Awoo.

Would you like Sega to bring back Silver?

Silver_hedgie

Flyboy, please lock this since some people didn't read your warning...

I noticed that some people were typing while I was posting, so I assume they didn't see my post until after. But I'm keeping my eye on things now and further continuation of this silliness will result in a lock and/or warnings :\ Come on now, guys, you're better than all this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, seriously? All of you, CUT IT OUT. I know I'm a moderator and therefore it's my job to sort shit out, but I resent being showered with a half-dozen reports in the space of a few minutes because people in here can't just settle down and cool themselves off before shooting off at each other.

Silver_hedgie, PLEASE stop report spamming. You are pretty much instigating most of this so quit accusing other people of attacking you. Grow up, read the rules, and think carefully before posting again.

Everyone else, for pete's sake PLEASE stop fanning the flames and making it worse. Personal attacks and angry rebuttals do nothing except derail a topic. If this keeps up, warns will be handed out. End of story.

Excuse me Mr. Mod, but i didn't do anything wrong. Just because i like character that people here don't like doesn't mean that i'm a total troll or some kind of a threat here. Maybe if you read carefully my comments here, you can see that i asked for no bashing. I a'm a very polite reasonable person, a rebelious person, but a very polite one.

Edited by Silver_hedgie

First, I'm female. Second, if you honestly can't see what you've done wrong here I advise you re-read the rules and think VERY carefully before attempting to rejoin the discussion. Thirdly, this is off-topic, so if you have further disagreement with my actions or words, please PM me rather than discuss it here.

Back on topic now, guys. Last warning. ♥

It's easy! if non of you like what i have to say about this character or any other Sonic related topic, i suggest you all mind your own bussiness. For heaven's sake, i don't go trolling around your topics and start saying how dumb they are. I respect all of ya, but you should also respect me for doing so.

It's called commun sence, people!

Edited by Silver_hedgie
  • Bad Quality Post 7

Since I don't think I mentioned it before, I'll say my piece while I can; I don't think Silver is worth much. He's bland and poorly characterized, I hate his design, and living in the future makes it very difficult to work him into the story. The only thing he's got going for him is an interesting power, and honestly I think it's wasted on him; had it gone to someone else, it could've got some actual use beyond one game (I still think a game based around a telekinetic character, paired with the current motion control fad, could make for a really neat game...but Silver could never support it). The only way I could see getting around him living in the future is either to make him a time cop (so jumping back to the past is kind of his job) or having him abandon the future in favor of living in the past...though, I'm not really sure it's worth the effort of doing either.

• Thumbs Up 1

We seriously need someone skilled with a pen to open up more opportunities for Silver. I honestly believe that there is another way to make him more used, but it becomes increasingly difficult to come up with let alone justify despite the series' nature.

The most I can come up with would be have someone screw up the time-space continuum and fuse Silver's future with Sonic's present. That would take a lot of work and can be easy to screw up like they did with Sonic 06, but I'm not always a fan of taking the easy way for the sake of avoiding effort.

I have to say, Silver is kind of a 'meh' character to me... I suppose less because of his character and more because I just haven't cared for any of the games he's been in. I also wish he hadn't been yet another super-powered hedgehog. Having said that, I do love post-apocalyptic futures oh so much. If his story wasn't so convoluted and fragmented, tied into a very poorly constructed attempt at an epic plot, I might have warmed up to him. As it stands, I don't really care if he shows up again and would rather he didn't unless there was a damn good reason (rather than a deus ex machina constructed just to give him said reason). I won't flat out say I hate or even dislike him... I'm just completely indifferent, really.

I've never really cared about Silver as a character and his background story. :\

Sorry, I don't like him and it wouldn't bother me if Sega never use him as a main character again.

Edited by sonfan1984

I happen to like Silver, and I think there is still some room to explore for the character. A good handful of people in this series have fallen flat as characters on their own, but then shined after making the transition to a support role. Amy, Cream and Blaze (who skips on both sides) all have found great niche’s purely in the support of other characters from time to time.

In Silver’s debut, Blaze guided him through much of the journey and Espio had a similar impact on the lad in Rivals 2. While Silver is nowhere near as stable as those two, he does already have a lot of experience in the “weight of the world” department, and could make an ideal one-shot companion for someone like Knuckles (or possibly even Shadow). I think he could learn a lot from tagging around with one of them, and in turn someone else can learn a few things from him.

Silver’s position kind of makes him have to steal the show storywise, but if he were to continue to play off of other characters, then he can be allowed to develop without stepping on the toes of everyone else.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

I'm not entirely sure what I think about Silver at the moment. When I first heard they were introducing an immature heroic hedgehog before '06 was released, I was sort of expecting a very flamboyant, melodramatic wannabe-hero, and I found the concept rather endearing, so I was sorta disappointed when he wasn't as immature as I first assumed. But then I warmed up to him, he is a rather endearing character in his own right, second-guessing himself and being naive unlike other heroes in the series... But then Rivals happened, and he was just sort of a jerk (as far as I've read of the script, I admittedly haven't played the game myself), and being sped up to be faster than Knuckles... I always sorta liked his slow running speed, like a physical weakness against his vast ESP-related powers, and as a kind of "can't catch up to the other heroes" metaphor, relating to how he's a less experienced hero. But I can be weird like that, I know most people prefer him being faster. XD

For Silver's personality, I'd personally like to see more of his softer side and less of the seriousness... He hasn't really seemed innocently naive since '06, and that was one of his more endearing traits. I can imagine Silver being very cute in his own awkward way; I like to imagine him being Adorkable, as TV Tropes puts it. As it stands, I want to like him because I imagine him as a sweet but awkward goofball, but I'm still sorta just sitting on the fence because he may end up mostly being portrayed as serious and rude, and I don't think I'd like him like that.

But I do want SEGA to use him for a main role again; I don't like the idea of them neglecting their extended cast or just using them as brief cameos whilst getting no real focus or development. I think it might be fun to see him again :)

• Thumbs Up 2

*sadly looks back over the last two pages*

Well, I tried... :(

Anyway, Silver needs a motivational shift, methinks. It isn't enough to keep bringing him from the future, because his arrival is therefore laden with complicated plot mechanics before he's even opened his mouth ("Why come back? What are you here for? How's the future? What happened to Blaze? Who are you?"). Perhaps there needs to be a solid, canon reason for bringing him to the current time period and keeping him there. Perhaps maintain most of his powers, but remove the Chaos Control element, binding him from time travel?

I think because he always seems to be questing about the timeline, Silver never gets a proper chance to explore his character traits. Originally, he was from the future, to protect the future. In other random moments, he's been visiting Winter Olympics and intergalactic theme parks in various "Oh, I'm not stopping, but..." cameo roles. That makes him difficult to include in a major storyline. He is defined by his actions, not his personality. He's different from Shadow (who's been a villain and an ally, and performed a wide range of actions, meaning he's more easy to define by his surly attitude and troubled psychology) and Sonic (who forces each storyline to fit around his easygoing, sarcastic heroism). Perhaps it might be time to take a step back, give Silver less to actually do, and more time to offer opinion and moral musings on certain situations... obviously in a lighter way than his self-doubt in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), to fit the current franchise tone.

Then again, I think I'd just *squee* at any form of return, so maybe I'm not the best person to suggest ideas! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been seeing thread derailment due to a fundamental misunderstanding of what "discussion" and "trolling" are a lot lately. Too much. I'll see what I can do there shortly.

Anyway.

I've not posted until now because as it happens I've never played a game featuring the Silver character at all, and thus know nothing about him. Yet I'm already biased in favour of never seeing him again based on his debut game and constant retconning in five short years.

There's no point bringing him - or any other character - back without them having some relevance to the game plot, especially with the Too Many F-ing Hedgehogs problem looming in the shadows. I see no evidence that Silver would be relevant to upcoming titles even with the potential time travel angle in Generations - mainly because that game in particular is focusing on Sonic's past.

So no, I would not like to see him back, and I don't believe there will come another time when he can be added to a game without being forcibly shoehorned in and damaging it. With his being introduced as being from the future, the presence of his character requires extra justification in the plot to make any sense for him to be there at all.

Most people in this topic keep saying they want Silver to be one specific way, but comparing '06 Silver and Colors DS Silver, like I said before, I view him as a two-way character. I like to think of Silver as the middle grounds between Sonic and Shadow -- Sonic's (almost) always completely sarcastic, and Shadow's always completely serious. But Silver can/should be able to be either at any given time, or even both at once. (However that works..) To me, this would be my ideal Silver.

As for his future? I agree it shouldn't be in ruins all the damn time, but since there has to be SOME problem with the future for Silver to have much point to his story, even if it takes place IN his world and isn't another time travel story, rather he just stays there, it should be a good future, but one that's in immediate danger, though not until a certain ways through the story -- "All was well, until..." Something like that would give us a chance to see both the more laxed and the more serious side of Silver's personality. Not that they should make his story this way in EVERY game he's featured in, just Hypothetical Next Game That He Happens To Be In. If they did it every time it would become predictable and cliche :P

Then again we could leave his future alone. Say, instead of saving his future, he's going back to the present and just staying there like people have been suggesting. Trying to imagine it though, for Silver to go back in time simply because he wants to would require him having some serious emotional issues (Seriously, most people who want to leave their world have to kill themselves instead because they're not lucky enough to have the power of Chaos Control.) and he might come off as a bit of a drama queen. But since the Chaos Emeralds are so ridiculously powerful there's no way to just say, "He was thrown back to the past in an accident, and there's just no going back to the future this time. Period. Deal with it."

Alas, as the way DS Colors makes it seem, interdimensionary and time travel is just some casual thing, all it takes is a couple of Emeralds and for you to tell them to do it. I bet Blaze and Silver stop by for a visit for the holidays every year. Maybe sometimes Sonic visits them instead. :P

Edited by Raxz

(I still think a game based around a telekinetic character, paired with the current motion control fad, could make for a really neat game...but Silver could never support it).

I'm glad I'm not the only one online to think this!

The only way I could see getting around him living in the future is either to make him a time cop (so jumping back to the past is kind of his job)

I love this idea a whole bunch. It'd probably be the best option.

I think the main issue making a topic like this about a character like Silver is the fact that he debuted in a less than stellar game in the series. A game that people (for whatever reason I have no idea) still seem to be incredibly bitter about more than four years later. Less about the character, methinks. Silver would be a lot more widely accepted and appreciated if his first appearance wasn't in such an infamous title within the series.

Personally, I like Silver a lot. I like his design and I think his abilities are unique and interesting. For that same reason I want him to stick around and keep doin' his thing. Him appearing as sort of a time cop is perfectly suitable. I can get behind that idea. I still have natural prejudice towards Knuckles appearing more often than him, but naturally I'm not outright against either of them appearing.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the main issue making a topic like this about a character like Silver is the fact that he debuted in a less than stellar game in the series. A game that people (for whatever reason I have no idea) still seem to be incredibly bitter about more than four years later. Less about the character, methinks. Silver would be a lot more widely accepted and appreciated if his first appearance wasn't in such an infamous title within the series.

Edited by Ekaje

First, I'm female. Second, if you honestly can't see what you've done wrong here I advise you re-read the rules and think VERY carefully before attempting to rejoin the discussion. Thirdly, this is off-topic, so if you have further disagreement with my actions or words, please PM me rather than discuss it here.

Back on topic now, guys. Last warning. ♥

Edited by turbojet

Wait...what?

You serious Turbo? You just NOW realized this after how long? And it was broadcasted all over the Member Association topic by whomever had something to say about her.

You know, one thing about Silver is how his gameplay would fit into the current formula that is Unleashed. As of now, he's really more suited towards the Adventure way of navigation, and that puts another road block in terms of where he could be used. Frankly, I think we can overcome this with his telekinetics in that he could cheat his way into superspeeds similar to how Tails uses his two tails in order to propel himself to keep up with Sonic.

Now it's just a matter of finding out how his offensive abilities can deviate from Sonic's and having the level accommodate his abilites. I think that may be the fun part.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I'm sure that's a factor for a lot of people, but I'd hardly call it the main issue. Myself, for example, I've never suffered '06 directly; I'm Wii-only, I know the game through other people playing it, so I shouldn't have as strong an association between the two. But I still don't really like him; not in '06, not in any other game he's been in, and I've tried my best to look at him objectively, the same as with every other character.

Also saying he'd be received better if he debuted in a better game seems kind of redundant from my side of the fence, since making a better game with him in it would involve fixing his flaws.

I think that Silver definitely has potential, but I think SEGA introduced him in a way that could have been done better. Like someone previously said, he is sorta like Trunks from DBZ. Still, Silver deserves a chance to prove his worth.

I'm a little more concerned about how he'd fit in with a decent control scheme. As much as I enjoyed flinging stuff at other stuff with my MIND, it was kind of a Big Lipped Alligator Moment as far as gameplay schemes were concerned, and might as well have been in its own game (incidentally, I'd strongly suggest a Wiimote or Move controller over that Kinect crap if only because we'd at least have a control stick to move around with). It kinda begs the question of how exactly you'd differentiate gameplay between Silver and other characters in the roster without a) breaking the standard Sonic gameplay scheme, and b ) not over-relying on crappy context sensitive gimmicks to change routes between them (kinda what they did in '06 anyway come to think of it).

How exactly do you blend telekinesis with Sonic gameplay? Well for one thing we shouldn't have to slow down for it - being able to grab, move and throw shit without stopping should be entirely possible, and actively encouraged, and I figure it'd look pretty damn cool for Silver to be doing the Super Sonic-esque hover-run animation with a big bunch of crates floating around behind him. Just so it doesn't get overly overpowered though, keep the "can't directly grab enemies unless they're paralyzed" mechanic, and enforce a limit to how much he can carry at one time (or maybe just slow him down when he's carrying too much, to subtly discourage it). From thereon it's mostly a matter of tweaking controls so that it's simple enough to pick up and play, but precise enough that you won't have any problems targetting the right enemies on the fly or moving specific objects to specific places with more or less complete freedom. Probably something like Psi Ops in that it detects which direction you were pushing in when you release your TK button and the game throws your held object at the closest enemy in that general direction.

Edited by Blacklightning
  • Thumbs Up 1

AWESOME! 150 replies already in 3 days. Most of them were positive.

We should celebrate Silver's return!

Silver: A Satisfactory Result! :D

Edited by Silver_hedgie
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1