Awoo.

So...anyone believe this will unite the fanbase?

CrownSlayers Shadow

So if there's one thing Sonic Team has been aware of for a long time, it's that this fanbase is split. The general groups: Classic, Modern, and Inbetween fans, and the splits can go further than that. I'm not going to list the extra splits, but you get what I'm saying.

So now Sonic Team decided to bring this game out. This game obviously combines that of the old and new, in ways some people either wouldn't have expected them to go, or have protested for them not to go. I should know about the latter, I was part of that group advocating it before. But now that they've went ahead and did it, it kinda sends a clear message to the warring sides: Each side is getting what they want, if you don't like one thing, suck it up.

Basically:

-Don't like Modern Sonic? Fine, you can have Classic Sonic!

-Don't like the new things? Suck it up, we're giving you the old.

-Don't like the Classic designs? Cool, we haven't forgotten you like the new ones.

-Don't like Shadow and new characters? Suck it up, we gave you two games without him. Let their fans enjoy this too. (This is just mere speculation as much as it is to just poke some fun)

Okay, so the last one was out of line. Point being is that, this game is not just to appease one group, so don't act like it should. However, with that said, one could assume that Sonic Team is trying to unify the fanbase they had a hand in shattering. I honestly don't think this is the game to unite the fans. We've seem to have a lot of people who've gone to the extreme with their likes and dislikes to the point that they'll find a way to resist and turn anything that looks like fixing the character into something that makes it look like they're ruining them further. Of course, that's just generally speaking as results like this aren't always a black and white case of "this" or "that".

But while that's said, this game is bringing a lot of the more sensible people together. We all have our preferences, and that dream idea of what Sonic could be, but until the day some of us join Sonic Team to make that a reality (fat chance, I know), we'd just have to take what we get and judge it from there. Everyone's getting a piece of what they want, and are equally sacrificing having what they don't want around from what we know so far and from what we've been told from the the folks at Sonic Team themselves.

But what do you guys think? You think Sonic Team is trying their best to bring us together in fusing the old and the new with this game?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

It probably won't, especially since:

1. There are people who don't like Sonic himself and would rather play as someone else in a main game

2. They gave us the same character twice - whichever way you look at it, it's the same character.

Some people are not pleased therefore all sides are not covered........unless other characters become completely optional later, every fan won't be covered this time around =/

Colors was perhaps the most postively-reviewed Sonic game in a while.

But yet it didn't really please everbody, so how's Generations going to be any different?

• Thumbs Up 2

Colors was perhaps the most postively-reviewed Sonic game in a while.

But yet it didn't really please everbody, so how's Generations going to be any different?

That's a bit of a naive question considering the obvious differences Generations is doing in combining Classic gameplay and Unleashed gameplay. That's how Generations would be trying to be different from Colors.

Of course, that old saying you can't please everybody always seems to be true. But the lengths they seem to be trying seems to say "We want you both to enjoy this together" instead of taking separate routes.

The idea that the fanbase needs uniting or can be united is laughable. People like different things. Sonic's branched off into different kinds of play-styles that are equally relevant to different people.

Some people like the traditional 2D classics. Some people like the more exploration-oriented Adventure series. Some people like the speedy Unleashed style of play. Some people like the speedy 2D Rush series.

You can't make a game that'll combine everything and have everyone like it, unless it's some sort of compilation package where you don't need to play every style to 100% the game. Good luck getting a game like that. Generations is the closest we'll ever get, and it's left out the Rush and Adventure kind of gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 5

That's a bit of a naive question considering the obvious differences Generations is doing in combining Classic gameplay and Unleashed gameplay. That's how Generations would be trying to be different from Colors.

Of course, that old saying you can't please everybody always seems to be true. But the lengths they seem to be trying seems to say "We want you both to enjoy this together" instead of taking separate routes.

Doesn't matter what the game will have or feature, it won't unite the fanbase, period.

Even a string of high-quality games in a row won't silence complaints about the franchise or the fanbase.

It probably won't cause there is actually people who is complaining that Modern Sonic is a playable character in it.

Huh? That guy changed his username page? He he...makes me wonder what Sonic Team actually think of the guy. As long as we've had the internet, I'm betting they saw his page once and decided "Okay, that guy's an asshole. Moving on..."

The idea that the fanbase needs uniting or can be united is laughable.

Wait...so you're saying I'm laughable bring this up? I feel sad now. :(

Doesn't matter what the game will have or feature, it won't unite the fanbase, period.

I was kinda aware of that from the get go, dude...

Ahahaha!

Oh wait, you're serious.

AHAHAHAHAHA

"Unite"?! This is Sega officially drawing the line in the sand. This is giving ammo to every complaint, be it justified or utter garbage, that the classic side has thrown out. This will be seen as the first attack by classic Sonic on modern Sonic. And you think this will unite them! This is the start of the war!

• Thumbs Up 10
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Ahahaha!

Oh wait, you're serious.

AHAHAHAHAHA

Did you read the post where I also said "This isn't isn't the game to unite us, despite them trying" or did you just do that to be assholish towards the title, dude?

• Thumbs Up 3

I think the adventure fans will be the least satisfied.

- Sonic-only AGAIN

- The plot seems to be rather simple AGAIN

- A LOT of 2D AGAIN, even in modern Sonic's sections

The only bright thing is that we'll have some levels from the adventures too.

So, no, I think the game will not unite the fanbase. This game looks like it's made more for the retrofans and unleashed fans than adventure fans.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Huh? That guy changed his username page? He he...makes me wonder what Sonic Team actually think of the guy. As long as we've had the internet, I'm betting they saw his page once and decided "Okay, that guy's an asshole. Moving on..."

Wait...so you're saying I'm laughable bring this up? I feel sad now. :(

I was kinda aware of that from the get go, dude...

No, it's not that it was laughable CSS, it's just that I feel like we discuss this thing everytime a new main-series Sonic game comes out. It's good to hope the fanbase can mature and unite in light of this game marking the 20th Anniversary, but I just keep remembering that wherever there is room to praise, there's also room to complain.

No need to feel sad. :)

>Sonic fans

>United

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldPSITyKlaw

But what do you guys think? You think Sonic Team is trying their best to bring us together in fusing the old and the new with this game?

Yeah, by labeling classic and modern gameplay as two separate entities instead of perhaps taking the good from the classics and the good from the modern and combining them?

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I think it will please the people who don't have too much of a specific Idea of how a Sonic game should be, both 2d(altough they are almost nailing it) and 3d.

IMO I think this might be the last Sonic game in this generation of consoles...kinda closuring of what they have been done, and begin a new concept or a combination of previous styles for Sonic. Just like they had redesign for 6th Consoles, 7th Consoles(Unleashed style) and then 8th gen again.

Did you read the post where I also said "This isn't isn't the game to unite us, despite them trying" or did you just do that to be assholish towards the title, dude?

All for the sake of the joke, man.
  • Thumbs Up 1

No, it's not that it was laughable CSS, it's just that I feel like we discuss this thing everytime a new main-series Sonic game comes out. It's good to hope the fanbase can mature and unite in light of this game marking the 20th Anniversary, but I just keep remembering that wherever there is room to praise, there's also room to complain.

No need to feel sad. :)

Yeah, ain't gonna happen. Classic Sonic's comeback has pretty much led to retro purists saying that modern Sonic looks horrible in comparison, looks like he's "trying too hard to be cool", and needs to be replaced by classic Sonic.

Edited by sonfan1984

As others have said, Generations has legitimized the apparent importance in our complaints about aesthetics and nostalgia, and it's not got me terribly hyped in that regard. I don't hate the classics and I'm going to buy Generations, but I would've been perfectly happy without its gimmick; nostalgia stops being nostalgic the more it is has an impact in your present goings-on, and as far as I'm concerned, there's more important things to fret about than whether or not Classic Sonic ever showed his face again.

This is all Sonic 4's fault. ;;

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah it seems like ever since Sonic 4 is announced, it seems like Sonic's character design is very controversial thing now to the point that his design determines wether a game is good or not. I know there's people who prefer classic Sonic but I don't remember them bitching about Moderns Sonic design this much in the past.

"Unite"?! This is Sega officially drawing the line in the sand. This is giving ammo to every complaint, be it justified or utter garbage, that the classic side has thrown out. This will be seen as the first attack by classic Sonic on modern Sonic. And you think this will unite them! This is the start of the war!

• Thumbs Up 1

Some people like the more exploration-oriented Adventure series.

Edited by ChikaBoing
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Thumbs Up 1

And they're not appealing to the Adventure fans.