Awoo.

What stages do you want to see in Sonic Generations?

Agent York

I think I'm going to buck the trend here a little and hark back to the awesome concepts of the Game Gear titles.

I for one would be ecstatic if Crystal Egg could return in glorious HD - quite possibly the cutest level ever. It always threw me back when I was younger because after the hell of figuring out all the emerald locations in Sonic 2 GG, the resulting secret level was just so... pretty. To think that just before it was an apocalyptic, rocky, tube-infested, neon landscape (with music I'm desperate to remix properly.) Having said that, Scrambled Egg Zone would be crazy-awesome.

Moving on, Sunset Park Zone in Triple Trouble. Minecarts in the sunset before an epic robo-train heist (and THAT music!)

To be more contemporary however, some of the wackier tropes from the Advance games deserve acknowledgement, such as Music Plant and Toy Kingdom. Fits really well into the surrealist visuals of Sonic Colours.

@Spundi, I'd LOVE to see Sunset Park make a comeback. Take that environment and throw in some elements from Radical Train and you'll have yourself an awesome level.

Lava Reef/Hidden Palace.

Great stage and great atmosphere. I'd love to be able to see the vastness of the underground volcanic cave in Glorious HD using Unleashed's artstyle. Oh it would be spectacular. Hidden Palace, because I love the crystalline look it has, that in HD would also look brilliant. Also I love the music for both Laval Reef and Hidden Palace.

Sky Sanctuary.

I just love the stage and its music. If that were to be orchestrated, hoo boy, it would be epic.

Aquatic Ruin

Perfect water-based stage for me. Its a water stage where the water is actually a hazard and if you're skillful enough can avoid altogether. Rewards skill in just the right way. Also love that music.

Final Rush

Multiple routes galore, and really effective rail grinding that was dependant on momentum and such. A lot of platforming. If they remade the stage and reduced the number of rails and added some more platforming (a la Final Chase), it would be perfect.

@BD3: Elements of Radical Train? I guess so, though that game is slightly tainted for me :) The high-speed section would be very fitting for it.

Thinking of that and brought up earlier in the topic I think, Kingdom Valley's high-speed section would be awesome in the Unleashed/Colours style of gameplay. It would also look beautiful.

Final Rush

Only if they bring back SA2 style grinding. As people have been saying at Retro, grinding nowadays sucks as the rails are little more than automated paths.

Only if they bring back SA2 style grinding. As people have been saying at Retro, grinding nowadays sucks as the rails are little more than automated paths.

That's what I mean.

I actually think that Sonic Team should take a page from EA Canada's book with regards to SSX(HD). Each course in that game is being designed to be a physics playground. I also think that Sonic stages should be large physics playgrounds, but with more than just snow and ice.

If grinding is implemented in Sonic games, how it has been implemented in SSX games it would be perfect. You can grind on anything thin and "Grindable", but you don't have long stretches of rail over a bottomless pit (ahem Rail Canyon).

I just love the stage and its music. If that were to be orchestrated, hoo boy, it would be epic.

:D

On topic: Can i ask a question? Why did Sean lock the Generations topic? Now we've just got 5 mini-topics. Sean's such a killjoy. :angry:

Edited by MobileChikane

I think the discarded Hidden Palace Zone from Sonic 2 beta could be gorgeous in 3D... but there's zero chance of it happening.

Hydrocity would be my next choice.

On topic: Can i ask a question? Why did Sean lock the Generations topic? Now we've just got 5 mini-topics. Sean's such a killjoy. :angry:

I actually prefer to have individual topics to talk about specific points. The original topic was filled with a bit of everything, it was hard to keep track of the discussions (and there was a bit too much randomness at times).

:D

Yup, Sean's a killjoy. It's not like any of us asked that the topic be locked or anything...

Because whenever a new Sonic game is announced and a single topic is made on it, it automatically becomes Off-Topic: The Topic after a few dozen pages.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because whenever a new Sonic game is announced and a single topic is made on it, it automatically becomes Off-Topic: The Topic after a few dozen pages.

So why not create a sub-forum.

Yes we don't know much about it, but its still an upcoming game. At least that way the Generations topics can be in the appropriate place.

@BD3: Elements of Radical Train? I guess so, though that game is slightly tainted for me :) The high-speed section would be very fitting for it.

Thinking of that and brought up earlier in the topic I think, Kingdom Valley's high-speed section would be awesome in the Unleashed/Colours style of gameplay. It would also look beautiful.

Yeah I mentioned Kingdom Valley earlier, it coming back would be awesome. Sonic 06 sucks, but the levels themselves aren't inherently bad. The good ones deserve to be redeemed.

To be more contemporary however, some of the wackier tropes from the Advance games deserve acknowledgement, such as Music Plant and Toy Kingdom. Fits really well into the surrealist visuals of Sonic Colours.

I don't expect the Advance games to get any recognition, but if they do, I absolutely want to see Secret Base. It's everything that was good about Metropolis, but with a more varied appearance, better music and that awesome zip-line entrance through spotlights at the beginning of Act 1. I'd love to see that in 3D.

*skips the whole of the thread*

Personally, I'd like to see similarly themed stages be tied together into one Zone. Something like this:

Act 1: Egg Fleet: Destroying flett ships leads onto to main ship of fleet...

Act 2: Egg Carrier: Main ship, has a rocket that leads to...

Act 3: Death Egg Zone (Sonic 3): Running through Eggman's final defenses, eventually leading to...

Boss Act: Sonic 2 Final Boss: Starts off with regular Metal Sonic, before leading onto the boss from the end of Sonic 2.

Also, imagine having small cutscenes that lead link levels together, ala Sonic3&K. That'd be a great homage while also updating it fit with the newer levels. Of course, if you're just asking for random stages then...

Green Forest

Speed Highway

Radical Highway

Windy Valley

Emerald Coast

Final Rush

Of course, those are mostly from the Adventure games. Considering I've skipped the thread, all the Genesis classics have probably been mentioned, and knowing my luck so have the ones I've put down. Oh well!

UPDATE! It seems that the game will not have a cut-off date of Adventure 2 like previously believed. In the new previews, it says there are three eras, which are the classic 2D games, the Dreamcast 3D days, and the modern era. Stages will have an Unleashed/Colors verson and a 2D classic-style version.

Now that it's been confirmed that we'll be seeing all levels in both 2D and 3D, here's an interesting question:

What MODERN Sonic levels do you want to see classic Sonic play through in 2D sidescrolling?

Crysis City needs some love. Since Unleashed came out I've always thought about how amazing this stage could really be with the hedgehog engine. I mean come on! Leaping from one devastated building to another, windows shattering from sonic booms, platforming between wind-caught debris and, to top it all of, being chased by a giant motherf***ing tornado... ON FIRE! I can't be the only one who's dreamed of SEGA doing justice to the state of running away from a giant flaming tornado that's hurling cars at you and using a half-decent engine??

While I don't care what zone themes make it, I do not want them to pay too great an homage to the classics. That kinda screwed Sonic 4 up a bit for me and some original level design would be appreciated.

Huh, well with that press release it sounds like there's three eras, and according to the previews they're classic, Adventure and modern. Here's hoping we go running back to some Unleashed stages. Savannah Citadel or Windmill Isle anyone? Heck, any on the Unleashed stages really.

I could see the fun of playing Unleashed levels in classic 2D sidescrolling, but in 3D they'd be exactly the same as in Unleashed.

I could see the fun of playing Unleashed levels in classic 2D sidescrolling, but in 3D they'd be exactly the same as in Unleashed.

True I suppose, I'm just not sure if Colours is too new to be included so Unleashed would be the next one. Maybe we'll be seeing Rush stages then?

True I suppose, I'm just not sure if Colours is too new to be included so Unleashed would be the next one. Maybe we'll be seeing Rush stages then?

Colours might be fair game because it was only released on the Wii, I guess. I do suspect that we'll be getting a stage from Unleashed, but I'm not sure exactly what can be done to differentiate it from the original. Maybe it could be set at night, since Sonic can visit those places at night in his normal form now that he's not cursed. It'd be a cool way of referencing Unleashed's gimmick without, y'know, actually including the gimmick.

I'd love to see a stage or two from the handheld games, but I'd rather get something from the Advance games than the Rushes. Rush's stages were pretty boring to look at, honestly, and while Rush Adventure's were much nicer and I love the game to death, the story freak in me hates the idea of a game spanning time and dimensions. I guess maybe if we're going back and forth through Sonic's personal history it kind of makes sense, but... eh, I dunno.

Now that I think about it, since they are snatching stages from all of sonics past, what about the story book ones? I mean after heroes that really all we got. Then unleashed and colors. I've never found any of the story book ones good. They were all boring and a waste. Mainly Secret rings. I could only assume that they would try to fit some good ones from the handheld titles since all 6 (i think?) were good.