Awoo.

Sonic Misconceptions

Dr. Mechano

It's a pun. That's why they aren't seperated.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thinking of Sonic X, I see a misconception regarding Cosmo that holds no ground whatsoever.

That Lucas is her father.

In episode 77, it's outright shown that Cosmo was born after Planet Greengate was evacuated onboard Earthia's ship after Earthia had become a tree. By this time, Lucas had already become Dark Oak and hadn't found Earthia's ship until the Scarship found it, who succeeded in destroying the ship and killing the females on it with the sole exception of Cosmo. So it is totally implausible for Lucas/Dark Oak to have fathered Cosmo.

There's also the fact that Cosmo was directly stated in the Japanese version to have been born from a seed generated by Earthia's tree form, which implies that the females of Cosmo's species reproduce via self-germinating seeds that do not require the male's of the species input and that there is a high death rate amongst developing "Seedrians"

Thinking of Sonic X, I see a misconception regarding Cosmo that holds no ground whatsoever.

That Lucas is her father.

In episode 77, it's outright shown that Cosmo was born after Planet Greengate was evacuated onboard Earthia's ship after Earthia had become a tree. By this time, Lucas had already become Dark Oak and hadn't found Earthia's ship until the Scarship found it, who succeeded in destroying the ship and killing the females on it with the sole exception of Cosmo. So it is totally implausible for Lucas/Dark Oak to have fathered Cosmo.

There's also the fact that Cosmo was directly stated in the Japanese version to have been born from a seed generated by Earthia's tree form, which implies that the females of Cosmo's species reproduce via self-germinating seeds that do not require the male's of the species input and that there is a high death rate amongst developing "Seedrians"

You can blame the dub for that, but I think it might come from the fact that Lucas and Earthia seemed like they were former lovers before he went all crazy, but yeah its pretty implausible.

I can also say with decent accuracy that "Hertia" isn't actually the real name of Cosmo's mother. Her name is never spelt out in the original version, it's only spelt out on her eyecatch card (アーシア/Āshia) and the name "Earthia" would, in all likelihood, be a more accurate romanization than "Hertia"

earthia.png

But then again, some of the translations of names on Sonic X's 3rd season eyecatches could be off. For instance "Molly" was written as "Morry" (They forgot to interchange the R's with L's) and "Lucas" (ルクス/Rukusu) was written as "Luchs"

I can also say with decent accuracy that "Hertia" isn't actually the real name of Cosmo's mother. Her name is never spelt out in the original version, it's only spelt out on her eyecatch card (アーシア/Āshia) and the name "Earthia" would, in all likelihood, be a more accurate romanization than "Hertia"

earthia.png

But then again, some of the translations of names on Sonic X's 3rd season eyecatches could be off. For instance "Molly" was written as "Morry" (They forgot to interchange the R's with L's) and "Lucas" (ルクス/Rukusu) was written as "Luchs"

Engrish?

Whoa, that's weird.

I never even considered the possibility that it could be Hy-DROSS-ity. I always thought of it as two separate words. Hm, which one is the misconception? o.o

Even as a little kid playing Sonic 3 I always thought it was one word and called it Hy-DROSS-ity. It sounds more cool if you ask me lol and even now I still call it that instead of Hydro-City. I think it can be either or but since its one word I think it could have been a much intended pun.

I also remember some guys in my brother's class who claimed they wouldn't be buying Colors because Mephiles wasn't in it.
  • Thumbs Up 2

My brothers say Shadow is Sonic's clone. My dad says that Sonic first appeared on the Atari. My neighbor calls the Genesis a "SEGA" alone, not a "SEGA Genesis" or even a "Genesis" but just a "SEGA". He's the first person I've met to do that.

My life is full of facepalm worthy people as you can see. :lol:

My neighbor calls the Genesis a "SEGA" alone, not a "SEGA Genesis" or even a "Genesis" but just a "SEGA". He's the first person I've met to do that.
  • Thumbs Up 2

My brothers say Shadow is Sonic's clone. My dad says that Sonic first appeared on the Atari. My neighbor calls the Genesis a "SEGA" alone, not a "SEGA Genesis" or even a "Genesis" but just a "SEGA". He's the first person I've met to do that.

My life is full of facepalm worthy people as you can see. :lol:

That reminds me of the old commercial with a high-pitched Sonic in the TV talking to a kid, asking about whether or not he wants to play some SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 1

That there are good 3D Sonic games.

Sonic Colors, SA1, SA2, Sonic Heroes, and soon to be Sonic Generations all say "Hi". There are also others I would mention but I'm scared I might get mauled for it. I'm a bit nervous about Adventure 1 and 2 to be honest...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

earthia.png

A new misconception from me: That season 2 didn't have character cards at the advert breaks. o_o I never saw them in any version I watched.

A new misconception from me: That season 2 didn't have character cards at the advert breaks. o_o I never saw them in any version I watched.

They're all here. Under 53 - 66 and 67 - 78

What I find very curious about Sonic's in episode 78 is that it doesn't list his age when it did in episode 1. I can only think of one reason why; Concerns about the floating timeline in his dimension and the way it ambiguously interacts with the time in Chris' dimension.

In episode 27, it was stated that 6 months passed between the time of that episode and episode 26. In episode 54, it's stated that again, 6 months have passed in Sonic's world. Logically, this suggests that Sonic and the other characters aged by one year if not more taking into consideration more time having passed beyond the two instances of 6 months passing.

I think that the character's eyecatches in season 2/3 took this ambiguity into account and as a result, refrained from outright revealing their ages. Cosmo's age is also unusually not revealed, so instances such as SonicWikia stating that her age is identical to Tails' are unsubstantiated guesses. It's a good guess but it ain't confirmed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of Angel Island misconceptions, what I still can't figure out is why the island is on the ground 4000 years ago at all. What first gave it its lift? Is it not the Master Emerald's energy that supposedly made it float, or did it have something to do with Chaos himself? The first option doesn't make sense, because the Master Emerald was there 4000 years ago too, and as said, there was no evidence of Angel Island floating at that time. The game never really explains it, as far as I can tell.

Speaking of Angel Island misconceptions, what I still can't figure out is why the island is on the ground 4000 years ago at all. What first gave it its lift? Is it not the Master Emerald's energy that supposedly made it float, or did it have something to do with Chaos himself? The first option doesn't make sense, because the Master Emerald was there 4000 years ago too, and as said, there was no evidence of Angel Island floating at that time. The game never really explains it, as far as I can tell.

If I remember right, there's was a story in the Japanese Sonic 3 (Or was it Sonic & Knuckles manual?) that states that a/some deity(ies) came to the island and threw the Master Emerald in the air to prevent it's misuse presumably after the Perfect Chaos incident. However, the rest of the island followed the ME and became Angel Island and both the ME and Island continued to float in the air after the deity(ies) threw the ME into the sky.

I believe in the japanese manual for Sonic 3, it says that Angel Island was "cast into the sky by the gods following a great calamity" (paraphrased :V) as part of some old folklore or something like that. Since Adventure revealed the calamity to be Chaos in a bad mood, it's probably reasonable to assume that any remaining echidnas would likely have used some emerald voodoo to send the island and Master Emerald into the sky for safety (no mention if the Chaos Emeralds were originally going too or whether they had already been scattered).

...And I see that I was already been to the explination anyway :/

If I remember right, there's was a story in the Japanese Sonic 3 (Or was it Sonic & Knuckles manual?) that states that a/some deity(ies) came to the island and threw the Master Emerald in the air to prevent it's misuse presumably after the Perfect Chaos incident. However, the rest of the island followed the ME and became Angel Island and both the ME and Island continued to float in the air after the deity(ies) threw the ME into the sky.

I believe in the japanese manual for Sonic 3, it says that Angel Island was "cast into the sky by the gods following a great calamity" (paraphrased :V) as part of some old folklore or something like that. Since Adventure revealed the calamity to be Chaos in a bad mood, it's probably reasonable to assume that any remaining echidnas would likely have used some emerald voodoo to send the island and Master Emerald into the sky for safety (no mention if the Chaos Emeralds were originally going too or whether they had already been scattered).

...And I see that I was already been to the explination anyway :/

Ahh, so that's what happened. Thanks guys. Surprising how many little gems one can still learn about this franchise.

That Sonic is better than Shadow.

Personal viewpoint man. Personal viewpoint. NOT misconception.

What!? You mean that;

- Sonic has devalued the basic abilities of other characters in battles with them in order to make him look disproportionately more powerful and therefore more of a badass in such a disrespectful way?

- Is unintentionally funny. Like this?;

Screenshot-GCN-PS2-Xbox-ShadowTheHedgehog-2.png

- He's a walking cliche? Don't bring up prattle such as "He's a cool blue dude with EXTREME ATTITUDE!". Sonic single-handedly pioneered that and you know it. Comparitively, Shadow's attempts at looking 'cool' come off as hilariously bad and forced because he utilizes the likes of guns and motorcycles despite common sense dictating that he needs neither.

- Is a God Mode Sue? All of Sonic's abilities stem from his main power of Super Speed. Shadow is extremely unbalanced to the point now that he's basically Sonic V2.0 in games such as '06 and SatBK.

You could say all of my viewpoints on why Sonic is 'better' than Shadow are subjective too but Jesus, at least Sonic isn't a God Mode Sue that revebrates with "badass" cliches out of every orifice with his insistence on the usage of guns and motorcycles as well as having a "been there, done that" tragic, angsty background.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 5

...That Shadow is better than Sonic.

(This post was just a joke, whoever neg-repped me. Just so's you know.)

Edited by DC111
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

That Modern Sonic is an imposter of Classic Sonic.

nosrsly, ever since that article surfaced half of the non-Sonic fans I know started saying that.

• Thumbs Up 3

They're all here. Under 53 - 66 and 67 - 78

What I find very curious about Sonic's in episode 78 is that it doesn't list his age when it did in episode 1. I can only think of one reason why; Concerns about the floating timeline in his dimension and the way it ambiguously interacts with the time in Chris' dimension.

In episode 27, it was stated that 6 months passed between the time of that episode and episode 26. In episode 54, it's stated that again, 6 months have passed in Sonic's world. Logically, this suggests that Sonic and the other characters aged by one year if not more taking into consideration more time having passed beyond the two instances of 6 months passing.

I think that the character's eyecatches in season 2/3 took this ambiguity into account and as a result, refrained from outright revealing their ages. Cosmo's age is also unusually not revealed, so instances such as SonicWikia stating that her age is identical to Tails' are unsubstantiated guesses. It's a good guess but it ain't confirmed.

Off Topic:

60a.jpg

Why does this guy get a eyecatch card!? I mean the guy just shows up for a second.

On Topic:

The misconception that everybody is as fast as Sonic.

Off Topic:

60a.jpg

Why does this guy get a eyecatch card!? I mean the guy just shows up for a second.

On Topic:

The misconception that everybody is as fast as Sonic.

I believe "THE HOBIDON" is that fellow's tribe/colony name rather than his personal name. Says something about the Metarex and a Space Colony in his info. May pertain to the space colony seen in the episode (Episode 60) he was shown in. I can't read Kanji, so I don't know much of the rest of the wording in his info.

But yeah, this guy getting a partial profile is odd. Given his very limited screentime. They didn't even give Cosmo's Adult form an eyecatcher! Inquiring minds want to know about Adult Cosmo! Sonic Retro says that she's called "Blooming Cosmo" but I've never heard of this term used anywhere else.