Awoo.

Classic or Modern Sonic?

Agent York

I really like the way they pulled off both designs but, if I really have to choose, I guess I'd go more for the modern design. It's never really bugged me and I just think he looks cool, slim, and athletic. The way someone who runs as fast as he does should look. Plus, I think the way he runs with his arms behind his back has been one of the characteristics people have really noticed about him.

Yes, I'm probably exaggerating, but I mean that after the modern Sonic, classic seems to be less original in design. If Sonic would not changed his design in 1998, then I would have preferred classic design, but now, when there is a version that is more unique in appearance, I prefer only current one.

And in general, I do not like Unleashed Sonic too. I am a supporter of design from 2001. The most original and badass in my opinion.

This topic isn't about Iizuka. Why must every topic suddenly be about Iizuka?

So much disdain for a man who didn't even make close to the worst game in the series.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 3

:blink: No! No, no, no, no, no! The classic Sonic sounding like an angry black man and casually dropping f-bombs is really not cool. They should make him a bad-ass without doing all of that mindless swearing.

When I play the classic games, what I imagine Sonic saying is my natural reaction to the game:

"Fuck, my rings!"

"Fuck, I died!"

"Dammit Tails!" (Sonic 2 Special Stages)

I could easily imagine Sonic saying something like, "Let's kick some ass!"

• Bad Quality Post 1

So, you prefer a 2D render with wonky legs and a constant open-mouth grin? :huh:

That's the only differance from classic Sonic I can think of?

Speak for yourself, I see a lot more differences from the classic in SA2 Sonic than in Unleashed Sonic. In fact, the design from 2008 is a mix of designs from retro-nineties and the modern era as SU designer said in an interview.

That's because you're a massive SA2 fan.

Thanks Captain, but what's the point in telling this?

I like both designs. But I grew up with the Modern Sonic design, so naturally, he's the one I prefer. He just looks cool, with a slick athletic body and that teenage like smile. Seriously, I've never loved Sonic's look more now. His appearance in that teaser is absolutely amazing.

Classic Sonic has his charm too. He looked adorable in the teaser.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really enjoy the most recent appearance of Sonic we've been seeing since Unleashed. I feel it blends both the modern and classic designs pretty well. Plus, there's something about his shoes I really like. Like, ever since Sonic 06 they've been especially big and shiny.

modern sonic's large quills and length will always throw me off so it's classic sonic all the way

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Honestly, I'd love to see what modern Sonic would look like with short quills. I don't think he'd look that bad at all.

This topic isn't about Iizuka. Why must every topic suddenly be about Iizuka?

So much disdain for a man who didn't even make close to the worst game in the series.

Good to see someone else who thinks this. He may not be perfect, but some of the hate people give him is a bit too far.

Edited by Chaosmaster8753

I going to go with the new design, The old one is ok but sonic just looks cooler in his new design. The classic young sonic looks too cute, and I never once thought of a sonic character ( sonic being the first ) to be cute. :o But it happens, I don't even think both sonic's will be playable. Most likely something for the fans, tho I could be wrong. :o

Actually, I do think the ad hominem attacks on Iizuka were a bit much.

Anyway, while the classic design is definitely cuter, he can still be badass in his own right. It really depends on what you do with him.

His Sonic CD appearance has always been one of my favorites. A blend of this an the modern's green eyes and slim body would probably look nice in its own right.

Edited by Mega
  • Thumbs Up 2

This is something I've been itching to point out for a long time, but I couldn't find the official art to back me up on it because most people won't believe me without proof. Hooray for the Retro Wiki.

Classic Sonic has grey irises.

sonic_classic_off_art_soccer.jpg

This is the example where you can see it most clearly, but it shows up on the bulk of the Sonic Jam official art gallery.

I'm guessing that back in the 90s it was too difficult to get that subtle distinction to show up in-game so it's been slyly omitted from the game sprites. IMO he looks much better with them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Speak for yourself, I see a lot more differences from the classic in SA2 Sonic than in Unleashed Sonic. In fact, the design from 2008 is a mix of designs from retro-nineties and the modern era as SU designer said in an interview.

I noticed this, as you compare Sonic Adventure 2' model to Sonic Unleashed and notice how Sonic is shorter and slightly pudgier but the long quills and green eyes are stil there!

This is something I've been itching to point out for a long time, but I couldn't find the official art to back me up on it because most people won't believe me without proof. Hooray for the Retro Wiki.

Classic Sonic has grey irises.

*SONIC FOOTBALL*

This is the example where you can see it most clearly, but it shows up on the bulk of the Sonic Jam official art gallery.

I'm guessing that back in the 90s it was too difficult to get that subtle distinction to show up in-game so it's been slyly omitted from the game sprites. IMO he looks much better with them.

Depends on the art, dude.

Sonic1.png

No iris, just a brown highlight. I'd take the artwork made for games specifically as more accurate that some of those odd pieces.

Seems to depend on the year the art was made too though, the ones with the iris colour seem to be newer than the ones without excluding the few complex pieces where Sonic is too far away to see the irises anyway. By the time the change was made the world was already flooded with official and semi-official art without them.

It would be nice if it got a mention somewhere though, it makes a lot more sense than the glass eyes look which looks incredibly weird out of sprite form.

:blink: No! No, no, no, no, no! The classic Sonic sounding like an angry black man and casually dropping f-bombs is really not cool. They should make him a bad-ass without doing all of that mindless swearing.

Yes, because only white people say the whole word and not shortchange the -er.

"Lets go motherfucker."

Modern Sonic all the way. The design pretty much screams attitude.

That said, Classic Sonic looked quite adorable in that new trailer that just came out a few days ago. ^_^

Looks like Destructoid wants to weigh in on the classic vs. modern debate. Warning: The article has ponies.

Edited by BlazingTales

sega facebook likes to think otherwise as I was right about this forum being majority of modern sonic gamers as the facebook considers classic sonic as better sonic, they are taking votes.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 3