Awoo.

Time to discuss the plot! Already!

Diquro

BlazingTales

no way one can have blue eyelids and another have flesh and be the same

Edited by BlazingTales

But yeah, I think it's been 99% confirmed classic Sonic is just modern Sonic in a younger form. The official press release for Sonic Generations explained the plot as follows:

Unless they mean "past history" in a figurative, 'fourth-wall' fashion, then I assume classic Sonic's young Sonic.

Unless they mean "past history" in a figurative, 'fourth-wall' fashion, then I assume classic Sonic's young Sonic.

BlazingTales

I'm hoping they mean past history in a meta fashion, otherwise they're going to have to explain to me why his younger self was 16. =/

Edited by BlazingTales

JaidynReiman

Honestly, I doubt the age will be addressed.

On another note... the "eras" simply refer to what other games will be reference stage-wise. That doesn't necessarily mean that Sonic and Co. will travel to these specific eras... I think people are jumping ahead of themselves on this note.

Seeing continuity break is so much fun! Modern Sonic meeting his classic self could lead to some fun moments.

Maybe even a race? Taking on the Egg Flag Ship from Adventure 1 (with both) would be insane.

Or VS Metal Sonic, with the completely insane level from start to finish. I have always wanted to see that in a new direction.

Although I wonder what the drive behind the "time" barrier breaking could be.

Maybe the "dark entity" from Sonic 06 is making a comeback after all?

To be honest, I was really hoping that the Sonics would be from seperate universes instead of time periods. Just how the heck does one change eye color as he ages? Furthermore, it doesn't make sense that Sonic's young self cannot speak

Don't we're not starting this again.

Spooky Mulder

Spiky, how does a hedgehog travel faster than the speed of sound? How do seven gems found in colorful alternate dimensions accessed by magical sign posts turn you golden and make you invincible? How does a mustachioed Roosevelt look-a-like use animals to power his evil robot creations?

Don't expect to make sense of a world which is inherently nonsensical.

Edited by BD3
  • Thumbs Up 4

Sega DogTagz

I guess not. But another reason I'd rather it be a different universe is so Modern Sonic wouldn't recognize Classic's levels, and vice-versa. That would make for some interesting writing.

Saint Nathan

You know what I would love seeing? Having M. Sonic start to remember the whole adventure as C. Sonic advances, because his past is being rewritten, he can remember the adventure from his younger self's perspective as it continues on.

How would this be useful? Well, things like upgrades and new moves and such. C. Sonic learns something, M. Sonic remembers it and alters it to fit his style more.

C. Sonic learns how to do the Bounce Attack. M. Sonic remembers how to bounce, but instead uses it in the middle of a boost with a short hop and a big bounce to allow him to jump super high and super far.

C. Sonic learns how to do a short dash, M. Sonic's homing attack extends it's range and is faster.

Stuff like that, kinda bridging the continuity a little, but keeping it so M. Sonic can't remember things until they happen, so there's no "wait wouldn't he know this whole thing already".

• Thumbs Up 8

You know what I would love seeing? Having M. Sonic start to remember the whole adventure as C. Sonic advances, because his past is being rewritten, he can remember the adventure from his younger self's perspective as it continues on.

How would this be useful? Well, things like upgrades and new moves and such. C. Sonic learns something, M. Sonic remembers it and alters it to fit his style more.

C. Sonic learns how to do the Bounce Attack. M. Sonic remembers how to bounce, but instead uses it in the middle of a boost with a short hop and a big bounce to allow him to jump super high and super far.

C. Sonic learns how to do a short dash, M. Sonic's homing attack extends it's range and is faster.

Stuff like that, kinda bridging the continuity a little, but keeping it so M. Sonic can't remember things until they happen, so there's no "wait wouldn't he know this whole thing already".

Now THAT would be WAY PAST COOL.

Spiky, how does a hedgehog travel faster than the speed of sound? How do seven gems found in colorful alternate dimensions accessed by magical sign posts turn you golden and make you invincible? How does a mustachioed Roosevelt look-a-like use animals to power his evil robot creations?

Don't expect to make sense of a world which is inherently nonsensical.

It's not the same thing, really. Sonic's world in not a nonsensical world where random things happen for no reason. For the most part, it is pretty consistent. I don't care if in our world hedgehogs can't run to the speed of sound, I can still accept that this is something normal and sensible in Sonic's world. You know, suspension of disbelief. I don't see why we shouldn't expect this world to have some consistency.

• Thumbs Up 2

CrownSlayer’s Shadow

Pretty sure he said that to strike down how we need an explaination for Sonic's Green Eyes, not to accept whatever random shit happens...not that that's stopped the series before.

Precisely, Sonic's green eyes seems random enough to me to require an explanation, now that they've apparently decided that Sonic's new design wasn't a retcon but an actual, canonical change. Same goes for the talking ability.

But I may be wrong, and I'm waiting to learn more about this game's story and how they introduce this.

• Thumbs Up 1

CrownSlayer’s Shadow

Precisely, Sonic's green eyes seems random enough to me to require an explanation, now that they've apparently decided that Sonic's new design wasn't a retcon but an actual, canonical change. Same goes for the talking ability.

Sounds insignificant to me, especially the talking "ability" since that was only a case of the genesis games not being powerful enough for speech and the fact that stories back then weren't looked at as intensely as they are today. So he didn't gain the ability to talk. If anything, that just part of the fanservice with Classic Sonic.

As for the green eyes, exactly what explaination do we really need for that? I would love to hear how Sonic Team would even go about justifying it just to see the reactions for those who wanted it. But overall, he just has green eyes as a result of a redesign.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

So he didn't gain the ability to talk.

But overall, he just has green eyes as a result of a redesign.

That's exactly what I mean. Those changes were not supposed to be part of the story.

But, in this game they apparently introduce mute Classic Sonic as a canonical younger version of Modern Sonic, which, story-wise, is not really consistent.

In the end it doesn't matter much to me, though. I would just prefer if things were a bit more consistent, but I don't think they're going to bother with that; I understand that it's pretty much just fanservice.

Saint Nathan

Eye color changes as you get older, guys. That's not an uncommon thing. My eyes were brown when I was born, went to green when I was around 5, and then until I was 14 they switched between brown and green almost daily, until they settled on hazel only recently.

Hair color does the same thing, people who are born with black hair can become blonde just though life.

Saint Nathan

OK, I guess that's good enough of an explanation :P

(but I thought all babies had blue eyes)

I dunno if that's true, but we don't exactly have any pictures of me around that time without the red-eye-picture thing, and I'm not willing to dip into the only video of me at that age, so I generally roll with what I've been told.

The eye thing doesn't bother me nearly as much as Classic Sonic's giant bulging brow apparently completely flattening out. I guess that's just because he faceplanted into the ground so many times?

I doubt we're going to get an in-depth explanation of anything in this game, and I'm surprisingly okay with that. I'm a huge sucker for story consistency, but the second I saw the two Sonics side-by-side I pretty much gave up on the idea of trying to shoehorn Generations into any kind of continuity. No explanation for the transition between classic and modern could possibly satisfy me; better to leave it unexplained and spend all of the time that would have been used for exposition on fun inter-generation character interaction and fanservice.

I'm surprised there are even people who presumably are gonna lose sleep over whether or not this game gives an explanation on how Modern Sonic "changed" into having green eyes and the "ability" to talk, when the black eyes and muteness are only represented in the most meta sense possible.

I'm surprised there are even people who presumably are gonna lose sleep over whether or not this game gives an explanation on how Modern Sonic "changed" into having green eyes and the "ability" to talk, when the black eyes and muteness are only represented in the most meta sense possible.

Yeah, tell me about it.

It's either make them two separate characters or make explanations as to how C. Sonic went from back eyes and peach eyelids to green eyes and blue eyelids. :rolleyes: