Awoo.

Concerns?

Blue Blood

That's fair, but you could make the argument that that makes airborne enemies less of a challenge then.

What? No you can't. You still have to aim to hit them and do your best to avoid any projectiles. If you instantly uncurl you can get hit in the face no possible way of avoiding it. Heck, in S4 not even the HA could save from this sometimes.

What? No you can't. You still have to aim to hit them and do your best to avoid any projectiles. If you instantly uncurl you can get hit in the face no possible way of avoiding it. Heck, in S4 not even the HA could save from this sometimes.

Eh. Airborne enemies in Sonic have never really afforded me much if a challenge in ramped up freefall. The only ones I ever hit were the odd, once in a blue moon laser blast from a Buzzbomber, and that hurts you no matter what form you're in. Every other example like Neutron, or Orbinaut, or Bubbles were more threatening when faced head on.

My concern? It's not uncurling or physics problems (it's Sonic Team doing this, they know how to make a good solid physics engine [barring 06] unlike Dimps). It's not that they'll suddenly decide at the last second "hey, we need another character...BIG THE CAT". It's not even that they'll introduce some crazy gimmick at the last second.

It's that our fanbase will just be too nitpicky over the game and not enjoy it for what it is, despite it being basically the 3D Sonic game that we've been asking/begging for for the past 10 years or so.

I think some people are just being too technical about it (same thing happened with Colours). Is it not possible to just enjoy (modern) Sonic games for what they are now (i.e. what Colours and half of Unleashed was)? A fast paced game that gives you a sense of speed not found in any other platforming game with lush visuals, an awesome soundtrack, pretty nice level design (a nice mix of super fast and linear levels to ones with a bit more careful exploration) and a cocky blue hedgehog that we can't help but love....

Ok that last bit is highly debatable but I think you get the point...

• Thumbs Up 2

Hm. I'm not sure where else to put this, but I'm potentially concerned about the framerate. If you remember, Unleashed 360 was capped at 30fps and dipped below that every now and then. Unleashed PS3 on the other hand was allowed to run at 60fps and it fluctuated all over the place as a result. I wonder what they'll do this time. 60fps would be lovely, but if it fluctuates like Unleashed PS3 it's better of being capped at 30.

Eeeh, double post, but it's an update. A very nice one.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=833

''Classic Sonic has his own set of distinct physics, which are closer to the classics than anything since - including Sonic 4: Ep1. It's not based on Colors.

I can also confirm for you that pushing down while running as Classic Sonic will take you into a spin. ''

---

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=860

''We've been listening to feedback for longer than you may give us credit for. All that feedback on Sonic 4 - the parts where people wanted Classic Sonic and physics closer to the originals - and now a game shows up with Classic Sonic and physics much closer to the originals. Crazy coincidence, right?

This game has been in development for quite some time. When you play it, I think you'll find that a number of key issues you may have had with physics in Sonic 4 have been completely addressed.

Also, I just tested the rolling off ledges bit as mentioned above, and many of you will be happy to hear that you remain in a ball form. And yes, you can also use the classic "hold down+jump" method to rev up your spin-dash.''

• Thumbs Up 3

Eeeh, double post, but it's an update. A very nice one.

.....So why again aren't they doing Sonic 4?

.....So why again aren't they doing Sonic 4?

From the sounds of it, a the classic gameplay in Generations has been developed/modified based on what we said about S4E1. It makes me kind of hopeful about E2, even though it is outsourced to Dimps. It really sounds like people are trying.

There is this one little bit that still concerns me somewhat. At around 39 seconds into the video below, Sonic unclurs off a ramp and launches crazy high into the air. It's exactly the way he behaves with certain ramps and coming out of water in Unleashed and Colours because the height they launch Sonic at is completely scripted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmN0Z6GAfj0&

Edited by Blue Blood

My concern is that the modern Sonic sections will revert to Unleashed HD's gameplay and not have the refinements of Sonic Colors. I just started playing Unleashed HD again after having gotten all 180 Red Rings on Colors TWICE. Holy HELL do the controls suck on daytime Sonic. It's like being Super Sonic or Metal Sonic with none of the perks. No invincibility to cover my crashes, no higher jumping and tigher air control to help slow my falls.

Speaking of Super Sonic. I'm assuming he's present via the same red ring collecting method as Colors, if the title cards are any indication. That would be a good thing. With three straight console releases and two spinoffs in a row, I might actually be able to buy Sonic games without having to spoil myself on everything for a change.

Im just worried about Modern Sonic not being too fun. Something just wasn't fun about unleashed, the only levels I liked were the early game stuff, which was somewhat easy. Once I got passed Spagonia it just wasn't fun anymore.

Other concerns is not representing enough of Sonic's history. Super Smash Bros Brawl, while not quite the same thing, did this with their trophies if you ask me. ( 90 percent of the trophies were from the most recent releases , and EarthBound didn't even get any trophies outside of what was in the game )

I know every game we have has at least one or two enjoyable levels in them. I highly suspect that Sonic Triple Trouble and Sonic 1 and 2 for Game Gear and Master System will get neglected, as well as Sonic Advance. And I suspect we won't see much of the other characters outside of Sonic Tails and maybe Amy if the "just Sonic alone" formula that's been going on ever since 06 formula holds true. ( maybe Shadow if they pay tribute to a level from that game... ) Some people may not appreciate the big cast we have, but I do, and I feel a celebration of the series history wouldn't be that great without more than a small handful of characters, playable or otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can I just say, that I like what I'm hearing about Classic Sonic's gameplay. Here's hoping Sonic 4 gets reworked

Now why can't they just implement these classic physics into Modern Sonic's gameplay? I'm not asking for a direct copy-pasta of the code or to completely rework the gameplay, but I can only imagine that Modern's gameplay would be better enhanced with proper physics.

Modern Sonic is a different kind of Sonic, though. It wouldn't be an improvement, it'd be a change.

Modern Sonic is a different kind of Sonic, though. It wouldn't be an improvement, it'd be a change.

what2.jpg

What the HELL does that mean, and how does that make ANY sense?!

Edited by Black Spy
  • Bad Quality Post 1

This, but only to an extent. It would be an improvement if they made his movements in 2D more fluid and less sticky. It's very hard to change his direction, especially in mid air.

what2.jpg

I think he means that M.Sonic's gameplay isn't built around the idea of clever use of physics at all. It's just getting from A to B as fast as fucking possible. The classic physics could prove to be detrimental to that. His gameplay could use more tweaks and refining, but not changing.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

what2.jpg

Deefrent dimentuns. :U

I KNEW IT. no seriously, the eyelids man, their different. THE EYELIDS. YOU CANNOT DENY THAT THIS MAKES NO SENSE IN A TIME TRAVEL STORY.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

That change will be determined based on fan reaction to this game.

If people end up preferring C. Sonic's gameplay you can say goodbye to almost everything Unleashed started.

• Bad Quality Post 1

All you had to do is look at the games from last year. Colors was a modern game and used the BOOST BOOST BOOST formula from Unleashed whjich evidently is what Sonic the Hedgehog's gameplay is gonna be like from here on (a good choice IMO)

Sonic 4 was a classic game with a modern skin, and stuck strictly to the 2D pinball physics play of old. The fact that it sucked at it is irrelevant.

So yes, at this point, Modern and Classic Sonic are indeed two different beasts.

If people end up preferring C. Sonic's gameplay you can say goodbye to almost everything Unleashed started.

It just means that there will be more classic games.

Edited by Aquaslash

All you had to do is look at the games from last year. Colors was a modern game and used the BOOST BOOST BOOST formula from Unleashed whjich evidently is what Sonic the Hedgehog's gameplay is gonna be like from here on (a good choice IMO)

Sonic 4 was a classic game with a modern skin, and stuck strictly to the 2D pinball physics play of old. The fact that it sucked at it is irrelevant.

So yes, at this point, Modern and Classic Sonic are indeed two different beasts.

I know THAT, what I'm saying is what does that have to do with implementing more realistic physics to the Unleashed style?

I watched the HD trailer posted on Gamersyde and the game seems to have a variable framerate, mostly at 30 fps but at times going up to 60 fps. I think the suspension of disbelief would be better if the game were just locked at 30.

Well, what's "wrong" with the physics? There isn't a roll move, so you can't assess rolling physics, if that's your problem.

I know THAT, what I'm saying is what does that have to do with implementing more realistic physics to the Unleashed style?

Wat. You didn't ask that. At least not in that particular post. I suppose the realistic answer would be that it probably isn't going to happen. Here's hoping for minor refinements like Colors had though.