Awoo.

Would you like Sega to bring back Silver?

Silver_hedgie

Bringing Silver into the plot isn't an automatic "Confusing plot with everyone forgetting in the end."

I'm not saying that. But If he comes from the future, or from a destroyed world, like last time, then there is a better chance of that happening again than if he was brought into a game outside of the plot. If Sega can bring Silver into a game without all the alternate realities and time travel (well a little time travel is always welcome) and didn't send him away with no one even remembering he was there in the first place, I would welcome that.

Edited by Purplehedgehog1

I don't think Silver should come back except if it is in the form of a multiplayer only character, or some sort of bonus level. Don't get me wrong, I love Silver, and would love to see him in more games. But I don't want a confusing plot that ends with none of the characters remembering anything that happened.

I feel the same way about Knuckles, and I love Knuckles. He's a great character, but I wouldn't want him to appear in every main series game, much less as a playable character. He has to guard the Master Emerald which is very important for the safety of Angel Island. Plus, I don't want Sega to wear out his inclusion.

As for Silver, I would be up for his reappearance under one major condition: redesign him. I like his concept, I like his characterization, just not his design. His attire is too convoluted in contrast to the other characters, and his spines are just plain weird. I suggest more downward spines similar to Amy's spines, only curled up at the tips. I would also suggest giving Silver shoes instead of boots, and black gloves that are neon blue at the palms. That's it.

As for Silver, I would be up for his reappearance under one major condition: redesign him. I like his concept, I like his characterization, just not his design. His attire is too convoluted in contrast to the other characters, and his spines are just plain weird. I suggest more downward spines similar to Amy's spines, only curled up at the tips. I would also suggest giving Silver shoes instead of boots, and black gloves that are neon blue at the palms. That's it.

His design is not weird, it was weird at first. Even to me he seemed a little off at first, but many thought his hair looked like a cannabis sativa leaf back in 06, but infact it looks more as a star-shaped leaf from a sweetgum tree in his current redesign from Rivals. Personally, i think it makes him look more "natural" and "rare" since he is after all a silver hedgehog. All tho, i do think his back quills were a little long, his redisign from Rivals made them look more shorter and all the way down instead of just sticking out like the other hedgehogs, which is good cause it makes him more unique.:D

btw in case all of you are wondering, i'm actually that good in observation. :lol:

Edited by Silver_hedgie

His spines are still all over the place though. Part of the appeal of Sonic characters are their simplistic designs. Basically, the more simplistic, the better. Sonic himself was designed around being simplistic enough for children to draw. I think Silver could benefit from a similar approach. He would have the same coolness factor, only now simple enough to fully appreciate.

His spines are still all over the place though. Part of the appeal of Sonic characters are their simplistic designs. Basically, the more simplistic, the better. Sonic himself was designed around being simplistic enough for children to draw. I think Silver could benefit from a similar approach. He would have the same coolness factor, only now simple enough to fully appreciate.

Are you kidding me! it's even harder for me to draw sonic unless i get a good glance at him. Silver is a little tricky, but even without an image of him it's not that hard to draw him really.

Edited by Silver_hedgie

What's this simpleness BS? Looks-wise, I like Shadow over Sonic not just because he's black and red but because he doesn't look like he's just one flat color with skin on the mouth and belly. He actually has details.

This applies even more so to characters like Tails who has tons of details. The female characters get even more detailed because they actually have clothes.

Silver's biggest detail is his unusual quill shape, and he has several other small details, such as the cyan light from his Tron gear Fullmetal Alchemist gloves gloves and shoes, and the black spot around the tops of his eyes. I like that he has details, and I don't think he would look even half as cool would be be simplified.

And anyways I don't think it matters much how easily he can be drawn by kids, Sonic's fanbase becomes older and older as time goes on you know. People who were kids in 1991 are now in their late teens and early twenties, most of the early teens and kids are new fans.

Edit: ChaosSupremeSonic responded to Preston's post far better than I did :P

Edited by Raxz

Part of the appeal of Sonic characters are their simplistic designs. Basically, the more simplistic, the better.

Not exactly. It's always been more about whether the character was cool or not overall, and that was mostly attributed to a character's powers, accomplishments, and how great the design looked regardless of how detailed it looked. Pretty much, the more interesting, the better, not the more simplistic.

Simplicity hardly came into our heads when we were little kids enjoying the series, and it's not going to change with the kids of today. Only when we grew up did we start concerning ourselves with that, and along with it the more technical aspects of the series.

But regarding a character's appeal, you'd hear a lot more about the cool things the character can do before you start hearing much about simplicity. Hell, Eggman is hardly simplistic anymore, and yet people love him still. And then there's characters like Blaze who have become one of the series popular characters, and her design is not what you would call simple.

And regarding Silver, his spines give him a much more original look compared to what we usually see as hedgehog traits in this series. Otherwise, he'd more or less look like a recolor or retool of Sonic.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Also, to be fair, Silver's character model follows the same rules most of the rest of the cast are working with. The circular head base (shared by 90% of the cast) is readily apparent and his body type isn't too far off from Shadow or Sonic's. His head quills are no more obtrusive than Sonic's spines or Knuckles dreads in that regard, they just happen to be on his forehead.

Read my post a little more carefully. I said part of the appeal of Sonic characters are their simplistic designs. Of course simplicity would not be an attribute that we would point out right away. Of course powers or "coolness" would be one of first things to come to mind, but on a subconscious level, their minimalist designs lure us in. They're not realistic human characters wearing jackets with tons of zippers, they're cute animal characters with powers. They also don't look like Star Fox characters which are much more detailed looking than Sonic characters are. Sonic characters have a more simplistic design based on old Western cartoons. At least in the 90's they did, before they became all animu desu ne.

Plus, if Sega intends to use the classic designs again, shouldn't they try to simplify the modern characters to compliment said classic designs?

Edited by Preston

Read my post a little more carefully. I said part of the appeal of Sonic characters are their simplistic designs. Of course simplicity would not be an attribute that we would point out right away.

We know what you said. But we're saying that simplicity is negligible regarding characters and can be flat out ignored if the design is interesting to the audience.
Edited by Preston

a 185 posts already! most of them had wonderful positive reactions for Silver.

AWESOME!:D

Silver__Hedgehog_wallpaper_me_by_SilverAlchemist09.png

Edited by Silver_hedgie
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Because having a indifferent/neutral opinion on a character is a bad thing...

Edited by DragonSoul
  • Thumbs Up 1

How about you post something important instead of just gushing people like your topic?

Anyway Silver's design mostl follows the mold for the Sonic characters, because he clearly has the body structure of Modern Sonic, and Shadow. I don't think it would be impossible to make a classic design for Silver.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Silver: But i already have a classic design.:huh:

silver_sprite_by_liv2ride.gif

Herp a Derp, an official one derp, and an artwork derp.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd say if it has an eye colour, it ain't classic. (minus Robotnik and Metal)

Chances are if we have this new Mario and Sonic game he's in it so more Silvery goodness. Though it doesn't change this forums topic unless they decide to do a story (not likely)

Herp a Derp, an official one derp, and an artwork derp.

Hey! who r you calling a derp you derp!:angry: i hope the mod bans you for being such a derp-bag!

Edited by Silver_hedgie
  • Bad Quality Post 12

Hey! who r you calling a derp you derp!:angry: i hope the mod bans you for being such a derp-bag!

Do we have to go over this again? :rolleyes:

• Thumbs Up 6

The topic must be around here somewhere; oh there it is!

Yeah I still don't care about Silver enough to see him return.

The topic must be around here somewhere; oh there it is!

Yeah I still don't care about Silver enough to see him return.

You've already said that like 10 times in the previous posts. And yet, no one here actually cares.:lol:

Now go mind ur own damn bussiness, troll!:P

Edited by Silver_hedgie
  • Bad Quality Post 10

You've already daid that like 10 times in the previous posts. And yet, no one here actually cares.:lol:

Now go mind ur own damn bussines, troll!:P

And you're any better by countlessly overly-admiring other people's posts and topic views? :rolleyes:

Oh, and this is the internet, anything you post will sure to get attention and become anybody's buisness. ;)

• Thumbs Up 6

A Sonic character can only be so detailed before it looks out of place though. Going back to my Star Fox comparison, would a Star Fox character look in place in the Sonic universe? Just barely since the visual style of the Star Fox universe demands more detailed looking characters. Fox McCloud resembles a live fox more than Tails does even though they're both the same species. That's because the visual style of the Sonic universe demands more simplistic looking characters, hence why Tails has a more basic design than his Lylat counterpart.

Silver, as well as most of the modern cast, border on Star Fox territory because their designs are much more detailed in comparison to earlier characters such as Tails, Knuckles or Fang. The classic cast resembled Felix the Cat characters whereas the modern cast look almost like Star Fox characters. This is not necessarily a bad thing since the Sonic universe went through a huge visual shift to accommodate the modern cast anyway. I just think it would be interesting if Silver and the other modern characters were given classic designs to look more in place with the classic cast. Basically what happened to Amy in Sonic Adventure, but in reverse.

Overdone designs is one of the (many) problems I personally have with most Sonic fancharacters.

They can't help but give them quill-hair and "real" hair, or overly-detailed outfits, or a bunch of other bizarre add-ons. They don't have to be Felix the Cat/Mickey Mouse-simple, nor do they need to have the exact same "body style" as most Sonic characters (read: Robotnik, Vector, Big), but when they start to literally look more like Final Fantasy characters in Sonic-anthro form, it just kills it for me. Shame too, since the legitimately good fancharacters (...IMO) always end up being overshadowed by hedgehogs/echidnas/fusions with tragic backstories/Shadow-relations/demonic powers/big boobs.

Going back to Silver, the only problem I have with his design is that he's a hedgehog. If he was a different species but still looked like how is is today, I'd be fine with it. Even the marijuana hair doesn't bug me.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Going back to Silver, the only problem I have with his design is that he's a hedgehog. If he was a different species but still looked like how is is today, I'd be fine with it. Even the marijuana hair doesn't bug me.

Fact: The cannabis sativa(also known as marijuana) leaf shaped hair changed after 06. It was redisigned and now shaped as a star-shaped leaf from a sweetgum tree since "Sonic Rivals".

Edited by Silver_hedgie
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Fact: The cannabis sativa(also known as marijuana) leaf shaped hair changed after 06. It was redisigned and now shaped as a star-shaped leaf from a sweetgum tree since Rivals.

Doesn't really matter since the 'potleaf' thing is still associated with Silver.

• Thumbs Up 1