Awoo.

Who's the most popular character now?

Durarara

Because she's dominating over the comic far, far, FAR too much. I realise that it can't be Sonic: The Games: The Comic, but there's more than two major Freedom Fighters, goddamnit!

Well, that and she's about as interesting to me as cardboard...with the flavour drained out of it.

So what is wrong with Sally anyways? I know Archie fairly well due to it's excellent Robotnik Eggman, but I never understood why Sally was hated so much there.

If it's due to soap opera tendencies, I think that goes for almost eveyrone in the comic.

Sally (like the bulk of the Archie cast) comes across as a glorified fan-character to many game fans, who would rather read a comic about the actual game characters than these remnants of SatAM. To many, like myself, she's on par with Sonic X's Chris Thorndyke as an unwanted and unneeded vacuum of story-focus that pulls the plot away from Sonic, Eggman, and the other game characters and on to her personal drama.

Some will call me out on having a double standard, since I liked the OVA's non-game characters (Sera, President, Old Man), but I'll point out that they differed by not hogging all the screentime, and were treated appropriately as secondary characters to the primary game cast. The same cannot be said of Sally (And many other Archie characters to boot), who's gotten nearly as much focus as Sonic himself, and far more than Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, and many others.

Thus the problem is less with Sally herself, and more the idea that she gets an undue amount of story focus for being an adaptation-expansion character compared to her game-canon counterparts.

Oh. I guess some people hate her for pairing reasons, but I couldn't care less about that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I haven't red much Archie so i cant say anything about that, but at least going by Sally's SatAM version, i'd say one reason to hate her is due to being so damn "perfect" personalitywise, not having even some minor personality flaw. Of course, this was a problem with a hell of a lot of female characters in kids cartoons back in those days.

I haven't red much Archie so i cant say anything about that, but at least going by Sally's SatAM version, i'd say one reason to hate her is due to being so damn "perfect" personalitywise, not having even some minor personality flaw. Of course, this was a problem with a hell of a lot of female characters in kids cartoons back in those days.

Yeah, because back in the 90's, giving a female character a flaw or weakness is considered sexist. :rolleyes:

I blame the feminist movement.

Sally (like the bulk of the Archie cast) comes across as a glorified fan-character to many game fans, who would rather read a comic about the actual game characters than these remnants of SatAM. To many, like myself, she's on par with Sonic X's Chris Thorndyke as an unwanted and unneeded vacuum of story-focus that pulls the plot away from Sonic, Eggman, and the other game characters and on to her personal drama.

Some will call me out on having a double standard, since I liked the OVA's non-game characters (Sera, President, Old Man), but I'll point out that they differed by not hogging all the screentime, and were treated appropriately as secondary characters to the primary game cast. The same cannot be said of Sally (And many other Archie characters to boot), who's gotten nearly as much focus as Sonic himself, and far more than Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, and many others.

Thus the problem is less with Sally herself, and more the idea that she gets an undue amount of story focus for being an adaptation-expansion character compared to her game-canon counterparts.

Oh. I guess some people hate her for pairing reasons, but I couldn't care less about that.

This is pretty much the entire reason that the Sega Forums hate Sally.

But yeah it was acceptable back in the day before Sonic had a bigger cast, and even then Tails didn't get nowhere near as much screentime as Sally in SATAM, which pissed me off.

The same problem applies now to the comics, which seem to revolve more around Sally's love life than Sonic's adventures.

I'm not a huge fan of Sally or most of the Archie/SatAM original characters either, but there's really not much that could've been done about that. When the comics began, there really weren't enough game characters to sustain much of a story without including a few extras made from whole cloth, and by the time the games did have enough characters, Sally and the rest of the SatAM immigrants were already well entrenched in the comics' setting as main characters. I don't think it'd be particularly fair to shove the comics' non-game characters out of the spotlight just because there were "purer" characters who could take their place.

...that's not to say that Sally isn't a bit of a spotlight hog, though. It was pretty stupid that SatAM and early Archie lavished so much attention on Sally while Tails barely got to do anything.

EDIT: Dammit. Isn't this, like, the second time in a row, Shadic? TYPE SLOWER

Edited by Octarine

I'm not a huge fan of Sally or most of the Archie/SatAM original characters either, but there's really not much that could've been done about that. When the comics began, there really weren't enough game characters to sustain much of a story without including a few extras made from whole cloth, and by the time the games did have enough characters, Sally and the rest of the SatAM immigrants were already well entrenched in the comics' setting as main characters. I don't think it'd be particularly fair to shove the comics' non-game characters out of the spotlight just because there were "purer" characters who could take their place.

...that's not to say that Sally isn't a bit of a spotlight hog, though. It was pretty stupid that SatAM and early Archie lavished so much attention on Sally while Tails barely got to do anything.

EDIT: Dammit. Isn't this, like, the second time in a row, Shadic? TYPE SLOWER

maybe you should type faster.

I don't hate the SATAM cast for taking roles from the game cast, I hate them because they get so much screentime that the game cast don't even get to do anything, and even then I find Antoine, and Bunnie far more interesting than Sally. I mean once the cast from the games got more definitive roles, I hoped that the comic would balance it out giving focus to as many of them as possible, but instead the game cast get so much less screentime, they may as well not even be there.

I blame the feminist movement.

Wooo, easy there partner. Im sure it's only a small percentage of feminists (the ones that are nutty) that would ever consider it a good thing to portray women as uber-angels that are incapable of human vices. Feminism has primarily been a force for good, doing neat things like making sure you and your people have the right to vote and stuff. ;)

Oh wait, this is not a forum for politics, is it? Guess i'll legitimize this post by saying something Sonic related...

Tails is fat. Yup.

Wooo, easy there partner. Im sure it's only a small percentage of feminists (the ones that are nutty) that would ever consider it a good thing to portray women as uber-angels that are incapable of human vices. Feminism has primarily been a force for good, doing neat things like making sure you and your people have the right to vote and stuff. ;)

Oh wait, this is not a forum for politics, is it? Guess i'll legitimize this post by saying something Sonic related...

Tails is fat. Yup.

I was referring to the feminist movement back in the 90's, not the the movement from the 1920's that allowed women to vote.

I was also joking, but I guess my humor is hard to translate over the Internet. :P

Edited by DragonSoul

I also feel it wouldn't be fair to put aside the comic's old cast aside in order to focus more on the newer game characters. By the time Sonic Adventure started the tradition of introducing loads of new characters every new game, the comic books had already solidified it's main cast. The particular on-going piece of fiction that is the Archie Sonic comic's has always been primarily about Sonic, the freedom fighters and Robotnik, so i don't think there is anything wrong with continuing with that.

Besides, the game characters always have the games to appear in. If characters like Sally or Bunnie started to take a backseat to characters like Amy or Blaze in the comics on the other hand, they wouldn't have anywhere else to appear and be important.

Edited by batson

I also feel it wouldn't be fair to put aside the comic's old cast aside in order to focus more on the newer game characters. By the time Sonic Adventure started the tradition of introducing loads of new characters every new game, the comic books had already solidified it's main cast. The particular on-going piece of fiction that is the Archie Sonic comic's has always been primarily about Sonic, the freedom fighters and Robotnik, so i don't think there is anything wrong with continuing with that.

Besides, the game characters always have the games to appear in. If characters like Sally or Bunnie started to take a backseat to characters like Amy or Blaze in the comics on the other hand, they wouldn't have anywhere else to appear and be important.

By the time Sonic Adventure started the tradition of introducing loads of new characters every new game

I don't really agree that Sonic Adventure introduced that element when almost every major Sonic game before has done the same.

I don't really agree that Sonic Adventure introduced that element when almost every major Sonic game before has done the same.

Sonic 1: Sonic & Eggman

Sonic 2: Tails

Sonic CD: Amy & Metal Sonic

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Knuckles

Holy shit you're right.

Sonic 1: Sonic & Eggman

Sonic 2: Tails

Sonic CD: Amy & Metal Sonic

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Knuckles

Holy shit you're right.

Adventure: Gamma, Big, Tikal, Chaos

Adventure 2: Rouge, Shadow, Maria, Prof. Gerald, the President

Not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, but Adventure definitely ramped things up in the new characters department. Even if you ignore Tikal and Chaos, it was the first game to introduce two new playable characters at once.

I'd say since the series is named after Sonic, he is still the most popular but I'd say that Shadow is catching up with him

I would say Shadow is still pretty popular among kids but his popularity with Sonic fans has waned over the last couple of years due to a lack of a role in non-spinoff games.

I would say Shadow is still pretty popular among kids but his popularity with Sonic fans has waned over the last couple of years due to a lack of a role in non-spinoff games.

And yet he still made it on that top 50 list a few months back.

And yet he still made it on that top 50 list a few months back.

Really? What list, and what place was he in?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Really? What list, and what place was he in?

He was #25 and Sonic was #10 in the 2011 Guinness World Records Gamer Edition.

I actually posted the list myself way back in the 'Sonic(not) on the Front cover of Guinness World Records Gamer Edition 2011.'

Needless to say, the list itself is crap.

He was #25 and Sonic was #10 in the 2011 Guinness World Records Gamer Edition.

I actually posted the list myself way back in the 'Sonic(not) on the Front cover of Guinness World Records Gamer Edition 2011.'

Needless to say, the list itself is crap.

While it is indeed crap, it does show that Shadow still stands pretty high in the fanbase.

While it is indeed crap, it does show that Shadow still stands pretty high in the fanbase.

It doesn't represent the fanbase though.

It was poll answering, "Who's your all-time favourite video game character?" on their website.

And there were 13,000 votes.

I'd say it still shows that he gets a fair amount of positive attention tho.

As for what it represents, well it goes without saying that you can't represent any group on and off the internet regarding the Sonic series.