Awoo.

Sonic Generations: New Screenshots and Arts [Archive]

Woun

Pretty sure you could jump from one path to the other in Sonic 2. Even if you can't, this is still shitty boost-to-win level design.

Nope, almost all paths in Chemical Plant led to the same place. and I love how you can base the entire level based on one screenshot, its one part of the level, the entire level can't be a wide open.

Edited by Shadic93

Pretty sure you could jump from one path to the other in Sonic 2. Even if you can't, this is still shitty boost-to-win level design.

....And yet you'd complain if they gave you that option.

Also quite a bit of Chemical Plant played itself, so at least the boost-to-win is accurate in this zone's case. =P

Because I expect better than this.

So being able to jump on other paths that lead to the same place is better?

You can, but there is nowhere else to go. If you jump, it is impossible to miss the other path unless you glitch. This is because you're on a fixed linear 2 Dimensional plane.
You can jump from one path to the other path. Y'know, exactly what I'm suggesting here.

As opposed to running forward without the boost?
As opposed to actually doing things.

Nope, almost all paths in Chemical Plant led to the same place.
omgtwo.png

and I love how you can base the entire level based on one screenshot
I am judging this section based on a screenshot of it. Don't waste my time with this shit.

the entire level can't be a wide open.
Who said it should be wide open? I just want some elbow room.

....And yet you'd complain if they gave you that option.
Yes, of course, I always take whichever opinion makes me wrong and stupid. Congrats for getting to the crux of this argument so quickly. Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I am judging this section based on a screenshot of it. Don't waste my time with this shit.

...Really? ONE section of linearity and you say the entire part of the level is shit? Think about that, I can understand if the whole level was leaked and you hated it, but one fucking section is enough to make you cry RUINED FOREVER? The entire level isn't going to be wide open, hell even the original Chemical Plant had spots where it was linear and played itself, so why is it that ONE section of it in this game is considered taboo?

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 3

I still don't see the problem here. It isn't anymore linear than the original, so why is it now the root of all evil that he's running in a straight line for more than two seconds.

As opposed to actually doing things
What do you want, a bloody song and dance routine? It's ok for Sonic to run in a straight line in 2D, but 'ooooooh, it's in 3D now it's shitty boost to win'.

...Really? ONEsection of linearity and you say the whole level is shit?
He said just that one section. Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 7

Personally I don't care about the Rolling too much...if if it's there it'll be just a nice bonus. However I hope the Jump get's better, cause if it stays the way it's in the Demo, it will definitly be a Minus for me.

I still don't see the problem here. It isn't anymore linear than the original, so why is it now the root of all evil that he's running in a straight line for more than two seconds.

Because if Sonic is on a straight line its the bane of the franchise apparently.

...Really? ONE section of linearity and you say the whole level is shit?
Can you try actually reading my posts instead of making shit up and attacking me for these imagined offenses?

I still don't see the problem here. It isn't anymore linear than the original, so why is it now the root of all evil that he's running in a straight line for more than two seconds. What do you want, a bloody song and dance routine? It's ok for Sonic to run in a straight line in 2D, but 'ooooooh, it's in 3D now it's shitty boost to win'.
I don't understand why people are content with a section that has all the player input of fast-forwarding a movie.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I don't understand why people are content with a section that has all the player input of fast-forwarding a movie.
Because Sonic has been doing that since DAY 1.
  • Thumbs Up 9

Can you try actually reading my posts instead of making shit up and attacking me for these imagined offenses?

I edited my post mate.

Because we've been putting up with it for 20 years, so why is it that NOW its a problem? Unless you hated it back then too?

As opposed to actually doing things.

OK.

You make the channels a little bit wider and eliminate the boost. You'll be more or less, doing the exact same thing, but without the boost; moving forward. In order to be able switch paths properly (without having to come to a completel halt, essentially) you'd have to have some kind of invisible wall in order to make sure that the person doesn't land on the platform and then fall straight off due to their momentum. You could have high walls, but that would be no better than invisible walls, you'd just be able to see them. In order for the paths to really be properly switchable without resorting to invisible walls, you'd have to make them incredibly wide, so that the player has time to react and adjust their movement, so that their momentum doesn't force them off-track.

A preview on SEGA Bits by Aaron Webber indicates that it isn't sadly, though not for reasons of laziness or a lack of consideration, but because the process of bug testing everything and reworking the levels to accommodate the alteration would cause the game to be delayed for a long while. They are at least aware though, which shows promise for the next iteration of Classic Sonic gameplay.

He didn't say "no" though. He just said that it's an issue that very well might seems as simple as it sounds.

The problem isn't even that Sonic doesn't go faster though. The problem is that it reacts too much to friction and he never keeps that speed up. Even then there's almost no excuse for it when you can spindash to ridiculous velocities, faster than your top running speed. Personally I don't see why enabling rolling to reach these speeds is such a problem, and I can think of very few situations it would do more harm than what is already possible.

The problem isn't even that Sonic doesn't go faster though. The problem is that it reacts too much to friction and he never keeps that speed up. Even then there's almost no excuse for it when you can spindash to ridiculous velocities, faster than your top running speed. Personally I don't see why enabling rolling to reach these speeds is such a problem, and I can think of very few situations it would do more harm than what is already possible.
It's just them making excuses. They played this exact card with Sonic 4 when people complained about the physics.

It's just them making excuses. They played this exact card with Sonic 4 when people complained about the physics.

No it isn't. That is a genuine issue. Polygon Jim (the guy would changed the rolling value in the Demo) admitted that changing entire sections of levels will be an issue when changing the rolling.

To be honest, the rolling shouldn't have been an issue at all. It just reinforces my idea, that Classic Sonic's gameplay was an afterthought (since Sonic 4 basically), rather than the day 1 inclusion that SEGA's PR keep saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still don't see the problem here. It isn't anymore linear than the original, so why is it now the root of all evil that he's running in a straight line for more than two seconds. What do you want, a bloody song and dance routine? It's ok for Sonic to run in a straight line in 2D, but 'ooooooh, it's in 3D now it's shitty boost to win'.

He said just that one section.

CONGLATURATION !!!

YOU HAVE MADE A GREAT POST

AND PROOVED THE JUSTICE OF OUR CULTURE.

NOW GO AND REST OUR HERO !

But yeah, sig'ed. You smashed the nail right in the face.

• Thumbs Up 7

All that blue liquid, what is Eggman making...Repulsion Gel??

Didn't Sonic ALWAYS have automation in his games? Yes...even Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 had automation.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I recall correctly, the whole "hook" of Chemical Plant was going really fast with virtually no input for a good 10 or 15 seconds.

There's nothing wrong with that tube section to me. If you fail to reach the path you want to before that point, then that's your fault and you'll have to stick with it or backtrack. Sure, it's three "boost hallways" side-by-side, but even the Classic games were laced with speedy "run forward" sections between actual platforming tasks.

• Thumbs Up 6

No it isn't. That is a genuine issue. Polygon Jim (the guy would changed the rolling value in the Demo) admitted that changing entire sections of levels will be an issue when changing the rolling.

To be honest, the rolling shouldn't have been an issue at all. It just reinforces my idea, that Classic Sonic's gameplay was an afterthought (since Sonic 4 basically), rather than the day 1 inclusion that SEGA's PR keep saying.

Actually it really does sound like an excuse when you consider that you can keep spamming the hot button broken spindash all the way through the level. Which would have you "rolling" way faster than a proper fixed (more like the classics) roll would anyway.

What I'm saying is that they're claiming they can't do anything about the physics this late in development, when they SHOULD'VE had these problems ironed out since the beginning.

You don't bake a cake after putting the frosting on, and you don't fine tune the physics after designing all the levels.

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you want to argue about things that aren't about screenshots, go to another topic. Otherwise don't keep doing off-topic talk in this topic. This topic is only for screenshots/arts talk, not "rolling problems"

On-topic: I... Fell in love with Chemical Plant, as of now it's the best zone in the game. (Well duh)

It just reinforces my idea, that Classic Sonic's gameplay was an afterthought (since Sonic 4 basically), rather than the day 1 inclusion that SEGA's PR keep saying.

Isn't it more the opposite? The way Classic Sonic behaves in this game, could be partially an interpretation on their part, before the Sonic 4 complaints rolled in.

Anyway I believe an Classic/Modern Split has been planned since the beginning, but not exactly how.

If you want to argue about things that aren't about screenshots, go to another topic. Otherwise don't keep doing off-topic talk in this topic. This topic is only for screenshots/arts talk, not "rolling problems"

You can also report instead of backseat modding, if you truly think this topic has been completely derailed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

On-topic: I... Fell in love with Chemical Plant, as of now it's the best zone in the game. (Well duh)

I wouldn't say that just yet. We still have Sky Sanctiary, Speed Highway, and Crisis City to see!

You can also report instead of backseat modding, if you truly think this topic has been completely derailed.

There's a report button?

• Thumbs Up 1