Awoo.

Classic or Modern Sonic?

Agent York

Wow =/ I can't believe this is STILL an issue....

But anyway, to try and stay on-topic, I.. don't know. They honestly look very, very similar. In fact, besides the eye color, classic Sonic just looks like a younger Sonic. Heck, in Sonic Adventure, Sonic still looked very stout and round. Sure, he had green eyes and was a bit more sleek, but Sonic's change seemed gradual, from Adventure to Heroes to 2006 to Unleashed (which made Sonic a bit rounder after 2006). It seems like he truly grew as the games progressed.

Tell that to the rest of the fanbase, they may as well be two different charcters as far as they're concerned.

ITT: Lots of modern fans get ultra defensive, paranoid and whiny because classic Sonic is winning a poll. Lots of classic fans act all high and mighty and purist-like because their beloved Sonic is getting more votes. Meanwhile, in-between fans get sick of both sides being so whiny and putting generalizations on both sides. :/

I'm not bothered that C.Sonic is winning cause that's pretty much expected. I'm happy for C.Sonic. I'm happy to see that he's back but I also like the M.Sonic, too. They're both Sonic to me. I love them both equally. They both have their up's and downs.

Edited by sonfan1984

Well, the civility didn't last as long as I would've preferred.

And all it took was recently joined member to bring his arrogance to disrupt the peace.

Real classy, huh?

ITT: Lots of modern fans get ultra defensive, paranoid and whiny because classic Sonic is winning a poll. Lots of classic fans act all high and mighty and purist-like because their beloved Sonic is getting more votes. Meanwhile, in-between fans get sick of both sides being so whiny and putting generalizations on both sides. :/

Because it is so much fun to call either side out on their arrogance/paranoia/whininess. :)

I'm not bothered that C.Sonic is winning cause that's pretty much expected. I'm happy for C.Sonic. I'm happy to see that he's back but I also like the M.Sonic, too. They're both Sonic to me. I love them both equally. They both have their up's and downs.

Exactly how I feel, except I slightly prefer classic Sonic.

I still don't see the point in bickering over which is superior, or getting worried that one will forever replace the other. Both are amazing, and I'm pretty sure this poll (as well as the Generations video) are intended to let us know that neither Sonic are to disappear anytime soon. And that is 100% a-ok with me, bros!

And all it took was recently joined member to bring his arrogance to disrupt the peace.

Real classy, huh?

Haha, too true! XD

Because it is so much fun to call either side out on their arrogance/paranoia/whininess. :)

This is true as well, but then again I like to see some sense of maturity going on, and I hate to see that after a while of actually having reasonable conversation it all comes loose over a couple of purists from both sides and a silly FB poll.

Edited by Azukara

I'm still having difficulty fathoming that there is such a poll, yet alone that C.Sonic is back.

It's not butthurt to say that you're not delusional for liking any current Sonic model or game is it?

• Thumbs Up 2

Since I haven't stated which I prefer, it is Modern Sonic for all the reasons everyone has already stated. I do not hate Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic just won by a hair and the fact that I was 4 when I played his games and I was 9 when I played SA. So yeah. Sonic Generations better be awesome because I am sick of Sega half-assing games for the PS3.

Since I haven't stated which I prefer, it is Modern Sonic for all the reasons everyone has already stated. I do not hate Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic just won by a hair and the fact that I was 4 when I played his games and I was 9 when I played SA. So yeah. Sonic Generations better be awesome because I am sick of Sega half-assing games for the PS3.

To go back on my previous post, I like Classic Sonic better for the most part. He just seems more timeless and appealing, while modern is marred by a few too many attempts in artwork (EXTREEEME face), and gameplay ('06's "angry all the time" model) of trying too hard to look "cool".

Though I will say that I think that at his best (Unleashed, Colors, whenever he doesn't have a toothy grin in most of a game's artwork), I'd say modern Sonic is about on par with Classic.

Edited by Ekaje

Man, they actually did went with Sonic's old western look for this game. Bringing back Sonic's classic look was unexpected enough, but brining back Sonic's classic western look... I would never in my wildest dreams have thought that Sega would do that. I guess they realized that fugly as it may be (let's just be honest now), it is still the version that people were most used to seeing back in the olden days, on posters, manuals, TV cartoons, merchandise and whatnot (and the in-game sprite-Sonic's were of course always basic enough that they could just as easily be interpreted as western Sonic as they could japanese Sonic). Way to shoot the nostalgia factor through the roof Sega! :)

Man, they actually did went with Sonic's old western look for this game. Bringing back Sonic's classic look was unexpected enough, but brining back Sonic's classic western look... I would never in my wildest dreams have thought that Sega would do that. I guess they realized that fugly as it may be (let's just be honest now), it is still the version that people were most used to seeing back in the olden days, on posters, manuals, TV cartoons, merchandise and whatnot (and the in-game sprite-Sonic's were of course always basic enough that they could just as easily be interpreted as western Sonic as they could japanese Sonic). Way to shoot the nostalgia factor through the roof Sega! :)

I dunno, he's still more of a mix than one way Japanese or American. Look at those spikes, the the his face isn't fixed with angry eyes and the size and shape of his body. He's like Japanse C.Sonic with all the American features. A damn sexy mix.

I can easily see that render shows him taking too much vibes from western classic Sonic.

Could also be why I think it looks absolutely terrible. :|

Was thinking of modern Sonic just because I like the character design more, but after all the arguing and debates, I prefer to go with the "Sonic is Sonic" comment on Wrecks. At some point I just stopped caring about which model people choose

It's weird... I love the way Classic Sonic looked in the trailer, but he's pretty ugly on that temp cover. I'm pretty sure most of it is that gigantic brow; he looks like he's wearing a Star Trek alien-of-the-week forehead prosthetic. He's also a little too short to make the crossed leg thing look casual, so he sort of looks like he's curtsying instead, but that's really just nitpicking. Most of it's the damn forehead.

On the other hand, Modern Sonic looks really good there, even in comparison to a lot of other recent renders. I don't know if it's just because he's standing next to that, but he just gives off a really cool vibe. I approve.

• Thumbs Up 2

Repeating what has already been said I prefer Classic Sonic to modern, he just has the look of a timeless character for all ages. However that covers american styled render of Sonic isn't that appealing to look at, its not as bad as the one on the European cover of Sonic 3D: Flickies Island but it still doesn't look all that great.

The cover is a placeholder, though. I imagine he'll look better in the actual game; he certainly looked nice in the trailer, after all.

They probably just wanted to mimic the Sonic 1 art.

Talk about a reverse effect. Classic Sonic in that boxart looks way better than he did in the trailer. I always liked the western boxart of sonic 1. I still can't get over how boring the current modern sonic looks though. And that image just makes it worse for me because to the left classic has so much 'tude, and to the right... it's like the artists sucked the life out of him. C'mon Yuji Uekawa, what happened to you?!

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly believe classic Sonic looks dreadful on that cover. His muzzle seems so huge, that smirk is ugly, and he looks way too westernized compared to the Japanese classic Sonic; and for all the wrong reasons. I was able to hold back on commenting about it in the Generations trailer since it wasn't nearly as pronounced, but holy crap it looks horrible in this picture. The unreasonable shortness in comparison to modern Sonic is ridiculous as well. Yes I know classic Sonic is short, but he isn't that short! He should seem to come up to modern's nose in height, not the middle of his torso.

Hate to say this, but I'm gonna put it bluntly: modern Sonic looks miles better than classic in that render. I hope they fix that before the final boxart is made.

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly believe classic Sonic looks dreadful on that cover. His muzzle seems so huge, that smirk is ugly, and he looks way too westernized compared to the Japanese classic Sonic; and for all the wrong reasons. I was able to hold back on commenting about it in the Generations trailer since it wasn't nearly as pronounced, but holy crap it looks horrible in this picture. The unreasonable shortness in comparison to modern Sonic is ridiculous as well. Yes I know classic Sonic is short, but he isn't that short! He should seem to come up to modern's nose in height, not the middle of his torso.

Hate to say this, but I'm gonna put it bluntly: modern Sonic looks miles better than classic in that render. I hope they fix that before the final boxart is made.

• Thumbs Up 1