Awoo.

M&S at the London 2012 Olympic games General and big horse (Oss) appreciation thread

Badnik Mechanic

Yeah, collecting the character stickers really takes a lot of patience. I've got every sticker except for Peach, Bowser, Knuckles, Donkey Kong and Vector by now (well, and synchronized swimming as I never get the movements right...).

Besides Vector (who was standing there when Competition Time started...), I've encountered all of these characters, but they always handed out the wrong mission with the wrong stickers. :/

I only have a few facts that might come in handy:

- Characters of the same ability class give you the same two missions. For example, skill athletes offer you Vacant Lot Espio Search and Hyde Park Coin Collectors, but only the latter gives you the character's sticker.

- The first time you meet a character, he will probably give you the wrong mission. However, you can use this for your own advantage. If for example Tails appears with the wrong mission and you complete it, Eggman might appear later handing out the right one as he is from the same ability type as Tails. At least this is what happened to me quite a few times.

- If you help a certain character with a generic mission, he might reappear later to offer you a character sticker mission.

- If Competition Time is about to start and there's no character of interest, I'd rather wait until Big Ben chimes than doing another mission, because it could result in you seeing a wanted character staying in London while you have to choose the next event.

- Power Types are extremely stingy. -.-

However, all you really need is luck.

By the way, the stickers are the only source of how the rivals are placed this time around (although I guess the intro does too xD).

EDIT: Well, I've earned Vector's sticker just an hour after writing this post. I'm happy now. xD

Edited by LukA8
  • Thumbs Up 1

You get what I'm saying, right? Froggy is clearly seen with a tail, or rather, Chaos tail...frogs don't have tails...Froggy used too...but he doesn't now... *facepalm*

You've just revealed the plot for the next Olympic game.

Edited by Winston
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo Gamer gave the game 70/100. On the way, they kinda insult Tails, say that Robotnik and Wario team up after not being invited to the Olympics in a caption (but get it right within the review text, so that's odd), say that the story mode should have been more about the side character bonus stories since the main story is 'pap' and compliment the download play for being so lag-free even though it can also be unfair in catching up opportunities (the former is bollocks; it took way too long when I did download play). Their main issue was that the events themselves felt too unfulfilling.

Yeah, collecting the character stickers really takes a lot of patience. I've got every sticker except for Peach, Bowser, Knuckles, Donkey Kong and Vector by now (well, and synchronized swimming as I never get the movements right...).

Besides Vector (who was standing there when Competition Time started...), I've encountered all of these characters, but they always handed out the wrong mission with the wrong stickers. :/

I only have a few facts that might come in handy:

- Characters of the same ability class give you the same two missions. For example, skill athletes offer you Vacant Lot Espio Search and Hyde Park Coin Collectors, but only the latter gives you the character's sticker.

- The first time you meet a character, he will probably give you the wrong mission. However, you can use this for your own advantage. If for example Tails appears with the wrong mission and you complete it, Eggman might appear later handing out the right one as he is from the same ability type as Tails. At least this is what happened to me quite a few times.

- If you help a certain character with a generic mission, he might reappear later to offer you a character sticker mission.

- If Competition Time is about to start and there's no character of interest, I'd rather wait until Big Ben chimes than doing another mission, because it could result in you seeing a wanted character staying in London while you have to choose the next event.

- Power Types are extremely stingy. -.-

However, all you really need is luck.

By the way, the stickers are the only source of how the rivals are placed this time around (although I guess the intro does too xD).

EDIT: Well, I've earned Vector's sticker just an hour after writing this post. I'm happy now. xD

Well, apparently I have had no trouble finding most of the character stickers you mentioned ( I cannot count how many times I have ran into Donkey Kong and Peach.)

Perhaps who you are teamed up with in some events can be an indicator of who is more likely to show up to give you their sticker. For example, Eggman was apparently teamed up with Waluigi in 1000 meter canoeing. However the game pulled a dick move on me and made Waluigi appear right after I placed the last sticker on the sheet and won London Party.

Let's just say I invented a couple of new cusswords ...

I also recall the game doing this to me with Eggman , Vector, Mario and rematch Nega. Wii has been trolling me hard lately.

Edited by Kintobor

Perhaps who you are teamed up with in some events can be an indicator of who is more likely to show up to give you their sticker. For example, Eggman was apparently teamed up with Waluigi in 1000 meter canoeing. However the game pulled a dick move on me and made Waluigi appear right after I placed the last sticker on the sheet and won London Party.

Weren't Eggman and Waluigi rivals in the first Olympics? Apparently the Canoe event makes some references to rivalries now and then.

Well, on the sticker sheet, Waluigi is teamed up with Silver, but I doubt it has anything to do with who you are playing as. They just appear with pure coincidence. Using a character from the same ability type as the one you want to meet might increase the chance though, and in your case, Eggman is one of them.

One strategy that works well is to play as bad as possible. In the first half of London Party, events with four characters are often listed as Co-op play where you are teamed up with the other three competitors. And if you play bad on purpose, you prevent them from getting stickers too.

Anyway, the longer a party lasts, the higher is the chance of a certain character to appear. This works great for Rematch rivals.

Weren't Eggman and Waluigi rivals in the first Olympics? Apparently the Canoe event makes some references to rivalries now and then.

Well, on the sticker sheet, Waluigi is teamed up with Silver, but I doubt it has anything to do with who you are playing as. They just appear with pure coincidence. Using a character from the same ability type as the one you want to meet might increase the chance though, and in your case, Eggman is one of them.

One strategy that works well is to play as bad as possible. In the first half of London Party, events with four characters are often listed as Co-op play where you are teamed up with the other three competitors. And if you play bad on purpose, you prevent them from getting stickers too.

Anyway, the longer a party lasts, the higher is the chance of a certain character to appear. This works great for Rematch rivals.

Waluigi being paired up with Eggman has been a Nintendo tradition since the first game when they released character media packages. They are also assumed to be friendly rivals, just like Wario and Eggman ( though that pair-off came a bit later and seeing there's also a bit of history behind that ideal with the two characters sharing the same voice actor long ago.)

Nevertheless I agree that playing horribly does increase your chances of getting bigger star characters to show up on the board since it prolongs your game time.

Slight update; That one video walkthough by one MrMarioIsBack? Yeah, apparently SEGA Europe did NOT take kindly to it, as his account has been terminated due to copyright breaches claimed by them.

• 2 weeks later...

Waluigi being paired up with Eggman has been a Nintendo tradition since the first game when they released character media packages.

I've never heard of these media packages before. Have you got any pictures or a link? Still, you're right about Waluigi and Eggman, but most characters have more than one rival anyway.

Finally...I've got all the Chaos Emeralds character stickers in London Party. It took ages and I have all the other stickers too by now. I doubt anyone is interested in how the characters are paired up this time...

But I am proud so I will post a picture anyway. : P

imag0203p.jpg

I've never heard of these media packages before. Have you got any pictures or a link? Still, you're right about Waluigi and Eggman, but most characters have more than one rival anyway.

Finally...I've got all the Chaos Emeralds character stickers in London Party. It took ages and I have all the other stickers too by now. I doubt anyone is interested in how the characters are paired up this time...

But I am proud so I will post a picture anyway. : P

imag0203p.jpg

Sleep well sweet prince, your hard work is now complete.

About the media packages? Hmmmm. I don't think I can give a link, but basically they were screenshots of the characters in various sporting events along with unlocking the website's character data. They were packages because they would be released to the public from the SEGA website. As I recall, they would release two or three characters at a time each month or biweekly. I always remember them releasing Waluigi with Eggman every game. The second game prompted them to pair him up with both Wario and Waluigi.

If I recall, the release information goes like this:

Mario and Sonic

Tails and Luigi

Peach and Amy

Vector and Wario (I think they changed Wario to Bowser in the Winter Olympics)

Eggman and Waluigi

Yoshi and Shadow (or Knuckles, I forgot...)

Daisy and Shadow ( If I remember this was the odd one out. Then it was Daisy and Blaze.)

Donkey Kong and Knuckles (to my recollection. It was changed from there on to Vector and Donkey Kong for obvious parody reasons.)

Silver? I cannot remember him. Bowser Jr. was with Metal Sonic and dear ol' dad.

Edited by Kintobor

I just found out how broken Soccer was once you discover the power of co-op.

Jesus, when you work together with someone with talent, you can score on com every six seconds or so. I stopped playing in the first half when the score was something obscene like 20-0.

After sitting on my desk for several weeks I finally opened my Wii version when my nephews came over yesterday. Between them and my niece and I wanting to play between the 2 Wii remotes, I didn't get to play that much. I played a round of Table Tennis, which was fine and fun to play. My arm got quite a workout from it.

I wanted to try one of the new events in the game, so I played the Show Jumping\Equestrian event. It took me a minute to get used to the controls. I thought the game had glitched when Sonic disappeared off the screen when I realized that Sonic fell off the horse! I died laughing. The event was pretty fun. tongue.png

Although it was a little taste, I enjoyed what I experienced with the game so far. Looking forward to playing more of the game, especially the London Party mode. smile.png

Random little tip for prolonging London Games (and thus having a longer opportunity to have a rare character pop up); if the opportunity arises, pick a team game. With any luck, you AND your opponents will be lumped on the same team, so you can fail and keep the sticker count exactly the same for a turn.

This is also a great tip for prolonging threads.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wayhey!

Also, managed to get all the stickers after several attempts at the London Party. Last sticker was Yoshi, weirdly enough. Shame I didn't find it IN THE BATHROOM.

Trying to judge whether Mario and Sonic London suggests that Sonic Rivals 2 is non-canon.

• 1 month later...

Well, this topic's practically in sight of its grave.

Replying to the Sonic 4: Episode 2 topic reminded me of the review of the game in Games Master Presents Mario vs Sonic Special. Mostly standard stuff in there. While they still find the Olympics premise boring, they did enjoy the package overall and gave it 85% overall, probably one of the highest scores for it out there.

The reason the Sonic 4 thing reminded me was because of their review a couple of pages earlier of the original Mario and Sonic had this as a caption; " A good use of Miis lets you face off as all your favourite characters. And Vector*." See, European media is much more forgiving than American media of Sonic!

*Which really doesn't surprise me. The kind of character Vector seems like on the surface was a stereotype that got done to death over here as far back as the 90s. There's a preview of Sonic Heroes from 2003 that takes pot-shots at Vector for being a bad Ali-G (to paraphrase) (and also Espio for being a ninja stereotype. Wasn't aware the ninja stereotype was done to death in the 90s, but whatever), and the same preview was extremely excited to see Cream in 3D (...ERM).

So, yeah, some loosely related stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: VEDJ-F be helpin', yo.

Alright, bumping this topic up a bit for an important Summer of Sonic related issue regarding one of the more prominent Sonic animators on the web.

You guys know of Roger, right? The one behind the IMP series, as well as numerous Sonic parodies such as "Sonic _______ in x minutes", and under Red Hedgehog, "The Doomed Shadow Show", "Shadow the Warhog" and so on?

Well, he's about to start producing "Mario & Sonic at the 2012 Olympic Games in x Minutes" for the SOS occasion. However, he's in a bit of a pickle. His 3DS is with his girlfriend and his Internet stinks, so there's no YouTube, thus no footage.

He needs the dialogue of the game before he can get somewhere concrete with his script. I don't have M&S'12 3DS myself, so that's why I'm posting here.

If you can help Roger out, let him know on his dA journal. If you don't have an account, I can relay the message.

I might be able to put forward my services, God knows I already do a fuckton of dialogue noting as is (See; the pages and pages of Generations quotes I've got up), and it's easy enough to pull the dialogue off the game itself since you don't have to do the challenge once an episode's done with.

Edit: I've already said I can help on his journal though, so don't relay it. tongue.png

Edit 2: Wait, did you recognise my account there? If so, how?

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 1

I might be able to put forward my services, God knows I already do a fuckton of dialogue noting as is (See; the pages and pages of Generations quotes I've got up), and it's easy enough to pull the dialogue off the game itself since you don't have to do the challenge once an episode's done with.

Edit: I've already said I can help on his journal though, so don't relay it. tongue.png

Edit 2: Wait, did you recognise my account there? If so, how?

THE REAL SUPERPOWER OF TEAMWORK!

Skull Leader's profile page here has your dA name. tongue.png

Oh. Ah yes, of course.

So, uh, didn't quite get the scene he was looking for (he said he couldn't remember exactly so I had to guess based on stuff), but it apparently gave him enough info anyway. Just by retrieving the script alone, I think I can see what one of the main jokes will be. It's too stupid NOT to be made fun of.

• 3 weeks later...

So...anyone has managed to get all the badges from the 3DS version? I only have the custom medleys left...how I make a custom medley of rarity 6 or higher?

I didn't want to make a new thread for this. Sorry ^^

Edited by Seraphinprincess

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow, Sega are still supporting the 3DS version for extras! I guess it makes sense since the Olympics take place just next month, but still.

You mean me? I was just responding to BusyLizzie's status, really. They were the ones who found out about the virtual card album app being available for download in Europe from today.

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 1

Right, time to write up a brief guide to the virtual card game.

When you start off, you get five cards. As far as I know, this consists of 2 *s, 2 ** and 1 ***. What do these mean? Allow me to demostrate;

* - Rarity of 1, supposed to be the most common tier. There are 20 of these.

** - Rarity of 2, uncommon. There are 20 of these as well.

*** - Rarity of 3, very uncommon. There are 24 of these, however.

**** - Rarity of 4, rare. There are 5 of these.

***** - Rarity of 5, very rare.

Now, to illustrate what these cards are and how to get them;

* - These cards consist of Wii minigame screenshots, 3DS story screenshots and unconventional event screenshots (Wii for the one I have). They can be got either through Spotpass, Nintendo Zone or getting some in the starter pack.

** - These cards are screenshots of the more conventional Olympic events, Wii and 3DS alike. They are gotten by the same method as * cards, but come out less often.

*** - This tag is actually deceptive. You can get them from the above methods, but there are two more options which are more reliable;

>Play Coins; Every character has their own card which can be bought for 3 coins each, although you do get one in the starter pack (looks like either Mario or Sonic, because I got Mario in mine).

>Earning cards; 4 cards are not like the others. They depict screenshots of the CGI trailer. To get these, you need to earn a certain amount of cards. The first three unlock tiers are 7, 15 and 30, and I assume 60 is the last one.

**** - These cards are exclusively bought with play coins, at 5 coins a pop. These reflect the different classes in the 3DS version (ie Heroes, Challengers, Girls, Wild Ones and Tricksters).

***** - Three of the cards are bought with Play Coins, and cost a whopping 10 coins each. These depict different promo and boxart artworks for the main marketing drive. The fourth one currently eludes me, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a reward for getting all 72 other cards.

Also, every card from *** and rarer has a soundbyte with it as well as being in 3D. Joys.

Edited by VEDJ-F