Awoo.

Classic or Modern Sonic?

Agent York

I don't think the designs in Riders and '06 were the problem themselves, it was more the lazy way they made the ingame models. The '06 CG/artwork may look off, but the model used while you play the game takes those problems and amplifies them.

Edited by Ekaje

Anything is better than Sonic 06 designs of anything. Good God. That was some horrid shit.

Edited by Balding Spider

Modern "Older" Sonic, all the way. He looks more athletic and relaxed, and aside from being a mouthy prick at times whenever he gets into action it looks swift, effortless, intense, and cool. Anyone saying that Modern Sonic is "trying to be cool and failing" is just coming up with every excuse they can to bash it.

Now Classic "Young" Sonic* looks as if he's much younger and cuter. In the recent trailer, when he runs it's like he's trying really hard to keep up with his "Older" self, and that's just adorable...yeah, I actually said it. Until now, Classic "Young" Sonic* wasn't as interesting anymore with his newer version, until they finally nailed a design for him in 3D. That just brought back a whole new spark.

But at the end of the day, I'm going with Modern "Older" Sonic. But I would be happy if Classic "Young" Sonic* sticks around as fanservice.

*Is it pissing you off yet? What if this became a new name for it?

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as I like both designs, I overall prefer the modern version more. While classic Sonic has that classic 90's charm, I prefer modern Sonic's more "cool", skinnier, speedier appearance. Also, as others have mentioned, classic Sonic does look a bit awkward in 3D, especially his running animation. I guess they couldn't replicate the wheel-o-feet in 3D, so they went with that instead. It's not terrible, but it just looks very awkward overall, especially with his legs going right through his body as Blue Blood mentioned.

I hate it when classic Sonic fans bash the modern Sonic by saying that he looks like a freak or anorexic. Just cause modern Sonic has a athletic, slender body and isn't round and chubby like his classic self doesn't mean he's starving himself.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I didn't read classic Sonic's jogging in the video as him trying his hardest to keep up with modern Sonic's sprint, but instead that he was barely breaking a sweat; not even at his wheel-o-feet phase yet :P

..gosh guys. This is gonna be hard to get used to. Openly saying "Classic Sonic" and "Modern Sonic" as if they are consistently two different characters, and in a way that isn't biased towards one or the other?!

This has been a rather life-changing day for us Sonic fans.

I don't think the designs in Riders and '06 were the problem themselves, it was more the lazy way they made the ingame models. The '06 CG/artwork may look off, but the model used while you play the game takes those problems and amplifies them.

I honestly believe Nextgen Sonic looked fantastic in-game; while the modified ones that appeared in the non-prerendered cutscenes looked just plain awful. Those flap mouths, mocap movements, and curtain eyelids were absolutely appalling and killed all the coolness that was meshed into Nextgen Sonic's in-game model. Don't see the point in putting down the prerendered cutscene models because they are basically the same art style as Unleashed but with fur and junk.

Now Riders? Pfft, naww, they were all ugly through and through.

Edited by Azukara

I'm not gonna lie, when I first saw the renders for the characters in Sonic '06 I thought they were sexy as fuck.

They only seem 'bad' to me in retrospect because Unleashed art style is just that much better.

• Thumbs Up 2

I didn't read classic Sonic's jogging in the video as him trying his hardest to keep up with modern Sonic's sprint, but instead that he was barely breaking a sweat; not even at his wheel-o-feet phase yet :P

When you get a basic sense of kinesiology (and no I'm no expert), you can see how it can be read like that.

We use our shoulders and arms to help build power to assist in our gait when we sprint. Modern Sonic just flairs his arms back like it's nothing. Trust me, you would really break a sweat running the way Classic "Young" Sonic* does due to having more muscular movement and no doubt I can read that with Classic "Young" Sonic*.

But it's not like that's a bad thing.

*Waiting for the rage

Openly saying "Classic Sonic" and "Modern Sonic" as if they are consistently two different characters, and in a way that isn't biased towards one or the other?!

That actually kind of pisses me off because people don't want to do the similar for Eggman, except instead of being two different characters it's one.

That is unless they're going to do more fanservice and call Eggman's Classic self "Robotnik." Now that bothers me a lot for some reason.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Between the two, the modern design is much better of course. Still, of the modern designs the Unleashed-era style is my least favorite.

True; must remember that with 'Classic "Young" Sonic*' all the speed was in the rolling and Spin dashing.

* FFFFFFF

Why are we calling him Young Sonic all of a sudden? What's wrong with Classic Sonic?

Why are we calling him Young Sonic all of a sudden? What's wrong with Classic Sonic?

I put the two together. It's not Young Sonic, it's Classic "Young" Sonic, fool. :P

And the reason why is because Classic "Young" Sonic looks younger than Modern "Older" Sonic.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

CSS was doing it for lulz, so I just had fun with it for a second. =P

For some reason, imo, Classic Sonic looks a little strange in 3d. Modern Sonic looks nice though. I like how their traits seemed to have changed over time with classic Sonic being a bouncy kind of guy while modern Sonic being less bouncy and more athletic.

Edited by Torcano

Modern, as I find the little extra details in his anatomy very appealing and relate to his physical and emotional traits: the long legs to be able to sprint; slimmer stomach; and even facial features. But Classic Sonic is also appealing and think both designs are equally good. I just find Modern more appealing.

If I'd asked myself this question yesterday, it would've been modern Sonic all the way, no questions asked. I've never been a huge fan of classic Sonic's looks, even in the more appealing Japanese art. For some reason, though, the Generations trailer has made me appreciate him a lot more. I still prefer green eyes over black (something about seeing pure-black pupils right next to modern Sonic's more realistic eyes makes classic Sonic look kind of soulless), but classic Sonic's proportions have grown on me a lot after seeing the little guy in motion. He's so cuuuuuuuute. I do still prefer modern Sonic, but I don't have a problem with either at this point.

...I totally agree with every disparaging comment that's been made about the '06 style, though. The skinny, noodly look was okay at a standstill but hilariously awkward in motion, and it made everyone's heads and hands look wildly out of proportion with the rest of their bodies.

I don't have too many nice things to say about the modern design, but there are other incarnations of Sonic I lean more toward. Still, the original base design is great, if because of how adaptable it is in drawing.

The Classic Sonic is very appealing, but at the end of the day I'll have to prefer Modern Sonic, but a lot of this is because it's just more fitting in the era of time he's in.

Still, it's a great tribute to Classic Sonic and I wouldn't mind if this design was mainstreamed.

I honestly consider classic Sonic as "young" Sonic, as well, essentially. That was one reason why I would've been accepting to see "Classic" Sonic in Sonic 4, although I didn't mind that they used modern Sonic. I still don't get the appeal for black eyes, though... seriously, that was just related to the games. Sonic looks better with color in his eyes... he looks more lively, damnit.

Actually, I liked the Sonic '06 design... The only one I didn't care much for was Eggman. Now, Unleashed design is fine, too... I just can't stand the human character design in Unleashed. They could've kept the cel-shaded look of the characters and STILL kept the humans bodies in proportion, but nooooo....

• Thumbs Up 1

Classic, because he isn't forcibly "cool" like Adventure Sonic. (Cartoon Sonic was this in spades, but remember he isn't Classic Sonic from the games, but a different beast altogether)

I see the classic designs of Sonic, Eggman, and the whole gang and I get a very "Mario-esque" vibe from them. They're all happy cartoony characters from a colorful sugar-bowl land of fun times. This makes them charming, even if not necessarily "cool."

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 2

Haha Classic Young Sonic.... It's funny because Classic is 16 and Modern Sonic basically retconned the age to 15.

Gosh after viewing the trailer this morning, I was so happy. Modern Sonic x Classic Sonic was like my OTP for a little over ten years hurhurhur <333 (Yeah I did consider them as separate entities on a purely fanfiction/fanart level).

But if I HAVE to prefer one over the other, I would go with Modern Sonic for a lot of the same reason everyone else says. Plus it's easier to draw him doing certain things and pulling off certain expressions that would otherwise look... strange if coming from Classic Sonic.

Haha Classic Young Sonic.... It's funny because Classic is 16 and Modern Sonic basically retconned the age to 15.

I found that shit to be completely weird when I read Sonic Heroes' game booklet. First off Knuckles was 15 back in the past, but now he's 16. I get a strong feeling that someone botched the ageing, but now I just live with it.

He still looks younger than Modern "Older" Sonic. :P

To be honest, I don't think the two really look THAT different, except that "modern" Sonic looks a few years older and has different eye color. But for some reason, "classic" Sonic's black eyes look really blank to me. It's just that when I first saw it, I didn't really feel like he was showing or could show much emotion with those eyes. Not saying he looks awful, but me personally, I'm not as attracted to his "cute factor" as other people, and I usually like cute things a lot.