't lie. That's not trolling. That's saying you hate a character without being bothered to explain it. And for the case of Dark Anime Sonic, I can fully understand why they'd not even give parapgraphs for him. He's not worth it.

So what if he looks like a recolor? Darkspine Sonic looks like a recolor too. He just has some stripes, rings on his ankles and wrists, and different colored fur. Technically, almost any transformation looks like a recolor (except for werehog, obviously). Dark Sonic is as recolored as Super Sonic. Super Sonic is gold, Dark Sonic is Dark Purple/Black.

They're both cliche dark sides. Darkspine was simply done better.

That and Darkspine looks slightly less than a fancharacter.

If you use a little imagination, Dark Sonic can really add a new twist to the storyline every now and then. Of course, he is not meant to be used often; just in those dire-need situations.

Well yeah, you can use imagination for anything. That doesn't make it automatically good.

When I said that not every hero needs to be a hero forever, I was *trying* to imply that they need a teeny tiny break from the hero job every now and then. Something fresh and new is always nice.

But that's exactly one of the things that keep him different. He's not some generic anime hero who falls to his "inner darkness" or some cliched shit like that. He deals with things, keeps a straight face, and moves on. Yes, he can be happy, sad, angry, etc, but he doesn't need ultra-powerful forms to do it.

This was a different situation. Someone was actually hurt, they were in real danger, and the fake emeralds were most likely influencing him. It is really a neat concept once you think about it.

"Hey, Chris was a good character if you think about it..."

"Hey, the Black Arms weren't really aliens if you think about it..."

"Hey, Mephiles didn't steal Robotnik's kill if you think about it..."

Seriously. You could say "if you think about it" for anything. But again, saying a few magic words doesn't make most of us go "Oh, now I understand why fishing in Sonic Adventure was not a boring gameplay but in fact a relaxing experience, thanks very much." Instead, you'd more likely get "Lol no, it still sucks." And rightly so.

Look, there are some cliches that I'll forever love. I'm always up for a good villain's death-by-falling after all. The dark side of the hero, however, is one that I have, as a person, never liked, and never will like. It's right up there with the overly hyperactive/fiesty loud talkative girl and and rebellious anti-hero "badass" on the list of cliched character types that I'm not a fan of.

Wait, wasn't Darkspine Sonic provoked by negative emotions too (Shahra's death)? Sonic was pretty angry when Chris was actually hurt and when he saw the terror in Cosmo's eyes. Darkspine and Dark Sonic are *basically* the same, except for where they draw their powers from and how they look.

That and Darkspine lasted for more than five seconds.

Come on people, have some imagination. Don't just say "he sucks cuz he's a recolor and he's only there for 5 seconds". You should really think about what he was feeling during that time. Maybe you guys just don't think like Sonic......

Or maybe, just maybe, we just don't like the concept.

Don't act "better" than us just because we don't have as high opinions on him. It's all exactly that - opinion. And most of us happen to have the opinion that he's not cool or original in any way, shape or form.

Also, I find it funny that you're telling us to be more "imaginative" when you're the one telling us that having another generic stereotype would be a good move.

• Thumbs Up 3

Maybe they remembered that Sonic isn't a Shonen series.

Except it sort of is.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 2

"Dark Sonic" was just a by-product of Sonic X's crappiness. A plot point that, like so many others throughout the shows run, is never elaborated upon or used to it's potential. Not that it had much.

I think the biggest head banger of "Dark Sonic" is how the fandom puts him on a pedestal and mutilates the limited characterization he showed to turn him into some kind of mindless, will-less monster with sadism ranked up to eleven.

• Thumbs Up 1

Except it sort of is.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Yeah, it kinda is I'll except it.

Unfortunately.

Well it be worse, The characters could shout their atta-oh wait, Chaos Control .FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUU!!!

Shadic93: ZOMG friends are in danger, time to pull a new form out the ass? This was a different situation. Someone was actually hurt, they were in real danger, and the fake emeralds were most likely influencing him. It is really a neat concept once you think about it.

Yeah, and so does every other Shonen hero when they see their Friends in danger, what's your point? Exploring the whole "Darkness within your heart deal" No, I don't want it. And besides what could it add? Something for Sonic to angst about? Sonic doesn't need to get a Super Form to show that he's pissed off, he can just do that alone.

I have plenty of imagination, and whenever I try to put Dark Super anywhere in the series, it really doesn't sit well. I know how the entire scenario would play out:

Sonic sees Eggman has Tails and/or Amy hostage and is giving him an ultimatum, surrender or your precious friends die, Sonic being Sonic decides to fight back, get his ass whupped, then when it looks like Tails or Amy are going to die, he screams toward the ceiling(Because its Mandatory for a Super Transformation), then goes Dark Super and curb stomps Eggman with no effort at all, then Sonic decides to go for the kill on Eggman, but then Tails or Amy give Sonic the mandatory "Cool Down Hug"(Because for some reason getting hugged stops rage) and Sonic snaps out of it, then Sonic angst about what he did.

Its so damn Generic and boring, I see no reason to add it. The series already reminds me of a Shonen series, I don't need anymore reminders.

Why does there need to be a debate whether or not his name is Dark Sonic or not? Both Dark Super Sonic and Dark Sonic are fan-made anyway so there's no point. (Though I do think DSS is more appropriate since he's Super Sonic colored black.)

I admit I liked DSS when I first saw him, but it should've been expanded on a little more than one episode instead of being this random moment (not to mention it really made the episode less boring to watch for me.)

What really seemed strange to me though, is that even though Sonic got pissed before transformation, but after completing said transformation, he's almost border-line evil with the mad cackle. (Anger causes you to turn evil just like that? Does not compute at least in this case.)

That is why I think Darkspine and the Werehog are better "dark" forms for Sonic. Darkspine was Sonic gaining the Rings of Rage, Sadness and Hatred to better convey his anger towards Erazor for callously killing Shahra, but they didn't impact his psyche or sense of justice. Even when Shahra's voice could be heard during the battle, Sonic called out to her in his normal voice instead of his rage voice. The Werehog was just a suddle way of conveying Sonic's sheer willpower over darkness.

Both forms didn't require Sonic to go all evil to show he's got a dark side, which I think DSS did for no real reason int the context of the show.

And I agree with Shadic about Sonic can get angry without going Super. Remember how Merlina cut Caliburn in half in SatBK? That sure got Sonic pissed off.

Edited by DragonSoul

I'm generally not opposed to good guys occasionally being overrun with negative emotions and acting more vicious than they normally would. But i do feel that Sonic belongs to that specific type of hero whose heroism and kind heart is so strong that he simply can not "turn evil", not even for a second. Like, his morality and refusal to compromise his ideals is such an integrated part of his personality that any actions like being tempted to attack someone out of hatred or revenge would simply be violently out of character.

Well, that's the way i see him, anyway. As a character that belongs to the same type of 100% uncorruptable heroes as Goku from Dragonball or Captain America.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I should point something out here as it's very important that you know this, as using the Sonic wiki as a source on other sites would really have the forum come down on you like a ton of bricks.

The Sonic wiki is quite possibly one of the biggest jokes in the Sonic fandom... and why?

Well... back in June 2008 someone brought to our attention that Sonic Rush 3 was in development and linked to Sonic wikis article about it, most people haddn't really looked into sonic wiki until this moment.

When it eventually got the attention of the community. The levels of laughter could be heard for miles around.

This was the exact description that the Sonic Rush 3 page had....

Sonic Rush 3 (Sonic Rush Heroes) is a new Sonic video game that will be released nearly in 2009. It is a new Sequel of Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure. It says that Sonic the Hedgehog, Miles “Tails” Prower, Knuckles the Echidna, Blaze the Cat, Marine the Raccoon, and the new character will be playable. Marine was pronounced to fly. Dr. Eggman and Eggman Nega might appear in this game as villians. Sonic Nega and Blaze Nega also appear in the game. 6 characters will split into 2 teams. Like Sonic Heroes, you can change formations. Sonic and Blaze are speed types, Tails and Marine are fly types, and Knuckles and a new character are power type. Shadow the Hedgehog is a supporter for Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles, and Mighty the Armadillo is a supporter for Blaze, Marine, and the new character. Amy Rose, Rouge the Bat, and Vector the Crocodile (who only appear in Blaze’s story) are non-voiced characters. No further information available

I put in bold my favourite bits.

The following were genuine pages that the site had up at the time.

Sonic Rivals 3,

Hornz the Fox,

Berndette Hedgehog (who is apparently Queen Aleena’s sister but is somehow the mother of Sonic, Manic and Sonia [who is now male] as well)

Pokemon & Sonic: Explorers of Time

Again, I put in bold my favourite one.

Unfortunately, because TSS is still down for maintenance, I can't actually link to the article (but it's still there) fortunately... thanks to the power of the wayback machine, the article is still there in all it's glory, except it's missing the picture of Snow White and all the comments from readers.

As for Dark Sonic. I don't particually care for him to be honest, as someone who grew up fearing for my life whenever Fleetways Super Sonic would come and save the world before destroying it into a firery inferno. Dark Sonic just seems epically tame to me.

20090815165949!STC100-SuperSonic.jpg

YOU'RE GONNA DIE! YOU'RE ALL GONNA DIE! I'LL DESTROY YOUR CITIES AND THEN EAT YOUR BRAIN!

• Thumbs Up 3

Not to mention Sonic wiki's picture gallery mostly consists of recolors and poorly-done collages......

I wholeheartly agree with baston in saying Sonic is too pure and confident in himself to really lose control.

I think people tend to think that makes Sonic a Gary-Stu with being immune to any sort of evil or mind-control (Sonic Rivals 2 is minor exeption) so they want to see someone like him lose his temper more often despite that it's OOC for Sonic(unless his friends are hurt or killed) and that he would pretty much be like a 2nd Shadow.

Edited by DragonSoul