Awoo.

What will Sonic Generations Play Like?

EXshad

In terms of QTE, if we have to have them. I actually preferred the ones from Unleashed. Colours was simply 'press A over and over and over', there was NO challenge, we were OUTSTANDING and AMAZING just for mashing A. At least in Unleashed there was a challenge, it forced us to think on out feet. In Unleashed, if I ever failed a QTE it was because I didn't act quick enough but in Colours it was just because I couldn't be bothered.

Edited by ENVY16
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hope there are no QTE's. They are just pointless. Overall, I hopes it's more like Colours than Unleashed. If it's like Colours with tweaked controls, more momentum based platforming, and more in depth 3D areas, I will be pleased.

Like I said, I don't really expect there to be anything different gameplay-wise between the two, besides aesthetics. Classic Sonic's running would probably be the wheel of feet, and the boost animation would be the peelout (or a Spindash thing), and sliding would be changed to rolling.

The most I could see them changing is that modern Sonic may have 3D Unleashed style stages while classic Sonic has 2.5D Unleashed style stages.

I do not want to see Classic Sonic/Modern Sonic having variations in gameplay.

To certain fans it would imply that a particular version of Sonic is better. They are the same character and should have the same moveset.

If you choose "Classic Mode" all the models are just Classic models. If you choose "Modern Mode" all the characters are just palette swapped for the modern models.

Render the CGI with everything the same, but with a really high-poly, high-res in-game model that are interchangeable. Same for the in-game cutscenes.

If you choose "Classic Mode" all the models are just Classic models. If you choose "Modern Mode" all the characters are just palette swapped for the modern models.

Render the CGI with everything the same, but with a really high-poly, high-res in-game model that are interchangeable. Same for the in-game cutscenes.

That would be such a complete and utter waste of the concept.

I'll echo the thoughts of most here and say that I believe that Generations will play like Unleashed/Colours, only with more platforming and different movesets to accomodate C.Sonic into the levels.

However, in my own little dream world, it will play differently. M.Sonic will play like Unleashed/Colours, only he'll have more 3D platforming to suit the Genesis levels as well as bigger focus on momentum, if only by inventive use of the boost. C.Sonic will play Genesis-style, going through all the stages 2D with the same dedication to physics, speed and platforming seen in the Genesis games. C.Sonic in a Genesis-style Speed Highway would excite me just as much M.Sonic giving Green Hill an Unleashed/Colours twist. Sega always seems to have alternate play-styles when it comes to recent Anniversary games (SA1, Sonic 06), and having two refined and proven Sonic styles would be the perfect solution if they really needed to implement them.

Of course, that is very unlikely, but it never hurts to dream. :P

Edited by Jaymeister

That would be such a complete and utter waste of the concept.

OK maybe I was taking it to extreme lengths, but I don't see why either version of Sonic has a different moveset. There is no reason why classic Sonic can't boost and there is no reason why Modern Sonic can't roll. It just seems pointless and arbitrary to seperate them.

Well, now we know! Classic Sonic is classic all the way, and Modern Sonic is like Unleashed HD. Thank God M.Sonic isn't like Colours/Unleashed Wii.

Well, now we know! Classic Sonic is classic all the way, and Modern Sonic is like Unleashed HD. Thank God M.Sonic isn't like Colours/Unleashed Wii.

Right, Thank God we get a mega-linear roller coaster you have little control over, enemies that pose little threat, "cinematic" events that end up little more than boring memorization, and everybody's favorite: Quick-Time Events!

How "fun"!

• Bad Quality Post 1

Right, Thank God we get a mega-linear roller coaster you have little control over, enemies that pose little threat, "cinematic" events that end up little more than boring memorization, and everybody's favorite: Quick-Time Events!

How "fun"!

Because you can tell all of that from the 15 seconds of footage right? <_<

Its Sonic 4 all over again.

Because you can tell all of that from the 15 seconds of footage right? <_<

Its Sonic 4 all over again.

Sonic 4 was pretty damn terrible, so I don't know what point you were trying to make. I'm going off the trailer, the preview, and the recent video interview showing the gameplay is Unleashed 2.0

How "fun"!

It's a Marmite affair, isn't it? I don't think the gameplay from Unleashed way bad at all. Some of the earlier stages were clearly hold X to win, but I loved them. And by the end of the game the layouts were fantastic. The memorisation issues needs to be tackled, but otherwise it's great.

I actually like the dichotomy of the 2 gameplay styles. First off, we got classic Sonic, which (like on the Genesis) is focused on simply using the D-pad and one button for all his moves. However, unlike the classic games, his peak speed seems MUCH faster, and his gameplay more fluent. Also, more than likely, he'll have gimmicks modern Sonic won't have, perhaps such as elemental shields and the like?

However, Modern Sonic looks pretty much like an Unleashed clone, but with hopefully more 3D, more open 3D environments (please SEGA, please have the future levels just be a bit more open...), and better mapped controls. He also has a form of the spin-roll, it seems. Thus, this Sonic, rather than having 2D, seems to have 2.5/3D gameplay, and will more than likely take advantage of the entire controller, with the exception of the D-pad. His gameplay is based less on momentum and more on quick-reflexes. The more I think about it, the more ingenious this is, it truly is the best of...well, everything pretty much.

They just have to make sure that the 3D segments are truly 3D, and not some pseudo-2.5 with a 3D camera angle. But I believe it was so linear only because it's the first level, a training stage of sorts. Like SOnic Unleashed, I'm sure the levels will open up throughout the game, although I hope we get a lot more of them this time around.

We just gotta wait and see what happens, but I'm stoked right now. Might as well turn this topic into "What do you think of how Sonic Generations plays?"

G4TV preview again.

This meter can be refilled by knocking out enemies and performing tricks in mid-air -- done simply by moving the two analog sticks in different directions -- after hitting a rainbow-colored jump ramp.

Rainbowramp.png

In Colours and Unleashed these rainbow ramps (yellow in Unleashed's case) sent you into the air to do a QTEs. Looks like this game will do away with them for the most part at least and treat you to tricking instead. You see in the gameplay footage he hits the ramp, does no tricks and continues along fine. Hopefully this continues throughout the game and you're never punished with death for not tricking.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ Well, even then, "punished with death for not doing QTE's" was only in the later stages. But yeah, I like the idea of doing tricks instead of QTE's, and it completely blows Joystiq's complaints away. They aren't QTE's, they're tricks, and they're completely optional. Most people probably won't even know that tricking actually exists.

Also, I like that its harder to gain boost. In other words, the boost isn't as important of a focus. I definitely appreciate that quite a bit. ^^

^ Well, even then, "punished with death for not doing QTE's" was only in the later stages. But yeah, I like the idea of doing tricks instead of QTE's, and it completely blows Joystiq's complaints away. They aren't QTE's, they're tricks, and they're completely optional. Most people probably won't even know that tricking actually exists.

Also, I like that its harder to gain boost. In other words, the boost isn't as important of a focus. I definitely appreciate that quite a bit. ^^

How is it harder to gain a boost? There are 3 ways to fill the gauge now, aren't there?

Unless you need to be running to use the boost...?

How is it harder to gain a boost? There are 3 ways to fill the gauge now, aren't there?

Unless you need to be running to use the boost...?

It seems that Rings do not increase the boost gauge. Defeating enemies and doing tricks does, which also makes it a littler rarer. In Unleashed/Colors, ESPECIALLY Unleashed, rings were very numerous and when boosting, it seems like the rings were practically attracted to you.

That's because the rings were attracted to you when you boosted.

And I'm certain I've seen Sonic gain more boost energy when collecting rings in that interview video.

I've seen a couple articles that indicate boost gauge is increased by defeating enemies and by tricks. Nothing says rings, so its possible that when he gets a ring in that video he simultaneously had received something from a related thing (such as recently defeating the enemy, and the "energy" for the boost gauge flies to Sonic after defeating it, so there's a slight delay before the gauge is updated).

I've seen a couple articles that indicate boost gauge is increased by defeating enemies and by tricks. Nothing says rings, so its possible that when he gets a ring in that video he simultaneously had received something from a related thing (such as recently defeating the enemy, and the "energy" for the boost gauge flies to Sonic after defeating it, so there's a slight delay before the gauge is updated).

In the last segment of the interview video, when Sonic's grinding on rails in the cavern, the boost gauge clearly fills up every time he picks up rings. Aside from the giant fish, no enemies appear anywhere in that segment.

True, true, but it was still annoying. Separating paths via tricks is something that I don't think has been touched since Advance 2, and "trick or die" areas will probably be more forgiving than "ABXXYABABARRRRLXYABALXAYRLLLLAB or die" areas simply by default. It's not harder to gain the boost though, apart from the reduced number of rings. Unleashed pretty insane on that front...

On the subject of rings, I wonder if Modern Sonic will lose all of his rings when hit or if he'll only drop a few like in Unleashed. I'm not sure... following Unleashed's example makes some sense, since the boost gauge seems to be even easier to fill in Generations and picking up dropped rings probably won't be an option a lot of the time, but I'm not sure if having each Sonic drop rings differently would be wise. Hm.

Yeah, the boost gauge seems never-ending... maybe they filled it up more for the trailer to look flashy?

But there are no where as many rings in the level as there where in unleashed's levels, so this may not be a problem.