Awoo.

Sonic Generations: New Screenshots and Arts [Archive]

Woun

Yeah, that's an epic pic. It really showcases what we've all imagined a Chemical Plant remake to look like in 3D, especially with the Unleashed gameplay as a basis. Hell, it seriously looks like the whole franchise has come full circle in that one pic. I also like the pic of Modern Sonic sliding down the liquid, Lost World/Cannon Core style. Pretty epic throwback, Sonic Team ;)

Classic Chemical Plant's looking great, too. The speed tubes, moving blocks, and underwater segments are all back in full force, but I gotta say, I dig some of the changes. For example, not all the blocks come in groups of 4 now, and the underwater segments look totally redesigned. I dig it, and both Classic and Modern versions look like they're really playing up the factory motif of the level. I'm sold. I just wanna hear the music at this point.

Edited by EXshad

I'm really liking all the screens. Looks beautiful and fun.

My favourite pic is this one.

2132456569_full.jpg

Edited by PeanutButterDimond

The screens are great, and no more fear of linearity in 3d just in that picture there are three different paths.

Oh and it appears that the plant really starts self destroying, so thats must be the no thing in the level.

Why is it that these are all posted at 2:00 - 3:00 AM my time? D:

Full thoughts tomorrow, I guess. Looks awesome.

2132456561_full.jpg

Jesus Sonic sliding up waterfalls.

Edited by Marcellof

Wow the screen with M.Sonic sliding on the waterfall is amazing!Reminds me a bit of Eggmanland when the werehog slides!

Great screenshots. But I want trailer. Screenshots look great, but I'm not yet sure how much 3D platforming there will be.

Trailer please. This game look fantastic so far. Only think I'm worried is, is there enought 3D platforming?

Great screens. And because I don't care about neg rep....That is some ugly water M sonic is sliding on/through. Probably because IT IS a screenshot and not moving.

Great screens. And because I don't care about neg rep....That is some ugly water M sonic is sliding on/through. Probably because IT IS a screenshot and not moving.

I honestly don't even think it's water. This IS Chemical Plant Zone after all. There isn't any water in it and there never has been. It's all been this strangely coloured chemical substance.

The images are awesome and very sharp.

Man i love Chemical Plant. I hope the new trailer in August is from Chemical Plant with music.

The image M Sonic sliding looks beautiful though to tell you the truth i'd like Sonic to surf. :P

They'll probably release the trailer and have licensed a song from KMFDM or some other electronic industrial band.

Not that I would object to Up Uranus being played in a Sonic trailer.

Yeah, i know...still one man can dream.

I freaking love this

2132456569_full.jpg

It's sooo awesome!

This became my favorite in game pic.

Also i thought to make a quick video with some music.

Edited by frokenok3

Is this really water? I thought that blue stuff is toxic. oO

That's what I thought as well. Maybe it isn't toxic yet, considering the toxic stuff is blobbier and less consistent. Sonic's probably just taking a ride through Robotnik's Mega Mack processing tube.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope rolling is fixed

A preview on SEGA Bits by Aaron Webber indicates that it isn't sadly, though not for reasons of laziness or a lack of consideration, but because the process of bug testing everything and reworking the levels to accommodate the alteration would cause the game to be delayed for a long while. They are at least aware though, which shows promise for the next iteration of Classic Sonic gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

A preview on SEGA Bits by Aaron Webber indicates that it isn't sadly, though not for reasons of laziness or a lack of consideration, but because the process of bug testing everything and reworking the levels to accommodate the alteration would cause the game to be delayed for a long while. They are at least aware though, which shows promise for the next iteration of Classic Sonic gameplay.

Step 1 - Fix gameplay

Step 2 - Make the game

^That's how they should have done it instead.

• Thumbs Up 2

New Chemical Plant screens (I think): http://www.tssznews.com/2011/07/28/19-newclean-sonic-generations-chemical-plant-screenshots/

My personal favourite:

2132456569_full.jpg

I just want to take a minute to bitch about this image and how it's the perfect example of how the level design isn't good enough.

So we've got three parallel paths, though we can't tell just from the picture whether they're separated by invisible walls or not. I'd assume the former, but I'll consider both cases, because both are dumb. If there are invisible walls, then all this weaving and looping around each other is meaningless aside from looking nice. You made your choice earlier on, and all there is to do now is boost through and watch the pretty colors until you have to make another choice. If there aren't invisible walls, then trying to switch lanes is a death trap; you've got a 5% chance of success and a 95% chance of falling into the infinite void, worse if you're boosting (which you are, it's Unleashed Day style). The most sensible option is to sit in your lane, watch the pretty colors go by, and hope the guard rails actually keep you from flying off. Am I the only one who finds this to be unsatisfying?

To me, the solution seems obvious. First, if there are invisible walls separating the paths, get rid of them (you could keep the ones on the extreme left and right; the point is to put all the paths in the same box). Widen all the paths. Make the center (lowest) path as wide as the playable area (that is, up to those invisible walls on the extreme left and right). Some further tweaking might help, but the basic idea is there now; you can make meaningful, sensible choices in this area, by trying to jump from one path to another, and if you fail you end up on a low path rather than dying.

By the time they get this shit right, I'll be too arthritic and/or senile to play it.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

If there are invisible walls, then all this weaving and looping around each other is meaningless aside from looking nice.
You mean exactly like how the original Chemical Plant was like?
  • Thumbs Up 9

I just want to take a minute to bitch about this image and how it's the perfect example of how the level design isn't good enough.

So we've got three parallel paths, though we can't tell just from the picture whether they're separated by invisible walls or not. I'd assume the former, but I'll consider both cases, because both are dumb. If there are invisible walls, then all this weaving and looping around each other is meaningless aside from looking nice. You made your choice earlier on, and all there is to do now is boost through and watch the pretty colors until you have to make another choice. If there aren't invisible walls, then trying to switch lanes is a death trap; you've got a 5% chance of success and a 95% chance of falling into the infinite void, worse if you're boosting (which you are, it's Unleashed Day style). The most sensible option is to sit in your lane, watch the pretty colors go by, and hope the guard rails actually keep you from flying off. Am I the only one who finds this to be unsatisfying?

The weaving paths never had a purpose other than to look nice. Why are you surprised/annoyed by this?

To me, the solution seems obvious. First, if there are invisible walls separating the paths, get rid of them (you could keep the ones on the extreme left and right; the point is to put all the paths in the same box). Widen all the paths. Make the center (lowest) path as wide as the playable area (that is, up to those invisible walls on the extreme left and right). Some further tweaking might help, but the basic idea is there now; you can make meaningful, sensible choices in this area, by trying to jump from one path to another, and if you fail you end up on a low path rather than dying.

No its not quite that simple. On a fixed 2D plane (not even 2.5D) there is nowhere else to fall. You jump, its physically impossible (unless you're debug-mode-ing) to land anywhere else, but on the lower path. Not quite as simple in 3D, because you can fall anywhere. Unless of course you put invisible walls in, to force the player to land on one of the 3 paths. Which of course, you seem to despise.

Of course the only solution remaining, is to add a floor.

The only point of those tube-things is to look cool as you weave up and down. Heck that's more or less the only purpose they served in the original.

By the time they get this shit right, I'll be too arthritic and/or senile to play it.

I already don't care.

It seems like it was more-or less just tacked on after the Sonic 4 breakdown, which was a year ago.

The 2D Stages were probably just meant for Modern Sonic, in all his boosting glory. They probably added Classic Sonic and his gameplay after Sonic 4 exploded. Heck classic's engine is literally just a slightly modified modern engine.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 4

You mean exactly like how the original Chemical Plant was like?
Pretty sure you could jump from one path to the other in Sonic 2. Even if you can't, this is still shitty boost-to-win level design.

The weaving paths never had a purpose other than to look nice. Why are you surprised/annoyed by this?
Because I expect better than this.
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Pretty sure you could jump from one path to the other in Sonic 2.

You can, but there is nowhere else to go. If you jump, it is impossible to miss the other path unless you glitch. This is because you're on a fixed linear 2 Dimensional plane.

Even if you can't, this is still shitty boost-to-win level design.

As opposed to running-forward-without-the-boost-to-win?

Because I expect better than this.

I know you expect better. That's pretty obvious.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 3