Awoo.

Westboro Baptist Church

Stacy

Umm as much as I know they just WANT publicity I can't help ut say a few choice words about them.

OK, You suck, Fred, and so does your accent. I personally would like to see the people who lead the church burned to death. It will be a glorious day when Fred Phelps dies.

• Nice Smile 1

You read my mind, Flyboy! I remember watching a story about them a show here called 20/20, and it was really sad to see these kids indoctrinated into this kind of narrow minded behavior. Something that I too believe is child abuse.

Thirded from me. On one documentary I watched about them, one of their kids had a can thrown at their face from a passing car. The host of the documentary argued with them over this saying "look what this is doing, is this fair on your kids?" but of course they didn't care and said nothing was wrong with what they were doing... the guy in the car was the bad person etc... I mean the guy in the car was a bad person but they ask for it too much. That just isn't fair.

OK, You suck, Fred, and so does your accent. I personally would like to see the people who lead the church burned to death. It will be a glorious day when Fred Phelps dies.

Careful there. That's how they talk you know, don't stoop to their level.

The WBC is an incredibly hateful group, but fortunately they're a very vocal minority. Televangelists aren't even this extreme -- and I'm including Jerry Fallwelll, who said on national television that feminists had caused 9/11. Still, it's a little disheartening to see a group of people that are so passionate about hating people.

Geez louise, ya know these people are just insane in the heads. My BF told me about this circus of freaks a couple years or so ago. They're just way out of line. This kooky and nutty bizarre cult is a real nuisance and they should not be taken seriously. For those involved with the WBC, oh well too bad. The WBC people should get a real life.

• 3 years later...

One of Westboro Baptist church leaders, Megan Phelps-Roper, quits Westboro church.

She is Megan Phelps-Roper.  The 27-year-old had risen to become a leader in the family church founded by her grandfather. 

In a blog post, Phelps-Roper explains
she and her 19-year-old sister, Grace changed their way of thinking. 
She doesn't go into detail but says she and her sister regret the hurt
they have inflicted on others by participating in the Westboro group's
activities.  Read what she writes by clicking here.

• Thumbs Up 1

batman-robin-1966-interview.jpg

Holy shit, Batman! One of them grew a brain!blink.png

Seriously as long as apologies and doesn't start her own crazy cult then that is progress. 

Edited by BW199148

It's not too surprising honestly. She's certainly not the first of the "Core" WBC family to walk out. I suggest having a read of an IAmAn by Nate Phelps (One of the three middle children, out of thirteen...). I don't know how much you know of the WBC's internal practices, but it's worth a read, you'll see that the Phelps kids are essentially brainwashed into unthinking, unquestioning, essentially soulless people. Any deviance from what they were told was often met with violence, I think what's more worrying is that Nate Phelps states that his father thinks he won't die, ever. That the Rapture will get him first. Or worse, that apparently none of them think they will.

Basically, you know how for many LGBTQ* children, how hard it is for them to actually "come out". It's like that, but with actually thinking and leaving their family, potentially with no more contact ever (Except maybe a protest in their "honour"). I personally cannot imagine how hard it must have been for any member of the WBC that have grown up through it as children to actually leave, they have to leave their family behind, regardless of how hateful it is, it is still their family.

Edited by DarkOverord
  • Thumbs Up 1

Man. Some people. I am a christian and I am offended by this. May they never be allowed into heaven.

• 1 year later...

Westboro Baptist Church founder Fred Phelps is on his death bed.

From one of his Son Nathan Phelps's Facebook:

I've learned that my father, Fred Phelps, Sr., pastor of the "God Hates Fags" Westboro Baptist Church, was ex-communicated from the "church" back in August of 2013. He is now on the edge of death at Midland Hospice house in Topeka, Kansas.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Terribly ironic that his devotion to his god ends this way. Destroyed by the monster he made.

I feel sad for all the hurt he's caused so many. I feel sad for those who will lose the grandfather and father they loved. And I'm bitterly angry that my family is blocking the family members who left from seeing him, and saying their good-byes.

https://www.facebook.com/NatePhelps/posts/10151924300961765?stream_ref=5

As cold as it sounds, even on the verge of death I feel no sympathy for that cruel mad man.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well it's about damn time. Good riddance Mr. Phelps, may your soul rot in the burning pits of hell.

Sorry if that sounded harsh, but I can't feel for the man after all the shit he's done over the years.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm more curious as to why he was kicked out in the first place, as well as why current church members are preventing those who left from visiting him to pay their last respects. How does a "church" still get charge of the movements of ex-communicated members?

This seems apt.

644821f1ee37ac584e27755ae62621b5c63517e1

Nothing to say other than he was a sad old pathetic man who will die in peace yet the funerals his "family" picketed didn't get that peace. The man was a coward I didn't seem him picketing just giving out "the words of God". Same here no sympathy.

• Thumbs Up 3

I am a member of the group he has said so many hateful things against.

Yet, as tempting as it is to say this is a good thing... I won't. I hope he goes peacefully, and wish his family well in their time of need. To us, he is the hate-spewing preacher of a vicious hate group... but to them, he's probably just Dad or Grandpa.

I will not lie as if I am a saint. I still feel an inclination towards anger and vengeance in my daily life. But in recent years, my development of religiosity on top of it, I've started to feel that these emotions are primal and something to overcome.

We should not kill the killer. We should not rape the rapist. We should not wish ill unto others, even if they have done so themselves.

Death is a tragic part of reality, just like murder, rape, and all the other forms of suffering and misery on this planet. It is something we should regret, not celebrate or encourage.

I do not wish ill on him or anyone who he has been close to. My only wish is that he go peacefully, and hopefully reflect on his life and genuinely lament all the evil he has espoused.

I believe God forgives anyone who is sincere about remorse and change. We all make stupid choices... some more serious than others, some more often than others. But none of us are perfect, and I think God's well aware of this. It's probably impossible to be saintly given the limits of reality... but we can make a good effort.

Whether he will feel remorse... who knows. If there's a Heaven, I hope one day he will have learned from his errors and found his way in. Nobody deserves eternal separation or punishment, no matter how vile they may have been.

I similarly hope that the organization he has formed shall decline as its members one by one realize their mistakes and embrace compassion over cruelty.

I'm more curious as to why he was kicked out in the first place, as well as why current church members are preventing those who left from visiting him to pay their last respects. How does a "church" still get charge of the movements of ex-communicated members?

It is really weird he'd be able to even be removed from his own organization. This is a church, not a North Korea expy where the old regime gets purged by the new.

I assume the family are using their legal rights to bar who can and can't see him, rather than church authority.

• Thumbs Up 6

rant coming:

To me the facebook comments are sick. I mean this is someone talking about there dad passing away and not being able to see him because of they way the family is and people are.... yeah. I heard of Westboro by name but I dont know much about them but its something I notice. Its okay to hate someone for their horrible messages but just dont bring that shit to someone whos the child of said person. its cruel.

• Thumbs Up 1

rant coming:

To me the facebook comments are sick. I mean this is someone talking about there dad passing away and not being able to see him because of they way the family is and people are.... yeah. I heard of Westboro by name but I dont know much about them but its something I notice. Its okay to hate someone for their horrible messages but just dont bring that shit to someone whos the child of said person. its cruel.

Do your research, then. This man deserves no sympathy for the things he's done in life. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not gonna lie, i've been waiting for this day. I'm sorry Nathan Phelps has to lose a father, but I'm also sorry said father was a despicable man. I won't celebrate or anything (well, I'll try not to), but I'm sure as hell not gonna mourn him.

He better spend these last moments repenting to God for everything he's done.

Here's to hoping the Satanic Temple turn his deceased spirit gay

While I understand the point, I find the fact someone did that to just be disgusting. What the hell did that woman ever do to anybody?

Even if she did do something to someone, two wrongs don't make a right. A grave isn't something that should be defiled; how is this any better than picketing a funeral?

Attacking the man is one thing, he's fair game with all he's said. But leave someone who can't even speak up for themselves out of it.

One part of me wants to be a decent human being and show him that others aren't as hateful as they are.

The other part wants to see many thousands picket his funeral with lots of hateful messages.

I am perfectly fine with both outcomes.