Sign in to follow this  
FTA

Sonic Battle

I've been replaying this over the last few days, and it really is an underrated classic.

Also hands down one of the best written Sonic games, everyone is on character and the dialouge actually makes me laugh out loud. The story is also one of the better plot lines, and the mystery of the Gizoid is a real page turner, and the ending? My God, it brings a tear to my eye everytime.

The combat works really well, the sprite animation is so fluid the characters look like cartoons, and the music has a real distinct style, I know a lot of people didn't like it, I feel it's one of the more unique Sonic scores, and really pushes the GBA to its limits (Final Credits 1, is just beautiful). Not to mention the art style, Battle may be my all time favourite Sonic design, and the "upset" Tails model is possible the cutest thing ever.

This is one game (along with Heroes) that is BEGGING for a sequel. All they'd need to do is improve on the story mode. I mean I love this game, but even I get bored with the "Fight_____in a 5 KO match, then fight again in a 10 KO match" system that the game seemed to love using. Just make the story mode more varried, like the Rouge mode did, and I think it'd make a great sequel. The combat would need more varried moves, but the equipable Emerl is great to change about.

Also how can you not love the fan service in terms of the Green Hill level, complete with the most rockin' remix ever made.

In short, this game needs more love and I'd love a DS sequel. Thoughts?

Edited by FTA

I've actually never played Sonic Battle, but from what I've seen it looks great. Kinda like Super Smash Bros. for on-the-go, and it has all Sonic characters instead.

But as for finally playing it - I don't know any stores that sell it new or used, I know no one personally who owns the game, and my parents won't let me buy anything off E-Bay for fear it could be a scam. Also, I don't have a DS, and I'm not allowed to get one, so I won't be able to play the sequel anyway.

I tried to replay this game recently. It's really the same boring shit over and over, here's the flow of the whole game:

heavy attack > heavy attack > heavy attack > fail to kill your opponent with a flashing special attack > somehow get killed mysteriously > repeat, kill your opponent's 5 lives > repeat entire process, except this time with 10 lives

Oh yeah, with Rouge, it suddenly becomes this:

hover > kick > hover > kick > hover > kick > hover > kick > hover > kick > hover > kick...

I'll bitch more about this game when I get back from uni, but in short, Sonic Battle sucks.

I tried to replay this game recently. It's really the same boring shit over and over, here's the flow of the whole game:

heavy attack > heavy attack > heavy attack > fail to kill your opponent with a flashing special attack > somehow get killed mysteriously > repeat, kill your opponent's 5 lives > repeat entire process, except this time with 10 lives

Oh yeah, with Rouge, it suddenly becomes this:

hover > kick > hover > kick > hover > kick > hover > kick > hover > kick > hover > kick...

I'll bitch more about this game when I get back from uni, but in short, Sonic Battle sucks.

While I agree the combat can get a bit repetitive and Rouge does have the cheapest move list in the game, to be fair every single fighting game is like this.

I've been playing this a lot recently too. Although I admit the combat is a bit repetative at times, it's a good game overall.

And I love spamming the crap out of those unlockable combos which give your opponent an insta-KO. IGN's good for something :P

Battle was WAY TO REPETITIVE. Nearly every fight in the game is spam Heavy Attack, kill opponent, rinse, repeat. There's NO strategy WHAT SO EVER in this game. It's easy to kill everybody, it's easy to get ganged up on in multi opponent fights, and it's easy to just combo the same moves to death until everyone dies.

The story really isn't that great either and everybody's story involves taking/trying to take Emerl for themselves so they can exploit him for their own needs. But the worst part involves some of the story elements that just make NO sense whatsoever, e.g.

a. Eggman, having 6 of the Chaos Emeralds already, breaks them into shards to power his Emerl clones, when he could build a super powerful robot or hell, make one Emerl clone that uses all six at the same time.

b. Eggman has a doomsday cannon on his spaceship that can destroy stars, and yet doesn't just aim it at Earth and threaten the whole planet to submit to him.

and

c. Sonic brings "a" Master Emerald to stop a crazed Emerl when first, only Knuckles is capable of making the M.E do that, and second, when it "breaks" not only does it make that whole senario a Big Lipped Alligator Moment, but no one(READ: Knuckles) even gives a shit about it.

And that is just among other messed up things about the plot for one.

I can go on all day about the story, and that wouldn't even be scratching the surface until I get to the gameplay.

Sonic battle's plot:

Tails: Sonic, this robot destroyed an entire civilization!

Sonic: Let's give it chaos emeralds!

What's wrong with this picture?

LOL, why that isn't the whole picture, the summed up version does make it sound stupid, I admit.

Sonic battle's plot:

Tails: Sonic, this robot destroyed an entire civilization!

Sonic: Let's give it chaos emeralds!

What's wrong with this picture?

Actually, in Tails' story, after he hacks into Emerl's database, and takes a look at his past, and narrowly escapes a horde of guard robots, Tails returns to Sonic to tell him about what he's found, only to be interrupted, and never makes any attempts to inform his friend about the information he uncovered again, making it all another BLAM.

I recall Sonic and Tails having an uninterrupted conversation about it.

Anyway, I found Sonic Battle to be quit a bit too simple as mechanics go, and even then the mechanics didn't really fit together that well.

Shadow is massively overpowered in this game, and I love the way the game knows it. All of Shadow's moves cost more than average to have Emerl use. The typical pursuit attack is some kind of axe kick, Shadow teleports across the screen and Blodia Kicks (what I call any massive diagonal kick) his way down.

The game does have horrible balancing issues. We've covered Shadow, but what about Tails? I'm convinced he's broken. Seriously, hit your opponent with a dash attack which will take them into the hair, and just keep whipping them before they land. Each successful hit buys you more air-time, so once you get your opponent into the air with Tails, they're pretty much finished.

Sonic can be easily spammed as well. The Sonic Wave can kill anyone if Sonic is flashing, even if the opponent has chosen Shot attacks to not hit them because if your right next to the opponent and flashing the spindash of the Sonic wave kills the opponent

Edited by Blaziken

Battle got repetitive due to the ineptitude of the AI. You are not necessarily required to change your strategy much during the story mode and most matches can be breezed through without taking a hint of damage.

Still, Battle ranks as one of my all time favorite Sonic games because I really like the system it uses. Instead of being challenged to winning fights, I work on decimating my opponents in the flashiest way possible. The chase system is a thing of beauty and I still can’t get enough of it. The story was also quite redeeming.

Again, the AI could use a tweak, but there is a small fix for this present in the game. Tails virtual training module (after you beat the game) offers you a real fight. Eventually you’ll get ganged up on 3 against 1 and it can get pretty tough when you basically can’t get hit past round 5 (Ikarga gauge is nasty like that).

The actual customization aspect completely ruins the fighting system. Seriously, Rouge Flight, Cream Ballet and Chao Circle. All three only eat up 45 points and when combined they make you unbeatable. When an enemy comes near you just jump straight up and hover, then you just spam Chao Circle until you touch the ground. You can usually get a KO before your feet even land (except against Rouge), and the only thing Cream Ballet does is allow you to get away quickly through the air. You can sweep the later "3 against you to 10 KOs" rounds that show up towards the end without even getting touched if you go fast enough and juggle correctly.

Also hands down one of the best written Sonic games, everyone is on character and the dialouge actually makes me laugh out loud. The story is also one of the better plot lines, and the mystery of the Gizoid is a real page turner, and the ending? My God, it brings a tear to my eye everytime.

I agree with everything except for that. Most of the characterization is spot on, but Amy is so far Flanderized that she practically reeks of a severe mental disorder.

Edited by Tornado

I agree with everything except for that. Most of the characterization is spot on, but Amy is so far Flanderized that she practically reeks of a severe mental disorder.

In my opinion she became Flanderized in SA2, completly forgetting her arc in SA1, and as such I've just accepted Amy as nothing more than a love sick puppy.

Edited by FTA

In my opinion she became Flanderized in SA2, completly forgetting her arc in SA1, and as such I've just accepted Amy as nothing more than a love sick puppy.

There is a difference between being the stalker with a crush (which is how she is normally portrayed) and completely losing all sense of reality and acting like a complete schizophrenic. In Sonic Battle she acted like the latter to a truly appalling extent.

Edited by Tornado

Any special attack kills anyone if the attacker is flashing.

Not true. At the power select screen you get 3 choices, Shot, Power and Trap. The first one you choose is the one you use on ground, the 2nd one you choose is the one you do in air and the 3rd one is the one that you'll block instantly if your hit by. If you chose to block trap and was then hit by a flashing bomb left by someone you'd block it and you'd flash instead

I love Sonic Battle. I bought it used at Gamestop way back in '05 for $25 used, and it is so fun. I never got through the entire story mode (I stopped somewhere in Tails' story and never finished it), but I love playing the other modes in the game. My favorite characters to use are Sonic, Tails (mainly because of his attack where he pulls out the Megaman gun), Knuckles, and Shadow. And also, the music is EPIC, some of the best music in any GBA game.

Overall, most underrated fighting game on GBA. It's still one of my favorite GBA games to this very day.

I was crap at it as I am with a lot of fighters so it was unable to hold my attention that long. I enjoyed the story a lot but the stupid "do a battle, do the same battle but longer" repetition made me lose interest about half way through.

Shame though, it had a good soundtrack, the story, while a bit messed up, was good as a story on it's own, and it was one of the few GBA games that actually made use of the GBA's simple but oh-so-cool-at-the-time 3D capabilities.

the game is awesome truly i agree with everything the topicstarter said

i feel like playing it righjt now lol :P

Lol, I am playing it right now, just started Amys story which has hands down the greatest line in any Sonic game ever, where Emerl goes to Amy, "Your punch got no juice, fool." I laughed so hard, man the scriptwriter of this game needs to write more Sonic games.

Lol, I am playing it right now, just started Amys story which has hands down the greatest line in any Sonic game ever, where Emerl goes to Amy, "Your punch got no juice, fool." I laughed so hard, man the scriptwriter of this game needs to write more Sonic games.

If you thought that was funny...

english_02.gif

english_03.gif

english_04.gif

english_06.gif

Lost in translation, those were.

http://www.theghz.com/sonic/battle/battle.html