Awoo.

Sonic Battle

FTA

Call me crazy, but Sonic Battle actually happens to be one of my favorite Sonic games of all time. XP

I liked it alot, the story and dialogue were pretty good too.

Edited by Future-Hedgehog

I love going back and replaying it. The characters I use most are Sonic, Tails, and Amy, because I love their movesets.

The story was pretty good, and the fights, while repetitive, are still fun in small doses.

While the characterization was more often then not pretty off (Amy and Knux were cranked up to 11 in their respective personalities) – the story behind Sonic Battle is great. To be honest, Battle kick started the lineage that Rush continued in terms of weaving a quality tale (it probably has something to do with text. There is so much more interaction and speaking in Battle and Rush than normal). Everything about the path Emerl had to follow was told so well, it was easy to get attached to the little guy.

If you can’t tell already, I am a big fan of this game. The battle system is fun and frantic and a bit more complex than people give it credit for. The weak-ish CPU doesn’t push you very hard to utilize the full potential of the customization system, but its all there for people who want to pursue post-story shenanigans.

I put so many hours into this game. I couldn’t guess how long I spent in the simulator looking for those “awakened” cards to re-build my own version of the final boss Emerl.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Sonic Battle is my favorite GameBoy Advance Sonic game with Sonic Advance 2 as a close second.

[...]

Why do I like Sonic Battle? It's pretty simple. I've always been one that enjoyed fighting games and participating in free for all arena battles like those found in the Super Smash Bros. and Power Stone games. Combining the appeal of those games with characters from my favorite game franchise ever was a recipe for success from the get go as far as I'm concerned. The skill card collection and customization system was just icing on the cake really. I also really enjoyed the narrative.

It was hard for me to not fall in love with Emerl as a character based on the events that took place in the narrative. Seeing him evolve and gain a true sense of self by learning from others around him was a real treat. The skill card collection and customization system made the game incredibly addicting.

The quest to gather each and every single skill card by collaborating with friends, trading skill cards through link cables and sharing our skill builds for our respective Emerls, seeing how they compare and contrast with each other.. Then finally pitting our customized Emerls against each other to fight for ultimate supremacy.

My god, I love this game.

Edited by Chooch

Sanic Battle 3DS pleeze sega? kthx ps bost2win

I really do love Battle. It's got flaws, but when one looks past them, you can find a really fun game.

I liked how the characters of Sonic were given a defined world to live in and interact, and that Emeral was basically the player himself, who had to learn about Sonic and his friends one by one. Each getting to know them greatly.

I like how the game showed the characters living in their daily lives, with Amy having a plot thread about losing weight and exercising, to Rouge owning her own club, and Sonic just hanging around Emerald Town with his best buddy Tails. It really humanizes the characters in a way that I would like to see more often (kinda like how the opening to Generations showed the characters in a chilled state, just being casual and having a good time).

Emerl was a joy to play as and his ultimate fate really tugged on my heart string, more so than Gamma ever did. You got to see his character literary grow throughout the progression of the game, from a simple minded, weak robot who couldn't take care of himself, to a strong intelligent robot that could hold his own, yet still be a goofball.

The gameplay is great to, though like the others have said, the repetitive aspect is really a pain. But the hundreds upon hundreds of customization oppurtinites for Emerl, more than make up for it.

So yeah, as Chooch said, I really do love this game. It's one of those nostalgic games from my youth that I can remember fondly along with Heroes.

Also, this wonderful piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjAznhzItjc&feature=related

Edited by Soniman032-

Also, to me, it was the last game that I actually enjoyed to see Shadow in. Until Generations and Free Riders, he was just meh.

Sonic Battle was one of my first Sonic experiences on a portable system. I bought it when it first came out, and I played it almost non-stop, even when my uncle was back and forth towards the hospital, I played that game until the last data was obtained...I need a new Gameboy.

..I never finished this game, the tedious battles bored me too fast. But the little time I played it I had so much fun with it, especially playing Multiplayer with my friends(Which is rare with a game like this back in the "Link Cable" era).

The Battle system is simple and easy to get into, and Emerl's customization is good because its essentially a create your own character scenario; Combing the different aspects of each character to make your own personalized machine, twas awesome.

The story was pretty good, its mostly presented as a slice of life story for the characters just going through their daily lives(Something we need more of). The writing is a hit or miss with me: On one end, we have character generally interacting outside of their social circles and are able to expand because of it(Never will you get a game where Tails beats Shadow, ever), and each character gets a fair amount of screentime, so nobody overshadows anyone(Aside from Emerl, but he's the central figure in this game, and not Sonic). On the other end, this game is probably the height of Flanderization for the characters, particularly Amy, and Knuckles and Tails to a lesser extent: Amy is all but confirmed to being a psycho in this game, thinking Sonic wants to raise a child with her, threatening to beat up anyone who so much as looks at Emerl the wrong way, and hallucinating Sonic's image...it was truly her lowest point(Probably tied with Free Riders). Knuckles is just there to look stupid and punch things and nothing more. Tails is pretty much a doormat for everyone to walk on.

So yea Sonic Battle, Fun game, Decent story, and Love it/hate it writing.

There's a lot of topics on this game, so I merged them all into one.

And it's still among the worst shit I've ever played in the series. Man, I bitched a lot about this game.

What was wrong with it Sean?

I know its not a tradional sonic game. but it was pretty alright for what it was trying to go for.

Sonic Battle was a travesty in every aspect imaginable. It's probably the worst game in the entire series that isn't a broken mess.

I checked through these topics and saw that I already bitched about it before - my problems with it lie in the repetition (there's like a million fights with Gamma alone) and fake depth (each character has many abilities, yet heavy attack is the only one that gets you anywhere and none of the other attacks are anywhere near as efficient).

Ahhh, Sonic Battle…

Thanks to that game, I learned Knuckles is Native American,

that Rouge owns a suspicious club with hotel rooms in a dark, seedy part of town alla Barbed Wire,

Tails has a wall-eyed house in the shape of his head,

Eggman has the patience of a flea,

Amy has giant pictures of Sonic printed onto her carpet,

That being a pacifist means standing around like a deer on a highway while you and your friends get the tar beaten out of them,

Canonical implied romance between Shadow and Rouge could be mistaken as a prelude to an R rated slash fic,

Doesn’t matter if a character is ten times faster and stronger than you, you can always spam the sonic wind move and the AI will do the rest,

And that the water god of destruction returning from the grave is just a normal, everyday occurrence in the messed up Sonic universe.