Awoo.

Who's the most popular character now?

Durarara

On 6/20/2018 at 8:37 PM, Shadowlax said:

Not quoting you exactly but your quote. 

Shadow is definitely popular among dudes, and probably more popular than tails. I know some people are looking at it from a " fanfiction " angle, but...its a franchise for children. And shadow is a cool guy with powers, male kids often like the cool guy character, kids in general. So trying to divide up shadow's popularity and tails's for that matter who is certainly popular with girls, is really weird to me. 

Again not towards you in anyway, I just thought the post you quoted was really weird

What is the metric for this, what votes?

Who voted? 

How many people voted?

Ect ect ect, and its a youtube so like, whos fanbase voted? 

Because this, and your previous gendered statement about who likes who feels like a hell of an asspull. Along with being sexist. And just forgetting that children and teeens make up the bulk of the sonic fanbase. And a bunch of other things

Older male fans like Tails than younger male fans, since their more old fans than newbies, Tails is more popular. Shadow overall is more popular thanks to women being his main draw for his character and fandom works.

For instance on Smash boards there are far far more Tails and Knuckles fans request them to be a roster pick or a trophy assist than Shadow(who was added) back when the Smash Bros franchise kicked in. Now Shadow's been replaced by Knuckles. 

15 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

True that they're from the Classic era, but they never had the exposure Amy and the Chaotix had, especially when these characters actually made the jump to the modern era, with the Chaotix apparently being included in Heroes because of Iizuka himself.

In contrast, the only thing Mighty and Ray ever had before Mania were those posters in Generations, supossedly by suggestion of someone outside the Japanese developer staff (could be wrong on this last bit), which isn't exactly something that reflects a high degree of popularity outside of a niche group that requested them for years.

Eh, the way I see it, they wanted to do something for the Classic fans and making Mighty and Ray playable again was the easiest way to do that from both a design and a [cult?] popularity standpoint.

Now sure, they could've just not bothered and either left Mania the way it is or just pick the Chaotix as the new playable characters, but then we'd have to contend with the facts that Vector, Espio, and Charmy are effectively recurring Modern characters and are now considered a near habitual team of three. Which would've been an easy way out, to be fair, as I'm sure a good amount of people would've been satisfied with that.

No, what really confuses me is the apparent fact that Metal Sonic(literally just a darker robot version of Sonic and already a boss in the base game) is seemingly a secret third character instead of Classic Amy, who could've been implemented as a simplified version of her Advance style(s) of play for more skill-based play.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/23/2018 at 12:19 AM, VEDJ-F said:

Last I checked, AAUK wasn't Japanese, so unless he's been fooling us this entire time it was indeed someone outside the Japanese staff who put forward the reference suggestion. 

I mean, at least it's one of the obscure reference suggestions that Sonic Team gave the okay to as opposed to most of them. 

Appreciated @VEDJ-F, and no I'm not Japanese to confirm. But I've given it up at this point. No one in the general community remembers what I did anymore beyond vague snippets of info as I am...well...extremely forgettable. Which is fine. It was a while back now. 

I've only watched small bits of the Mania stuff as I'm not really into it, my main delight has been that it's helped elevate fans into proper positions of importance. (Thus proving me right in the end, thanks SOA/E. 😋)   Giving people like Tyson and Kieran and Christian the proper praise, respect and opportunity they deserve. I have seen the poster made its way in to #4 though, which made me smile.

Sonic Wrecks always used, for the most parts, the sprites designed by Rittz. Rittz... was Tyson Hesse. So a decade ago I was putting something of his in a creative Sonic work of mine. Now he's put something of mine in a creative work of his. He wont know that at all as he hasn't a clue who I am. (Svend introduced us at SOS 2016 and it was pretty much a mutual case of looking at each other blankly and wondering who the other was.)  But it has beautifully brought to a close a circle of creativity.

Enjoy the rest of Sonic's birthday.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Older male fans like Tails than younger male fans, since their more old fans than newbies, Tails is more popular. Shadow overall is more popular thanks to women being his main draw for his character and fandom works.

For instance on Smash boards there are far far more Tails and Knuckles fans request them to be a roster pick or a trophy assist than Shadow(who was added) back when the Smash Bros franchise kicked in. Now Shadow's been replaced by Knuckles. 

Smash borards isn't representative of anything more than smash boards in smash boards. I've seen more requests for now for shadow on twitter, which is way more Representative of the general populous rather than just a enthusiast board ( which I havent bothered to even check or verify your information so i'm just going of what you are saying ) , not to mention just seeing high " what if shadow is in smash " requests now in a lot of other places. 

Also again, unless you have numbers for those fans, you are gonna need citations, along with your weird assumption that only women like shadow, for a number of reasons.  One in particular, there are a lot of guys who like shadow because they think he's cool, and there are a lot of girls who like shadow because he thinks he's cool. You are making these weird kinda sexist assumptions that ' girls only like him because fanfiction " which not only like suggests or rather removes the idea that a girl could just like shadow. Tries to enforce why people should like this character based on limited information.

So basically cite your sources or stop pls thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I had to remove some posts because that whole tangent was going to some obviously inappropriate places that also, frankly, make no sense anyway. It's ludicrous--on SO many levels--to claim that how much fanart a character gets is proof for or against them being popular, but the breaking point here was specifically pointing to NSFW-focused image sites. Even if that was a good point (it was not!) this ain't the place for that. C'mon.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

Well, it's my opinion. Feel free to disagree, but it's obvious Shadow isn't as popular as he used to be, not to nostalgia fans who moved on to other characters like Tails or Knuckles.

Isn't it funny that the Sonic Channel poll came out days later and proved that Shadow still mops the floor with everyone but Sonic in the place where his archetype is popular. 

I'd imagine the same holds for the tween/teen boy demographic because I doubt their tastes have changed. 

On 6/23/2018 at 1:14 AM, Cuz said:

Hearing Mighty referenced separately from the rest of the Chaotix will never stop sounding so alien to me.  He'll always be the missing fifth member in my book. xD

The Chaotix have three members, there isn't even a missing fourth, let alone fifth. 

46 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Isn't it funny that the Sonic Channel poll came out days later and proved that Shadow still mops the floor with everyone but Sonic in the place where his archetype is popular. 

What about the side where it isn't?

Addressed in the very next sentence. I don't think Mania has done much to change character standings, so the older crowd would have the same order as they did before. 

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

Addressed in the very next sentence. I don't think Mania has done much to change character standings, so the older crowd would have the same order as they did before. 

Oh, okay. Thought you were talking about Murica.

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

That's a weird statement, shadows archetype is extremely popular in the west and shows up in western media frequently and shadow himself is still an extremely popular character himself in the west.

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I'd imagine the same holds for the tween/teen boy demographic because I doubt their tastes have changed. 

The Chaotix have three members, there isn't even a missing fourth, let alone fifth. 

Arguing semantics are we? what was the polls target audience gender wise, and how was it considered based on the audience both of the old and new games. How many casual fans vote compared to sonic diehards?

You can't say it's a general outcome unless statistically it's broken down and analyze from all sides, for all we know only fangirls voted on the poll. 

I doubt if this was a western poll in a objective video game popularity contest where you could vote Sonic characters, Shadow would be close to second.

33 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

You can't say it's a general outcome unless statistically it's broken down and analyze from all sides, for all we know only fangirls voted on the poll. 

Isn't that basically the case with any poll, though?

19 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Isn't that basically the case with any poll, though?

In some cases, we have to see what percentage of demographic audiences vote before making judgements on a clear indication on who's popular based on which sort of people the votes are based on. in Japan, I see alot of Sonadow in the Sonic fanbase over there as much as I see kids, so I can assume Sonic characters maybe belong to children or women. Alot of Sonic fans can be figured out from a gender and age standpoint by posts on 2chn and the amount of fanart the post on pixiv about the Sonic franchise, for example Sonic is drawn equally favorably by guys and chicks with him being a popular pairing for Amy and Shadow and Tails, Shadow has a strong fangirl following from female artists compared to male Sonic artists that draw alot with Sonic and Tails, and Tails is drawn alot by Men due to them loving Rouge or Amy with him but barely any women draw him over Shadow or Sonic the most.

23 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Personally, I don't ever want to see Mighty being associated in any way or shape with the Chaotix. Being in Mania is way more than what a couple of discount versions of Tails and Knuckles ever deserved, and would hate to see them being shoehorned into the Chaotix team.

That's like the one thing the Mania team seem to be completely prohibited from doing in any shape or form. Whereas everything else is game, the Chaotix are kept modern. Even between Mighty and Knuckles, the only reference to Chaotix was a nod in the non-canon trailer meant to acknowledge that they had worked together in the franchise history. The game itself only acknowledges SegaSonic the Hedgehog thanks to how Encore mode is set up. 

And the reverse (aka in Modern)? Not gonna happen. The Chaotix have been established as the trio of misfit detectives for 15 years. In the last eight years, their team has been doubled down on arguably more than in anything after Heroes up to 2010. Moreover, it's a dynamic Sonic Team likes; ex-writer Maekawa enjoyed writing it (even if he wrote it quite different to how it is nowadays), and it seems evident to me that Iizuka's keen on it too. They wouldn't throw that dynamic away to insert someone who has never been established within the updated setting. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2018 at 11:58 AM, Shadowlax said:

Smash borards isn't representative of anything more than smash boards in smash boards. I've seen more requests for now for shadow on twitter, which is way more Representative of the general populous rather than just a enthusiast board ( which I havent bothered to even check or verify your information so i'm just going of what you are saying ) , not to mention just seeing high " what if shadow is in smash " requests now in a lot of other places. 

Also again, unless you have numbers for those fans, you are gonna need citations, along with your weird assumption that only women like shadow, for a number of reasons.  One in particular, there are a lot of guys who like shadow because they think he's cool, and there are a lot of girls who like shadow because he thinks he's cool. You are making these weird kinda sexist assumptions that ' girls only like him because fanfiction " which not only like suggests or rather removes the idea that a girl could just like shadow. Tries to enforce why people should like this character based on limited information.

So basically cite your sources or stop pls thanks

Not to mean to bump but tails being more popular as a classic over Shadow has been proven on multiple neogaf and sonic retro discussions. Shadow aims towards fangirls and modern character fans, but shadow has less a male fandom in fan art than Sonic and tails do.

Questions:

Where exactly does Silver and, while we're at it, each Zeti fall?

Are there more examples of regional distinctions of characters' popularity?

14 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Questions:

Where exactly does Silver and, while we're at it, each Zeti fall?

Are there more examples of regional distinctions of characters' popularity?

Silver is definitely behind the classic four, Blaze and Shadow. If anything I don't know if Silver is even popular with male sonic fans, just like Shadow is less popular or not as huge with the male fandom as the the triple threat. In the new smash bros, it should be all clear if Shadow is famous as Sonic Channel pegs him as to be a echo fighter in the game asince Knuckles took his assist trophy spot.