Awoo.

Who's the most popular character now?

Durarara

I'm not actually sure, myself. I know there was a character popularity poll conducted in Japan, but that was back in 2006, so I don't know how accurate it'd be today.

Back then, it was basically (ish);

1. Sonic

2. Shadow

3. Tails

4. Knuckles

5. Amy

6. Chao

7. Dr Eggman

8. Metal Sonic

9. Chaos

10. Rouge

That said, I can see Sonic being the most popular as a fairly obvious guess, even now.

Obviously sonic, but to take it to the next level i'd say classic sonic (cough facebook

Edited by Jaouad

If that poll was conducted today, i bet Blaze would be on it.

As for the most popular character of all, yeah, that's obviously still Sonic.

Obviously sonic, but to take it to the next level i'd say classic sonic (cough facebook

Not representative.

Mainly late teens-adults voted in that poll. Naturally nostalgia will win.

In fact, I'd say most people who voted were the people who were concerned about the design change in the first place. People who don't give a damn probably didn't vote at all.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Princess Elise? Chris Thorndyke?

*Ducks to avoid projectiles*

Seriously though, it is difficult to tell - different polls in different subsections of the fan community will yield different results. It is all pretty subjective. I would guess that people are more likely to identify characters that most people find disagreeable (see above) rather than singular rankings of the most popular.

I quite like Shadow and would like him to be handled by the Colours scriptwriters in future games. There is still scope for depth within the character and his interactions with th others. Amy is seemingly unique with her almost pathological obsession and possessiveness, manifesting violently at times. Amy's well entertaining! I'd like to see how she could be written in the games.

Unfortunately I don't follow Archie much so popularity of their characters I can't really comment on, though I bet there are enough Sally fans out there to form their own republic.

It obviously isn't the guy who's name is on every title, nope not at all.

But seriously, it obviously Sonic, especially considering no one else has had barely enough screentime to count nowadays.

Don't ya think guys that mentioning Sonic [and Eggman] in this topic is stupid? I mean, OF COURSE he's the most popular character. I suppose Durarara wanted to know who is the most popular character AFTER Sonic.

If that's the case [which I believe is] then I think it's still Shadow. Then most likely Tails or Knuckles. Then Blaze, Metal Sonic, etc.

And here's a top of my favorite characters.

1. Sonic [of course]

2. Shadow

3. Metal Sonic

4. Blaze

5. Silver

6. Knuckles

7. Shade

8. E-123 Omega

9. Tikal and Chaos

10. Rouge

Something like that)..^_^

Don't ya think guys that mentioning Sonic [and Eggman] in this topic is stupid? I mean, OF COURSE he's the most popular character. I suppose Durarara wanted to know who is the most popular character AFTER Sonic.

I agree that Sonic is obviously the most popular character, but why are you mentioning Eggman specifically? I don't think he's particularly more popular than other characters.

I... don't know? Ughh... I guess we get a lot of classic Sonic, Tails and Knuckles merchandise over here, so maybe them? At least in terms of Europe... Not really sure how I'm supposed to know this. ^_^;

I agree that Sonic is obviously the most popular character, but why are you mentioning Eggman specifically? I don't think he's particularly more popular than other characters.

Dunno.. I just though Eggman is as popular as Sonic. Maybe that's not quite like that. But my main point was about Sonic, so screw Eggman xD.

Dunno.. I just though Eggman is as popular as Sonic. Maybe that's not quite like that. But my main point was about Sonic, so screw Eggman xD.

YOU DARE MOCK THE SEXINESS OF ROBOTNIK? BURN HERETIC.

Yeah in terms of popularity, I'm gonna say the doc is up there, maybe not quite the levels of Sonic or Shadow(Who STILL hold the top two spots apparently, if recent polls are anything to go by), but he's still has plenty of fans, and is almost always featured on any "Top Villains" countdown. Now all he needs is his own game where he kicks ass, and all will be perfect.

• Thumbs Up 8

Well Sonic's obviously the most popular but after him well.....

The Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition lists Shadow as the 25th most popular videogame character and Sonic as the 10th most popular, but then again it lists Ash Ketchum as the 37th most popular videogame character, stating he first appeared in Poke'mon Red/Blue so I'm not sure how accurate their poll was.

The 4Kids website also has a character ranker and while obviously its not entirely applicable seeing as its for Sonic X not the games, plus the obvious bias towards the younger crowd who are on the 4Kids website but its interesting to see there that the most popular character after Sonic is actually Knuckles, with Shadow coming third, but they have a Chaos Emerald as the 4th most popular character in the ranker so take the results with a grain of salt.

According to the results of the recent Sonic News Network "Ultimate Sonic Character Tournament", which you can take as accurately or as dismissively as you'd care to, Sonic the Hedgehog was a narrow winner of the most popular character. A close second was Shadow the Hedgehog, followed by a well-deserved third for Miles "Tails" Prower. Knuckles the Echidna came fourth and I've no idea about fifth place, as their layout of the results is mindblowingly incompetent (I don't wish to be mean, but... well, it is).

If you'd care to decypher the results for yourselves, then please enjoy this link. :)

If you'd care to decypher the results for yourselves, then please enjoy this link. :)

I've always hated tournament style brackets for these kinds of things. While the clear powerhouses (i.e. Sonic and Shadow) can make it to the end with little effort, the individual match-ups for 4th 5th 6th ect. usually relies heavily on the strength of schedule. Characters that deserve to go farther may find themselves knocked out very earlier due to running into an elite opponent.

As for the topic at hand, I don't think we'll see too many people willing to elevate any character above Sonic. With him out the way, the cast of Shadow, Eggy, Tails, Blaze and Knuckles (in no particular order) would most likely round out the top six. I think alot of the more casual fans will overlook their appreciation of Eggman. I've known a good few people who did not appreciate him fully as a character until his quirks were pushed into the limelight within recent titles. Tails and Knux still hold respectable fanbases that have withstood the test of time and Blaze has seemingly found herself a nice niche in the franchise. Her debut games on the DS could reach a very wide audience (who doesn't have a DS these days?) and she picked up a ton of fans as a result.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

I'd like it to be Knuckles, but whom I kid. Blue Blur and Black Angst out of competition in this fandom.

Yeah in terms of popularity, I'm gonna say the doc is up there, maybe not quite the levels of Sonic or Shadow(Who STILL hold the top two spots apparently, if recent polls are anything to go by), but he's still has plenty of fans, and is almost always featured on any "Top Villains" countdown. Now all he needs is his own game where he kicks ass, and all will be perfect.

"With the power of these emeralds, now I can build my Eggman Empire! THIS IS WHO I AM!1" ...Sorry, couldn't resist. (:

According to the results of the recent Sonic News Network "Ultimate Sonic Character Tournament", which you can take as accurately or as dismissively as you'd care to, Sonic the Hedgehog was a narrow winner of the most popular character. A close second was Shadow the Hedgehog, followed by a well-deserved third for Miles "Tails" Prower. Knuckles the Echidna came fourth and I've no idea about fifth place, as their layout of the results is mindblowingly incompetent (I don't wish to be mean, but... well, it is).

The same tournament which said Charmy was better than Vector and Espio? Please, I adore Charmy to pieces, he's approximately my second/third favourite character, but we all know that's just bullshit in the grand scheme that is the Sonic fandom.

It always depends on the age demographic of the people polled.

If you are polling little children (which the series was originally aimed towards) then soft fuzzy creatures will come out on top. Usually Sonic, Tails, Shadow or Silver/Blaze/Knuckles are the top picks. Maybe a robot or two like Metal Sonic because they are robots.

Teenagers tend to go towards the more "mature" rebellious characters - Shadow mainly. (Unfortunately we found out about this when Shadow got his own game a couple of years back when they held a poll.)

Older people, usually young adults and adults like most of us on this board tend to go for the characters that we grew up on - nostalgic characters such as Sonic and Dr. Eggman. Robotnik is heavily popular in this group due to his appeal to more mature audiences for being an adult and blurring moral lines between black and white.

Then you have the furries, and well...you can already guess what characters are popular among them.

• Thumbs Up 2

The G.U.N. Commander paired with Professor Gerald. Now you know the terrible, sexy truth.

• Thumbs Up 4

To me, it's:

1. Sonic

2. Eggman

3. Shadow

4. Metal Sonic

5. Metal Knuckles

6. Tails

7. Knuckles

8. Omochao

9. Blaze

10. Big

Metal Sonic can't be in the list if he's not with Metal Knuckles as they form the greatest robo pair ever.

I wanted to add Tails doll but he's not recognized as popular, more as feared then anything.

Blaze, to me, gets more respect then Rouge due to being... epic trough her actions, fighting skills, speach and Burn baby burn, disco inferno!

Omochao is a just *ajusts glasses* made of win.

As for Big... he'll always have a big place in my heart.

So that's it!

The G.U.N. Commander paired with Professor Gerald. Now you know the terrible, sexy truth.

Well why do you think the Commander holds such a strong grudge against Shadow? Being a living creature capable of ultimate destruction? Pfft, Shadow is the illigeimate love-child spawned from an affair between Professor Gerald and Black Doom.

The Commander can't look at Shadow without being reminded of that heart-breaking moment he peered through the window and saw them both together. :(

• Thumbs Up 4