Awoo.

Concerns?

Blue Blood

What changed your mind? Looks the same to me.

Now that new footage is out like we agreed...I can say some things. If you honestly think that looked the same from the last trailer you are blind man...REALLY blind.

Only thing that bugs me a bit is the 3D sections, but well see in later stages, but for a first stage that represents the very simple streamlined experience of Green Hill Zone M.Sonic looks fucking sick...I have no concerns now and I'ma have fun mastering all the different routes both long way, short way, and whatever other ways to do it. I also saw no Red rings so that means there a bit more exploring to do than we think even.

Classic Sonic looks brilliant and takes a BIG SHIT ALL OVER Sonic 4...

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh my God! That levels is freaking robust! The 2D segments definitely are Colors-inspired!

The only thing I'm concerned about at this point, in terms of the level design for Modern Sonic, is that eventually we see some more open 3D areas. If we can just get that much, I'll be happy, 'cause so far, the 3D seems like Unleashed, but the 2D seems a lot like Colors, which I remember people saying they wanted to see, since Colors' 3D segments were very shallow.

Anyhow, I'm also disappointed with the ranking system. The score is GONE! And there's only 4 rankings. Very, very over-simplified. I preferred the ranking system in games like Unleashed and Colors where speed alone did not guarantee a good rank; you had to build up your score as well as maintain a high ring count to get that S. Now that, ahem, colorful, dynamic system is gone in favor of simply favoring speed-running to get a high score. I can't complain too loudly in the case of Classic Sonic, because he's never had a ranking system applied to his style of gameplay, but when it comes to Modern Sonic.... ehhhhhhh.

Aww well, at least the red rings will give levels some replay value... right? 'cause besides that, it seems the only reason to replay levels is just find the fastest route and get through it as fast as you can, and that takes away almost any reason to slow down and explore the massive level that has been designed for us.

Edited by EXshad

I have two concerns right now.

Spindash with button "while running"

And sonic not losing all rings when hit.

The latter for me is a bit of a surprise, especially since colors did away with it after unleashed. I miss the times where getting hit and losing rings could be threatening (especially at bosses).

Sonic only got hit in the modern portions so far. If they applied it to c.sonic as well, i'll be kind of upset

Classic:

Bounce height from enemies looks the same

No sign of speed shoes invincibility etc

No buzzbomber to bounce of off after the S-tube :(

Ranking seems arbitrary and discouraging for Genesis gameplay

Modern

3D segments still look shallow.

Waaaaaay to easy to fill up boost. Literally everything you do in game fills up the gauge.

While it seems like I'm complaining, I still really hyped.

Classic:

Bounce height from enemies looks the same

No sign of speed shoes invincibility etc

No buzzbomber to bounce of off after the S-tube :(

Ranking seems arbitrary and discouraging for Genesis gameplay

Modern

3D segments still look shallow.

Waaaaaay to easy to fill up boost. Literally everything you do in game fills up the gauge.

Edited by Blue Blood

I was only half serious about the buzzbomber haha.

As for classic ranking, it's just obnoxious and doesn't fit in with classic gameplay at all. SA2 onward, the game encourages you in numerous ways to build score, through the ability to maintain boost, "Radical/awesome etc" from homing attack chains, tricks and more streamlined stages. In the classics you're just doing your thing. When screwing around exploring the stages which I often do, I don't feel like being told "E-rank play the game like its supposed to be played." I never played the old games like that, and its just one element I feel is unnecessary since the scoring will likely be "Beat stage fast and have lots of rings," with no other decisive elements in between.

I'll get over it(since I have too) but its an element I just don't like. And you can't convince me otherwise. Not trying to start an argument, just explaining my reasoning.

No concerns...If I loved Sonic Unleashed and liked Sonic 4, then I'll be on Sonic Generations like a dog and his bone or a mouse and his cheese!! ;)

You know, based on what we've seen so far, I think there's every chance that Generations might just be the best Sonic game to date. A bit early to say for sure? Absolutely. But it's really something special. Whatever concerns I may have are only minor in the big scope of things.

Edited by Blue Blood

You know, based on what we've seen so far, I think there's every chance that Generations might just be the best Sonic game to date. A bit early to say for sure? Absolutely. But it's really something special. Whatever concerns I may have are only minor in the big scope of things.

It's possible. I'm in the opinion that Colors was actually damn close to being as good as the classic games.

My concern is that they will be scale back major alt. routes and plattforming and everything to 2d like Colors for M.Sonic. Also hopefully not every stage will be as speed-based as the GHZ for Classic and Modern.

Edited by ChikaBoing

Bold prediction, but I have to agree with you. Not only is the game beautiful, but it looks FUN.

Modern Sonic levels look better than anything we've seen from M.Sonic so far, in my opinion, and the level design for C.Sonic looks brilliant. Yeah, we've only seen one zone, but it gives us wonderful insight into the way the game is being approached. I have very high hopes.

one of those most recent previews that Woun posted brought up an interesting point that has now become a mild concern of mine. that is the much different feel between 2D as classic Sonic and the 2D sections as modern Sonic. After I played Sonic 4 for a while, it was honestly jarring to go back to playing the classics. I am slightly concerned that this issue (albeit to a lesser extent) might present itself when you go right from a 2D classic Sonic level to a modern Sonic level with a lot of 2D sections. After all, it does seem that there will be a good amount of 2D in the modern levels based on the recent GHZ footage.

My other concern, also rather small, is that I would like for some platforming from the 3D viewpoint. I think the best example of this from Unleashed is the Chun-Nan day stage. All those sections with the rotating platforms and spike wheels and what-not. I still want platforming to exist in the 3D sections, and not just have boostboostboost in 3D and platforming in 2D.

I think the best example of this from Unleashed is the Chun-Nan day stage.

Theres also the first part of Eggmanland, Shamar Act 3(provided better control),Adabat Act 4 etc. They obviously have a clue to implement that stuff, hopefully they will.

Edited by ChikaBoing

After watching the new video I'm not that much concerned with the modern gameplay.

However I'm still concerned about the controls of the modern gameplay.

The lack of Act's in the game concern me...Act 1 is Classic, Act 2 is Modern. But DLC can fix that ;)

Anyhow, I'm also disappointed with the ranking system. The score is GONE! And there's only 4 rankings. Very, very over-simplified. I preferred the ranking system in games like Unleashed and Colors where speed alone did not guarantee a good rank; you had to build up your score as well as maintain a high ring count to get that S. Now that, ahem, colorful, dynamic system is gone in favor of simply favoring speed-running to get a high score. I can't complain too loudly in the case of Classic Sonic, because he's never had a ranking system applied to his style of gameplay, but when it comes to Modern Sonic.... ehhhhhhh.

An S rank is now an A rank with a Perfect Run.

The lack of Act's in the game concern me...Act 1 is Classic, Act 2 is Modern. But DLC can fix that ;)

I'd say it's a good thing really. I don't want more filler acts like we saw in Unleashed and Colours (they were especially awful in Colours) and it means they can focus on making other zones instead.

I'd say it's a good thing really. I don't want more filler acts like we saw in Unleashed and Colours (they were especially awful in Colours) and it means they can focus on making other zones instead.

Hmm, good point. But they could have at least made 2 full Acts for both Sonic's...

Hmm, good point. But they could have at least made 2 full Acts for both Sonic's...

Eh, it would have been nice but I was still satisfied with only having one full act in Unleashed. Just so long as they're good length.

Eh, it would have been nice but I was still satisfied with only having one full act in Unleashed. Just so long as they're good length.

Yeah, at least we'll have a massive Zone variety this way. Can't wait to see Hydrocity!!

Yeah, at least we'll have a massive Zone variety this way. Can't wait to see Hydrocity!!

Here's hoping. Add that to my concerns list- I'm worried that we won't see Hydrocity, my favourite level from the entire series. Any water stage will do to be honest (Lost Labyrinth from S4 could be exceptionally awesome), but Hydrocity would just be PERFECT.

Any water stage will do to be honest

You really want Labyrinth Zone?

Nigga...you crazy

You really want Labyrinth Zone?

Nigga...you crazy

Personally, I'd love me some Labyrinth. My favorite zone in the series....

I know I'm in the extreme minority.