Awoo.

M&S at the London 2012 Olympic games General and big horse (Oss) appreciation thread

Badnik Mechanic

It's strange to think of a Mario & Sonic game being set in the real world, never mind London, England! I haven't played the last one, (yet) but i'll make sure to keep an eye out for this one! Could we expect this to be the last in this olympic series however? I'd like to see more variety if they plan on making even more of these Mario/Sonic crossovers.

Mario & Sonic set for London Olympics return

By James Orry - 15/04/2011 - 1:24pm GMT

Third game in the unlikely partnership coming in 2012?

Leaked art suggests SEGA is readying a third game in the hugely successful Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games video game series: Mario & Sonic at the 2012 London Olympics.

The placeholder box art was spotted over at along with a similar holding image for Sonic Generations, assumed to be the title of last week's newly revealed Sonic game.

VideoGamer.com Analysis

Given the success of previous titles in the Mario & Sonic series - based on the Beijing games and the Vancouver Winter games - it would hardly be surprising to see a title released to cash in on the 2012 summer games in London.

Although the placeholder art is for a Wii game, the introduction of Kinect and PS Move makes versions for PS3 and Xbox 360 a possibility too.

• Thumbs Up 3

Haha, that genuinely made me laugh. That's a serious blunder right there.

There will no doubt be some other Olympic game for the other platforms though, but Mario and Sonic on Xbox and PS3? Big the Cat will get his own game before that happens.

Mario on the PS3 and 360! HOORAY!

Also, something I've noticed, jostiq gave the link to a different post in that topic on the forum, but everyone else seems to be linking to my post (despite the fact theres only 1 working picture.

So I'm going to have some fun.

I've changed both of the pictures in my original post to this cover art.

So now, we're going to see just how epic video game journalists can be when they start linking to complete bollocks when all what they're doing is just copying each other and slapping their totally borked opinion on at the end.

• Thumbs Up 3

Did he even proofread his article before he posted it? FAIL

*+1 rep to HogFather for sheer cheekiness*

I highly doubt it will be ported to another console. I mean, has Mario ever been on another console that is NOT Nintendo? Wonder if all this Big the Cat love will make people show him as a Judge more often (I hardly saw him in the last titles).

Well can't say this is my favorite entry in the series, but before y'all go hating on M&S keep in mind these are the games that inspired Iizuka's rediscovery of the fun side of Sonic, aka Sonic Colors. That and it brings in tons of cash. Hey London right? NiGHTS sure as hell better be there paralooping over the Thames.

I mean, has Mario ever been on another console that is NOT Nintendo?

From Mario Bros onwards, no.

...Huh? I've never heard of the Phillips CDi, are you sure you aren't imagining that? Surely they wouldn't be able to make three Zelda games, if it did.

Also lol at the Mario on PS3/360 thing. That is a certifiable fail.

From Mario Bros onwards, no.

...Huh? I've never heard of the Phillips CDi, are you sure you aren't imagining that? Surely they wouldn't be able to make three Zelda games, if it did.

Mario Teaches Typing.

Metro continue the fail:

Mario & Sonic London 2012 Olympics game picture leaks

Sega could well be gearing up to release a third Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games offering, this time based at London 2012, if leaked artwork is anything to go by.

Placeholder box art was reportedly spotted at the Sonic Stadium forum, showing logos for a new Olympics game, as well as something called Sonic Generations - rumoured to be the game Sega posted a teaser trailer for last week.

Previously titles in the Mario & Sonic series, based on the Beijing Olympics and the Vancouver Winter Games, proved highly successful, so it wouldn't be surprising if a third were to be released to coincide with the London 2012 Olympics.

The placeholder art which has been seen appears to be for a Wii game, however, with the Kinect and PS Move now on the market, gamers might also see versions for the PS3 and Xbox 360 appearing as well.

A Sega spokesperson told Eurogamer the company had 'no comment' on the rumoured release.

Earlier this week, the game manufacturer outraged fans when it forced a Streets Of Rage Remake project to shut down.

A statement from Sega said the company was 'committed to supporting any fans' who take an interest in its games, but it added it is also in favour of protecting its intellectual property rights.

'This may result in us requesting that our fans remove online imagery, videos or games in some instances,' the company explained.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/861028-mario-sonic-london-2012-olympics-game-picture-leaks

The placeholder art which has been seen appears to be for a Wii game, however, with the Kinect and PS Move now on the market, gamers might also see versions for the PS3 and Xbox 360 appearing as well.

Guess Metro saw the Videogamer.com article and thought they'd near enough copy it, but to make the same mistake they did? Really?

facepalm-dog.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

So what I notice here is a name change. Now that Olympic Games and Olympic Winter Games have been used as titles, they've gotta specify year and location with LONDON 2012 and probably the same with the Winter Games sequel in 2014. The LONDON 2012 looks like the same font as the rest of the title. But it looks official enough.

ok, I just don't hope for another olympic game, I would certainly prefer a fighting game.

But, if this rumor is true, I WANT

at least 10 more playable chars

Rouge Birdo

Big Diddy K

Espio Toad

Cream Rosalina

Classic Sonic Baby Mario

- a Story mode with interactions and proper CG videos

- gameplay improvements and less frame rate issues

- A LOT OF EXTRAS

- Online play

I would like to see as sports

Athletics (from the previous)

Table Tennis " "

Cycling (mountain bike and street bike)

Gymnastic (& Acrobatic Gymnastic)

Aquatics (from previous)

Volley Ball (& Beach Volley)

Soccer

Horse Riding

Tennis

Dream events

Dream BMX

Dream Pentathlon/Triathlon

Dream Soccer

Dream Beach Volley

Dream Taekwondo

Dream Boxe

Dream Tennis

* a special event...something like a platform/race or something unique for fans

SEGA CAN DO THIS...but I still prefer a fighting game

So, the evidence seems to be building up. As I mentioned in the 2011 games topic, apparently a voice actor had the game listed on his resume April 14th according to SEGA-Mag.com, before seemingly removing it.

http://www.sega-mag.com/Mario+et+Sonic+a+Londres+2012+deja+confirme-news-2792.htm

Now, MCV magazine has spoke out about the game and they have an high quality version of the logo seen on the leaked temporary box art. They say the game is due out Christmas this year.

http://www.sonicwrecks.com/news/mcv-mario-sonic-london/

So it's going to be released around or near Generations's release?

Sounds like Sega's buisness sale stragedy as usual.

I don't know which MCV article made me more excited, the Mario and Sonic one, or the one about the new wave of merchandise perfect for University work! *drools*

*Ahem* The release date was totally expected, though.

Edited by VEAM-F

After all of the rumours, it appears Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games is officially confirmed, thanks to a press release posted at Czech website Zing.cz. The press release confirms the game will be released for Wii and 3DS, with a release date unconfirmed at present, but will be revealed later this year.

Sports announced are athletics, water sports and table tennis, with new soccer and riding events appearing to be exclusive to the Wii version. The 3DS version will feature more than 50 original Olympic sports, which will be playable in single and multiplayer modes. The press release says the 3D feature of the 3DS will make for “plenty of new and interesting ways to compete for the coveted gold medal!”

Check out the press release in full below (translation by Google Translate):

Sega announces the continuation of the popular series, Mario & Sonic, this time at the summer Olympic Games in London 2012

SEGA and Nintendo have announced that after many years of partnership Mario and Sonic, once again join forces. The legendary series that have sold over 19 million, now will head to London for the Olympic Games 2012, the official name of Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games on the Wii and also the very first time on a revolutionary portable Nintendo 3DS.

Many new and exciting sports like soccer and riding, which will debut on the Wii version, will appear alongside the traditional Olympic disciplines such as athletics, water sports, or table tennis. The new sports will certainly further encourage sports enthusiasm among the players in both single and multiplayer modes!

For the first time Mario & Sonic introduces the portable Nintendo 3DS. Version will contain more than 50 original Olympic sports, playable in both single player and the multiplayer modes. Moreover, revolutionary watch 3D images without glasses bring the world of Mario and Sonic entirely new and unique control system, ensuring plenty of new and interesting ways to compete for the coveted gold medal!

Like its predecessor, Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games for Wii and Nintendo 3DS developed by Sega Japan. “Mario & Sonic series has always been extremely popular and we are very proud of this partnership that we can resume with Nintendo for the Olympics in London in 2012.” Commented Naoya Tsurumi, President of SEGA of America and Sega Europe. “It’s really exciting to be able to create interactive entertainment titles based on the Olympics and also with figures of Mario and Sonic”

“The Olympic Games in London 2012 will showcase sports and we are delighted that Mario and Sonic may be yet again, this time with the largest number of Olympic sports ever” said Raymond Goldsmith, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of ISM (International Sports Multimedia).

“These games join two most popular figures in the history of the videogame industry,” said the president of Nintendo America, Reggie Fils-Aime. “As a veteran of video games and the Olympic Games Mario & Sonic arrives in London as an unparalleled team of impressive, offering plenty of entertainment and sports activities for all who want to have fun.”

Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games will be available on the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo 3DS. Release date and other information, we will learn later this year.

Source: Zing.cz

My TSS article:

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2011/04/press-release-confirms-mario-sonic-at-the-london-2012-olympic-games-for-wii-3ds/

If this is either an Anniversary game (Which it shouldn't, seeing as M&S is it's own series) and if this is Sonic 3DS, I......I don't know what the fuck SEGA would be thinking.

So its official now! Im mad and kinda happy. It could very well be a much much better game, with tons of games, but at the same time...if this IS the "anniversary game for wii" and "Sonic 3DS" ARGHHH!!!!

Happy to hear soccer is there, hope it plays well.

Really hope they add a shitload of extras too!

I bet by the "Riding" sport they mean Horse Riding, since it's a popular sport/hobby here in the UK. I can't wait to see our first glimpse of the Mario & Sonic characters riding horses :lol:

I bet by the "Riding" sport they mean Horse Riding, since it's a popular sport/hobby here in the UK. I can't wait to see our first glimpse of the Mario & Sonic characters riding horses :lol:

>Bowser or Eggman on a horse

FUCK GENERATIONS! GOTY 2011 CONFIRMED :lol:

Edited by PSI Aqua
  • Thumbs Up 1

>Bowser or Eggman on a horse

FUCK GENERATIONS! GOTY 2011 CONFIRMED :lol:

+1 rep

I can just picture Eggman losing control of the horse shouting "WOAH, NELLY!! WOOOOOAH!" :lol:

How many events were featured in the first two? 50+ sounds like quite a bit. If they also add in lots more characters, I'd be happy and will probably pick it up. I never got the earlier Olympic titles, anyway (although I did play the DS version of Winter Olympics through some less-than-legal means... and it was incredibly difficult. I could NOT for the life of me beat the shooting game... whatever its called, again... Knuckles kept slaughtering me... :P)