Awoo.

M&S at the London 2012 Olympic games General and big horse (Oss) appreciation thread

Badnik Mechanic

Oh, and these guys are bound to show up at some point:

LONDON-OLYMPIC-2012-MASCOTS.jpg

*salutes his country's olympic mascots while the national anthem plays in the background*

*cries*

First the suspicious 2012 Lisa Simpson in the logo, and now you have Kang and Kodos aluminum wrapped sans tentacles for your mascots?

Someone loves their Simpsons waaaaay too much.

So Sonic and Mario are heading to the UK?

I fully expect half of all you guys to make an appearance in the crowd.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who likes Wenlock and Mandeville now. When they first came out, everyone was hating on them and that made me sad because I thought they were cute!

Also, this means one other thing; That Wentos bullshit from way back can now FINALLY, without any doubt even from the followers, be put to rest.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who likes Wenlock and Mandeville now. When they first came out, everyone was hating on them and that made me sad because I thought they were cute!

Also, this means one other thing; That Wentos bullshit from way back can now FINALLY, without any doubt even from the followers, be put to rest.

Wait, this is set on the UK? :3

I loved the previous games, but I would like to see how this goes to.

Oh, and if the song Anarchy in the UK shows up someway or another I'll take twenty of these.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hm. I'm not exactly thrilled by this announcement, but I'm gonna stay cautiously optimistic about it. The Olympic games are profile-raisers and big sellers, so even though neither of the ones released so far tempted me into buying them, they've probably been healthy for the series. More playable Vector ain't a bad thing either.

There's a lot of potential for this series, even in the confines of the Olympic setting, and I hope more of it is realized this time around. The second game was on the right track with the number of dream stages and the DS version's story mode, but I'd love for that aspect to be taken even further. If we get roughly the same version on both the Wii and the 3DS, hopefully it'll get a similar story mode with all of the presentational benefits of, er, not being on the DS. Full voice acting? Proper cutscenes? The sky's the limit, and there needs to be something to keep things fresh when the events will be just about the same. As for the actual gameplay... ehh, I can deal with it. It'd be nice if the M&S games were deeper, single-playstyle games, but the gameplay really isn't what the attraction is. I'm not exactly in the habit of buying minigame collections on a regular basis, so if I do pick this up it should at least be fairly fresh.

• Thumbs Up 3

I never played Olympic Winter game after the so-so first game, but now everyone's saying it's actually a lot better...I wanna play it. ^^;

Anywho, not suprised there's another Olympics game, but I hope there's a lot more events and a STORY. If the DS version of Olympic Winter games had one, why not this?

Obligatory excuse to post photos of Sonic in London:

SonicLondon01.jpg

sonic-london-2.jpg

At least one of those scenes, or something similar to it, needs to be recreated in this game. London 2012 is quite prominently a part of the game's title this time around as opposed to just "Olympic Games" or "Olympic Winter Games"... and I know that's probably just to differentiate it from the first game, but I hope they actually make use of the London theme a bit. I want our glorious* country to be celebrated!

*disclaimer: may not actually be glorious

Oh, and the loading screens need to be Mario and Sonic waiting as they go up an escalator on the London underground:

sonic460b_1012624c.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Well Doctor Who is going to light the Oylmpic Flame this time if the BBC have anything to say about it.

10thdr-fearher-torch-hp3.jpg

SonicLondon01.jpg

THIS GIANT SONIC WILL DESTROY US ALL!

Meanwhile... back on the 'what I'd like to see world' I'd quite also like to see the entire cast of the game exiting a tube train at some point. Also I want this man to feature heavilly in the game.

41816_2404363303_9011_n.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Meanwhile... back on the 'what I'd like to see world' I'd quite also like to see the entire cast of the game exiting a tube train at some point. Also I want this man to feature heavilly in the game.

41816_2404363303_9011_n.jpg

Segata Sanshiro at the London 2012 Olympic games (Guest star Sonic and Mario). I like that.

Eh, can't say I'm not exicited, but I hope they put something that will make me give a damn this time.

I mean I love how they put a story mode in the DS version, so maybe can we get something like it for the Wii version too.

I hope they go overboard with the viral video angle this time (like they did with the first game). Those commercials were really fun and I fully expect a comeback from them.

*Epic post of justice*

Oh, Barry, I <3 your antics :lol:

+1 rep to you.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've never played either of the previous Marks & Spencer at the Olympic Games. Did either of them heavily feature Beijing and Vancouver itself? I'd like to think the hosting city would make a heavy appearance in the games.

Speaking as a railway enthusiast, if I seen Mario, Sonic and all their friends stepping off a Southeastern Class 395 Javelin at Stratford International rail station, I may very well orgasm, and that's good enough reason for me to buy it. It would make sense to feature it because those trains were introduced to provide a shuttle service to the main Olympic venue at Stratford, and some of the trainsets were named after British Olympic heroes anyway. 'MON SEGA, take note. I want this!

/trainnerd

Edited by Major Ziggy

I've played either of the previous Marks & Spencer at the Olympic Games. Did either of them heavily feature Beijing and Vancouver itself? I'd like to think the hosting city would make a heavy appearance in the games.

Neither of the games have outright featured the host cities, but if I remember rightly both did have unlockable trivia which told you a bit about the Olympic history and some stuff relating to the host city (I know Winter Olympics had info on the Vancouver 2010 mascots, for instance). Oh, and Winter Olympics had a Canadian-esque little snowy village where you could buy new costumes and stuff, but that was about as far as it went.

Really hoping for some serious London love though. I'd buy it for that reason alone.

EDIT: Derp, forgot the most obvious thing - the locations for all of the events, excluding the Dream Events, take place in the actual Olympic stadiums etc in both games.

Edited by Doctor MK

I would like a proper storymode with cutscenes and stuff. Nothing dark or complicated, but it'd be nice to really see these characters interact. I'm sure we're not getting that but a guy can dream. Is this game going to have complete different events from the first one, or will there be some repeats? :huh:

I would like a proper storymode with cutscenes and stuff. Nothing dark or complicated, but it'd be nice to really see these characters interact. I'm sure we're not getting that but a guy can dream. Is this game going to have complete different events from the first one, or will there be some repeats? :huh:

I imagine some will be repeats, there's no way they can leave out things like Athletics. They just need to do them in a better way than "SHAKE THE WII REMOTE AND NUNCHUK REALLY FAST TO RUN!"

I imagine some will be repeats, there's no way they can leave out things like Athletics. They just need to do them in a better way than "SHAKE THE WII REMOTE AND NUNCHUK REALLY FAST TO RUN!"

The 100m dash is actually one of the few things that I feel is justified in its usage of "shake really fast" controls.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

The 100m dash is actually one of the few things that I feel is justified in its usage of "shake really fast" controls.

Yeah, true, I'll give you that. I meant it more in a general sense that, if the events are going to be repeated, they need to be improved and tightened up a bit. The specific example I chose was not the best as it did actually work somewhat.