Awoo.

Time to discuss the plot! Already!

Diquro

Ok. SEGA has just posted a new gameplay trailer for Sonic Generations. With it, they have released a press release. Included with this press release is a brief summary of the plot.

Sonic’s universe is thrown into chaos when a mysterious new power creates ‘time holes’ which pull him and his friends back through time.  As a result he encounters some surprises from his past history including Classic Sonic, Sonic as he appeared in 1991.  Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic must defeat this strange new enemy, save their friends, and find out who really is behind this diabolical deed... 

So, this is the plot. What did you want the plot to be or what are your thoughts on it? Leave your answers below.

It figures the plot would be time-travel-related. These 'time holes' must be why the background from the teaser trailer was turning white.

I'm intrigued by the fact that the brief synopsis says that it's the work of a new enemy instead of saying Eggman/Robotnik since this would seem like the kind of thing he would do, especially if we bring the big plan Eggman mentions at the end of Colors into account.

Could we be gunning for a new antagonist? And by new antagonist I mean a villain like Merlina or Mephiles and not some random monster that smacks Eggman aside at the last second.

Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic must defeat this strange new enemy, save their friends, and find out who really is behind this diabolical deed...

Oh fuck off Sega, just fuck the fucking hell off.

It's Monster of the Week again, everybody!

Unless it's 1991 Robotnik. That'd kick arse.

• Bad Quality Post 5

Seeing as the Colors writers were confirmed to be coming back in the previews topic, I'm expecting most of the plot to be at the beginning and end of the game, with only hints in between like Colors, most of them focusing on interaction and jokes between Classic and Modern Sonic.

Seeing as the Colors writers were confirmed to be coming back in the previews topic, I'm expecting most of the plot to be at the beginning and end of the game, with only hints in between like Colors, most of them focusing on interaction and jokes between Classic and Modern Sonic.

Or maybe they can get serious for a change, and make a serious story.

Honestly, I think this is the absolutely BEST thing they could do with it. One confusion people keep bringing up is the fact that the ages of Sonic characters are not accurately defined, but that really doesn't affect anything. Classic Sonic = Young Sonic is by far the best explanation as to how both can exist in the same game, and it also makes Classic Sonic fans happen to know that he's not just a skin; he's actually part of the plot.

One other thing that could be interesting (although I'm not going to say is a necessity) is that they may try and take this plotline and solve a few plotholes in the series.

Another possibility is that it may somehow be similar to Sonic CD... as in, doing things in the past can help change the future.

Hopefully it'll be the Eggmen behind this plot and not some stupid monster.

I wonder if this game is canon? Because it's strange that Classic Sonic would canonically be the past version of Modern Sonic. I thought Sonic's new design was pretty much a retcon. It wouldn't make sense if Classic Sonic was in fact a younger version of Modern Sonic who got green eyes by aging.

Or maybe they can get serious for a change, and make a serious story.

If you want a serious story then go play an RPG, watch HBO or read a book.

This is Sonic. Fun, goofy, cool, simplistic Sonic. Not Final Fantasy.

• Thumbs Up 9
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I wonder if this game is canon? Because it's strange that Classic Sonic would canonically be the past version of Modern Sonic. I thought Sonic's new design was pretty much a retcon. It wouldn't make sense if Classic Sonic was in fact a younger version of Modern Sonic who got green eyes by aging.

Not everything needs to make sense.

Who honestly cares....really.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh fuck off Sega, just fuck the fucking hell off.

It's Monster of the Week again, everybody!

Unless it's 1991 Robotnik. That'd kick arse.

Well to be fair, that only applies when the description goes "Eggman unleashes the *Insert Generic Name here*"

If they did do that, I would love for Sonic to point out how many times he's done that and failed.

Since Ken Pontac and Warren Graff are writing, I have high hopes for this. The Colors script might not have been flawless but it gave the characters so much personality, and I'm optimistic towards the outcome of this. It could very well end up being this series' equivalent to Turtles Forever.

I didn't honestly expect that much from a cross-time meetup game so this plot seems perfectly feasible. It'll probably be a lot bigger than it at first is letting on.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you want a serious story then go play an RPG, watch HBO or read a book.

This is Sonic. Fun, goofy, cool, simplistic Sonic. Not Final Fantasy.

That's not what I meant, I mean actually have something resembling a plot rather than just mindless Jokes inserted into the cutscenes. Something more along the lines of Unleashed will be fine by me.

That's not what I meant, I mean actually have something resembling a plot rather than just mindless Jokes inserted into the cutscenes. Something more along the lines of Unleashed will be fine by me.

Just as long as we don't have to deal with any stupid humans or random monsters.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm thinking the plot will be an appropriate balance of light-hearted and serious like Unleashed.

Colors somewhat was a little more light-hearted, but knew how to execute serious moments. As minor as the serious moments were in Colors, they were still there.

^ It WAS retconned. They've obviously retconned it back because people kept complaining so damn much. As for the eyes thing, just ignore it. If the fans weren't worried about the eyes, classic Sonic would have green eyes, too. He didn't get green eyes from aging--he's always had them, but if they gave classic Sonic "green eyes," people would complain, so instead he's got his classic "no-eyes." Well, okay, "no-irises."

EDIT: When I first starting posting this Core WAS the previous poster. Now these topics are flying through so fast... and my browser started to lock up momentarily... my guess being its because TSS is getting piled up with this latest revelation. FF4 hasn't froze on me yet.

Edited by UltimaHedgie

Just as long as we don't have to deal with any stupid humans or random monsters.

Agreed.

Unless its Prof. Pickle....he was awesome.

• Thumbs Up 3

I get the feeling it won't actually be a new a villain, but an old villain. But then who would be capable of Time Holes?

The problem is we know too little to guess properly. For all I know it could be a new villain, it could be an old villain, it could be Eggman or Robotnik under a disguise... Hell, it could be Sonic from the future, I don't know. XD

However, I don't think the story for the most part will be too serious or dark or anything. I don't mind an epic finale, but this is from the Colors writers and I am interested to see how this goes for them.

So, does them saying it's Colors writers automatically mean it's the Wii's version or could they mean the writers for the DS version.

I'm thinking it's the former.

I get the feeling it won't actually be a new a villain, but an old villain. But then who would be capable of Time Holes?

Metal Sonic with the time stones? :P

• Thumbs Up 1

But.....he probably won't be voiced by Dan Green. :(

But it was Dan Green doing an old man voice. It's not hard to mimic that.

Metal Sonic with the time stones? :P

Metal Sonic and Robotnik went time travel crazy in Sonic CD. Maybe they're at it again?