Awoo.

Concerns?

Blue Blood

Badmappingandtextures-1.png

See all that? Looks pretty naff. I'm wondering if that's just cause things are under construction still (like Sonic having a painted on mouth in early Unleashed shots) There's also the oddities with low quality textures elsewhere. Seeing as everything else is looking damn perfect so far I'm not all that bothered, but though it was worth a mention anyway. Anyone else got any concerns yet?

Modern Sonic gameplay looks empty, kinda like Rush. Unleashed and to a certain extent Colors, were not that empty, the change of pace changed more quickly within the gameplay in those games, where as in Generations it's alot of boost, on barren straightaways.

I'm concerned half the game will be the mediocre Unleashed style of play, and the previews/videos are just confirming those fears.

Also, Sega will find a way to shoehorn in Blaze the Cat and Suck the Cock and whoever in gameplay sequences that go against the flow of the game.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 4

For now, I'm just sorta concerned about Classic Sonic's voice. (YES, a voice acting concern, I know, I know...) I would really prefer if he didn't have a voice at all, but I'd settle for a Jaleel White-esque voice. All in all, I just don't want a Modern Sonic, Rodger Craig Smith voice for Classic Sonic's... I can't be the only person to think it would just seem very awkward.

I'm really concerned about Modern Sonic's gameplay. Maybe if they improve the level design and controls it'll turn out good, but I never like the Unleashed style from the beginning. So that's my only concern.

Ah yeah, I noticed that too. Definitely something to keep our eyes on. But uncurling or no, the classic gameplay is doing everything better than S4.

My only concern?

That I will be unable to fight through the rabid crowds to get my hands on this gem :lol:

Its a bit too early for me to start airing concerns, but I do hope they address the hiccups in the engine. Unleashed ran smoothly (save for two instances) but any time you can knock off a second or two off the loading time, you need to buckle down and do it. Colors loaded remarkably fast, I expect a similar performance from stronger hardware.

(seriously though, I am starting to bulk up now. If it comes down to it, you guys are gonna have to get your own copies over my dead body)

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah yeah, I noticed that too. Definitely something to keep our eyes on. But uncurling or no, the classic gameplay is doing everything better than S4.

Amen to that!

I've gotta say, I'm not that impressed. Modern Sonic looks essentially the same as Unleashed HD Day stages, complete with long narrow hallways to boost through. Classic Sonic, if the physics work right, looks like it'll be Sonic 2 in 2.5D; I'm disappointed that not only are they not even attempting to bring classic into 3D, but that they don't seem to have done anything but the most basic 2D classic Sonic. I guess this might be a necessary first step, but it's one that should've been taken years ago, and at this point it's just kind of dull.

It seems like it'll be an ok game, but just ok; I was expecting (hoping) for more.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Personally I think the gameplay and visuals look fantastic, my only concern is that either there won't be enough levels, or that the game will be too ambitious and wind up falling flat on its ass quality-wise.

Gameplay wise? I have no qualms. UnleashedHD is fine by me, and classic Sonic, uncurling or not, is ace with the right physics. And no I don't mind what seems to be the SA1 style spindash.

Graphically? The eyes. That's about it though. The entire game is pure eye candy.

Graphically? The eyes. That's about it though. The entire game is pure eye candy.

Graphically the game isn't anything too special. Visually it's amazing though. (Does that make sense?) I can see the eyes and mouths looking crap though simply because they're not finished, as though they're adding eye and mouth movements. Same thing happened with Unleashed and Sonics mouth in that game.

I'm not concerned because it looks a helluva lot of fun.

And that's all that really matters.

Yes all the model problems and the textures and all that will probably be fixed by the time the game launches, we've got a long way to go as of yet.

Corridors? So what?, Unleashed HD had empty corridors in pre-release videos, and eventually they were filled out. At the very least it looks like nothing will blind-side you, I hope that remains true for the whole game.

If you didn't like Unleashed and are unwilling to accept its style of gameplay, then this clearly isn't the game for you. As simple as that.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm more impressed with Classic Sonic gameplay then Modern Sonic, to be honest. The whole time I was watching the gameplay footage of C.Sonic I was thinking "Why didn't they make Sonic 4 look like this?". Modern Sonic...meh. I don't have that much else to say about his gameplay. All I can hope that they took what they've learn from Colors and improve on the gameplay and the controls.

Also, Sega will find a way to shoehorn in Blaze the Cat and Suck the Cock and whoever in gameplay sequences that go against the flow of the game.

How dare you. Suck the Cock is the best Sonic character of all Sonic characters. His gameplay has potential and he is the center of all my fan-character shipping fantasies. Take back what you said.

Also, my only concern is people being overly analytical about the game instead of just enjoying it. Which is inevitable.

• Thumbs Up 2

Corridors? So what?, Unleashed HD had empty corridors in pre-release videos, and eventually they were filled out.
And it's still got a lot of running through corridors. You show me a video of Sonic boosting through a linear path with nothing but tissue-paper enemies in it, it does not inspire much confidence in the game.

f you didn't like Unleashed and are unwilling to accept its style of gameplay, then this clearly isn't the game for you. As simple as that.
I see potential in Unleashed's gameplay, but just sitting back and riding on what they've already done with it is not going to work.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

My only fear is that in two years the general consensus of the game will have completely reversed and it'll be considered yet another link in the chain of failure. tongue.gif But seriously at this point in time, no significant concerns. It's playing exactly as I expected it to play, and looking excellent at it too. I think there's where a ton of my hype is coming from at this point; Dat Environment.

Although upon thinking, lemme back it up: Classic Sonic's jump is a bit of a concern. It looks a bit stiff, as in Colors stiff. But that's a niggle I'll probably get used to if it's an issue that makes it to retail.

Also, my only concern is people being overly analytical about the game instead of just enjoying it. Which is inevitable.

We've been burned before, what you expect? But you know, people are analysing everything so far haven't found anything seriously have a problem with beyond gameplay styles, which is perfectly fair enough really.

We've been burned before, what you expect?

I expect you to be all smiles and giggles and rainbows and lollipops and puppy dog tails. That's what.

• Thumbs Up 1

And it's still got a lot of running through corridors. You show me a video of Sonic boosting through a linear path with nothing but tissue-paper enemies in it, it does not inspire much confidence in the game.

I see potential in Unleashed's gameplay, but just sitting back and riding on what they've already done with it is not going to work.

It doesn't look like they've just sat back and rid on Unleashed's successes. For one thing, its not the Rings that fill your guage, which is hugely beneficial.

Usually the first couple stages (which are the easiest) allow you to blaze through, but I doubt later levels are going to be just as easy and 1-dimensional.

Jungle Joyride was by far one of the best stages in the game (both visually and gameplay wise), there were moments where you could risk going fast and areas where you had to deliberately slow down and platform.

Sure you can get through by boosting the whole time, but you have to be good at it first.

if I was forced to hold "X" for 5 minutes

That's exaggerating. If you did that in any Daytime stage in Unleashed, you'd get nowhere fast.

• Thumbs Up 2

It all looks a bit "ping pongy, run for a bit and bounce on a spring, flail you to the next section of straight running". The sort of thing we were seeing in Unleashed and lesser so in Colours. They just need to branch out a bit, look at all the 3D Sonic Fan-games, they let Sonic run and spin for miles of free and open land. It's just feeling like a long corridor again which is unfortunately all too obvious from the videos we've already seen. At least Colours made it feel less obvious so I think it may be to do with the way the Hedgehog Engine works. It just makes me miss Sonic Adventure's playstyle; still linear, but felt like you were really open and less squished inwards.

Oh and I also noticed those graphical things, there's a few textures that look a bit fuzzy and unfinished really, as well as the Sonic's themselves. I imagine this'll be finished though, doubt they'll let another '06 happen.]

While i'm at it I might as well add another petty concern. The Boost! Oh my god, no! It looks like it's just spam the 'X' button again which was the worst part of Daytime Unleashed. I loved the Boost in Colours though, it was a really useful ability but you had to work for it.

I think my main point in all this is that they take Unleashed Day and all the bits they did right with Colours, mix it in with a bit of Adventure openess = perfect. The worst they could do is just go back to Unleashed and forget all the good they did with Colours!

Edited by Wordy

Now that the hype has worn off, I'm a bit miffed at C. Sonic, I mean I hope the level layout is different because If I wanted to play Green Hill Zone, I'd go play Sonic 1.

I've got really nothing to say about M. Sonic considering I have YET to play Unleashed HD.