Awoo.

Classic or Modern Sonic?

Agent York

I really like them both, but I prefer modern Sonic overall. Classic Sonic is cute and all, but...yeah. Modern Sonic is athletic, more mature looking and sleek. As other's have said.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe I wouldn't be so hard on the modern designs if his quills weren't so long. They're just the one feature of his design that's bugged me since '99. @_@;

Maybe I wouldn't be so hard on the modern designs if his quills weren't so long. They're just the one feature of his design that's bugged me since '99. @_@;

To me at least his quill length hasn't been an issue since he became chunkier all over around the time of Unleashed. All that bugs me now is that his eyes are nearly always stuck in a frown. And as Night of Werehgo showed us, it's not even necessary.

I prefer the new design. He actually looks like he would be something that runs fast, and I like how the arms just dangle behind him when he's going fast, it adds to the effect. He looks more like a speeding bullet from the side than the classic design, which I think looks bulkier and less aerodynamic in a sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

To me at least his quill length hasn't been an issue since he became chunkier all over around the time of Unleashed. All that bugs me now is that his eyes are nearly always stuck in a frown. And as Night of Werehgo showed us, it's not even necessary.

Judging from your sig, Classic Sonic looks more angry than Modern Sonic IMO.

Judging from your sig, Classic Sonic looks more angry than Modern Sonic IMO.

That's because of the expression he's pulling. Modern Sonic's eyebrow tends not to move, so you you don't look at his mouth he looks permanently angry. Classic Sonic's brow not only moves more in the trailer, but the actual shape of his eyes is much softer.

Edited by Blue Blood

That's because of the expression he's pulling. Modern Sonic's eyebrow tends not to move, so you you don't look at his mouth he looks permanently angry. Classic Sonic's brow not only moves more in the trailer, but the actual shape of his eyes is much softer.

*edited*

I think Unleashed Sonic's expression is more of a focus on his task while having fun look while Old School Sonic is angry looking expression while being focus on the task to progress to beat Eggman...well that what I think also I like both designs but I'd pick Modern Sonic over Old School Sonic just that cheeky smile of Unleashed Sonic I love it haha :P

Edited by Shaddix Croft

I prefer modern Sonic. Classic Sonic is... okay... but modern Sonic actually looks cool to me. There is one thing I'm glad about classic Sonic appearing now--just to keep the purists from bitching. Of course, that hasn't really stopped them, has it? Some have even gone so far as to complain about how "classic" Sonic here has buckles on his shoes! Damnit...

*edited*

I think Unleashed Sonic's expression is more of a focus on his task while having fun look while Old School Sonic is angry looking expression while being focus on the task to progress to beat Eggman...well that what I think also I like both designs but I'd pick Modern Sonic over Old School Sonic just that cheeky smile of Unleashed Sonic I love it haha :P

Unleashed originally gave Sonic a different face. Leaked screenshot:

image_sonic_unleashed-8046-1613_0006.jpg

Facially he's much more classic there. Disappointed that he didn't stay that way to be honest.

Classic Sonic is cute. Modern Sonic is cool and still a cutey.

Modern Sonic wins.

• Thumbs Up 4

Classic Sonic is a plushie, current Sonic is an action figure. ^_^

I like the plushie more :wub:, but when it comes to kick ass and beat an egomniacal scientist and his world conquering schemes I would rather use the action figure. B)

I prefer Modern Sonic. He looks cooler to me and I prefer his attitude, and really, Classic Sonic just looks kind of weird in 3-D (IMO).

Edited by T-Man

I prefer Modern Sonic. He looks cooler to me and I prefer his attitude, and really, Classic Sonic just looks kind of weird in 3-D (IMO).

No denying that last part. He's very awkward to animate in 3D. Watching the trailer closely you'll notice how his legs move through his body and how he looks quite weird when landing.

Erm, modern Sonic I guess. Mostly because I don't really have any emotional attachment to classic Sonic, despite growing up with him.

• Thumbs Up 1

No denying that last part. He's very awkward to animate in 3D. Watching the trailer closely you'll notice how his legs move through his body and how he looks quite weird when landing.

That's actually why they redesigned him in the first place.

While i like the classic design, I prefer the modern version by a long shot, mostly because of the same reasons stated before,

I think it was also partly the fact that a new decade was coming up back and they wanted Sonic to fit in with what was considered hip or cool at the time, even if it meant changing the design.

Edited by DragonSoul

I like them both about equally. Classic for that timeless, Mickey Mouse-like look, and modern for that more aerodynamic, "cool" look.

With long spikes that flop around and massive eyes that would get pelted by wind and grit, no version of Sonic is aerodynamic in the slightest. =P

Edited by Ekaje

I like them both about equally. Classic for that timeless, Mickey Mouse-like look, and modern for that more aerodynamic, "cool" look.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Anything is better than Sonic 06 designs of anything. Good God. That was some horrid shit.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1

1302182697.png

With Classic Sonic making a comeback alongside our current modern Sonic, which one do you prefer? The edgy and cool and taller 'Green Eyes' Modern Sonic, or the shorter, chubbier, cartoony lighter Classic Sonic? Attitude play a part, as Modern Sonic is typically played out as being sweet-hearted deep-down with a love of freedom while classic is known to be more cocky and charmy? Characterization? With both of them colliding again, which design and direction of character do you like better?

Edited by PeanutButterDimond
  • Thumbs Up 2