Awoo.

Sony release PS3 Red Cross donation figures

Badnik Mechanic

On March 19th, if you logged into the PS Store you were presented with a new catergory called "Red Cross, Japan Aid" (it varied a little depending on your region). Basically you selected (if you wanted to) an option of either £5/$5 $10/£10 £50/$50 (I think they were the ammounts). And the money went to the British/American red cross for distribution of aid in Japan.

Now... With buying an item from the PS Network, if you buy something, you have the chance to rate it out of 5, and they didn't disable this from the donating options, so you had a good idea as to how many people were actually using it, amazingly, the numbers of people who had donated the maximum ammount were well over the 300 mark last time I looked. But... not everybody rates/uses the review option, so there was no way to tell as to what the true number of donations were unless you had access to that info/worked on the PS Store.

Today Sony released the figures that it's donation drive on the PSN made, and I'm very suprised at the figure (in a good way!).

First of all, $160,000 of this total comes from Riot games who donated 100% of the money made from their discountd Champion Akali character and a special Nurse skin....

The final total from people donating by using the PSN network is as follows. $1.3 million (US Dollars) which is 109.6 million Yen, as a thank you for the donations, everyone who donated via their PS Wallets recieves a special theme for their PS3.

Theres currently a new theme that you can buy and again all monies will go to the Red Cross efforts in Japan.

Full Press release and source.

I thought it was quite an epic news story, especially given how there was no way your typical donator could tell if it was really making much difference.

• Thumbs Up 2

Transparency in these kinds of things is always nice. Behind this, and the numerous drives and donations through the rest of the industry, the VG community is really coming through for Japan.

the VG community is really coming through for Japan.

Well stuff is still going on... I expect this thing to raise quite a bit for Japan/Red Cross aid efforts.

Would you like a signed life sized Plasma Cutter from Dead Space 2?

Mind you, just wait until the total from all the Dead Space 2 toot is added up.