Awoo.

M&S at the London 2012 Olympic games General and big horse (Oss) appreciation thread

Badnik Mechanic

Yeah, true, I'll give you that. I meant it more in a general sense that, if the events are going to be repeated, they need to be improved and tightened up a bit. The specific example I chose was not the best as it did actually work somewhat.

Oh, well I can agree with that.

The original tittle was a bit stale on the control schemes for many of the events (except for the swimming events - the guy who decided to give each character a different stroke is a genius). It'll be fun to see some of my old favorites return with more refined controls.

You could even say that he...had a stroke of genius when designing the swimming event.

...Ugh, one bad joke after another, tonight. <_<

Anyway, seeing the SG character topic has made me curious about the same question for M&S3.

• Thumbs Up 3

In terms of characters, I don't really expect them to add anymore than they need to even out the ranks (since currently theres an extra Sonic character in the Speed and Skill classes, and an extra Mario one in the Power and All-Round class). With that in mind, I'd expect maybe Diddy Kong for Speed, maybe Rouge or Cream for All-Round, Big/Omega/Storm/Chaos for Power and maybe someone like Rosalina or Toadsworth for Skill.

Although in all honesty I wish they would add a Mini Mario Toy and a Sonic Chao as selectable characters. The Battles between those two would be legendary :D

We must have Muse doing the opening ceremony or something. Then, I shall put this game on my epic games shelf.

Anyway, seeing the SG character topic has made me curious about the same question for M&S3.

Rosalina. I raged about her not being in Winter Olympics, and so help me I will rage even harder if she is not in this.

Rosalina__by_DaisyFan10.jpg

That is all.

• Thumbs Up 2

What's that render from? I don't remember her being in an alternate outfit aside from in Mario Kart Wii.

Anyway, I'm joining the Espio train, but I'd actually be pacified as long as he makes an appearance at all (and I doubt they'd just suddenly drop him after two Olympic games). The rest...ah, well, Charmy after this would be impossible (he's not power, and Espio is more all-around), and I don't particularly care for the Mario cast since Bowser Jr made it into Olympic Winter Games. :)

What's that render from? I don't remember her being in an alternate outfit aside from in Mario Kart Wii.

That render is fake. But it just goes to show how easily she would fit into a sports game such as this.

HINT HINT, NINTENDO/SEGA.

Dear SEGA,

If this is true, PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, have Motion+ compatibility!

THIS

Yeah. I want Classic Sonic in this game too. If he makes an appearance on Wii, I'll be happy. It's not fair to Wii only-ers.

OK! Mii Customization, make it awesome. And I mean awesomer than the first one. Story Mode: YES YES YES

I'd also find it cool if the menu was actually running around the city to get to events. Of course it would be condensed so you could get around quickly, but imagine jumping around as Sonic or Mario! It'd be a blast!

As much as I want a 3DS version, I hope this isn't Sonic 3DS. I hope they're taking their time with that one.

Neither of the games have outright featured the host cities, but if I remember rightly both did have unlockable trivia which told you a bit about the Olympic history and some stuff relating to the host city (I know Winter Olympics had info on the Vancouver 2010 mascots, for instance). Oh, and Winter Olympics had a Canadian-esque little snowy village where you could buy new costumes and stuff, but that was about as far as it went.

Really hoping for some serious London love though. I'd buy it for that reason alone.

EDIT: Derp, forgot the most obvious thing - the locations for all of the events, excluding the Dream Events, take place in the actual Olympic stadiums etc in both games.

Well, not the cities themselves, but they use the stadiums/arenas where the competitions take place, then you have the dream events that use completely unrelated places

You can tell how much I like the M&S series due to all this spamming of various thoughts. :unsure:

1. There's actually more evidence for an upcoming M&S 3 announcement; after two years, the Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games forums finally was got rid of on SoA sometime recently (certainly no more than three days ago, anyway). Given the timing of the usual M&S announcements, this is highly suspicious.

2. What if, in regards to characters, SEGA play the ultimate troll card and add NO new characters? Remembering to the last game, most fans were certain that there had to be at least 8 added for the roster to be balanced. It wasn't until the addition of Silver that some people (me included) took a step back and thought "Wait a minute...these characters are very conveniently typed, aren't they?", and it was those same ones who speculated that Bowser Jr was an all-rounder, which turned out to be correct. I wouldn't put it past them to pull a fast one like that, either...:/

• Thumbs Up 1

You know it's mediocre, just by seeing the temporary boxart and nothing else? Wow! That's some real talent!

Alright, I'm sorry, it was wrong for me to call this game mediocre before we even got some information released about this game but the last Mario and Sonic titles really did not impress me all that much, to me they really just seemed like quick cash-ins rather than a true cross-over of these two gaming giants due to their poor controls, Olympic Winter Games did not have the best steering mind you. But not only that but Sonic seems to be incredibly watered down whenever he stars in a game with Mario from my perspective. He seems to have no attitude and a forced smile on his face in these games and he appears slowed down just so he doesn't make Mario fans cry when he beats him by a landslide in a race. I believe that two things that make Sonic such a great character is his attitude and his speed. I do not see either of those in these games so as far as I'm concerned until Sonic starts acting how he normally acts in the mainstream games I can't bare to take these games seriously. Sonic's my hero, and when I see him go against his life long rival I want to see him for how he is and not watered down. Of course if this game is real, I'll still gladly purchase it but whenever I see Mario and Sonic together, I want to see Sonic with a serious "Let's blast through with Sonic speed!" game face on and not this mute happy go lucky face that we've been seeing in previous titles.

Again I apologize to everyone, I know I've made myself look like a jerk on the first page(wow first page, now everyone is gonna be giving me a thumbs down XD) but I did have good intentions....sorta. Anyway Shade the Echidna for the London 2012 Olympic Games. :lol:

Edit: Well another reason why I wasn't too thrilled about seeing this game being in production was because I was hoping that Sega would use all their energy this year to make Sonic's 20th anniversary game as great as it can be, but now that Sega may be biting off more than they can chew with the production of this game, this may take off some of their focus off of Sonic Generations. Great I can see it now. Sonic's PS3 and 360 exclusive anniversary game is a flop while his Wii game succeeds with flying colors, just like 06 and Secret Rings. <_< Alright, I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything but I'm just saying that I hope this success of one game and failure of another game does not happen. I would rather Sega taking their time and producing one game at a time than make a few games at once and then abandon one game due to them running out of time and then focusing on the other game.

Edited by S0NIC Toadstool

Edit: Well another reason why I wasn't too thrilled about seeing this game being in production was because I was hoping that Sega would use all their energy this year to make Sonic's 20th anniversary game as great as it can be, but now that Sega may be biting off more than they can chew with the production of this game, this may take off some of their focus off of Sonic Generations. Great I can see it now. Sonic's PS3 and 360 exclusive anniversary game is a flop while his Wii game succeeds with flying colors, just like 06 and Secret Rings. <_< Alright, I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything but I'm just saying that I hope this success of one game and failure of another game does not happen. I would rather Sega taking their time and producing one game at a time than make a few games at once and then abandon one game due to them running out of time and then focusing on the other game.

SEGA, like most publishers, has different teams working on their various games, so this game isn't taking resources away from others. Sonic Generations is likely being developed by Sonic Team and Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 is likely being developed by Dimps, like the first one. This game is very likely being made by the team who made the first 2 Olympic games, which I think is based in SEGA's Australian headquarters, though I'm not completely sure. It's definitely a completely separate team to Sonic Team though.

• Thumbs Up 2

These games aren't like typical Mario sports games where Nintendo makes them whenever they want, they're offically licensed. As long as SEGA holds the license, they have to make a new Olympics game for each upcoming event. Anyway, I REALLY hope the Wii version uses Motion Plus.

• Thumbs Up 1

These games aren't like typical Mario sports games where Nintendo makes them whenever they want, they're offically licensed. As long as SEGA holds the license, they have to make a new Olympics game for each upcoming event. Anyway, I REALLY hope the Wii version uses Motion Plus.

Yes, but nothing (that I know of) says that they have to use Mario & Sonic in them*. Likewise, nothing Olympics-related is stopping them from making a typical Mario & Sonic crossover.

(Not that I'm complaining. Refer to my original post for my thoughts on this)

*although putting Mario/Sonic in them does make a ton of sense sales-wise.

SEGA, like most publishers, has different teams working on their various games, so this game isn't taking resources away from others. Sonic Generations is likely being developed by Sonic Team and Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 is likely being developed by Dimps, like the first one. This game is very likely being made by the team who made the first 2 Olympic games, which I think is based in SEGA's Australian headquarters, though I'm not completely sure. It's definitely a completely separate team to Sonic Team though.

Eh alright, I guess that makes me feel a little more confident and hopeful for Sonic having a good 2011. Though I admit, I'm just feeling a little pushy about Sonic's 20th anniversary. I was really envious about Sonic's 15th anniversary being such a failure and his Wii spin-off being such a success, if that happened again this year, I just wouldn't know what to think of Sega. Sonic sells best on Nintendo consoles so when I saw how much effort they put into Secret Rings and how they abandoned 06 that tells me that they just wanted to take the easy way out and instead of building on Sonic's relationship other consoles, at the time it seemed that they just focused on the one that he was doing good on.(Not to mention that I could never hear the end of the Nintendo-Sonic-fans laughing at us who bought 06 over the Secret Rings) Yes, I know that was more than 5 years ago and I should just let it go but with another anniversary coming up, I just hope that things will go as smoothly as possible.

Anyway, did anyone mention the thought of Super Sonic and Metal Mario showing up as playable characters in this game yet?

Edited by S0NIC Toadstool

2. What if, in regards to characters, SEGA play the ultimate troll card and add NO new characters? Remembering to the last game, most fans were certain that there had to be at least 8 added for the roster to be balanced. It wasn't until the addition of Silver that some people (me included) took a step back and thought "Wait a minute...these characters are very conveniently typed, aren't they?", and it was those same ones who speculated that Bowser Jr was an all-rounder, which turned out to be correct. I wouldn't put it past them to pull a fast one like that, either...:/

I don't know about that. More characters are an easy way to claim that the game has new content, and there are a bunch of extra models from the last game's "rival" characters lying around that they could use without needing to put in any effort at all, at least on the Sonic side. The Mario characters they chose to be rivals were a little weak, though; if there are going to be new characters, I fully expect to see Diddy Kong in one of the slots to promote/leech off of the success of DKCR.

It would be nice to see a real surprise like Rosalina from the Mario side (or, god forbid, someone from the RPGs or the Wario series), but I'm not expecting much more than Birdo or Toadette or... I don't know, Lubba or something.

Yes, but nothing (that I know of) says that they have to use Mario & Sonic in them*. Likewise, nothing Olympics-related is stopping them from making a typical Mario & Sonic crossover.

(Not that I'm complaining. Refer to my original post for my thoughts on this)

*although putting Mario/Sonic in them does make a ton of sense sales-wise.

Well, actually Sega was involved in the development of the official Vancouver 2010 game (At least figures as publisher). But it's not as good as the M&S one is. look, according to Metacritic,

PS3: Winter: 56 Beijing: 58

360: Winter: 54 Beijing: 60

PC: Winter: 57 Beijing: 52

Not so good. But M&S were slightly better

Beijing: 67 (70 DS)

Vancouver(W): 72 (76 DS)

At least critic-wise the Mario & Sonic Olympic did better, I need to find if sale-wise was the same. Also, having Usain Bolt or whatever athlet of the moment on the box art doesn't attract kids as Mario and Sonic do

No, it's not "completely separate". I've said it before, but among the developers of Mario & Sonic Winter, there are people who worked on Shadow, Unleashed, Colors and/or the storybook games. Takashi Iizuka was the Director and Shun Nakamura was the Lead Game Designer.

True, in the credits of Mario & Sonic Winter, there are also many Japanese people who, as far as I know, didn't work on a Sonic game before (according to Blue Blood, the game was made by "a part of SEGA Sports Japan, formerally known as Smilebit"), but it's not completely separate from Sonic Team.

No, it's not "completely separate". I've said it before, but among the developers of Mario & Sonic Winter, there are people who worked on Shadow, Unleashed, Colors and/or the storybook games. Takashi Iizuka was the Director and Shun Nakamura was the Lead Game Designer.

True, in the credits of Mario & Sonic Winter, there are also many Japanese people who, as far as I know, didn't work on a Sonic game before (according to Blue Blood, the game was made by "a part of SEGA Sports Japan, formerally known as Smilebit"), but it's not completely separate from Sonic Team.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure they still wouldn't let if affect development of Sonic Generations.

If only they were developing Sonic & Beat at the X-Games...

Actually, jokes aside, I'd love to play that.

Boris Johnson for playable character kthxbai XD

I don't mind another Mario & Sonic sports game coming but I hope it more to do like the Story mode from the DS that could be the only thing to keep the game fresh for the Mario & Sonic Olympic Games just let it haveSonic playing football at Wembley XD that would be pretty awesome for me =D.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's strange to think of a Mario & Sonic game being set in the real world, never mind London, England! I haven't played the last one, (yet) but i'll make sure to keep an eye out for this one! Could we expect this to be the last in this olympic series however? I'd like to see more variety if they plan on making even more of these Mario/Sonic crossovers.