Awoo.

Sonic Generations: New Screenshots and Arts [Archive]

Woun

I have to say I'm quite impressed by the look of the water. Graphically the game looks wonderful.

They must have been working on this game for a while for them to gives us all this info and stuff so early since the announcement. The screenshots are awesome though.

Well, of course. They don't start working on a game when they announce it. Since it's due for the end of the year, I assume it has been in development since the beginning of 2010 approximately.

I have to say I'm quite impressed by the look of the water. Graphically the game looks wonderful.

Well, of course. They don't start working on a game when they announce it. Since it's due for the end of the year, I assume it has been in development since the beginning of 2010 approximately.

They have been working on generations ever since SU was completed and half oh SU development time was done making the hedgehog engine. I think now they are doing the final touches on scenery. I expect a lot of ingame content.

Some of it still looks a little low-poly, but I'm sure they'll fix that up. Textures are also not quite as good as the ones used in Unleashed. They've gotta make at least Unleashed level.

I mean, I certainly hope they've improved the Hedgehog Engine. Y'know Hedgehog Engine 2.0 and whatnot.

Also, 3rd screenshot looks phenominal.

Edited by Scar

That water looks fucking amazing, that's all. My god and I thought Unleashed looked amazing.

I love the way they've taken the level Green Hill Zone and fleshed it out into a whole world. I mean look at the first of the three new shots! Classic Sonic is running around the mountains in the background of the original Green Hill!

They aren't locking themselves into only what we saw in Sonic 1, they're exploring Green Hill Zone as if it is a real place. The attention to detail and comittment to innovation with simultaneous loyalty to the original zone is fantastic.

Aesthetically, this is Green Hill as it was meant to be.

• Thumbs Up 2

627224_20110417_screen002.jpg

I'm terribly sorry... I seem to have drooled on the carpet...

That is lovely. I can see this being the first Sonic game I actually stop and just have a walk around going "Gawd it looks beautiful."

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm terribly sorry... I seem to have drooled on the carpet...

That is lovely. I can see this being the first Sonic game I actually stop and just have a walk around going "Gawd it looks beautiful."

Totally. Reminds me of the days when I was amazed at how NiGHTS could fly under the waterfall and the water would pour onto him. lol, that compared to this makes me feel like an old man. :rolleyes:

This rendition of the Green Hill Zone is just fantastic...perfect even. This makes the SA2 version look like a childish fan-attempt...All this game needs is a Lava Reef Zone of this quality and I can die a happy man.

This rendition of the Green Hill Zone is just fantastic...perfect even. This makes the SA2 version look like a childish fan-attempt...All this game needs is a Lava Reef Zone of this quality and I can die a happy man.

Edited by Blue Blood

I love the way they've taken the level Green Hill Zone and fleshed it out into a whole world. I mean look at the first of the three new shots! Classic Sonic is running around the mountains in the background of the original Green Hill!

They aren't locking themselves into only what we saw in Sonic 1, they're exploring Green Hill Zone as if it is a real place. The attention to detail and comittment to innovation with simultaneous loyalty to the original zone is fantastic.

Aesthetically, this is Green Hill as it was meant to be.

Edited by Black Spy

I am + repping you because you provided the proof I needed to pwnprove to several people that modern Sonic was actually smiling in the artwork. Thank you. tongue.gif

I can't lie... I haven't been this captivated by the graphics in a Sonic game since I played the Japanese demo of Sonic Adventure back when I was 7. Hell, it manages to take me back. Amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's really too bad I'm not interested in playing this (and even if I was, I can't anyway), because this game does look gorgeous. Loving the cartoon aesthetics. I have no complaints here.

Totally. Reminds me of the days when I was amazed at how NiGHTS could fly under the waterfall and the water would pour onto him. lol, that compared to this makes me feel like an old man. :rolleyes:

Funny, I was thinking about the same thing with NiGHTS a few days ago when I saw the first gameplay trailer! But it does look damn amazing. Im not gonna get a magnify glass and look at every polygon to compare it to Unleashed, lol but compared to many Sonic games this is really up par with the best (unleashed) ect. And since its not even completed, nor have we seen any other levels, I can't wait whats in store.

And when you look at the pictures some problems are obvious- paper fauna, low-res textures and pixelated shadows/reflections. The exact same was true of Unleashed HD, and this looking much better than that. Watching it in motion on an HD TV will hide some of the problems and make it look spectacular.

EDIT: Goodness gracious. Jibberish much? See the quote in Scar's post below to get an idea of how bad this post was before.

Edited by Blue Blood

And can look at the pictures at some problems are obvious- paper-fauna, low-res textures and pixelated shadows/reflections. The exact same way true of Unleashed, and this much better than that. Watching it in motion on an HD TV should reveal no issues at all.

They might increase the poly count on really up-close areas and they might increase the texture resolution where it matters.

As for the fauna, a lot of games just have paper fauna, I think its unrealistic to have a game with levels this large (serious, Sonic moves at a rate of knots, these stages must be HUGE) to have any kind of stable framerate if everything was high-poly, high-res 3D objects. It could be doable on PC, but this game is not on PC.

• Thumbs Up 1

They might increase the poly count on really up-close areas and they might increase the texture resolution where it matters.

As for the fauna, a lot of games just have paper fauna, I think its unrealistic to have a game with levels this large (serious, Sonic moves at a rate of knots, these stages must be HUGE) to have any kind of stable framerate if everything was high-poly, high-res 3D objects. It could be doable on PC, but this game is not on PC.

Yeah, most games do paper fauna, but this case as of it seems to be rather basic. You'd notice it in stills, but never actually in gameplay.

Also, plus repping you simply for making sense of that nightmare of a post. Bloody hell. Stupid side-effect of meds stopping me sleeping *grumble grumble*

soniccomparison.png

SHAZAM!

One thing I like about the two is that Classic Sonic doesn't have any detail in his fur and shoes, mimicking the 2D art he was always drawn in.

Anyway that you guys can put these two art pieces together into one wallpaper by any chance? This is so awesome! Thanks!!! :D