Awoo.

Time to discuss the plot! Already!

Diquro

I'd say the mostlikely choice here as far as a villain goes is one we haven't seen in a while. I still think that Eggman will be the final boss (after what happened with Colors), but I have a feeling that Eggman Nega might be causing these time disturbances. Of course, that's questionable.

I DON'T think Sega will go for "Monster of the Week" because they know fans are tired of that.

All I'm wishin for is a cutscene where Eggman sees 2 Sonics and has a mental breakdown.

Edited by Diquro
  • Thumbs Up 7

I'd say the mostlikely choice here as far as a villain goes is one we haven't seen in a while. I still think that Eggman will be the final boss (after what happened with Colors), but I have a feeling that Eggman Nega might be causing these time disturbances. Of course, that's questionable.

I DON'T think Sega will go for "Monster of the Week" because they know fans are tired of that.

Not to mention they already did MotW in the DS version of Colors.

The best way they can possibly pull off this story, be simultaneously Crazy Awesome, Retraux, and hang a lampshade on recent villain trends at the same time, is to have it be a new villain that ends up being the man behind the Eggman, only for it to later be revealed to be Robotnik, who teams up with Eggman as the final boss.

Though, just as long as Eggman isn't Hijacked by Ganon Robotnik who takes the spotlight as the final boss.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seeing as the Colors writers were confirmed to be coming back in the previews topic, I'm expecting most of the plot to be at the beginning and end of the game, with only hints in between like Colors, most of them focusing on interaction and jokes between Classic and Modern Sonic.

Was it? Can you give me a link, please?

If you want a serious story then go play an RPG, watch HBO or read a book.

This is Sonic. Fun, goofy, cool, simplistic Sonic. Not Final Fantasy.

Fuck no.

• Thumbs Up 5

The best way they can possibly pull off this story, be simultaneously Crazy Awesome, Retraux, and hang a lampshade on recent villain trends at the same time, is to have it be a new villain that ends up being the man behind the Eggman, only for it to later be revealed to be Robotnik, who teams up with Eggman as the final boss.

Though, just as long as Eggman isn't Hijacked by Ganon Robotnik who takes the spotlight as the final boss.

I'm all for Crazy Awesomeness, it makes anything better.

Yes! Obviously the new villain is not singular, but a league of Sonic's fiercest foes. Like some crazy saturday morning cartoon vein, behold "The Council of Villainy!" Eggman, Robotnik, Witchcart, Metal Sonic, Black Doom, and Dark Gaia all under one roof plotting to stop that blasted hedgehog!

But before we get into the ridiculous, the facts right now are:

-It involves time travel

-Modern and Classic Sonic are the stars

-Their friends have been kidnapped and they have to rescue them

-The villain is creating time holes

-The script is by the Colors writers

Beyond that hindsight, we got nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1

So the guys who wrote Colors are coming back for this game? AWESOME!

Just step your game up from the last game's plot. Probably could've been done better with a few more characters, preferably Amy and Cream. I'd wager they're the best candidates that could've been used along with Colors storywise.

If you want a serious story then go play an RPG, watch HBO or read a book.

This is Sonic. Fun, goofy, cool, simplistic Sonic. Not Final Fantasy.

And who the fuck said Sonic isn't allowed to be edgy, serious, and layered as well as fun goofy and cool?

Dude, it's all about balance. He can work with whatever can be handled well. And you know damn well no one wants anything near the likes of Sonic 06 or ShTH; Unleashed and SA2 are the ceiling for serious.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 6

Yes! Obviously the new villain is not singular, but a league of Sonic's fiercest foes. Like some crazy saturday morning cartoon vein, behold "The Council of Villainy!" Eggman, Robotnik, Witchcart, Metal Sonic, Black Doom, and Dark Gaia all under one roof plotting to stop that blasted hedgehog!

-It involves time travel

Wait if Sonic's friends are kidnapped? Oh god if Shadow gets kidnapped....Best. Cutscene. Ever.

Sonic: Wait, you got captured?

Shadow: He caught me off guard.

Sonic: Yeah, right. Oh man this is just too sweet, the Ultimate Lifeform a damsel in distress.

Shadow: Just free me.

Sonic: In a minute princess.

hilarity will ensue if that happens.

• Thumbs Up 9

Sega needs to handle Sonic like Nintendo does Mario, attempting more serious, complex plot in games suited to them, separating them from the "main" games and giving them their own distinctive visual styles.

-It involves time travel

Why is Mephilles, the one villain known for traveling through time, not there? xD

So, does them saying it's Colors writers automatically mean it's the Wii's version or could they mean the writers for the DS version.

I'm thinking it's the former.

Funny thing is, according to those games' credits, both versions of Sonic Colors have the same 3 writers.

I'm going to assume it'll be like Colors Wii, with the American writers writing the script for the Western version which will be then translated and adapted by the Japanese writer for the Japanese version (as I assume that's what happened with that game).

Wait if Sonic's friends are kidnapped? Oh god if Shadow gets kidnapped....Best. Cutscene. Ever.

Sonic: Yeah, right. Oh man this is just too sweet, the Ultimate Lifeform a damsel in distress.

I'll be honest, that shit would make my year.

Sega needs to handle Sonic like Nintendo does Mario, attempting more serious, complex plot in games suited to them, separating them from the "main" games and giving them their own distinctive visual styles.

Why?

(which at this point I'm completely sure they'll call Classic Eggman)

DO IT AND YOU DIE!

Edited by Black Spy

Oh man. Please, please, please let there be end-of-level capsules with actual characters in them. I just had a mental image of Sonic jumping on a capsule's button and a very irritated Shadow slouching his way out. It was kind of amazing.

Anyway, I'm pretty confident that Eggman and/or Robotnik (which at this point I'm completely sure they'll call Classic Eggman) will be our ultimate baddie. I don't think anyone could be stupid enough to put together such an appealing anniversary package and then completely drop the ball when it comes to the villain.

Completely agreed. There'd only so much room in a platformer for plot before you start edging in on the gameplay's space; better to save up any particularly expansive plot concepts and put them in a Paper Sonic instead of wasting them where they won't be done justice.

EDIT: OH GOD DAMMIT SHADIC

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 2

Dude, I WANT that to happen. Imagine the amount of backsassing they will do.

Also, it shows that Shadow isn't so broken as people make him out to be...although it'll be a long run before that gets accepted easily. I can bet die-hard Shadow fans won't like that one bit, since their character is so SOOPERIAR! Meh, it wouldn't hurt this Shadow fan.

Unfortunately, the inverse tends to happen with those games regarding Sonic: the more plot heavy and references that go on, the more likely it's considered a "main" game. That's why the spin-off Shadow the Hedgehog is considered part of the main continuity, while the Storybooks are seen as outside the main canon. Only since Unleashed did the reference part drop.

As far as how they need to handle Sonic, attempting a serious, complex plot in the "main" games is doing absolutely no harm as far as they make it enjoyable and not make it convoluted. And the same goes for a simple plot, as lord knows that equally shot them in the foot with Heroes' not explaining shit enough in it's plot.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Dude, I WANT that to happen. Imagine the amount of backsassing they will do.

Also, it shows that Shadow isn't so broken as people make him out to be...although it'll be a long run before that gets accepted easily. I can bet die-hard Shadow fans won't like that one bit, since their character is so SOOPERIAR! Meh, it wouldn't hurt this Shadow fan.

That's why I want it to happen, it would be killing two birds with one stone:

A legit funny cutscene.

And HUGE take that to all the Shadow fanboys.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why is Mephilles, the one villain known for traveling through time, not there? xD

I was going to include him but unfortunately I don't think he can return thanks to that whole, "He was killed from reality and thanks to events he technically never existed" deal.

If we're going to be going the old villain route, where we stand now:

-Eggman is still active

-Robotnik is likely a part as he is in the past

-Metal Sonic wouldn't be a big surprise either and likely plays some role

-Witchcart is lolzly but one of the only old villains besides Robotnik, even if technically she only fought Tails

-Fang the Sniper (Nack the Weasel) has been missing in action

-Battle Kukku Army or whatever has been missing in action but only really enemies of Tails as well

-Chaos isn't really a villain anymore

-Shadow isn't really a villain and more of a rival now

-Black Doom might be dead but might not be at the same time

-Void is very unlikely and was a split part of a personality that was reunited

-Eggman Nega is a possibility but he has been out of duty for a little bit now

-I really doubt the Babylon Rogues have anything to do with this.

-Mephiles was killed from reality and time itself

-Iblis had the same fate as Mephiles

-Erazor Djnn just exists in a storybook and was killed anyways

-Dark Gaia is sleeping

-I really doubt Ix from Chronicles has anything to do with this

-Cubot and Orbot are followers, not doers.

-Merlina is in a storybook and likely has nothing to do with anything

That's basically all the main villains of the series, well except...

Oh my god, we need modern Knuckles and classic Knuckles to meet. Classic Villain Knuckles NEEDS to return.

Hm. Can't say I'm all too interested in the story right now. It also doesn't make sense, but big deal. What we know already sounds like fun. I wonder who this new villain is though...

It's probably Eggman and Robotnik.

It'd be funny seeing Shadow get captured... but he isn't exactly considered one of Sonic's "friends," either. Honestly, I think he'd go more the way of Knuckles in Sonic Advance 2, except he wasn't tricked into working against Sonic... he's just got his own means of doing things (as typical), and clashes with Sonic a bit before finally joining and becoming playable (optionally, of course).

Knuckles I think would work in a similar manner... He wouldn't necessarily get "kidnapped", but he wouldn't join Sonic right away.

Of course, they could very well get captured... And its not like Shadow hasn't been "captured" before. See: Sonic Heroes, Sonic '06 (this happens in the future; the present Shadow does not get captured). He just needs to get knocked out briefly and caught from behind (being randomly sucked into a time space loophole could do this). Then something would have to be done to negate his powers so he couldn't escape on his own, but its not like that kind of thing has never happened before... See: Sonic Unleashed (using Super Sonic as the example).

I still don't know if they'd count Shadow as one of "Sonic's friends", though. That sounds more like Tails, Amy, Cream... maybe Knuckles.

I was going to include him but unfortunately I don't think he can return thanks to that whole, "He was killed from reality and thanks to events he technically never existed" deal.

If we're going to be going the old villain route, where we stand now:

-Eggman is still active

-Robotnik is likely a part as he is in the past

-Metal Sonic wouldn't be a big surprise either and likely plays some role

-Witchcart is lolzly but one of the only old villains besides Robotnik, even if technically she only fought Tails

-Fang the Sniper (Nack the Weasel) has been missing in action

-Battle Kukku Army or whatever has been missing in action but only really enemies of Tails as well

-Chaos isn't really a villain anymore

-Shadow isn't really a villain and more of a rival now

-Black Doom might be dead but might not be at the same time

-Void is very unlikely and was a split part of a personality that was reunited

-Eggman Nega is a possibility but he has been out of duty for a little bit now

-I really doubt the Babylon Rogues have anything to do with this.

-Mephiles was killed from reality and time itself

-Iblis had the same fate as Mephiles

-Erazor Djnn just exists in a storybook and was killed anyways

-Dark Gaia is sleeping

-I really doubt Ix from Chronicles has anything to do with this

-Cubot and Orbot are followers, not doers.

-Merlina is in a storybook and likely has nothing to do with anything

That's basically all the main villains of the series, well except...

Oh my god, we need modern Knuckles and classic Knuckles to meet. Classic Villain Knuckles NEEDS to return.

Except Knuckles was never a villain, he was tricked, and even then he was just defending his home, and I don't think he was out to hurt Sonic & Tails just make them leave.

Except Knuckles was never a villain, he was tricked, and even then he was just defending his home, and I don't think he was out to hurt Sonic & Tails just make them leave.

We need Classic Knuckles to return. That toothy laugh from S3K needs to be reborn in 3D.

• Thumbs Up 1

It'd be funny seeing Shadow get captured... but he isn't exactly considered one of Sonic's "friends," either. Honestly, I think he'd go more the way of Knuckles in Sonic Advance 2, except he wasn't tricked into working against Sonic... he's just got his own means of doing things (as typical), and clashes with Sonic a bit before finally joining and becoming playable (optionally, of course).

Knuckles I think would work in a similar manner... He wouldn't necessarily get "kidnapped", but he wouldn't join Sonic right away.

Of course, they could very well get captured... And its not like Shadow hasn't been "captured" before. See: Sonic Heroes, Sonic '06 (this happens in the future; the present Shadow does not get captured). He just needs to get knocked out briefly and caught from behind (being randomly sucked into a time space loophole could do this). Then something would have to be done to negate his powers so he couldn't escape on his own, but its not like that kind of thing has never happened before... See: Sonic Unleashed (using Super Sonic as the example).

I still don't know if they'd count Shadow as one of "Sonic's friends", though. That sounds more like Tails, Amy, Cream... maybe Knuckles.

Well what are they gonna call him then? I still say it would be one of the best things for Shadow, showing he's not above it all, and that he can be put in ridiculous situations.

I wonder if Knuckles would be annoyed by his Classic Self's tendency to chuckle a lot.

We need Classic Knuckles to return. That toothy laugh from S3K needs to be reborn in 3D.

And then Modern Knuckles can get pissed off, thinking he's laughing at him, think Baby Luigi from Partners in time.

M. Knuckles: Hey Chuckles you laughing at me?

C. Knuckles: *Continues to Chuckle at him*

M. Knuckles: OK, that does it...

'Villain' Knuckles as in he doesn't trust Sonic and thinks he is the enemy. Not that he is particularly evil, but he is a foe of Sonic.

There is very much potential hilarity between Modern and Classic Sonic & Knuckles.

Edited by Dusk Golem

You just know that the final scene will have all the Classic characters on one side of the screen, and all the Modern characters on the other side of the screen. Both Sonics in the middle shaking hands or high fiving before the Modern cast departs through the time portal (or vice versa). It's too perfect a shot NOT to do.

Edited by Barry the Nomad