Awoo.

Classic or Modern Sonic?

Agent York

I've never been able to get Sonic and Knuckles' age changes straight because they're so insignificant. I mean, sixteen... fifteen... what's the difference, really? The changes to Amy, Tails and Charmy are a lot easier to remember because they were actually substantial. With Sonic and Knuckles, I'm just not sure why they'd bother; it sounds more like a mistake to me than anything.

classic sonic, mostly people say modern sonic on here I think because the people in the past who liked sonic moved on and had families and the people who like sonic now mostly joined in on his current games but im not saying everyone.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm like both equally really, for different reasons, so I'm fairly indifferent.

I'll admit, when the redesign first happened back with Sonic Adventure, I did think the modern style looked a little ugly, at least in the artwork. It wasn't until the Advance games that Uekawa started to get the style down and stop it from looking a bit freaky and demented.

Classic Sonic is, of course, much more timeless and has more overall appeal than modern Sonic, and there's always the element of nostalgia involved, too. However, at the same time, I don't think classic Sonic would last in today's market. They redesigned him, he's become what he has today for a reason; whilst the differences aren't all that massive, as people have said, modern Sonic does look more edgy and cool, which is much more likely to appeal to kids these days than classic Sonic would.

classic sonic, mostly people say modern sonic on here I think because the people in the past who liked sonic moved on and had families and the people who like sonic now mostly joined in on his current games but im not saying everyone.

Not really, most of the people who liked Sonic in the past are the ones who are here now. :P

Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 1

I still think the Sonic Riders designs is far worse.

This. Good god, it's like someone squeezed the air out of their extremities and into their hands and feet. I love the sports outfits and accessories, but they hardly make up for the clown feet.

I'm like both equally really, for different reasons, so I'm fairly indifferent.

I'll admit, when the redesign first happened back with Sonic Adventure, I did think the modern style looked a little ugly, at least in the artwork. It wasn't until the Advance games that Uekawa started to get the style down and stop it from looking a bit freaky and demented.

Classic Sonic is, of course, much more timeless and has more overall appeal than modern Sonic, and there's always the element of nostalgia involved, too. However, at the same time, I don't think classic Sonic would last in today's market. They redesigned him, he's become what he has today for a reason; whilst the differences aren't all that massive, as people have said, modern Sonic does look more edgy and cool, which is much more likely to appeal to kids these days than classic Sonic would.

Not really, most of the people who liked Sonic in the past are the ones who are here now. :P

I didn't say everyone and this forum isn't everyone.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I think both are just fine. Anyone who says either design can go die in a fire should calm down 0_o

They're both appealing to different audiences, I personally prefer Classic Sonic from the years of Megadrive I played. But I think Modern Sonic probably needed to take over, and while he might've been odd during SA era, I think he's really come on to look quite appealing.

So I love them both, but Classic's my preferred, although I have absolutely nothing against Modern.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I just think it's funny that the the Classic Sonic we see in the latest trailer is technically the most Modern Sonic. The eyebrow and the ears, it's the most recent design. :P

I kid of course.

Edited by Blue Blood

I like them both. Even though I basically played SA1and SA2 that started it all with me gamewise, I chose to pick up and play classic(young)sonic related games as well to also enjoy. But I guess I probably would lean a little more to modern Sonic, but again I like them both. ^_^

...Am I the only one that finds it strange we are even talking about this in a civil manner?

If this same topic would have existed last month we would have been throwing swears, giving death threats and popping caps like mofos. :P

• Thumbs Up 4

I like Sonic.

I like Classic Sonic.

I like Modern Sonic.

I like Sonic.

That is all.

• Thumbs Up 7

Modern Sonic, for me, I grew up with much more. I was born in 1996, and as an effect, the Classic Sonic I was exposed to was the weird one with the mohawk spikes, and the bad animation with a great relationship with Tails, almost to the point that they are brothers.

But, I like both, to be honest! What I'd LOVE to see is an Oshima rendition of Green-eyed Sonic, though. Sorta like a compromise. :3

Maybe I'm just being lazy, but I haven't seen the obvious joke pop up at all.

I mean, I like Classic Sonic.

And I like Modern Sonic.

But, which is better?

There's only one way to find out...

Previously I would've said I liked both equally, but after seeing the classic model running with the modern model I'm going with modern.

The classic design just sort of looks a bit of awkward to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still don't see how a round body = fat. The body may be circular, but it's small, and hedgehogs are round, like I said earlier. Besides, his belly doesn't poke out that much. :|a

Anyway, I know some people complained about the new model's running animations, but I don't think his legs are actually poking through his chest; the angle's just a little odd. Methinks classic Sonic looks fine in 3D.

And I don't see how preferring a cartoonish design is a bad thing.

Classic Sonic for me. He looks like a "golden age" (1920's-1950's) american cartoon character. Modern Sonic looks like a slightly awkward cross between a such a golden age cartoon character and a modern anime character (not that i dislike anime characters, it's just that the strange mixture looks a bit weird).

Anyway, I know some people complained about the new model's running animations, but I don't think his legs are actually poking through his chest; the angle's just a little odd. Methinks classic Sonic looks fine in 3D.

whyaremylegsinmychest.png

whyaremylegsstillinmych.png

I dunno, it really does look like his legs are going right through his chest. Kinda reminds me of the way Sonic's legs went right through his chest in Sonic Adventure.

And I don't see how preferring a cartoonish design is a bad thing.

...Did anyone say it was? It all comes down to personal taste. No offense, but it sounds a bit like you're getting overly defensive since there are so many fans of the modern design in this topic...

This. Good god, it's like someone squeezed the air out of their extremities and into their hands and feet. I love the sports outfits and accessories, but they hardly make up for the clown feet.

Not to mention this

popeyesonic.png

His stomach is way too long/stretched out.

Edited by sonfan1984

One Model that I really dislike is the DX Model. In Motion, in the cutscenes, it looks so terrible, not to mention it's inconsistent with th rest of the graphic style and it's too shiny.

ss-2.jpg

Very bad attempt to modernise a 1998 game, for 2004, damn Iizuka.

Edited by ChikaBoing

whyaremylegsinmychest.png

whyaremylegsstillinmych.png

I dunno, it really does look like his legs are going right through his chest. Kinda reminds me of the way Sonic's legs went right through his chest in Sonic Adventure.

...Did anyone say it was? It all comes down to personal taste. No offense, but it sounds a bit like you're getting overly defensive since there are so many fans of the modern design in this topic...

if you compare him when hes running on his side u can see hes bent forward making him push his legs up further hes good in 3d and is better for casual gamers.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Aww, no love for the Riders model in here. Its actually one of my personal favorites, because when they do it right, it looks Something like this....

That is slick. Its the right compromise between edgy and traditional for me. I just love it.

• Thumbs Up 1

*PICTURES*

What they've done for C.Sonic's animations is literally move his legs up and down his body. Looks find in fast motion and fine in 2D, but watching it frame-by-frame makes it look more than just a little odd. It's why M.Sonic has a more oval body that bends.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic's legs do crazy numbers like that during the opening of Unleashed too, don't they?

I think the reason why they may seem to go through him is because his legs, as they go up, are becoming slightly attached to his sides. It does look a little odd but then again when in fast motion it shouldn't matter. Plus, it bends with the stretchy cartoon physics, which work with classic Sonic, so I don't see the problem there.

hes good in 3d and is better for casual gamers.

Care to explain the bolded part? The only reason I can think of why you would make that generalization would be because of classic Sonic's cuter appearance, but that still doesn't necessarily mean that he's automatically better for casuals. For example, some casuals might find his classic appearance too "cute" and "babyish"* and like his modern appearance better. There's a reason Sega redesigned him in the first place: to make him appear more modernized (and also because of the aforementioned 3D problems that Sega didn't feel like tackling at the time). Now I'm not saying that modern Sonic is "better for casuals" either, but I also don't really think a definite answer can be made on that subject.

*I'm not saying this is how I feel (as mentioned before, I like both designs while preferring the modern one), nor would I consider myself a "casual gamer". Just describing a possible scenario.

Sonic's legs do crazy numbers like that during the opening of Unleashed too, don't they?

I just went back and checked: while his feet do move extremely fast and crazily in that opening, I couldn't see any moments where his legs went through (or on the side of) his body. He just leaned forward while his legs stayed on the bottom of his body.