Awoo.

Classic or Modern Sonic?

Agent York

Indeed, I knew sonic was way popular before 1993 like I didn't know that lmfao.... Seeing people protect the modern side is funny because over half of those games are failure and didnt give the artistic feel of a true sonic game like the classics. Now its more of an anime epic quest dbz rip off with super forms equaling serious buisness spawning fanfictional characters with quils similar to super sayian 3 goku it is bad indeed.

See, comments like this is the reason why some people don't like you classic Sonic fans. You guys are way too stuck up. Nobody was even trashing C.Sonic in this topic for you to make such a comment like that.

• Thumbs Up 3

See, comments like this is the reason why some people don't like you classic Sonic fans. You guys are way too stuck up. Nobody was even trashing C.Sonic in this topic for you to make such a comment like that.

either do people saying or calling us names but lets look at it this way if modern sonic wasnt invented this fanbase prob wouldnt be considered bad think of that in your head because it is true no matter how much you deny it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 3

either do people saying or calling us names but lets look at it this way if modern sonic wasnt invented this fanbase prob wouldnt be considered bad think of that in your head because it is true no matter how much you deny it.

It's hard to get anything in my head after trying to make sense out of what you're saying.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

The main reason this fanbase is so divided/bad is because of all the different directions Sonic has gone in recent years, which has lead to games of questionable quality. Even if Sonic stuck with his classic design, the franchise would still be in the same state, and thus, the fanbase would be in the same state. The only difference would be the lack of "Classic Sonic vs Modern Sonic" debates, simply due to the lack of Modern Sonic. Classic Sonic doesn't magically change the quality of the a game (or the series as a whole).

PS: Up until "lets look at it this way", I have no idea what you were trying to say.

• Thumbs Up 2

The main reason this fanbase is so divided/bad is because of all the different directions Sonic has gone in recent years, which has lead to games of questionable quality. Even if Sonic stuck with his classic design, the franchise would still be in the same state, and thus, the fanbase would be in the same state. The only difference would be the lack of "Classic Sonic vs Modern Sonic" debates, simply due to the lack of Modern Sonic. Classic Sonic doesn't magically change the quality of the a game (or the series as a whole).

PS: Up until "lets look at it this way", I have no idea what you were trying to say.

not really your not all those people or know what they think classic sonic returning and the hype for it is enough to say general audience prefer him more. Its kinda obvious you prefer modern more, no classic sonic on your user whatsoever, enough said, defend your modern sonic but hell be crushed on the polls and read the comments from general auidence on facebook they prefer classic. Modern sonic is for new generation younger auidence while classic sonic appeals to all, the polls will reveal the truth.

Edited by 1991sealedquality
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 4

not really your not all those people or know what they think classic sonic returning and the hype for it is enough to say general audience prefer him more.

...Ok? Doesn't really matter if the general audience prefers him more* or how much hype there is, my point still stands: Classic Sonic doesn't magically improve game quality=Classic Sonic doesn't magically improve franchise quality=Classic Sonic doesn't magically improve state of fanbase. For example, Sonic 06 would have been just as bad with Classic Sonic. No amount of preference or hype (which Sonic 06 did have plenty of) would have changed that.

*Although can that really be deduced from a Facebook poll, especially when most of Sonic's target audience isn't even old enough to use Facebook?

Its kinda obvious you prefer modern more, no classic sonic on your user whatsoever, enough said, defend your modern sonic but hell be crushed on the polls

As I said in my original post in this topic: I like BOTH modern and classic, but I simply prefer modern. Just because I don't have Classic Sonic in my avatar or anything like that doesn't mean I hate him or have some sort of childish bias against him or anything. I'm simply arguing your points because I see flaws in them.

• Thumbs Up 2

not really your not all those people or know what they think classic sonic returning and the hype for it is enough to say general audience prefer him more. Its kinda obvious you prefer modern more, no classic sonic on your user whatsoever, enough said, defend your modern sonic but hell be crushed on the polls and read the comments from general auidence on facebook they prefer classic. Modern sonic is for new generation younger auidence while classic sonic appeals to all, the polls will reveal the truth.

And you're completely missing his point entirely. All you seem to care about is a stupid poll on facebook and mocking people who likes M.Sonic. So what if more people on facebook perfer C.Sonic. He's saying that if they've brought classic Sonic back in the more recent games, it's not going to change the quality or make the games any better. If they brought C.Sonic back for the 15th anniversary game, the game will still suck and no amount of favoritism over C.Sonic's design is going to change that.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 2

Why the hell did that facebook poll get dragged into a thread asking about which model you prefer?

• Thumbs Up 3

We appear to be attracting official Sega forum rejects again, that's why.

Incidentally I've yet to give my own view in this topic because I honestly can't make my mind up, but if I was forced to pick one I'd pick Modern Sonic.

It's not clear-cut for me though.

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Yo, Captain Delusional. Four things:

First off, the Facebook polls hardly speak a grain of salt over the general audience. They don't represent them any more than any other poll regarding who prefers what. So even if Modern Sonic did get crushed on the polls, what the fuck does that prove overall? That 9000+ people prefer the Classic design by comparison? Let alone the fact that 9000 people don't even make up anywhere close to half the overall fans. Sonic 06 is the worst game in Sonic's history, and yet that game sold 900,000 copies* despite it's quality; that says quite a lot about how many people are paying attention, and that's only in spite of the fact that there is no clear indication on how deep each of the 900,000 people who bought it are into the series thanks to the internet.

Secondly, this truth you speak of doesn't exist. It's all personal preference. Despite the interests between the older fans and younger ones, there are plenty of older fans who just so happen to prefer the Modern Sonic design over the Classic one, and I happen to be one of those people despite liking both. That's part of the freaking point they're bringing Classic Sonic back in the first place, because they know that there are people with preferences of the old and what to give them that taste they want. This is fan service at most; they didn't have to give older fans (or fans in general) anything.

Third, Sonic's intended general audience was always aimed at kids since day one. It just so happens that the kids back before the Modern Sonic was created went and grew up into adults. Yet even to this day, Sonic is aimed at kids. The only thing is that SEGA do in fact know that there were adults who enjoyed Sonic as kids when they introduced him, so they're trying to keep them in mind along with the children of today whom they're also aiming him at. And also, understand that not all of these kids are going to be old enough to be on Facebook to know about this poll. That means that this younger audience isn't going to be as involved in the poll than the older audience.

And lastly, not you, me, nor anyone else can speak for the fanbase as a whole on who wants what. Not on Facebook, not on DeviantArt, not here on the SSMB, and pretty much anywhere on and off the Internet. So quit trying. There are various fans out there who happen to have different taste, and they manage to find other people who share their tastes, but that's it. You can't take a poll and decide "the general audience wants this", it doesn't work that way.

*Minor correction, 1 Million units. But this is based off of VGChartz, which I'm not sure how fully accurate it is.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, if there was to be a "Classic Sonic Vs Modern Sonic" poll where only people under the age of 12 or so would be allowed to vote, Classic Sonic would be the one to be crushed.

And as popular as Sonic still is among older gamers, kids under 12 are the foremost consumers of Sonic games and merchandise, so yeah, their opinion counts to Sega whether the older fans like it or not.

You can have polls at any sonic website. Wether it's sonicretro or here. The results will always be baced on what the website represents and the little few 100 of people it attracts of the whole fanbase, which exists of millions.

Facebook is a different case however. You'll find everyone over there so classic sonic winning by such a large scale does mean something in my eyes. I never even knew that there were so many of them. There aren't 9000 people members at this or any other fan website. I think SEGA forums at least got the most and even there classic fans got trashed for having their requests about wanting classic sonic back.

Facebook reaches more than just the few around here or any other fan website. It reaches most of the people in the world. It probably reaches many of the lost fans and those who aren't really big fans anymore. Those who do not visit fansites and anticipate news like us. Alot might also be non fans that simply enjoyed the older games and everything around it from the 90's and easily moved on.

The thing for me personally that makes me smile is not the fact that classic sonic is beating modern sonic in the poll, but the fact that the opinion of liking the classic sonic is shared by more than just a few. Classic sonic is awesome. I wanted him back for so long but yet I always got trashed for it because "THEIR THE SAME DAMN CHARACTER GET OVER IT". I mean they are, but the differences between them exist

Classic sonic finally getting such recognition is just a blast for me to see. But of course you never know. A few 1000's do not make a million or 2. It still needs time. The results could still make modern sonic the winner but it'd still be nice knowing classic sonic is still loved by many.

Edited by Jaouad
  • Thumbs Up 2

Now its more of an anime epic quest dbz rip off with super forms equaling serious buisness spawning fanfictional characters with quils similar to super sayian 3 goku it is bad indeed.

>Bash the modern titles for having Super forms - an aspect of the franchise that, whilst still a blatant parody of Dragon Ball's Super Saiyan forms, has been a series staple since Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

>Have Super Sonic as your avatar.

what

Anywho, I've been a fan of this series since Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and I like both the modern and classic Japanese designs just fine. Why, the only one that I don't like is the bastardized western box art Sonic from the olden days:

westernsonic2small.png

Jesus Christ, how horrifying.

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 1

>Bash the modern titles for having Super forms - an aspect of the franchise that, whilst still a blatant parody of Dragon Ball's Super Saiyan forms, have been a series staple since Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

>Have Super Sonic as your avatar.

what

It's even more hypocritical when Sonic 3 & Knuckles has its very own Super Saiyan 2 with Hyper Sonic and modern games since then haven't used the form since.

• Thumbs Up 1

Facebook is not representative because mainly adults are voting. These are the people who played and grew up with classic Sonic. Naturally, the nostalgia will crush the endless dissapointments.

• Thumbs Up 2

Facebook is not representative because mainly adults are voting. These are the people who played and grew up with classic Sonic. Naturally, the nostalgia will crush the endless dissapointments.

It also probably doesn't help you can vote more than once.

When it comes to design, it's Modern Sonic since there is something about that makes it awesome and badass at the same time. When it comes to attitude it's Classic since I like how he's a show off and badass like how's he depicted in Sonic CD but overall I like Modern now since the way he's depicted is kinda great but the attitude is not much like the Classic one.

Wow nice comeback there. :rolleyes:

That poll doesn't have any effect on me so no matter how many times you keep bragging about how many votes Classic Sonic has or feel the need to keep shoving it down our throats, it's not going to change my opinion and how I feel about it. I didn't want to vote at all cause there's not a option for people who likes them both.

dont be mad bros anyways classic sonic for the win I know this forum is flooded with modernists anyways so anythin you say will have no effect LOL.

Man I havent had to deal with these kinds of statements since that whole Sonic 4 debocle in the Sega forums.

I voted for the modern model because the classic model in 3D looks like a running plush toy to me. They've only ever made one classic model that appealed to me in 3D and that was in the anime sequence's from CD. If it came down to 2D I'd choose classic Sonic in a split second, since the only model that I've ever come close to liking in 2D was his Sonic 4 version.

Edited by Balding Spider

dont be mad bros anyways classic sonic for the win I know this forum is flooded with modernists anyways so anythin you say will have no effect LOL.

Apparently you don't know anything, as this forum is actually flooded by people who are severely allergic to bullshit regardless of who's doing it. It doesn't matter which side your on here, a modern fan isn't going to get away with spouting off anything similar to what your saying, so your not getting any special attention on this.

We happen to have fans from all sides, so modern fans dont dominate over classic fans and vice versa. So do yourself a favor and pay attention, will ya?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well, the civility didn't last as long as I would've preferred.

ITT: Lots of modern fans get ultra defensive, paranoid and whiny because classic Sonic is winning a poll. Lots of classic fans act all high and mighty and purist-like because their beloved Sonic is getting more votes. Meanwhile, in-between fans get sick of both sides being so whiny and putting generalizations on both sides. :/

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, the civility didn't last as long as I would've preferred.

ITT: Lots of modern fans get ultra defensive, paranoid and whiny because classic Sonic is winning a poll. Lots of classic fans act all high and mighty and purist-like because their beloved Sonic is getting more votes. Meanwhile, in-between fans get sick of both sides being so whiny and putting generalizations on both sides. :/

I wonder if this still would've happenend if they had a 'both' option on the poll, because it seems the debate from the Generations topic obviously transferred itself here.

Yeah, because its not like no one explicitly said they grew up in the 90's and prefer the modern model.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow =/ I can't believe this is STILL an issue....

But anyway, to try and stay on-topic, I.. don't know. They honestly look very, very similar. In fact, besides the eye color, classic Sonic just looks like a younger Sonic. Heck, in Sonic Adventure, Sonic still looked very stout and round. Sure, he had green eyes and was a bit more sleek, but Sonic's change seemed gradual, from Adventure to Heroes to 2006 to Unleashed (which made Sonic a bit rounder after 2006). It seems like he truly grew as the games progressed.

With that said... I prefer the current design. Only because I've grown used to the sleek, cool, lanky Sonic, as he fits in with the "cool blue dude with 'tude" description, and while seeing the classic Sonic is an amazing blast from the past, when he's next to the current Sonic, he just looks cute and awkward. And don't me wrong, I like that! It's part of the classic, nostalgic appeal, and yes, my heart skipped a beat when I saw classic Sonic, too. My preference just has to do with the perception of Sonic that's been burned into my brain over the years, as well as the fact that I really don't wannna see a regression with the character designs.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wow =/ I can't believe this is STILL an issue....

I and perhaps most of us on this forum, know the feeling too.