Awoo.

M&S at the London 2012 Olympic games General and big horse (Oss) appreciation thread

Badnik Mechanic

I haven't covered any of the bonus stories in any real depth here, just mentioned the absolute key point of each in passing. For now, I'll just go over the trickster story, might not do more until much, much later due to how tired I feel right now (ie I could drop to the floor to sleep).

The story really begins in the Challenger story; Bowser Jr comes across Eggman trying to train Metal Sonic, challenges him to an event challenge (on the condition that he'll become a slave for Eggman if he loses), wins, and asks for snacks and for Eggman to tell Bowser how awesome he was as his reward.

Cut to later, in the Trickster bonuses, and Eggman is still trying to get Metal Sonic's logistics right so that he can be the best athlete, He needs someone to test his modifications on, and thus sets his sights on Waluigi, who's walking about in London (but not after he decides not to use Cubot and Orbot, despite the former's pleas). Eggman attempts to trick Waluigi into fighting Metal Sonic by promising that he'll provide him with a way of beating Luigi and becoming the Superstar (which is odd, since this isn't Mario Party). Although the ruse is nearly blown by Cubot blabbering, Waluigi accepts the challenge, and is promptly beaten by Metal Sonic. Waluigi promises to himself that he'll train harder so that he can beat Luigi on his lonesome.

Meanwhile, Eggman has worked out that while MS's speed is up to par, his raw power is low. After modifying that, he sets his sights on Wario. Orbot and Cubot try to trick him by promising him a way to beat Mario, but Wario is flat-out disinterested. Eggman steps in to try and salvage the situation, and ends up in a deal; if Wario wins, he gets to keep Cubot and Orbot (Eggman would be more than glad to hand them over despite their protests if Wario did indeed win. Wario wants them since they're robots, thus could carry out menial labour for his business without needing pay). Metal Sonic wins though, and Wario is forced to hand something of his over. He barters an urn which he explains was obtained from an old woman who claimed that it was magic. Eggman accepts the deal, and takes the urn back to his base.

There, he figures out that this urn is the urn that contains the Phantasmal Fog. The urn was found at ancient English ruins (Stonehenge) and had been on display at the British Museum for 300 years, before it recently got stolen. Eggman uses his nearby machine to break the urn's seal, and the base is flooded with the fog. A Phantasmal clone of Sonic forms, which Eggman himself is eager to take on (Orbot and Cubot think that it's the real deal). After winning, Eggman laments on its usefulness, and decides to keep it around, thus ending the Trickster bonus story.

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted this in the status updates as well, but it's too funny to let it slip off the front page within a couple of minutes. Good god, some of the tutorial pictures for the Mario & Sonic 3DS Judo event look hilariously wrong. XD

435b25eb.jpg

Press FASTER for BIGGER moves. Tails, you're not fooling anyone.

To be honest, I'm kind of surprised Omega, of all characters, play a bigger role in the story than like, all of the playable characters alone. It's like he has the biggest role in the story, which is... Unexpected.

Edited by Agent York

I find it amusing that Eggman is the only person who is able to get one over Waluigi. Or that Waluigi trusts Robotnik so much to actually believe him.

Hmmm, retcon that perhaps Eggman met Waluigi at a Mario Party game or is familiar to Mario Party? It would seem plausible that we don't even know what Eggman does in his spare time and that he has access to many scientific gadgets that can transport him through time and space.

And could one imagine if Cubot was hired to do games for WarioWare since Wario wanted them for his business labor?

Also Eggman nor Bowser stole the urn. Shocker.(No, that's not sarcasm.)

I'm late to the party so it might have already been mentioned. But, did anyone notice the thing with Eggman Nega? I never did play Winter Olympics DS, so I don't know if it also happened on that game.

When the heroes meet Eggman Nega, Tails introduces him as "Eggmans descendant" then a sentance or two later, says how "Blaze stopped him."

Surely the whole different story from different games can't both be canon can they? It's just even more confusing. Can't Sega pick one and stick with it?

It also states when you view the Eggman Nega badge "The Eggman from Blaze's world." *shrug*

Have a new update for you guys, this time covering multiplayer!

Firstly, the character choice; I saw a few people speculating on hust how it might be done considering the format of the events. So, how did they do it in the Medley mode, where there are multiple events?

IT'S A YOSHI FEST!

:D

All the players are Yoshis, just in the colour matching their player colour. As the 1P host, I was red, and my volunteer was blue. This applied for every event.

The medley itself is pretty unusual; there's a total of nine pre-set events (100m, 110m hurdles, 3000m steeplechase, Floor, Triple jump, Trampoline, Basketball, Shot put and 20km walk). However, after the fifth event is a bonus game where Party News (hosted by Omochao) pops up and announced that Captain Drake's treasure has just been found, which the players get to haul up in order of 4th to 1st. Here, the AI absoloutely fucking cheats and gets all the highest bonuses. As such, I (1st) and the volunteer (2nd) helped each other find our own highest bonuses (the AIs were 20pts, his was 15pts, mine was 5pts. Omochao gives a second bulletin after a later event, and randomly gives out bonus points based on rank (ie lowest gets most, 1st gets fewest). Finally, bonus points are assignest based on a random category, thus whoever did best in it (ours was gymnastics) gets 20pts, whoever did worst get 15pts. This was enough to knock my volunteer from 2nd to 3rd, but I managed to stay 1st. Also, it takes a photo of you for the 'ceremony', if you let it.

This test was done with Medley Mode, on Download play. It was a little laggy.

Hey VEDJ-F speaking of character choices...since you got the game could you tell us what characters are available for what events? I guess the "fighting" events can only be played as power characters like Bowser and Vector? what are the groups and what are the events for each one?

Groups are like this;

Heroes; Mario, Sonic, Luigi, Tails

Girls; Blaze, Amy, Peach, Daisy

Tricksters; Wario, Waluigi, Eggman, Metal Sonic

Wild Ones; Vector, Bowser, Knuckles, Donkey Kong

Challengers; Bowser Jr, Yoshi, Silver, Shadow

And this is a list of the events each group does (in standard single-player Highlight/Medley Match, the rules don't always apply in Story mode or multi-player);

Heroes; 100m, 4x 100m Relay, Marathon, 20km Race Walk, Pole Vault, 100m Freestyle, Synchronised Swimming (Duet), Table Tennis (Doubles), Badminton (Doubles), Judo, Fencing - Epee, Horizontal Bar, Sprint, BMX, Rowing - Quadruple Sculls, Sailing - 470 (Pair), Archery (Team), Triathlon, Modern Pentathlon.

Girls; 100m Backstroke, Synchronised Swimming (Team), Beach Volleyball, Balance Beam, Rhythmic Ribbon (Team), Omnium, Keirin, Show Jumping (Team), Canoe Slalom (Pair), Archery (Individual).

Tricksters; Long Jump, 100m Breaststroke, Platform Diving (Synchronised), Hockey, Handball, Badminton (Singles), Taekwondo, 1000m Kayak (Singles), 25m Rapid Fire Pistol.

Wild Ones; Hammer Throw, Javelin Throw, Tennis (Singles), Football, Boxing, Wrestling - Freestyle, Rings, Double Trap, Weightlifting.

Challengers; 110m Hurdles, 1500m, 3000m Steeplechase, Triple Jump, Shot Put, 10k Marathon Swim, Water Polo, Basketball, Floor, Trampoline.

57 events, and the Wild Ones have only nine to their name. Not that anyone but Heroes has it much better with 10 events each,

Wow...it still sucks that you cant choose your character but I said that already.

They all get nice and crappy events, sucks that the only good events Bowser Jr, Shadow and Silver get are Water Polo and Basketball :,( At least theres a character I like for every group: Heroes: Sonic and Tails (I like Mario and Luigi too, I just dont use them much) Girls: Blaze Tricksters: Metal Sonic Wild Ones: Vector, Knuckles, Bowser Challengers: Bowser Jr, Shadow, Silver.

Sadly with Kid Icarus, Animal Crossing and Mario Tennis coming Ill have to wait for the next one. Thanks for putting all that effort to tell me just that, I guess you probably had to check it all. I appreciate it :)

Gacha system? there was a gacha system? what do you get from it?

One thing for sure is VEDJ-F swearing here...what else is beyond my knowledge

Um...Is it any surprise that I swear?

Anyway, to explain the Gacha system, I'll explain the collectibles from the top; There's two kinds that you can get, which are medals and badges. Medals are what they sound like, you earn them for winning at individual events. Badges are a whole different ball game. Some of the badges are earned by doing particular things in story mode, or completeing sets of medleys in Medley Event Mode. 160 of the 200 to collect, however, are earned through the Gacha system (called the badge machine in-game).

Before you can play the machine, you need to have tickets. Tickets are earned at a ratio of one every two events played. However, there is no requirement to WIN said events, so it's easy to just grind for them on Badminton singles by not touching anything (I can earn 75 tickets an hour by doing that). Once you have a ticket, you can then enter it into the machine and spin the mechanical switch, like you would on an IRL Gacha (albeit without entering the coin into the switch). From there, it's purely a game of chance, with badges coming in three tiers of rarity;

Blue capsule with yellow paper; The most common badge capsule, this contains the badges which have generic objects on them (ie they are categorised into things like transport, chess pieces, emotions, symbols, animals, plants, horoscopes etc). That said, since they contribute to 120 of the overall badge count, it isn't easy collecting all of them, anyway.

Yellow capsule with blue paper; Rarer than the blue capsule, this contains the assisting characters in the Mario and Sonic series. This has the badges of judges, rivals, and generic audience folk (so much so that one badge for the Sonic side is literally called "audience" ans has the little animals on it). Funnily enough, the first individual character in the Mario collection is Toad (the most important character that isn't an athlete). On the Sonic side? Espio. :/

Purple capsule with green paper; The rarest badge capsule, this contains the 20 athlete badges, which are sorted on the album page by their category, alternating between Mario being top, Sonic being bottom and vice versa. Simple.

Each capsule won contains just one badge each (should be obvious). However, once you've earned a badge, that badge is NOT removed from the system, making it very much possible to be missing some of the badges while having nine copies of others.

Also, as a final addendum, the badges comprise of the badge itself and a brief description (generic)/bio (character). The badges aren't just to be looked at, you can select one to act as your profile picture, much like how crowns and such worked in the original Wii Beijing game.

PS; For some reason, Birdo is never seen in the game, either in character appearance or as a badge, despite being present on the Wii version. Huh.

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hah...hah...huff...badge list...ow my hand.

Long post is loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong

Page 1

#1: Mario; Luigi’s brother, always ready to rescue Princess Peach from Bowser.

#2: Amy; A cheery girl madly in love with Sonic. She uses a piko-piko hammer.

#3: Wario; A powerhouse who doesn’t sweat the little stuff. Fueled by…garlic?

#4: Knuckles; Sonic’s sparring buddy, an echidna with fists that can shatter stone.

#5: Yoshi; Mario’s easygoing, dependable pal. His tongue can grab faraway food.

#6: Luigi; Mario’s twin shares his sense of duty if not daring. Afraid of Boos.

#7: Blaze; A cat princess from another world who wields flame to fight evil.

#8: Waluigi; A crafty no-goodnik, and self-appointed rival to Luigi.

#9: Vector; As leader of the Chaotix agency, he can’t ignore people in trouble.

#10: Bowser Jr.; Bowser’s pride and joy, and a little bundle of mischief.

#11: Sonic; The world’s fastest hedgehog! He hates corruption and dishonesty.

#12: Peach; Princess of the Mushroom Kingdom and Bowser’s favourite target. [LMAO]

#13: Dr. Eggman; Even with an IQ of 300, this evil genius can’t seem to beat Sonic.

#14: Bowser; Mario’s greatest rival and scourge of the Mushroom Kingdom.

#15: Shadow; Created by a genius scientist, Shadow’s speed matches Sonic’s.

#16: Tails; A kind-hearted fox kit who aids Sonic with his mechanical genius.

#17: Daisy; The upbeat and energetic princess of Sarasaland. She adores flowers.

#18: Metal Sonic; A super-advanced robot engineered by Dr. Eggman to surpass Sonic.

#19: Donkey Kong; Strong as an ox and a great tree climber, but a little bit spacy.

#20: Silver; A hedgehog from the future with psychokinetic powers.

Page 2

#21: Story Mode Cleared; Cleared all episodes in Story Mode.

#22: Requirement – Complete every event in Story Mode.

#23: Requirement – Complete every other badge.

#24: Requirement – Set every record.

#25: Requirement – Win every gold medal.

#26: Requirement – Win all Athletic gold medals.

#27: Requirement – Win all Aquatic gold medals.

#28: Requirement – Win all Court & Field gold medals.

#29: Requirement – Win all Contact Sport gold medals.

#30: Requirement – Win all Gymnastics gold medals.

#31: Requirement – Win all Cycling gold medals.

#32: Requirement – Win all Equestrian gold medals.

#33: Requirement – Win all Boat Games gold medals.

#34: Requirement – Win all Shooting gold medals.

#35: Weightlifting Ace; Won gold medals in all levels of all Weightlifting events.

#36: Requirement – Win all Multi-discipline gold medals.

#37: Requirement – Clear all of the medleys.

#38: Requirement – Win a custom medley of rarity 8 or more.

#39: Requirement – Win a custom medley of rarity 9 or more.

#40: Requirement – Win a custom medley of rarity 10.

Page 3

#41: Toad; Peach’s page from the Mushroom Kingdom, always aiding Mario.

#42: Blue Toad; Peach’s page from the Mushroom Kingdom, always aiding Mario.

#43: Yellow Toad; Peach’s page from the Mushroom Kingdom, always aiding Mario.

#44: Purple Toad; Peach’s page from the Mushroom Kingdom, always aiding Mario.

#45: Goomba; Defected from the Mushroom Kingdom to serve Bowser.

#46: Red Shy Guy; Always getting in the way, he’s too bashful to show his face.

#47: Blue Shy Guy; Always getting in the way, he’s too bashful to show his face.

#48: Yellow Shy Guy; Always getting in the way, he’s too bashful to show his face.

#49: Green Shy Guy; Always getting in the way, he’s too bashful to show his face.

#50: Lakitu; Rides a cloud through the sky. Famous for his glasses and hair.

#51: Green & Red Shells; These Koopa Troopa shells are perfect for lobbing at rivals.

#52: Bullet Bill; A rather dangerous fellow who is shot out of Bill Blasters.

#53: King Boo; King of the Boos, with the huge size and crown to prove it.

#54: Boo; A bashful ghost who just can’t stand to make eye contact.

#55: Dry Bones; This animated pile of bones can fall apart and still be fine.

#56: Magikoopa; A member of the Koopa clan that can use magic and fly on a broom.

#57: Dry Bowser; A Koopa who turned into bones after falling into lava.

#58: Audience; Sonic’s animal pals have come from the forest to cheer.

#59: Espio; A chameleon ninja who’s always cool and collected.

#60: Charmy; Always bright and cheery, known for his flight suit and helmet.

Page 4

#61: Cream; Hardworking and polite, she is always with her friend Cheese.

#62: Chao; A cute but fragile life form, pure and fleeting.

#63: Omochao; No one’s sure who made this Chao-shaped robot.

#64: Hero Chao; This Chao has evolved to be kind and caring.

#65: Dark Chao; This Chao has evolved to be a mischief-maker.

#66: Big; Slow and mellow, this cat is a gentle giant.

#67: Rouge; A treasure-hunting lady bat who loves jewels.

#68: Jet; Legendary Wind Master and leader of the Babylon Rogues.

#69: Omega; Dr. Eggman’s ultimate robot, upset at being locked away.

#70: Egg Pawn; Dr. Eggman’s footsoldier robot, able to use various weapons.

#71: Egg Flapper; Dr. Eggman’s aerial sentry robot, able to fly freely.

#72: Orbot; Dr. Eggman’s aide robot, who handles chores with Cubot.

#73: Cubot; Dr. Eggman’s aide robot, who mostly goofs off with Orbot.

#74: Eggman Nega; The Eggman from Blaze’s world. Polite, but ice cold.

#75: Wenlock 1; A drop of steel shaped by George that came to life.

#76: Wenlock 2; His name comes from Much Wenlock, where he was born.

#77: Wenlock 3; He’s traveling around the UK on a journey to meet friends.

#78: Wenlock 4; His friendship bracelet is in the Olympic colors.

#79: Wenlock 5; Cheery and upbeat, he loves making new discoveries.

#80: Wenlock 6; He’s trying hard to make new friends around the world.

Page 5

#81: Story Mode 1; Cleared Mario and Sonic’s first episode in Story Mode.

#82: Story Mode 2; Cleared the Challengers’ and the Girls’ episodes in Story Mode.

#83: Story Mode 3; Cleared the Tricksters’ and the Wild Ones’ episodes in Story Mode.

#84: Story Mode 4; Cleared the final episode of Story Mode.

#85: Requirement – Win all London Games medleys on Easy+.

#86: Requirement – Win all London Games medleys on Normal+.

#87: Requirement – Win all London Games medleys on Hard.

#88: Requirement – Win all Party Mix medleys on Easy+.

#89: Requirement – Win all Party Mix medleys on Normal+.

#90: Requirement – Win all Party Mix medleys on Hard.

#91: Requirement – Win all Variety medleys on Easy+.

#92: Requirement – Win all Variety medleys on Normal+.

#93: Requirement – Win all Variety medleys on Hard.

#94: Custom Medley R1 – Won a Custom Medley of rarity level 1.

#95: Custom Medley R2 – Won a Custom Medley of rarity level 2.

#96: Requirement – Win a custom medley of rarity 3 or more.

#97: Requirement – Win a custom medley of rarity 4 or more.

#98: Requirement – Win a custom medley of rarity 5 or more.

#99: Requirement – Win a custom medley of rarity 6 or more.

#100: Requirement – Win a custom medley of rarity 7 or more.

Page 6

#101: Lion; The king of the beasts, complete with flowing mane.

#102: Tiger; The stripes are camouflage, letting it sneak up on prey.

#103: Bear; They can grow to 10 feet and weigh over 1,500lbs.

#104: Penguin; These flightless birds are adept swimmers instead.

#105: Eagle; The king of the skies, with wingspans up to 6 feet.

#106: Panda; Eats 10 meals a day, or around 50lbs of bamboo.

#107: Bunny; Its big ears serve to hear and to let off body heat.

#108: Cat; Sleeps for 14 hours a day.

#109: Dog; Its nose is 100 million times keener than a human’s.

#110: Horse; A horse never forgets the face of its caretaker.

#111: Tropical Fish; These warm-water denizens come in all shapes and colors.

#112: Jellyfish; These parachute-shaped sea creatures float with grace.

#113: Shark; Sharks’ serrated teeth grow back thousands of times.

#114: Whale; The world’s largest animals, growing up to 100 feet long!

#115: Dolphin; Dolphins and porpoises are whales’ smaller cousins.

#116: Butterfly; Fuzzy caterpillars grow up into these beautiful insects.

#117: Bee; These hard workers live on flower nectar. Some sting!

#118: Mantis; Known for its big, scythe-shaped arms and big mandibles.

#119: Ladybug; These prettily-patterned bugs play dead when in danger.

#120: Beetle; Rhinoceros beetles use their big horns to wrestle enemies.

Page 7

#121: Strawberry; There’s no seed inside, but there are little seeds on the outside.

#122: Pineapple; It’s thick, prickly outside hides a sweet treat inside.

#123: Grapes; Black, red or green, they’re eaten raw or made into wine.

#124: Orange; Peel and fruit are both edible, and oil is taken from the flower.

#125: Cherry; People were eating cherries 4,000 years ago.

#126: Turnip; Great roasted, mashed or made into soup.

#127: Eggplant; In addition to the striking purple, they also come in green and white.

#128: Corn; Steamed, boiled, or grilled, you can’t go wrong with corn.

#129: Pumpkin; Bake them into pie, or carve out a spooky jack-o-lantern!

#130: Tomato; They held a trial to see if they’re fruit or veggie. Verdict: veggie! [WRONG FUCKERS]

#131: Tulip; Hundreds of varieties exist in a variety of shapes and colors.

#132: Sunflower; Some grow to be 10 feet tall. They always face the sun.

#133: Daisy; Cousins to the chrysanthemum, first found in South Africa.

#134: Rose; Roses come in a lot of colors, but never blue unless dyed.

#135: Cherry Tree; Bears beautiful pink blossoms and some yield tasty fruit.

#136: Palm Tree; Coconuts come from these distinctive tropical trees.

#137: Cactus; These prickly plants can survive on very little water.

#138: Four-Leaf Clover; A symbol of good luck. If you find one, lucky you!

#139: Maple; Its leaves turn a vivid red when fall comes around.

#140: Acorn; A common sight, these are a squirrel’s favourite snack.

Page 8

#141: London Bus; One of London’s famous red double-decker tour buses.

#142: Car; Some run on gasoline, others on electricity.

#143: Motorcycle; Motorcycles are great for zipping along the highway.

#144: Bicycle; With a good bike, a person can go just about anywhere!

#145: Boat; Cut across the seven seas aboard your very own skiff.

#146: Helicopter; Unlike most planes, they can fly vertically or even hover.

#147: Locomotive; Powered by steam engines, they can pull massive trains.

#148: Rocket; Maybe we’ll be vacationing on the moon in these soon.

#149: Airplane; The fastest plane flies at Mach 9.68 (7500mph).

#150: UFO; If you see a flying saucer, be sure to snap a photo!

#151: Piano; They have 88 keys now, but used to have only white keys.

#152: Guitar; Just holding a guitar makes you look 47% cooler.

#153: Microphone; They give your singing voice a little boost.

#154: Drums; Snares, cymbals, and a big kick drum to keep rhythm.

#155: Violin; Careful, violins carved by masters are super pricey!

#156: Bell; Teams of 7 to 16 people play these beauties together.

#157: Trumpet; These powerful brass horns can stir people into action.

#158: Saxophone; A star of jazz, invented 170 years ago by Mr. Sax.

#159: Maracas; Just grab a pair of these shakers and it’s a party!

#160: Ocarina; An ancient instrument in the shape of a goose’s beak.

Page 9

#161: Sunny; A big, bright sun striking in a cloudless sky.

#162: Cloudy; Big, fluffy clouds come to cover up the sun.

#163: Rain; Water falls to the earth, giving life to plants.

#164: Thunder; The sound trails the flash, the result of a sonic shock wave.

#165: Snow; Rain, frozen in crystals, and white from high air current.

#166: Star; Make a wish on one of these and it’s sure to come true.

#167: Moon; This crescent’s glow is really reflected sunlight.

#168: Planet; I wonder if anybody lives on this one?

#169: Aries; The astrological sign of the ram. What’s your sign?

#170: Taurus; The astrological sign of the bull. What’s your sign?

#171: Gemini; The astrological sign of the twins. What’s your sign?

#172: Cancer; The astrological sign of the crab. What’s your sign?

#173: Leo; The astrological sign of the lion. What’s your sign?

#174: Virgo; The astrological sign of the maiden. What’s your sign?

#175: Libra; The astrological sign of the scales. What’s your sign?

#176: Scorpio; The astrological sign of the scorpion. What’s your sign?

#177: Sagittarius; The astrological sign of the archer. What’s your sign?

#178: Capricorn; The astrological sign of the goat. What’s your sign?

#179: Aquarius; The astrological sign of the water jug. What’s your sign?

#180: Pisces; The astrological sign of the fish. What’s your sign?

Page 10

#181: King; The king chess piece, carved in the shape of a crown.

#182: Queen; The queen chess piece, carved in the shape of a tiara.

#183: Bishop; The bishop chess piece, carved in the shape of a bishop’s mitre.

#184: Knight; The knight chess piece, carved in the shape of a horse’s head.

#185: Rook; The rook chess piece, carved in the shape of a castle tower.

#186: Pawn; The pawn chess piece, carved in the shape of a soldier.

#187: Spade; One of the four card suits, said to represent knights.

#188: Heart; One of the four card suits, said to represent clergy.

#189: Diamond; One of the four card suits, said to represent merchants.

#190: Club; One of the four card suits, said to represent farmers.

#191: Girl; A girl symbol.

#192: Boy; A boy symbol.

#193: Music Note; Use this when you’re happy and you know it!

#194: !! Mark; Use this when you’re surprised, or you reaaally mean it.

#195: !? Mark; Use this when you can’t believe what you’re seeing.

#196: Smiley face; Use this when you’re all smiles.

#197: Shy face; Use this when you’re feeling a little bit bashful.

#198: Sad face; Use this when you’re feeling blue.

#199: Happy face; Use this when you’re feeling A-okay. [it looks more like love than content]

#200: Angry face; Use this when you’re hopping mad! Oooh!

And there we go.

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh hey, guise! So, after having this game lie on my coffee table for a week I've finally started to play it. Man, were my low expectations blown away! Just started getting into the story mode and it's positively awesome so far. From a technical standpoint, it blows Mario & Sonic 2DS out of the water; the scenes are given a full-blown musical accompaniment, a wide variety of camera angles, and the characters are incredibly animated throughout the scenes.

Aside from that, the writing's been fleshed out quite a bit, too! The characters' speaking roles have been increased quite a bit, and there's loads more interaction going on. Also, they're making incredible usage of the characters so far... and I've only just passed episode one! I positively adore Omochao and King Boo's roles so far. Rather than being nothing but mere plot devices, they've actually been given a place in the story this time around. (Omochao did nothing but give out hints, and King Boo was just randomly there as a rival in the previous title.)

I love what they did with Omochao here. After being separated from Toad, I adore how they expanded upon his inquisitive and intellectual aspects of his character. He takes it upon himself to tail the fog phantoms, and deducts the mechanics of the fog all by himself in the meantime. Aside from that, they even expand upon his relationship with Sonic and friends, by him stating that the impostors' mischievous behaviour "weren't the Sonic and Tails I know".

The hijinks between the "newbie" Boo and the King were hilarious. Love how the newbie even makes a continuity nod to Luigi's Mansion during their conversation. Also, it's awesome how they've taken up the London Tower as their ghastly hideout.

I can even understand why they've gone and broken the characters into individual teams this time around. Sure, it sucks for actual gameplay purposes, but for the story mode it gives every single a character a chance to shine in the limelight. I'm all sorts of okay with that.

Edited by HunterTSF

The thing is that the categories can exist without the need to restrict the characters to particular events. We know this because every other Mario and Sonic game did this.

Hah! I remember noticing and have since forgotten, and have now remembered again.

Chaos makes a cameo in the story on the game. Did anyone notice?

Well...a part of him physically appears in the game...and for the life of me, I can't figure out how they let slip such an obvious mistake...maybe I was more likely to notice because I'm a fan of Big and Froggy. Unless something happened on the winter olympics story mode that I'm not familiar with...

So...why has Froggy been possessed by Chaos tail again? For that matter, I doubt Chaos could make it to the winter olympics...he'd just freeze, surely...

You get what I'm saying, right? Froggy is clearly seen with a tail, or rather, Chaos tail...frogs don't have tails...Froggy used too...but he doesn't now... *facepalm*

The thing is that the categories can exist without the need to restrict the characters to particular events. We know this because every other Mario and Sonic game did this.

Yeah, I by no means agree with it. Concentrating on groups for story purposes I'm okay with, but limiting the gameplay outside of said mode only to four characters exclusive for that event is by all means stupid. Especially considering that the DS managed it just fine and that the 3DS rivals (surpasses?) the Wii in computing power anyways.

Also oh my god I love story mode. I stopped at the beginning of the Heroes episode but I'm really enjoying it so far. Nice to see some non-playable characters actually join you party and do things. Jet was amazing. And Bowser, Jr's dynamic exit? Beautiful.

Edited by HunterTSF

I think the category limit is partly in place due the the number of events actually. Considering that there's like 50 events instead of the average 20 odds in the other games, creating the Animations for each set of 4 characters per event is gonna be far easier to manage than a full group of twenty for each specific event. It still kinda sucks yeah, but its one of those "sacrifices must be made" deals I guess :/

Also I really enjoyed the story of the game myself. I did find it kinda a shame that it wasn't didn't have the same level of content as the Adventure Tours (those explorable areas and character exclusive games were pretty damn nifty), but the actual story itself was pretty fun. I'd say some of the best bits were with the Tricksters and the Bonus levels really (that little tune that tends to accompany them~),

what with Waluigi's "greatest invention" and Wario's snack emporium scheme, not to mention more Orbot and Cubot and Bowser's minions rigging matches

...I guess now we wait and see what news we get next year of the next Winter Olympics, huh? :V

Compared to the winter one, the adventure mode was a HUGE disappointment. All it was was cutscene, event, cutscene, fog clones, etc. No hub worlds, which could have been amazing. The events were okay, the only ones I liked were Sprint, BMX, Basketball and the Pentathon. The events also seemed demeaned. Like football. It wasn't even a game, just PKing, unlike Hockey in the winter one. There was a lot of potential for an already bad idea, and they REALLY screwed up. I don't even want to talk about the Wii version, except it had good music.

The Wii version was quite enjoyable actually, I just wish the events were a bit more involving in comparison to it's Winter prequel. There also weren't enough Dream events and the controls can leave a lot to be desired.

The character models definitely need a decent upgrade, they look really jagged and dated nowadays.

But the events I did feel like playing were all nice and fun, the Dream events were great and as usual the best part of the game. London Party is actually a rather nice substitution for Winter's Day-By-Day tourney thing. As it had it's own Mini Games, and the Highway Marathon one in particular is a favorite for me.

Overall I'd say it's a Great addition to Mario & Sonic, but the Wii-U Game has to step it up big time, it's begging for HD and some more fleshed out quality events. And more Dream Events are a must.

So a couple things I have noticed referenced in the Wii game that are interesting details.

1. Eggman-Nega's category is revealed in this game. Since all characters have a certain style of special attack that makes each other similar to another in the same category when powering up in fencing ( Daisy and Yoshi have rapid fire attacks, Waluigi and Eggman throw their projectiles for example) Eggman-Nega charges into the opposing player when he powers up. So what class is Nega?

He's an all-around character, just like Mario.

2. This could be a reference to the 3DS game and the bonus episode of the Tricksters, but Metal Sonic's swimming style is exactly like Waluigi's. Since it was mentioned that Eggman was using Waluigi to perfect Metal in many categories (excluding power,) it appears some styles were copied off of Eggman's purple doppelganger. Don't know for sure if it is what the writers had in mind, but if so that's a pretty awesome detail.

3. The "old lady" was presumably Rouge the Bat whom stole the urn. What an insult.

One thing I need to mention is that getting special character missions are hard in London Party mode. A character has to be out during the right time at the right location in order to trigger their special mission. Filing up that sticker sheet with character stickers seems impossible, and changing the difficulty level does nothing.

Does anyone have an easier method to get character stickers ( the ones I'm talking about are people like Daisy, Silver, Vector, ect. for example?)