Awoo.

Classic or Modern Sonic?

Agent York

Aww, no love for the Riders model in here. Its actually one of my personal favorites, because when they do it right, it looks Something like this....

That is slick. Its the right compromise between edgy and traditional for me. I just love it.

I agree. It looks like a cleaner render of the SA2 model. The ingame model however is unbalanced.

Sonic's legs do crazy numbers like that during the opening of Unleashed too, don't they?

I think the reason why they may seem to go through him is because his legs, as they go up, are becoming slightly attached to his sides. It does look a little odd but then again when in fast motion it shouldn't matter. Plus, it bends with the stretchy cartoon physics, which work with classic Sonic, so I don't see the problem there.

I've never watched the Unleashed opening in such detail so I'm not sure. 3D leg movement is something I'd always wondered about though for C.Sonic, so I had to look closely almost right away. And you're right about it not mattering really. All that really matters is that Classic Sonic is back. Six months too later perhaps, but he's back. And at the same time M.Sonic hasn't gone anywhere either.

Eh, maybe I did get a little defensive. People have a right to like what they like. Just questioning why someone would prefer the more cartoonish classic design seems silly to me, and I did see some of that.

That being said, I don't think any version of the modern design is outright hideous except...

popeyesonic.png

Yeah, Riders.

Those still shots do kinda make his legs look a little odd, but SEGA could always tweak around a little. Isn't that what happened with the running animation in Sonic 4?

Not to mention this

popeyesonic.png

His stomach is way too long/stretched out.

spit_take.gif

What the fuck happened there!?

And I can't understand why they like it. It looks like something out of a bad commercial.

Actually...not really, that's tonnes better compared to.......THIS!

mcdonalds_shit_sonic_blog--article_image.jpg

Where that Sonic CAME from a bad commercial.

• Thumbs Up 4

Modern. I love me some modern Sonic~!

He's just so freaking cool. They both scream, "Cool dude with an attitude", but modern Sonic screams it more.

Meh, I don't really give a shit. Though this may be because I knew what modern Sonic looked like before classic Sonic, as I had no idea Sonic once had black eyes until 2005.

IMO, they both have their ups and downs.

Ups (modern Sonic):

*isn't fat

Downs (modern Sonic):

*long limbs make him look awkward at times

*says really dorky lines

*in the most recent game, he has randomly turned into a huge dork

Ups (classic Sonic):

*acts badass in Sonic CD intro

*is more badass in general

*doesn't say any dorky lines

*because the classics didn't have any voice acting, I can easily imagine a deep-voiced cursing black guy voice him, saying things like, "Eggman you mothafucka!" "Fuck, my rings!" "Tails get yo mothafuckin' ass over here!". That in my opinion, would be perfect.

Downs (classic Sonic):

*FATLOL

*looks REALLY stupid and fat in the American box arts (he looks awesome in the Japanese box arts though)

One Model that I really dislike is the DX Model. In Motion, in the cutscenes, it looks so terrible, not to mention it's inconsistent with th rest of the graphic style and it's too shiny.

ss-2.jpg

Very bad attempt to modernise a 1998 game, for 2004, damn Iizuka.

It's interesting hearing views on the SADX model from someone else's perspective. SADX is my first Sonic game. I hardly had any idea what Sonic was beforehand, so to me, the SADX model is Sonic. With the hilarious mouth animations and everything.

EDIT: Also when I look at the model of Dreamcast SA1 Sonic, to me it looks like a really weird/bad classic Sonic with green eyes.

Edited by Chaos Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1

In this new game they gave classic Sonic a major assface, which is somewhat irritating considering that that's my only real problem with Sonic's more recent design. I would have been hoping for maybe a more Sonic World looking model for him.

I'd really be looking for more of a mix, a tweaked version of the Unleashed look with the more, shall we say, approachable face of Oshima's design.

In this new game they gave classic Sonic a major assface, which is somewhat irritating considering that that's my only real problem with Sonic's more recent design. I would have been hoping for maybe a more Sonic World looking model for him.

I'd really be looking for more of a mix, a tweaked version of the Unleashed look with the more, shall we say, approachable face of Oshima's design.

This to the nth degree.

Seriously, I love both designs for different reasons. Modern Sonic gives the sleek athletic vibe, whilst also making sense to animate. The longer limbs mean that his legs can move very quickly without looking like they're clipping. Classic Sonic looks more huggable and cute.

They should take hints from both designs and combine them. Take the original pre-release Unleashed model, keep the green eyes (I like the eyes) just shorten the quill length a tad, and fractionally shorten the limb length and hand/feet size. Have the facial expressions from the classic design, with the wider eyes like Modern. No brow-ridge, save for when needed.

Classic Sonic's model in Generations looks a lot more like his old western appearance than his old Japanese appearance. Personally i've got kinda mixed feelings about that. On one hand, i do think Jap Sonic looks better. But man, seeing old western Sonic in action again is pretty damn sweet for nostalgic reasons. I actually kinda hope that they get him to sound like Jaleel, say "i'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaiting" and obsess over chilli dogs.

Hey yeah, that could actually be a lot of fun, seeing Classic Sonic with his cheesy "extreme" 90's tude interacting with his modern, more mellow self (but then again, as of Sonic Colors, it appears Sega is trying to characterize Modern Sonic as a snarky dude with attitude and cheesy one-liners as well, so i guess maybe there wouldn't be much diffrence between the two).

One Model that I really dislike is the DX Model. In Motion, in the cutscenes, it looks so terrible, not to mention it's inconsistent with th rest of the graphic style and it's too shiny.

ss-2.jpg

Iizuka's not the only person at Sonic Team, you know. That's the art team's fault.

Iizuka's not the only person at Sonic Team, you know. That's the art team's fault.

Not to mention that Iizuka and his brand new Sonic Team brought us this very Trailer. Seriously, stop bagging on the poor fellow

ss-2.jpg

I actually think that model would've looked quite nice if the background was made into a similar graphic style. Quite fond of the idea of a cel-shaded Sonic game. c:

Modern Sonic of course. Classic Sonic is fuckin Mickey Mouse.

Kind of intentional that. He's a rubber-hose character in a slightly modernised (as in 90s) style. Micky Mouse was direct inspiration for Sonic.

Yes, that's why I prefer the modern Sonic. Because his design is more original and independent. This is a separate character with his own style, not a copypaste of another famous character.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Ups (classic Sonic):

*acts badass in Sonic CD intro

*is more badass in general

*doesn't say any dorky lines

He sure did when he steps outside the videogame world, though! He had some really cheesy one-liners and catchphrases back then.

*because the classics didn't have any voice acting, I can easily imagine a deep-voiced cursing black guy voice him, saying things like, "Eggman you mothafucka!" "Fuck, my rings!" "Tails get yo mothafuckin' ass over here!". That in my opinion, would be perfect.

:blink: No! No, no, no, no, no! The classic Sonic sounding like an angry black man and casually dropping f-bombs is really not cool. They should make him a bad-ass without doing all of that mindless swearing.

Edited by sonfan1984

Yes, that's why I prefer the modern Sonic. Because his design is more original and independent. This is a separate character with his own style, not a copypaste of another famous character.

He's not though. He's still clearly a character from an entirely different universe. I will accept that M.Sonic is ever more original looking though.

Isn't there a differenc between "copypasting" something and taking inspiration from something, though?

Yes, I'm probably exaggerating, but I mean that after the modern Sonic, classic seems to be less original in design. If Sonic would not changed his design in 1998, then I would have preferred classic design, but now, when there is a version that is more unique in appearance, I prefer only current one.

And in general, I do not like Unleashed Sonic too. I am a supporter of design from 2001. The most original and badass in my opinion.

• Bad Quality Post 1

He's not though. He's still clearly a character from an entirely different universe. I will accept that M.Sonic is ever more original looking though.

While I'd agree that Modern Sonic looks less like Mickey Mouse, I'd also point out that he seemed to in turn began to resemble Bugs Bunny that little bit more (which I found kinda fitting, considering his place as the Bugs to Mario's Mickey). :P

But then all these characters are kinda built from the same template anyway and each share a good number of elements between themselves, so its understandable how it comes up.

Meh, I like both. I honestly don't think I prefer one over the other. I'll most likely play evenly as each once I get the game.

I am a supporter of design from 2001. The most original and badass in my opinion.

Sonic's model in SA2 looks way too skinny, though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Yes, I'm probably exaggerating, but I mean that after the modern Sonic, classic seems to be less original in design. If Sonic would not changed his design in 1998, then I would have preferred classic design, but now, when there is a version that is more unique in appearance, I prefer only current one.

And in general, I do not like Unleashed Sonic too. I am a supporter of design from 2001. The most original and badass in my opinion.

So, you prefer a 2D render with wonky legs and a constant open-mouth grin? :huh:

That's the only differance from classic Sonic I can think of?