Awoo.

M&S at the London 2012 Olympic games General and big horse (Oss) appreciation thread

Badnik Mechanic

The funny thing is, I have almost all the rarest cards, most of the ones I'm missing are the common, one and two-star ones.

Same here. I think they were banking on people spending their play coins so much beforehand that they'd have to save up for ages to get enough to buy them all. I had 97 before today, and got 10 more doing an errand for Mum and simultaneously went to the Nintendo Zone hotspot in Stoke (since the hotspot and the shop I was told to go to were across the street from each other). I only have one **** card left to buy from there, which means the total coins needed would be 112. For someone with no play coins going into it, that would be nearly two weeks to wait.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had the full 300 play coins before starting, so yeah. =P

Well, no fucking wonder. You could by a duplicate of every single one of them if you wanted to. tongue.png

Edited by VEDJ-F

Also, every card from *** and rarer has a soundbyte with it as well as being in 3D. Joys.

As someone who's not in the UK and can't download it and has only tried the demo of the 3DS game, does this mean that there are 3D stereoscopic versions of the pre-rendered art on the cards that feature character renders, or do they just have a flat render "floating" above the background or the like?

The latter, unfortunately. Given that this applies to the likes of the 3DS boxart artwork, I guess that could have been the only way to really apply the effect.

Well, at the very least, Sega is getting off their butts and promoting their games. (although they always promote the M&S franchise - so a bit of a mute point).

I downloaded the card thingie...although I currently don't have any play coins... @_@

Just shake dat 3DS and get your ten-a-day.

Got my first duplicate today, but only one. Now up to 44/73. Seems you can claim Nintendo Zone cards once daily.

Bump/double post to nail down a few more details;

-Up to 48/73. Out of three successful Nintendo Zone updates, only two cards have been repeats (one card on two separate occasions). This is officially a better result than any collector thing I've done before ever.

-I can confirm that Nintendo Zone updates are daily...on the weekdays. There aren't any rotations at all on the weekend, so if you've got everything during the week, there's no point doing anything on Saturday or Sunday.

-The cards have spoilers for the bonus episodes (aka post-story content). Isn't that kinda bad to spoil stuff like that in an app you don't need the game itself for? :/

-Yeah, the NZ batches are random with the *s and **s. Haven't got anything higher yet...thank goodness, because I already have all the ones that you can buy!

So...the cards you get from Nintendo Zone update in other parts of the world? I've tried to get some card around here but, it only says to me "there's no cards to get" or something like that...

Uh, I don't precisely know the mechanics of other countries, but it should have done given it did for my country. I mean, it wouldn't be fair if the UK has these regular updates and the rest of Europe who had it were stuck with updating every other day or something.

...Then again, we are the Olympic hosts and Sega favourite, plus a lot of EU branches are going through turmoil right about now...

Er, yeah, another little update.

-53/73, definitely daily on weekdays for Brits, unknown for other EU locations.

-The last non-final unlock is NOT unlocked at 60 cards like I thought, just 50. Makes sense in hindsight.

-Got a better grasp of the themes for *s and **s now;

* - 1-6 are panned out Wii event shots, 7-16 are Wii minigame shots/general 3DS event shots, and 17-20 are 3DS story mode shots (with spoilerific Bowser Jr shot too).

** - 21-30 are more specific Wii event shots, 31-40 are specific 3DS event shots.

-From the looks of it, Charmy and Cream won't be present at all in this, unless there's a shot of Charmy judging the discus I haven't got yet.

This is kinda weird, once again going into that "only one updating" phase. Thought I'd done with in February. Anyway, today I'll be starting with the references, but a small note before that.

-For ** Wii, there seems to be a ratio between regular and dream events. Not sure on the preciseness, but the ratio has at least 4 dream events (ie 27-30).

Right, now on with the references;

- No. 2 is called Horse Whisperer (it's a shot of the Equestrian event). The Horse Whisperer is a pretty common term, being the name of a book, a film, and a nickname for some horse trainers.

-No. 5 is called Sun and Sand (it's a shot of the Beach Volleyball event). A beach is often referred to as "sun, sea and sand", but since there's no water in the event the sea is omitted.

-No. 22 is called Knights at Work (it's a shot of the Individual Epee event). The thing to note is the competitor choice; Sonic and Blaze. Not only were they both knights in Sonic and the Black Knight, Blaze's weapon of choice was a rapier, which Sonic could use as well.

-No. 28 is called Disc Riders (it's a shot of the Dream Discus event). It could be a general reference to the fact they're riding on discs (like with series called Dino Riders, where they rode on dinosaurs), but given the reference in-game with Jet's rival challenge, it's also likely a nod to Sonic Riders.

-No. 32 is called Pretty and Pink (it's a shot of Amy doing the Rhythmic Ribbon event). Pretty in Pink is not only a film, but a phrase that has enter relatively common use.

-No. 33 is called Last Eggman (it's a shot of Eggman in goal in the 3DS Football mini-event). Likely a reference to the phrase "Last man standing".

-No. 34 is called the Heavy Weights (it's a shot of Vector and DK in the boxing event). Heavyweight would likely be their weight category.

-No. 35 is called Yoshi's Floor-less routine (it's a shot of Yoshi doing the floor gymnastics event). That's just a terrible pun.

-No. 64 is called Got Silver (it's a shot of the CGI opening). While they do indeed get Silver, I just realised the visual pun in the fact that the recipients are DK...and Silver.

This is not an extensive list, this is just what I have so far.

-Also in No. 22, Sonic and Blaze act as a frame for Espio, who is practically the focal point of the shot. And still no sign of Cream or Charmy, or any of the rivals for that matter.

Edit: Orbot and Cubot, however, HAVE shown up. They're on No. 8, since it's a shot of their minigame.

Edit day 2: Really not worth making a new day, so editing this one.

-58/73 cards got!

-The duplicate max limit appears to be x99. Oh dear..

-I swear having more Vectors is influencing the card choice, this is the third day in a row that I've got a new card with Espio on (with his back towards the camera). Still no sign of any other Sonic NPCs. There's even two screenshots of Beach Volleyball, and both use Lakitu.

-The dream selection isn't 27-30, it's 28-30.

Edit day 8: I'm still going, just updating less frequently. Some notes;

-Up to 65/73!

-You can't cheat by getting a second 3DS. The cards are randomised before they're distributed, so everyone should get the same ones on a day.

-Card No. 11 is called Row row row your boat (it's a shot of--WHAT DO YOU THINK IT IS). Row row row your boat is a traditional children's song.

-I have 36 Vector cards because I'm trying to get to the max limit. Derp.

Edited by VEDJ-F

• 2 weeks later...
-53/73, definitely daily on weekdays for Brits, unknown for other EU locations.

In Spain happens exactly the same, so I guess it's the same for everywhere else.

Okay, that's cool to know.

Now up to 69/73. The end seems so close, but it could be a while yet!

Also Rogerregorroger's released his Mario and Sonic London 3DS parody. Probably my favourite so far due to how he recreates the scenarios, the Chaotix being badass and all the cameos from non-Olympic Mario and Sonic characters (Kylie Koopa! <3).

The only thing we really differ is the fact I liked playing as Bowser Jr for the post-story stuff, whereas he hated it enough to throw a 3DS at him and drop a piano on his head.

One last card progress update; got 73/73 today, so I'm officially complete with this thing, and only hours before the first official Olympic event too!

In case anyone doesn't believe me (which I doubt, because they don't care enough to doubt);

Z3QoB.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

THIS IS NOT OVER! BEARS!

Just had a glance at the Mario and Sonic Facebook page and lo - There's another method of getting stuff for the album. Use your 3DS to scan in a QR code. Unfortunately, the first one they have isn't working properly at the mo, but they're working on it.

How are you getting these? Do you have to go to a Nintendo Zone spot every day?

Unfortunately, unless the QR code thing also gives them out when they work, yes.

You could always Streetpass for them with someone else, but that requires them having the software and them going to said Nintendo Zone spots.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've found a Nintendo Zone spot near where I work; how many cards can you get each day?

I have 46 out of the 73 cards, so I need another 27... when do they stop being distributed?

There's five a day on weekdays, although whether you get four *s and one ** or three *s and two **s is random. They stop being distributed September 9th, which means that you can theoretically get more than enough by then.

However, since the initial "at least one unique card everyday" phase has passed, I can't guarantee that you won't get days where it's nothing but repeats.

I was about to go to bed, but eh.

As I said on my last status, Sega have secretly released a Mario and Sonic stationery piece on Swap Note/Letter Box to tie in with the Olympics. No idea how you initially get it, but it can be traded for. And it's JezMM who brought this to my attention because I never use the software myself. ^ ^;