Awoo.

Concerns?

Blue Blood

Well, my concerns are

- The story. Will it be good, will the humor and dialogs be good or god awful like in colors?

- The other characters. Looks like we won't be able to play as any of them. AGAIN DAMNIT! So..I hope to at least see of them involved in the story somehow. And NOT just Tails, Knuckles and Amy. I want to see modern characters. Almost all of them deserve to be mentioned.

- The CG cutscenes. How many of them will be there and how long will they be? Will they be as epic as they were in SNG and Unleashed or kinda boring like in colors?

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

It doesn't look like they've just sat back and rid on Unleashed's successes. For one thing, its not the Rings that fill your guage, which is hugely beneficial.
It ain't worth much if they don't change the rest to work with it. Even then it's only a small part of the problem. And Colors did it too, so you can count that under "what they've already done".

Usually the first couple stages (which are the easiest) allow you to blaze through, but I doubt later levels are going to be just as easy and 1-dimensional.
Even the first few stages shouldn't be that one-dimensional.

IMO it looks more like Rush then Unleashed.

... how is that possible?

Now that the hype has worn off, I'm a bit miffed at C. Sonic, I mean I hope the level layout is different because If I wanted to play Green Hill Zone, I'd go play Sonic 1.

Surely you can tell from the videos AND what's written in the previews that the levels are totally new? Basically we're just getting a new GHZ.

• Thumbs Up 1

... how is that possible?

Surely you can tell from the videos AND what's written in the previews that the levels are totally new? Basically we're just getting a new GHZ.

That's all well and good, but I want some new levels too.

Now that the hype has worn off, I'm a bit miffed at C. Sonic, I mean I hope the level layout is different because If I wanted to play Green Hill Zone, I'd go play Sonic 1.

You do realize that only the first 30 seconds of the stage are GHZ, and even then only vaguely?

That's all well and good, but I want some new levels too.

Fair dos. I'm not sure we'll be seeing any. Maybe the final level will be brand new? But yeah, this is definitely going to be made up almost entirely of oldies.

Edited by Blue Blood

Fair dos. I'm not sure we'll be seeing any. Maybe the final level will be brand new? But yeah, this is definitely going to be made up almost entirely of oldies.

Ehh, I hope so. I like Nostalgia and all, but I like some originality too.

It all looks a bit "ping pongy, run for a bit and bounce on a spring, flail you to the next section of straight running". The sort of thing we were seeing in Unleashed and lesser so in Colours. They just need to branch out a bit, look at all the 3D Sonic Fan-games, they let Sonic run and spin for miles of free and open land. It's just feeling like a long corridor again which is unfortunately all too obvious from the videos we've already seen. At least Colours made it feel less obvious, I think it may be to do with the way the Hedgehog Engiene works. It just makes me Sonic Adventure's playstyle; still linear, but felt like you were really open and less squished inwards.

Oh and I also noticed those graphical things, there's a few textures that look a bit fuzzy and unfinished really, as well as the Sonic's themselves. I imagine this'll be finished though, doubt they'll let another '06 happen.]

While i'm at it I might as well add another petty concern. The Boost! Oh my god, no! It looks like it's just spam the 'X' button again which was the worst part of Daytime Unleashed. I loved the Boost in Colours though, it was a really useful ability but you had to work for it.

I think my main point in all this is that they take Unleashed Day and all the bits they did right with Colours, mix it in with a bit of Adventure openess = perfect. The worst they could do is just go back to Unleashed and forget all the good they did with Colours!

Wide open spaces doesn't mean good.

I've played some of those 3D Sonic fangames. They're just wide open deserts with a few objects thrown in between and a grassy/beachy texture thrown on it.

That doesn't make for interesting gameplay because nothing is going on, you're essentiallu just wandering around to the end of the level.

Its all well and good saying something like that, but its much more difficult to actually make a level like that, that doesn't eat up resources like a bitch and to actually fill all that space with some good level design.

Honestly, I much prefer the streamlined approach from unleashed rather that just enormous cavernous spaces. It means you can cram more level into a smaller space, rather than having to spread it thinly over a wide area. I guess the real solution is to have several really wide corridors linked together, but again, easier said than done.

And another thing, Adventure wasn't open in the slightest. It only looked like it was. In actuality there was only a defined path you could follow to the end. Unleashed does pretty much the same thing, but because you're moving so fast through it, it just seems much more obvious and jarring.

Making a great 3D Sonic game is certainly not easy.

Generations looks like its starting to make the push further, but its going to take a while, before Sonic Team gets a handle on this.

• Thumbs Up 4

My concerns aren't major. For Classic Sonic, it looks perfect, like solid gold, but I hope they get the physics down to a tee. No Sonic 4 bullshit.

For Modern Sonic though, now we've got some problems. For one, Green Hill Zone looked INSANELY linear for him. I really hope his 3D sections really open up, with a good amount of open space and branching paths. Think Adabat, or Eggmanland, but fleshed out for all the levels. I'm just hoping that Green Hill is like a tutorial of sorts, so it has an excuse to be so closed in. Also, I hope the frame-rate doesn't crash and burn on the later levels like in Unleashed. I also hope that they moveset mirrors that of Unleashed, not Colors, and that they find a better way to implement the drift, maybe by using the shoulder buttons, rather than mapping it to the same button as the slide. Lastly, I want to have some degree of control of when Sonic can stop and go, rather than just going along for the ride most of the time.

But I think that does it for me. After what I've seen, I'm really not feeling picky.

Edited by EXshad

My main concern? LOL SONIC ONLY again.

I'm getting a little tired of it.

Well we've assumed that C. Tails, and C. Knuckles will get 2D gameplay like C. Sonic

While Shadow seeing how he's the only one I can see fitting in the M. gameplay, he get's M. Sonic's gameplay.

I would at least prefer it if they made the paths at least moderately open, but make the area your running in very wide and expansive, giving the feeling of running around in a wider plane. A good example of this is Titanic Plain in Black Knight. The entire game is on rails, but the wide open scenery makes it feel less claustrophobic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm concerned with what looks to be uncurling at 0:40: in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmN0Z6GAfj0&feature=player_embedded

I THINK I may be able to put your concerns at rest here- there were 2 bits of video cut together there. Doesn't Sonic uncurl when he's running anyway?

*thinks* Wait. Actually, that shouldn't make a difference, should it? ...Er, could you uncurl by pushing UP in the old games? I don't know...

Either way, there's no sign of it during jumps, so that should be more or less okay, right?

Since I know the game isn't finished I wont attack the gameplay or graphics. My only concern is the stages. We get the old school, Adventure (SA1, SA2, Heroes, SHTH and the handhelds?) and then the modern ones (Sonic 06-present I'm assuming). A good chunk of the modern ones were story book stages right? Meaning we may get some straight BS stages ripped from them?

SKY SANTUARY SEGA. YOU BETTER ADD THIS IN THE GAME OR I WILL FLY TO JAPAN AND RING EVERYONES HEAD AT THE CORPORATE OFFICE.

Since I know the game isn't finished I wont attack the gameplay or graphics. My only concern is the stages. We get the old school, Adventure (SA1, SA2, Heroes, SHTH and the handhelds?) and then the modern ones (Sonic 06-present I'm assuming). A good chunk of the modern ones were story book stages right? Meaning we may get some straight BS stages ripped from them?

SKY SANTUARY SEGA. YOU BETTER ADD THIS IN THE GAME OR I WILL FLY TO JAPAN AND RING EVERYONES HEAD AT THE CORPORATE OFFICE.

Probably. They'd have good enough of an excuse to fill the modern re-iteration with bottomless pits.

Nah I kid. I'd love to see Sky Sanctuary, although I'd much rather hope for Stardust Speedway. All those neon lights, glittery sky and colorful roads, that'd be a dream.

Probably. They'd have good enough of an excuse to fill the modern re-iteration with bottomless pits.

Nah I kid. I'd love to see Sky Sanctuary, although I'd much rather hope for Stardust Speedway. All those neon lights, glittery sky and colorful roads, that'd be a dream.

Why not both? They are from different games. 2 Great stages like this in one MEGA game makes it a sleep over at gamestop thing for me. :)

Just based on what we've seen of Green Hill so far..

Sky Sanctuary would make me piss myself.

Edited by Chooch

Sky Sanctuary would make me piss myself.

Hidden Palace (S3&K)?

Doomsday?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

My other concern is the boost. It's powered up by both the blue stuff shooting out from badniks and rings now?

Edited by Balding Spider

Hidden Palace (S3&K)?

Doomsday?

Those would be absolutely fucking amazing but.. Sky Sanctuary is my favorite stage ever in a 2D Sonic game if not my favorite stage ever in a Sonic game period.

My other concern is the boost. It's powered up by both the blue stuff shooting out from badniks and rings now?

No different to Unleashed.

I love how suddenly everybody hates Unleashed gameplay. This wasn't the case two or so years ago, was it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also I don't believe my view on it has changed much since. I went through a phase where I hated it but that's because I went pure nostalgiafag for a while. Unleashed's daytime stages have almost always been a blast to me, as they've always given me the feeling of a true adrenaline rush while playing a video game (that isn't one of the classics). Eye candy + speedy platforming and reaction tests = win.

and for the record, Colors' gameplay to me sucks in comparison to UnleashedHD's.

:P

• Thumbs Up 7

I've always liked Unleashed personally, but I usually had to keep in mind to look past some very clear design flaws which I wouldn't have minded so much until Colors came along and in my opinion, gave me more bang for the buck.

I guess there's always something to be critical about in retrospective towards many games and why sequels exist to improve upon things that could have always been done better.