Awoo.

Sonic Misconceptions

Dr. Mechano

I thought Julian was his in game name as well until I got hold of the internet.

Before when I used to be in fourth and fifth grade, kids used to think that Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was the Gamecube sequel to Sonic Battle for the GBA. Weird, considering the history behind both games and how the years differ greatly, too. But I guess it's cause of them name.

My friends used to sometimes call it "Sonic Adventure Battle 2" probably because of the way the words were arranged.

But where was Sonic Adventure Battle?! 8U

• Thumbs Up 2

Mobius being the name of Sonic's planet in the older games is probably one of them.

Edited by Chaosmaster8753
  • Thumbs Up 1

My dad thought Tails was Knuckles. Because of a screenshot on "Sonic & Knuckles Collection" had Sonic and Tails on Angel Island.

My friends used to sometimes call it "Sonic Adventure Battle 2" probably because of the way the words were arranged.

But where was Sonic Adventure Battle?! 8U

There was one kid at my school who said that, but would could never convince him otherwise.

Mobius being the name of Sonic's planet in the older games is probably one of them.

See the previous page of this thread. That is a point of contention that is far too open to personal interpretation to actually be a misconception.

That reminds me: One thing that I still see parroted about in arguments is the infamous "Mobius was a Naka mistranslation in Sega Visions of Mobius Strips when talking about Sonic 2."

While it is certainly up for debate where the original games took place in the SoA story, Mobius was a concept that was ingrained in the SoA story long before Sonic 2 came out, and over a year before that interview happened.

Edited by Tornado

-"Eggman" is some new-fangled name that was created for the Adventure series.

-Sonic Advance/Rush/every time Sonic is in two dimensions is "classic" Sonic

-Tails is Sonic's girlfriend(which, to this day, my momma swears to)

Yep.

Sonicaosth.png

Also here:

satamsonic.jpg

And here:

250px-Sonic_Spinball_Box.jpeg

It buuuurns!

The boxart is pretty ugly, but I've always liked his look in SatAM. D: Mohawk quills are weird, but I don't think it was as bad in the cartoons.

Anyway, my misconception... that the cartoon came first and that the Freedom Fighters existed in the games. I got into the series via SatAM, so I didn't realize the games were that different.

Actually the eggpod usually only had a windshield. It was only fully covered when it needed to be (when it would dive into water, lava, oil, etc).

I know one MASSIVE misconception with Sonic:

SONIC DOES NOT HAVE A SURREAL ART-STYLE.

The only Sonic game to have a surreal art-style is one, which doesn't feature Sonic at all. And that is Knuckles' Chaotix.

Having done surreal art myself, I find it to be hugely annoying that people claim Sonic games to have a surrealist art-style, when it simply does NOT.

Sonic games have always had a stylised fantasy art-style, and the only exception is Knuckles' Chaotix, and even that is debateable.

I'm sorry, but checkered dirt and loop-de-loops do not qualify as surreal.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never really got why some people thought Tails was a girl.. I never thought he looked feminine at all.. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

My Dad thinks that every 3D Sonic game is a racing game just because they're 3D and fast.

Go figure.

I know one MASSIVE misconception with Sonic:

SONIC DOES NOT HAVE A SURREAL ART-STYLE.

The only Sonic game to have a surreal art-style is one, which doesn't feature Sonic at all. And that is Knuckles' Chaotix.

Having done surreal art myself, I find it to be hugely annoying that people claim Sonic games to have a surrealist art-style, when it simply does NOT.

Sonic games have always had a stylised fantasy art-style, and the only exception is Knuckles' Chaotix, and even that is debateable.

I'm sorry, but checkered dirt and loop-de-loops do not qualify as surreal.

To be fair, SEGA were clearing thinking on surrealist terms when it came to the Sonic 1 concepts. I mean, those are mindscrews if I ever saw one.

The checkerboard and blocky yet detailed textures weren't done for the sake of pure art - they help emphasise the speed you're travelling and actually act as an in-game measurement of that speed.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, my first Sonic game ever was Sonic Triple Trouble, and I must have been about three at that time... xD I use to actually think Knuckles was a girl because he looked 'pink' and had long hair. LOL! My brother obviously corrected this horrible error, but I actually remained a bit skeptic until I turned about five.

The checkerboard and blocky yet detailed textures weren't done for the sake of pure art - they help emphasise the speed you're travelling and actually act as an in-game measurement of that speed.

Seriously, that factoid there is blowing my mind, Scanners-style.

I mean, OF COURSE, that's where its there from a gameplay design point, but I never...uh...

whoa

I say we start measuring speed in squares to forever remind us of this.

I am probably the only one who read the title from the board hub and thought this was a game. I mean how many Sonic games has there been when they just attached a noun or adjective at the end and call it a game?

• Thumbs Up 6

"Son, do you know how many squares-per-hour you were going?"

But then that would mess up Tails' punny name of Miles Prowler

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard about all the robots being referred to as "Metal" as if they were all the same character. Also these:

Fang being a fox/cat

Espio being a rhino

Amy being Sonic's girlfriend

Tails being a girl and being Sonic's girlfriend

Knuckles being a dog

Sonic games being baby games

Sally(from the show) being a deer and Antoine(also from the show) being a fox

Blaze not wearing pants...(Yep)

It was really interesting reading through all this, there are some things I've never heard before :P

• Thumbs Up 1