Awoo.

Sonic Misconceptions

Dr. Mechano

*puts on tinfoil hat*

He has a colour scheme similar to Silver, wears boots and looks like a rodent, i.e. a mink. Silver was originally a mink. He's obviously a very early design for Silver.

*takes off tinfoil hat*

Never watched the later episodes of X, so I don't really have anything insightful to add to that. He does sort of remind me of Silver, but I'm only joking about the above.

Edited by Blue Blood

This is really only a misconception that happens outside of the Sonic fandom, but when I used to read the Archie comics back in college, I'd always get people asking why the characters in it weren't in the games and such. Quite a lot of non-fans seem to think there's only one Sonic continuity. Understandable I guess, but still.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

He has a colour scheme similar to Silver, wears boots and looks like a rodent, i.e. a mink. Silver was originally a mink. He's obviously a very early design for Silver.

*takes off tinfoil hat*

Well, if you want to call skunks, ferrets, stoats, fishers and polecats 'rodents' I suppose you can, but I don't think Wolverine is going to be happy at being called a rat. I'll just stand waaaaaaay over here.

(Minks are mustelids. They're Carnivora. They are much further from being rodents than hedgehogs are, and they have very sharp teeth, bad temperaments, and make nasty stinks.)

However, I won't argue the point that it might have been a mink; the ears and nose are similar (by Sonic-verse standards) and the fluffed chest rather fits, although with the tail I'd always considered them lionoids of some ilk. Kimba was my immediate thought as well.

Edited by Thrippa

Well, if you want to call skunks, ferrets, stoats, fishers and polecats 'rodents' I suppose you can, but I don't think Wolverine is going to be happy at being called a rat. I'll just stand waaaaaaay over here.

Misconception: People think that the term rodent is always used literally to refer to a specific order of mammals, and not simply to refer to any any animal of similar appearance to rats, squirrels and such.

Misconception: People think that the term rodent is always used literally to refer to a specific order of mammals, and not simply to refer to any any animal of similar appearance to rats, squirrels and such.

And this is why it's slightly annoying when SatAM 'buttnik refers to Sonic as a Rodent as well as reviewers who refer to Sonic as a Blue Rodent. Hedgehogs are not Rodents, they belong to an order of mammals known as Erinaceidae.

Porcupines are also NOT related to Hedgehogs in any way. They don't belong to the same animal kingdom order. Porcupines are rodents, Hedgehog's are not.

lolrodent.png

<_<

• Thumbs Up 1

And this is why it's slightly annoying when SatAM 'buttnik refers to Sonic as a Rodent as well as reviewers who refer to Sonic as a Blue Rodent. Hedgehogs are not Rodents, they belong to an order of mammals known as Erinaceidae.

Porcupines are also NOT related to Hedgehogs in any way. They don't belong to the same animal kingdom order. Porcupines are rodents, Hedgehog's are not.

And that's a detail most people, fans or the series or not, wouldn't care about. A hedgehog is, by casual classification, a rodent.

And that's a detail most people, fans or the series or not, wouldn't care about. A hedgehog is, by casual classification, a rodent.

Especially since its mostly used as an insult rather than clarification.

-That SA, SA2, and SB were based off Sonic X (This one makes me really mad for some reason)

-That Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is the original release of Sonic Adventure 2 (Does people forget that the Dreamcast existed)

-That Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic are two different characters (Thank you Sonic Generations -_-)

-That Dreamcast games shouldn't have an era all on it's own and should be thrown with Modern games because their 3D (Last time I checked, the Dreamcast games came out closer to the "Classic Era" than it did the "Modern Era" while it shouldn't be considered classic most definitely not classic as SA, SA2, and Sonic Shuffle came out 10+ years ago)

• Thumbs Up 2

That Modern Sonic is an imposter of Classic Sonic.

nosrsly, ever since that article surfaced half of the non-Sonic fans I know started saying that.

• Thumbs Up 3

In middle school I met a bunch of guys who had a binder full of fancharacters and said that they were real characters

Myths That Need Dispelling:

That you hold right to win. (Because of Hot Crater in SAdv2, the whole franchise suddenly gets this dubious honour. What, did SEGA invent time machines now, and give them to dimps?)

That Yuji Naka = creator of Sonic (It was really a combined effort between him, Oshima and Yasuhara - please correct me on this if wrong)

That extra characters = Insta-fail (extra characters are, in my humble opinion, only really bad if their gameplay sucks, or are forced. If one's true and the other isn't, then it's not so bad. But unfortunately with some Sonic games, both are true.

That "The Problem" is, and always has been, 3D, and that if you wanna fix Sonic just stick to 2D.

NO.

Farming for medals (Unleashed), fishing (SA1), Mad Space (SA2), and a multitude of glitches (lots of sonic games....) doesn't suddenly become fanstastic if played across 2 dimensions.

• Thumbs Up 1

My mother thought Sonic wasn't a hedgehog, but some kind of monster.

She also thought Sonic and Shadow were the same character. The only thing that made her doubtful was... the color of their pupils.

I don't know a single person IRL who doesn't think "Sonic = for babies". Because he's a blue hedgehog who runs at the speed of sound.

I'm also tired of the "Nintendo and SEGA are rivals" / "Mario and Sonic are rivals" / "Mario can beat Sonic" / "Sonic can beat Mario" stuff. I'm both a Mario fan and a Sonic fan so this makes me sad, and I get yelled at by both Mario fanboys and Sonic fanboys. Sigh. The war is over, dammit ! Why can't people grasp the fact the war is over ?!

• Thumbs Up 2

That the rising energy at the end of Heroes' Power Plant stage is lava.

It's energy. The same red stuff that travels through piping at the sides of the energy roads. It can't be labelled as "lava" by any definition of the word.

I've read of another one; The rings on Darkspine's wrists and ankles are inhibitor rings. Darkspine's rings are never acknowledged as being anything in particular, so it's not logical to outright label them as Inhibitor Rings. Yep, Sonic Wikia again.

My mother thought Sonic wasn't a hedgehog, but some kind of monster.

She also thought Sonic and Shadow were the same character. The only thing that made her doubtful was... the color of their pupils.

I don't know a single person IRL who doesn't think "Sonic = for babies". Because he's a blue hedgehog who runs at the speed of sound.

I'm also tired of the "Nintendo and SEGA are rivals" / "Mario and Sonic are rivals" / "Mario can beat Sonic" / "Sonic can beat Mario" stuff. I'm both a Mario fan and a Sonic fan so this makes me sad, and I get yelled at by both Mario fanboys and Sonic fanboys. Sigh. The war is over, dammit ! Why can't people grasp the fact the war is over ?!

Many people continue to live in their childhood.

Chaos Angel is actually an apocalyptic version of Angel Island, though some seem to believe that it's just a ruined temple

Also some people don't get Altar Emerald is just Emerald Altar with the words switched

• 2 weeks later...

"Shadow is Sonic's clone." Heard that alot, Sega did not help the matter by calling him 'a dark version of Sonic' at one point.

Kind of a semi-on-topic misconception.

"Hedgehogs are rodents."

Edited by Mysterics

It's energy. The same red stuff that travels through piping at the sides of the energy roads. It can't be labelled as "lava" by any definition of the word.