Awoo.

What will Sonic Generations Play Like?

EXshad

Yeah, of course. M.Sonic's gameplay is Unleashed 2 basically, with the only noteable changes thus far being the introduction of tricks (seemingly) instead of QTEs. Why's using rings a problem? There's clearly nowhere near the number that Unleashed had, so in later levels it probably will be must harder to keep the gauge full.

It's not just that the boost fills up by rings. They've forgotten bout all the "improvements" they made in colors. As seen in the trailer, the game is putting alot of emphasis on thrill and speed just by looking at how fast sonic is. The boost gauge doesn't empty at all. Sonic's speed was way more slow in sonic colors and it was more controllable that way. Seeing as sonic is back to unleashed's uncontrollable speed, the level design will surely be adjusted to it. Meaning lots of straight forward level design as joystiq preview described it. I mean it looks great and all, but you're basically just pressing the boost button with little input. If this weren't the case it would feel weird cuz you cannot combine that kind of speed with platforming. The controls feel lose anyway so platforming has never been the strongest point of the physics engine. And since C.sonic is allready taking 2d platforming it's unlikely that m.sonic is gonna have lots of 2d platforming.

For me personally the m.sonic bits are going to be vastly inferior to the c.sonic portions. Imo it's a waste, especially for a 20th aniversary game. After colors I thought they had learned and I expected that they would go all out on this one. Honestly I expected something more akin to adventure. I will always prefer a free roaming formula. They failed with sonic 06 and I hate how the formula is damaged by it.

I would have also loved 3d environments for classic sonic, but as the allmighty iizuka said: Classic fans only like 2d gmaes.

Another thing that I really dislike about unleashed and colors was how the homing attack worked as long an enemy was in sight. This was also superior in the adventure games. I am just saying that they could have went all out but they simply didn't and I wonder why..

Edited by Jaouad

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, I don't think it has but in the Iizuka video, the boost gauge appeared to already be full when the stage started. It doesn't look like it's something you have to work for this time (even if it wasn't much work), you're given a full meter from the first second.

Edited by ENVY16

For me personally the m.sonic bits are going to be vastly inferior to the c.sonic portions. Imo it's a waste, especially for a 20th aniversary game. After colors I thought they had learned and I expected that they would go all out on this one. Honestly I expected something more akin to adventure. I will always prefer a free roaming formula. They failed with sonic 06 and I hate how the formula is damaged by it.

I don't get this at all. All Colours was was Unleashed Wii with more 2D gameplay that was loaded with really, really dull platforming. I think it was a huge step back from Unleashed UD. I'm not going to lie, M.Sonic's version of GHZ is looking very "hold X to win", but it's the first level and you can see how it's a reactions test test than precision platforming and all that jazz. The player is making well timed jumps and such to take the more faster routes, and if all the Unleashed like trends continue there'll definitely be plenty of interaction from a stage or two in. Dragon Road, Jungle Joyride and Eggmanland (Sonic) were far more than just running all the time and I honestly expect to be seeing much more like that from this game. And what about stages like Cool Edge? Not much platforming going on there, but you really needed to hone your skills. It wasn't as easy as holding X there either.

BTW, agreed with you entirely on the bolded part.

It's not just that the boost fills up by rings. They've forgotten bout all the "improvements" they made in colors. As seen in the trailer, the game is putting alot of emphasis on thrill and speed just by looking at how fast sonic is. The boost gauge doesn't empty at all. Sonic's speed was way more slow in sonic colors and it was more controllable that way. Seeing as sonic is back to unleashed's uncontrollable speed, the level design will surely be adjusted to it. Meaning lots of straight forward level design as joystiq preview described it. I mean it looks great and all, but you're basically just pressing the boost button with little input. If this weren't the case it would feel weird cuz you cannot combine that kind of speed with platforming. The controls feel lose anyway so platforming has never been the strongest point of the physics engine. And since C.sonic is allready taking 2d platforming it's unlikely that m.sonic is gonna have lots of 2d platforming.

It seems pretty natural to me to place a heavy emphasis on Modern Sonic's speed as a way to differentiate him from Classic Sonic. Giving Modern Sonic a bunch of 2D platforming segments and limiting the boost like in Colours would edge in on Classic Sonic's niche too much and sort of defeat the purpose of including both in the game.

The only footage we have so far also happens to be from the game's first zone, where obviously the level design is going to be pretty simple. I'm not saying that there's nothing to worry about here, since I've been craving some decent 3D platforming for a while and I'll be disappointed if we don't get any, but I don't think it's going to turn out that badly.

Another thing that I really dislike about unleashed and colors was how the homing attack worked as long an enemy was in sight. This was also superior in the adventure games. I am just saying that they could have went all out but they simply didn't and I wonder why..

Also, I'm not really sure what this means. I haven't been paying very close attention, but the only difference I can think of between the Adventure-era homing attack and Unleashed's version was that the homing attack in Unleashed had a reticle to show you which enemy you were going to hit when you used it. Was there some other difference?

• Thumbs Up 1

Moving the analog sticks about (both of them?) to perform tricks reminds me very much of NiGHTS, when you held down the triggers and pushed the stick in a direction.

I wonder too, the preview said that M. Sonic has the Boost and homing attack right? Does he get his other moves too, ya know Stomping, Quick Step, and Drifting?

Also, I'm not really sure what this means. I haven't been paying very close attention, but the only difference I can think of between the Adventure-era homing attack and Unleashed's version was that the homing attack in Unleashed had a reticle to show you which enemy you were going to hit when you used it. Was there some other difference?

Unleashed HA was longer range and could also go upwards while the SA one couldn't. So basically the Unleashed one is a move of its own while the SA one is simply an extension of Sonic's jump. Still, the Colours and Unleashed Wii HA we the worst. Painfully long range, clunky and if was off screen you couldn't target it (see Aquarium Park 6 to learn why this is an issue).

I wonder too, the preview said that M. Sonic has the Boost and homing attack right? Does he get his other moves too, ya know Stomping, Quick Step, and Drifting?

Definitely. Unleashed gameplay would be dire without them.

Edited by Blue Blood

Maybe quick step and drifting appear only at certain segments, as they did in Sonic Colors?

As for stomp, I could go either way. I don't really use it in Unleashed unless it's necessary to push a special button or if I want to land a platform jump. As for Colors, I use it mainly during the final score segment to get the extra life from the numbers and underwater to get to the floor as fast as possible.

Unleashed HA was longer range and could also go upwards while the SA one couldn't. So basically the Unleashed one is a move of its own while the SA one is simply an extension of Sonic's jump. Still, the Colours and Unleashed Wii HA we the worst. Painfully long range, clunky and if was off screen you couldn't target it (see Aquarium Park 6 to learn why this is an issue).

Yeah that's wat I meant. Off screen enemies, no matter how close they are, cant be hit.

The long range was also rediculous. In planet wisp, That bit

Edited by Jaouad

Definitely. Unleashed gameplay would be dire without them.

Well the trailer shows he has the slide so you may be right.

Yeah that's wat I meant. Off screen enemies, no matter how close they are, cant be hit.

They can in Unleashed HD (and this too presumably) though. Just tested it.

Edited by Blue Blood

Hopefully the Quick-step and Drift sections won't be dumbed down like Colors, but rather work like in Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I tell you one thing, I never died from a missed homing attack in Colors, like I did countless times in the Adventure and Heroes titles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully the Quick-step and Drift sections won't be dumbed down like Colors, but rather work like in Unleashed.

Seeing as this is like Unleashed HD I expect we'll not be seeing any of the dumbing down that Colours brought along.

I tell you one thing, I never died from a missed homing attack in Colors, like I did countless times in the Adventure and Heroes titles.

That's the benefit of a reticule. You know whether you're going to hit or miss. It's also much more refined regardless.

Edited by Blue Blood

I think the homing attack in sonic adventure and heroes was more executed by feeling, and it worked. It was so well programmed that it was easily mastered even without the reticles. For me personally it feels as was even easier to choose which enemy I wanted to hit. Now you have all these reticules that show up everyhere and I hit the wrong object more often tbh.

Honestly the HA in adventure 2 was the most polished. It just felt right, though the sa1 HA wasn't bad either.

Sooooeeeeewwwwww....

'You guys think we'll be seeing Tails and Knux come back just for the Heroes level(s)?

Not gonna happen. If Tails and Knuckles are playable (THEY SHOULD BE), they'll be playable solo. Heroes levels will be remade into Unleashed/Classic style, as well, assuming they appear (and I don't see why not), and ultimately, they won't rely on the team mechanics to proceed through them. In fact, they'll be redesigned and re-laid out, just like GHZ.

By the looks of it, the Modern Sonic gameplay will play like Colours and Unleashed (as everyone has been saying). However, if you look at approximately 1:42 and 1:46 of the IGN Official Gameplay trailer (i.e the first trailer) you may notice that Sonic goes into a spin. I wonder if this means that they're actually incorporating some rolling into the game this time (which could make for some really interesting gameplay twists if done right) or if it's just a pointless aesthetic change like in Unleashed Wii.

Double post. Dunno what happened there o.O

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m

Looks like it'll now be much easier to see when and where you can wall-jump.

isthiswalljump.png

Either that or they're walls for Knuckles to climb. I need to not get my hopes up like that.

Well for me i'm just expecting the same game play like Unleashed and Colors. I mean I might expect something new but yeah mostly the modern stuff.