Awoo.

Who's the better hero: Tails or Knuckles?

Darth Sonikku

Well... it depends on whether his junior badassery was acknowledged. Most of said fanfiction portray him to have been a total weakling beforehand.

And of course, that's assuming he's not turned into a generic brooding loner... blasted fanfiction.

Agreed. He's awesome for his age but as long as he doesn't go the route of "my game bitches, I run sega with my big guns and robots. Fuck you sonic and every other sega character created". That would blow so much. LOL Tail's 3rd person shooter game. I could actually see that happening if they made him grown up some. Wait take that back I don't need another shooter. COD, DUKE, HALO, Gears & BF are too much as is. But if all the characters (including Tails) grew up a little wouldn't that mess with the age group sega was targeting it's games towards? That would be kinda weird seeing a 20year old sonic+ 12 year old Tails still being sooo playful and not serious while taking down robots and random monsters of the year.

Neveer grow up Sonic and co. I don't want another T rated game. (even though shadow was knocked down to E10+)

Who's better hero? But in what? Tails's better in thinking, Knuckles in fighting. Tails can fly, Knuckles can dig and climb. They have many diffrent abilities, everybody knows it ;) But generally (for me) better hero is Tails (Knuckles is so cheatable!!!).

Tails. He is a loyal friend to Sonic and will stick by him through almost everything, which is more than we can say for Knuckles. :-)

Tails. He is a loyal friend to Sonic and will stick by him through almost everything, which is more than we can say for Knuckles. :-)

Um...what does that have to do with Tails being the better hero? I'm not understanding that.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Um...what does that have to do with Tails being the better hero? I'm not understanding that.

It means he can work well with the main hero for tag-teaming bonus points. He's more useful in that capacity.

It means he can work well with the main hero for tag-teaming bonus points. He's more useful in that capacity.

Exactly! Tails is fighting alongside Sonic to stop Robotnik (or Eggman), which technically makes him a hero too. :-)

Well, if the topic is more about the characters being heroes in their own right, then I've got to go with the vast majority here and say Tails. Tails just generally lends himself better to heroics personality-wise, when he does act as a hero, it really stands out because of him being a relatively insecure and overshadowed kid.

Knuckles on the other hand has more than enough ability and confidence to play hero, but he's generally unwilling to because he's more single-minded in his goals and tends to trust Sonic to deal with things. When Knuckles IS pulled into acts of heroism, as mentioned before, it's usually as part of a team dynamic, and Knuckles won't be much more than muscle there because he's not the type to lead.

Knuckles is great for reminding us that people can be heroic while also being flawed. He isn't perfect but, ultimately, does the right thing (see Sonic 3 & Knuckles, amongst other things). That's pretty cool, and I adore Knuckles.

Tails, however, gets my vote. He is loyal to a fault, pure and selfless. He isn't chained to a responsibility, but rather helps the world and helps our hero by nothing other than choice. There's a reason he's appeared in every videogame since his introduction.

Which makes him a better hero, how? =P Not arguing your opinion, just wondering if you can elaborate, especially given how brief you were about it.

Hmm~ That's quite a tough question.

Tails is certainly the more 'active' hero; as many have said, he travels with Sonic and helps him to overthrow Eggman or whatever threat looms over their world, whilst Knuckles is often fixed to Angel Island. We see Tails doing heroic things more often, and he's had a couple of plots surrounding him becoming a hero in his own right as opposed to just being seen as "Sonic's cute kid sidekick". He's very intelligent, mature, and skilled for his age, and he puts himself on the line to save people out of nothing but choice; he's not always the most confident, but he pushes past his insecurities and gets things done. As the Sonic Adventure series has proved, he's quite the hero in his own right. One can only imagine how much he'll shine when he's older and develops more confidence in himself~

But on the other hand...

To be fair, if Knuckles ever let the Master Emerald get in the wrong hands it could be catastrophic.

This.

Knuckles can't always get in on the action because he has to stay on Angel Island and protect the Master Emerald; when he does, it's in a group effort with Sonic and Tails, not usually as a stand-alone hero. But he's not only protecting the Master Emerald to keep his ancestors' home afloat and out of reach, but also because that gem is perhaps one of the most powerful artifacts in their world, with the ability to neutralise the Chaos Emeralds. If someone with the wrong intentions, or someone who doesn't know how powerful it is, got their hands of it, who knows how catastrophic that would be? By dedicating his life to guarding that sacred gem, forcing himself into a life of isolation, Knuckles is being a hero just as much as Sonic and Tails. It's not 'active' heroics like theirs, but it's heroic nonetheless. Knuckles is quite an overlooked hero; I think this is partly why he is jealous of Sonic - Sonic is a recognised hero, whilst Knuckles' heroic deed remains in the shadows of obscurity. :<

So at the end of the day, I'd say Tails and Knuckles are both great heroes, they just need a chance to really shine some more~

• 10 years later...
On 3/31/2011 at 10:24 AM, Badnik Mechanic said:

To be honest, I don't think either of them are great heroes.

Tails and Knuckles don't really fit the hero slot these days, they've become characters that are more in a supportive role than anything else, Tails is obvious, he's the mechanical/technical guy, Knuckles... well... I don't really know what his role is anymore, he was the lone guardian of the master emerald, although not a very good one which results in him being a treasure hunter, then he becomes Mr Muscle.

If you're literally asking "Who is the better hero" then I'd probably have to say Tails.

Sole reason being his actions in Sonic Adventure, he actually proves himself as being capable and standing on his own.

Whilst Knuckles has dominance in Sonic & Knuckles, it didn't really take anyone by suprise as he always looked the part as well as doing the part. So I'd say Tails, just because he overcame the underdog status and actually defeated what looks like a major boss.

I’d say Tails is still a hero in the modern games because being a hero doesn’t require you to be a fighter. You can be a hero in other ways and that’s what Tails does.

Just now, Milkman_1032 said:

I’d say Tails is still a hero in the modern games because being a hero doesn’t require you to be a fighter. You can be a hero in other ways and that’s what Tails does.

I do think they need to balance fighting and support but K don’t hate Tails being

a support hero because it fits his character.

1 minute ago, Milkman_1032 said:

I do think they need to balance fighting and support but K don’t hate Tails being

a support hero because it fits his character.

*I*

Jesus, this topic was dead for 10 years. I swear, nostalgic revivals creep everywhere.

Fun question though. But not very precise. Let's break it down.

ACTIVITY
We can close whole topic by pointing out that Knuckles main job is guarding M.E. Even if we ignore it, Knuckles fights Eggman when he stumbles on him. Tails actively pursues fighting villains.

PERSONALITY
Here I will surprisingly give points to Knuckles. As guardian he's naturally prone to protecting people. He's braver, more willing to jump to help. Tails and Sonic are duo, because they complete each other. Solo, I think Knuckles would be more of a hero than Tails is right now. Sure Tails is smarter, but that doesn't necessary makes him more heroic.

SKILLS
Most people will probably agree that Knuckles is stronger than Tails, not just psychically, but comparing their power set.
But Tails just trumps him with technical skills and 300 IQ.
I will say that Knuckles would be better choice for immediate action and simple scenarios. Mugging, house on fire, Zeti attacking village.
But the moment we talked about alien invasion or Eggman's larger scheme, Tails is much better choice.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Knuckles
-Lead resistance in Forces (but possibly with terrible results. We don't know enough details, but he was facing impossible odds).
-Fought Eggman in Knuckles Chaotix (but canonically he and Chaotix were only people on this island. He didn't saved anyone, just inspected strange thing happening near his house.)
-Defended Master Emerald and helped Sonic on many adventures
Tails
-Saved Station Square from nuke
-Got Sonic out of prison (with Amy's help)
-Two solo adventures against Wendy Witchcart and Battle Bird Armada.
-Helped Sonic on countless adventures,
While I have my own head canon on Knuckles during Forces, facts are easily in fox's favor.

So yeah. While Knuckles has small advantages over Tails in certain categories, fox is MILES above him in others.

• 4 weeks later...