Awoo.

Concerns?

Blue Blood

If Sega wants to honor Sonic for his 20th anniversary, then Sonic 2006 needs to stay the hell away. It's like throwing a birthday party and inviting the guy who pissed in the drinks and took a shit on the cake the year before.

No its nothing like that.

Considering how they improved City Escape so much, I have no doubt that whatever stage they choose from Sonic 06, will be modified and improved enough so that it isn't broken. They aren't just going to copy the level design and graphics wholesale.

This game is supposed to be honoring Sonic's entire history, and I got news for you-- that history ain't perfectly pristine. =P Not only should 06 be put in on that principle alone, but it's actually got some decent level design and cool locales that they could really work with and take advantage of.

And Kingdom Valley was memorable. Very memorable, as well as Crisis City. Others would also throw Radical Train in there.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 1

What I mean is that I don't think anyone really wants to be reminded of the literal piss-drinks and shit-cake. Even Sega themselves has seemed kind of apologetic of Sonic 2006 in the last year or two. Besides, did that game really have any memorable levels? Wave Ocean was alright in concept, but we already have Green Hill Zone and they don't usually do more then one tropical-themed stage per game.

Kingdom Valley had a very unique aesthetic. Crisis City or Flame Core could work as the regular lava level.

At the end of the day, its just a name, because Sonic Team seem to be taking a lot of liberties already, and I think they'll take even more liberties with levels that people hated because they were in the worst put together Sonic game ever.

I'm not going to lie; I would like to see how Sega handled an updated version of Kingdom Valley and maybe even Crisis City. On the other hand, though, I think acknowledging that game in any way would make entirely no sense from a continuity standpoint. I know story has never been a real focus of the franchise, but that's exactly why I think '06 needs to stay away--It symbolizes Sega's attempts to give a Sonic game the kind of plot you'd see in a JRPG and falling flat on their faces with terrible writing and by contradicting established character backstories. Oh and it erased itself from history.

So yeah... I mostly want it ignored for story and continuity reasons. >_>

Well, we're just going to have to chalk that up to disagreement then. Personally I just thought that the tone, setting, and feel of that game were just so un-Sonic like that there's no way I'd consider putting them in an Anniversary game if it was my choice. But it's not. Though I forgot about Kingdom Valley, that one's a bit more fitting.

But even so, I still find it unlikely that we'll see anything of Sonic 2006 in here. Yes, obviously Sonic has other bad modern games, but this one is typically considered to be the worst of the worst. We don't know how many levels from each era they're pulling from. As far as the modern era goes, we already know about Spagonia and City Escape, nothing is stopping them from taking something from Sonic Colors or any of the Advance/Rush games. (Not to mention, who says we can't have more SA2 and Unleashed levels?) People tend to forget that there were plenty of well received games during the modern era, and honoring the ones that almost no one liked just doesn't seem like the right way to go about a birthday celebration to me. I'm not saying the game needed to get a perfect Metacritic score to get considered, I'm just don't think we need to honor the games that even Sega themselves seem kind of ashamed of. It's kind of like turning the birthday party into a roast halfway through, and not even one that's in good spirits. Does this mean all levels from the completely panned games should be excluded? I guess not, but I still think there's far more memorable stages to choose from all across the board. Music Plant? Aquarium Park? Chun-nan? Egg Fleet? Pumpkin Hill? White Jungle? (Especially) Speed Highway?

Edited by Speederino

Whats wrong with Colors level design? At its best, some of its stages are up easily up there with some of the Genesis stages(Sweet Mountain 3, most of aquarium park). And with classic mechanics and slopes, I don't see where the issue is. As long as no blue or yellow Cubes show up, its not a bad thing at all IMO.

Colours 2D sections were composed mostly of floating, rectangular platforms and had very little to make them look like something out of Sonic game. They were very generic to the platforming genre. For one level in a game it's fine (differentiation and all that) but all of Colours' 2D sections were composed like this. It's not only dull, it's also very unlike the Classic games.

How about the fact that the game is about 6 months away from being released, yet for the 3DS version, they're still deciding what stages they want to put in? Like, seriously? Again, the release is 6 months away. For real, fuck the 3DS version. I really wish they'd just cancel it. :|

I... don't think they are still deciding. It's just the way it was worded, or rather translated even.

Edited by Blue Blood

Again, the release is 6 months away. For real, fuck the 3DS version. I really wish they'd just cancel it. :|

Or you could just not buy it, some people might actually be interested.

Anyway...

After much thinking my biggest concern about Generations is this; the boxart is really boring, lifeless and does nothing to make me want to buy it.

After much thinking my biggest concern about Generations is this; the boxart is really boring, lifeless and does nothing to make me want to buy it.

Say what? The boxart is awesome!

tumblr_lmjbee66ZT1qeer8jo1_500.jpg

Perhaps they could colours the shapes at the bottom (like in the logo) and add some colour to the zig-zag cut out sections, but it's some seriously awesome boxart. Actually, why so early with the boxart? June? We never get it this soon.

Say what? The boxart is awesome!

tumblr_lmjbee66ZT1qeer8jo1_500.jpg

Perhaps they could colours the shapes at the bottom (like in the logo) and add some colour to the zig-zag cut out sections, but it's some seriously awesome boxart. Actually, why so early with the boxart? June? We never get it this soon.

Edited by Tobbii

The 360 one is slighly better than the PS3 one, but it's still bad.

Half the boxart is empty sans the logo, which is dull and doesn't catch the eye. The 3D-note is barely noticable due to its colouring and placement, on the PS3 version it's made more clear but manages to be worse because of that placement which makes the boxart look jumbled together. The lack of colour to the stuff at the bottom when the stame stuff has colour on the logo is simply annoying, too much white is not good unless it's super-minimalism which doesn't suit the style of Sonic, but since this isn't super-minimalism it looks mostly lazy instead.

The logo is slapped on and seems very weird size-wise and placement wise, there's a faint glow on it for no real reason, the same glow has been reused on the Sonic Renders which also makes them look prety cheap. The Sonics are too low, they should be the focus of the box and therefore be more in the middle then they are now. The logo is off centre and the concept of restoring the colour to the world doesn't work well when they two characters are running from the very few parts that are colour back into white nothingness.

Nit-picking? Absolutely, but that's my thoughts on it.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

The PS3's boxart is exactly the same. Except with the PS3 banner at the top and the different 3D logo.

I don't see how the exact same thing can be worse?

Also those banners under the logo could do with being Coloured.

EDIT:

Also, it could be a placeholder for now. They have basically 5 months to change it.

Nope, the logo is smaller on PS3 and looks worsly placed than the 360. The different more obvious 3D logo therefore looks weird in its place since it would fit in the upper right corner instead.

For the record, the 3D bit is placed differently on the PEGI boxes.

SOG360.jpg

It's defo not a placeholder though.

SC_WII_PACK_FRONT_lrg.jpg

Edited by Blue Blood

Actualy it can still be a placeholder, remember Mass Effect 2?

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

No. And remember this is SEGA. We've always gotten one official placeholder box (solid colour background with logo) and then the final box.

This was Mass Effects 2's Temp Boxart:

*IMAGE*

I do remember this is SEGA, the company that changes its ways of doing things pretty much constantly. Also, Sonic and the Secret Rings had a proper CGI placeholder if I can remember right.

Edited by Blue Blood

And I don't think it is a placeholder, I just wish it was.

You can make the white world interesting, the problem with the boxart is that it's unappealing and lazy.

I really hope Sonic Generations has an extremely thorough tutorial, because apparently the concept of the boost is a bit much for some:

Someone needs to tell this guy you don't tap the boost button, you hold it. The player in the IGN Unleashed review did the same thing, which, well, is obviously going to make things a whole lot more difficult.

Oh fuck, just thought. Rooftop Run is confirmed. Jun better not ruin the awesome music with extreme guitar. I love how for the most the most part the guitar in the original track was secondary to the violins (or whatever string instrument they may be).

Edited by Blue Blood

I think My Chemical Romance is doing the music, or at least City Escape. Either way, that is a concern. Rooftup Run is one of my favorite Sonic tracks ever.