Awoo.

Classic or Modern Sonic?

Agent York

sega facebook likes to think otherwise as I was right about this forum being majority of modern sonic gamers as the facebook considers classic sonic as better sonic, they are taking votes.

Ahem. I've been playing these games since 1994/5. Sonic 2 is the first game I've ever played, and remains my favourite to this date, closely followed by 1 and 3&K. Hell, I don't think any 3D game has even come close to matching any of the classics. (though I have enjoyed them in their own way). Yet, I prefer the modern design. So yeah... please don't assume. c:

Also... I call bullcrap on that poll based on some of the comments. Whether Sonic has a voice and the quality of the games each design has appeared in should not be a factor in which is the better model.

• Thumbs Up 1

sega facebook likes to think otherwise as I was right about this forum being majority of modern sonic gamers as the facebook considers classic sonic as better sonic, they are taking votes.

^It's been obvious that this place has waaaaaaaay more modern fans than classic. Didn't need the Facebook poll to tell me that.

I am surprised that Modern Sonic is getting spanked that bad though. I though he'd at least be at a third of what Classic Sonic is. Damn.

I don't really have a clear favorite myself. It's like Classic MegaMan and X to me. Both have their own perks that I enjoy. If I had to choose one, it would be Modern Sonic I guess, but the Unleashed/Colors model only. Otherwise, probably Classic.

Edited by sonfan1984

I am surprised that Modern Sonic is getting spanked that bad though. I though he'd at least be at a third of what Classic Sonic is.

^It's been obvious that this place has waaaaaaaay more modern fans than classic. Didn't need the Facebook poll to tell me that.

I am surprised that Modern Sonic is getting spanked that bad though. I though he'd at least be at a third of what Classic Sonic is. Damn.

I don't really have a clear favorite myself. It's like Classic MegaMan and X to me. Both have their own perks that I enjoy. If I had to choose one, it would be Modern Sonic I guess, but the Unleashed/Colors model only. Otherwise, probably Classic.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Personally, I would vote for classic Sonic's design in the Facebook poll as well, even though I love the modern design equally (if not more). The classic design is quite cute and I wouldn't mind seeing it in future titles -if only to appease retro fans- so maybe the poll will encourage Sega to keep it around as an extra.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, thats easy seeing as the classic sonic hasn't been around in a decade and you like both equally as you said you would prob pick classic since we haven't seen him in a new title for like what 13 years?

OR it might encourage Sega to completely replace the modern model with the classic model.

Be careful what you vote for... =P

• Thumbs Up 2

That's true, but I don't feel we have anything to worry about. Modern Sonic (and his respective titles) has a MUCH larger audience than classic Sonic does, so dropping Sonic's current, iconic appearance for future would not be a smart business move.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sometimes it seems like Sonic Fans always have to find something to be super divided over. I like both versions of Sonic, but I like Modern more.

And even then, the people who voted in the poll don't even make up half of the fans on the Sonic Facebook page.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 7

Actually it is a smart move seeing as casual people prefer the classic sonic in the 90s which spawned a ballon in 1993 in which mario didn't have.

• Thumbs Up 6

Actually it is a smart move seeing as casual people prefer the classic sonic in the 90s which spawned a ballon in 1993 in which mario didn't have. Current Sonic isn't as iconic as classic sonic I don't even find Current sonic to be iconic at all tbh.
  • Thumbs Up 3

I still like him though but he will be crushed like he deserves for stealing those 13 years from classic sonic.

Edited by sonfan1984

Reading these topics, I'm so glad most Sonic fans won't ever touch the management of a business. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

This "war" seems small fry to me. You haven't lived through a redesign war until you've seen the CTTR character redesign war. For those on the not-so-feverently-pro-classic side, it was horrific. The images of the old designs killing the redesigns, the death threats to Kirsten, the absolute befoulment of the game before it even came out based on that one little factor...My God. I was only 13 at the time, and it gave my innocent, naive mind a shock. Not even the redesigns of the characters in 2007 came close to touching the anarchy that was the CTTR war.

So, when you're lying in bed tonight, thinking about the poll, wondering how fans could be that stupidly obsessed and unruly, I'll be thanking my stars for how peaceful it is.

Because you never forget the CTTR war.

You never will.

Plus, there's the CSonic/MSonic pictures to balance out the hate and tension, but that kind of kills the melodrama.

but more than the half you say prob prefer classic sonic seeing as the results from casual people on facebook crush sonic stadium and sega forums combined.

The Sonic fandom isn't only the Sega Forums, SSMB, and Facebook. It is one of the most diverse fanbases out there with multiple tribes communicating with each other simultaneously. I, for one, go on the SSMB and Sega boards (although much less than before on the Sega boards as its hostility's driving me away) and NOT Facebook. Several people join multiple communities, while several join one or another, too.

And those who vote Classic over Sonic (or vice-versa) can mean several things, such as:

1. They may be voting on the design from the trailer on its own.

2. Nostalgia — Read sites where there's a ton of Classic purism. One section I went to admitted to getting a lot of nostalgia just by viewing the Classic design.

3. A possible method of spamming the poll just to increase the poll count. (I don't use FB, but a member on the Sega Forums does and voted for both designs, first for Classic and Modern after clearing his tracking cookies.)

Sonic isn't only about casual audiences. There are hardcore audiences and everyone else in between. Young, old, whatever.

And there is a big audience that you're forgetting: children. Most of the audience voting are at least thirteen. The generation being targeted are below it; they make up a big proportion of Sonic's demographic.

Actually it is a smart move seeing as casual people prefer the classic sonic in the 90s which spawned a ballon in 1993 in which mario didn't have. Current Sonic isn't as iconic as classic sonic I don't even find Current sonic to be iconic at all tbh.

Read Blazing's piece. He explained the flaws in your argument well.

And for ad nauseum's sake, I'll reiterate: Sonic's popularity didn't boom in 1993. It became popular prior to that date via Sonic 2 on the Genesis and even its prequel.

I still like him though but he will be crushed like he deserves for stealing those 13 years from classic sonic.
Classic Sonic never "stole" the Modern one's spotlight from anyone. All the Modern model did was update him so he and the rest would look good in a 3D rendering. Now with 3D design being much more sophisticated than before, the Classic design can be rendered without looking troublesome. However, I really doubt the Modern model will be ditched (hopefully), for he's a big icon to newcomers, the younger generation, and many more who connect themselves to the Modern model the most. Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 1

What's CTTR, though? :o Now I'm curious.

...Did I not say what it was? Oh, um, that might kill the mood a bit.

Crash Tag Team Racing. You've probably seen it on a shelf once, thought "Huh, another Crash karter thing, I thought he'd disappeared years ago", then put it down again due to lack of interest. Yes, that game, that's a non-canon spinn-off in the franchise may I add, caused the most extreme redesign war I've ever witnessed. Just to add, the not-so-feverently-pro-classic side was a minority.

Edit: And...ninja'd. :/

I only brought it up to say that the current fight going on as a result of Generations wasn't so bad to me.

Edited by VEAM-F

Crash Tag Team Racing. You've probably seen it on a shelf once, thought "Huh, another Crash karter thing, I thought he'd disappeared years ago", then put it down again due to lack of interest. Yes, that game, that's a non-canon spinn-off in the franchise may I add, caused the most extreme redesign war I've ever witnessed. Just to add, the not-so-feverently-pro-classic side was a minority.

Wait what... There were re-designs in Crash Tag Team Racing? Well... Coco had a different shirt I guess... and Crunch got a funky new hair style, but I don't remember any big changes... Nothing worth the fuss you're implying. o_O;;

See? It was much worse than what we have now.

To be fair, there was a factor not controllable on the part of Radical and irrelevant to us; At the time, there was this one fan, Tani Tiger, and she was pretty much the ruler of the Crash fandom. Yes, the fandom was of such nature that there could be fans that had more say on that the fandom thought than others. She was a real big Crunch fan, and still is if I'm right in saying that X-Treme Island is still going. She, however, preferred his look and attitude in WoC. When Radical ignored that for putting their nicer, more caring and slightly goofier-looking Crunch in CTTR, she went berserk and so everyone else followed her. The only fans against her were a band of rebel fans who couldn't put up with her crap, including me and certain other fans who now form a good bulk of the Crash Mania forums.

And now we're going wildly off-topic, back to the implications of what impact this poll will have, if any! I don't think it will have any, it's all just harmless (in a SEGA trolling way) fun!

Edited by VEAM-F

My opinion about wanting classic sonic had been trashed so many times at the SEGA boards and I felt rediculous sometimes having such an opinion. Remarks about nostalgia goggles, remarks about that i'm a purist blabla.

Seems like Sega forums and sonicstadium are indeed a small part of the much larger sonic community opinion.

Edited by Jaouad

My opinion about wanting classic sonic had been trashed so many times at the SEGA boards and I felt rediculous sometimes having such an opinion. Remarks about nostalgia goggles, remarks about that i'm a purist blabla.

Seems like Sega forums and sonicstadium are indeed a small part of the much larger sonic community opinion.

Indeed, I knew sonic was way popular before 1993 like I didn't know that lmfao.... Seeing people protect the modern side is funny because over half of those games are failure and didnt give the artistic feel of a true sonic game like the classics. Now its more of an anime epic quest dbz rip off with super forms equaling serious buisness spawning fanfictional characters with quils similar to super sayian 3 goku it is bad indeed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 4

Indeed, I knew sonic was way popular before 1993 like I didn't know that lmfao.... Seeing people protect the modern side is funny because over half of those games are failure and didnt give the artistic feel of a true sonic game like the classics. Now its more of an anime epic quest dbz rip off with super forms equaling serious buisness spawning fanfictional characters with quils similar to super sayian 3 goku it is bad indeed.

So, you quote a post talking about how it sucks to have an opinion trashed with "indeed", and then proceed to trash everyone who prefers the modern design's opinions?

...Seriously?

Edited by gamerguy21
  • Thumbs Up 1