Awoo.

Sonic Misconceptions

Dr. Mechano

christheidiot.png

shadowthinkschrisisanidiot.png

IMSORRYSHADOW.png

Oh man! I laughed so hard!

As for misconceptions, whenever I say I like to play sonic, the response I get back is "Sawnik's for babies."

Edited by lounge
  • Thumbs Up 1

That every character ever made in the series is one of Sonic's friends.

Back in their high school years, Sonic and Dark Gaia would play some PS1 together.

On the other hand, Erazor was a bit of a shy one.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 8

Well who knows, that one might end up being true...

You scare me when you talk like that.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

For some reason, many fans think the Dr. Eggman of the Genesis games is a wholly different entity from the Eggman of Adventure and onward, and that the former's true name is Professor Gerald Robotnik, making the current Eggman the grandson of the Genesis games' villain. This is obviously wrong, but where did it start?

Now THAT would be pretty fucking coo-

Nothing about this fanon bit works, least of all that it would make Sonic close to fifty years old.

Uh... nevermind.

Oh yeah, and when I was younger and even more retarded, I had originally assumed that the Egg Robo fighting Knuckles was just a disguised Robotnik.

ME TOO! I always assumed he was wearing a robot mask over it. I mean, there is one random boss where Robotnik himself fights you.

picture proof...in AIZ, you can see that the island's floating in Knuckles' story, while it's at sea level in Sonic's, and the Death Egg's removed from Launch Base, Lava Reef, and Hidden Palace when playing as Knuckles.

I only ever noticed the Hidden Palace/Lava Reef, but managed to completely forget the Angel Island thing. I'm pretty sure I've made the connection, but I've never remembered it.

I used to think the word 'chao' was pronounced "kay-o", thank goodness

That shit is the most annoying one for me.

That every character ever made in the series is one of Sonic's friends.

Well, every character that remotely matters anymore is.

Edited by Black Spy

I had this one cute little misconception when I was little.

I thought that Sonic killed Eggman in the first game, and that his son was the villain in Sonic 2.

...that didn't last too long.

Aside from the "kay-o" pronunciation slip up, I've been fairly well-informed on the series. Always knew there were 7 Chaos Emeralds, knew that the games, comics and cartoons were separate, etc.

The only one I can think of-- assuming it's not entirely tongue-in-cheek-- is the whole genie-alien shtick with the Babylon Rogues. I thought the narrative made it pretty clear that the original race of Rogues were a space-faring technologically advanced civilization that crashed to Earth and simply had a whole bunch of folklore made up about them by the local yokels until the Ark of the Cosmos did them in.

Except in the first one it was made pretty clear that they were descendants of genies then Zero Gravity came along and decided fuck continuity; let's make em aliens! Therefore confusion arises. Personally I prefer them as descendants of genies, makes for a more interesting background seeing as I hate alien plotlines and we already have alien backgrounds for Shadow.

Aside from the "kay-o" pronunciation slip up, I've been fairly well-informed on the series. Always knew there were 7 Chaos Emeralds, knew that the games, comics and cartoons were separate, etc.

Except for the times when there were only 6 Chaos emeralds....or that one time in Fighters where there were 8 Chaos emeralds.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Tails more. I thought the number one misconception was that Tails is a girl. All my non-Sonic fan friends think Tails is a girl, although one of them thought Knuckles was a girl too..... :huh:

Edited by The-Master-Board

Misconception 3 - Referring to all Sonic robots as "Metal Sonic."

This is Metal Sonic: metalsonic.png

These are not Metal Sonic: Silver.gifMecha%20Sonic.gif

Alternatively, referring to Metal Sonic as "Mecha Sonic" seems fairly commonplace too. I think Archie did that once, so that's probably where the confusion started.

I actually always called the Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 ones Mecha Sonic, and Sonic CD one Metal. Did the Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 ones have actual names?

Another (less infuriating) one, in S3&K, Knuckles' story takes place after Sonic's, not during.

I've already forgotten the exact circumstances, but isn't this because of all of the pre-release material for Sonic 4 (and possibly the game itself, but I never cared enough to pay attention) screwed this up as well? I remember something about the Sonic 4 hype caught flack because of something it did to the story of 3.

This made me laugh much more than it should.

I will totally admit that I lost my shit when I saw that.

That Shadow pic gave me a good chuckle.

Anywho....the whole Hyper Shadow fiasco? There were a crap load of people who actually believed that.

I've already forgotten the exact circumstances, but isn't this because of all of the pre-release material for Sonic 4 (and possibly the game itself, but I never cared enough to pay attention) screwed this up as well? I remember something about the Sonic 4 hype caught flack because of something it did to the story of 3.

My mess ups? Thinking the spin attack was a spin dash (and that made me think you could spin dash in Sonic 1), pronouncing "Chao" as "Kay-o", thinking Tails was a girl, and once for 3 days I thought Ryan Drummond had also voiced Shadow the Hedgehog along with Sonic (because Jason Griffith was Shadow along with Sonic, that automatically made me think "Oh! So, if Jason is Shadow, that must mean Ryan was also Shadow!")

As for one's I've seen, the one that drives me up the walls is when people get the name "Sonic Adventure 2 Battle" all mixed up. No people, it's not "Sonic Adventure Battle 2", it's not "Sonic Adventures 2 Battle", and it's CERTAINLY NOT "Sonic Battle Adventures 2" It's "Sonic Adventure 2 Battle", or just say SA2B. And one time, I actually saw someone say that Silver is Amy's and Sonic's kid. I was like, "Uh, what?" That disturbed me. A lot.

I actually used to believe the first two (Knuckles as cousin and Gerald original Robotnik) when I was younger. The knuckles is Sonic's cousin thing goes back to the classic days. Don't ask me where I heard it, I can't remember, I just remember playing Sonic 3 and believing that Knuckles was Sonic's cousin and thought it added a really cool tragic aspect to them being enemies (I didn't play Sonic and Knuckles until years later so I never knew that they stopped fighting).

As for the whole Gerald Robotnik is the original Robotnik that I believed after coming back into the series years later playing SA2 at my friends house. But i didn't play the story mode so I only saw a few cutscenes while my friend was playing so with everyone calling the villain Eggman and with him saying that his grandfather was Robotnik I just assumed yeah ok that's Robotnik from the classic games.

Other misconceptions I've seen are:

Amy was born on Little Planet/Miracle Planet- I even believed this for a short time and thought "Cool! Amy's an alien" (This was before ShTH and Riders mind you. Again I can't remember WHERE I heard this but there's nothing even suggesting Amy was born on Little Planet so yeah.

I've also seen the misconception that Shadow is a robot or clone or sometimes that the Shadow from ShTH is the real Shadow but the Shadow from Heroes is a robot. Can't say I really blame people for thinking this as they never made it all that clear.

1.)I used to think sonic was a dinosaur

2.)A few weeks ago I showed my younger cousin the sonic generations teaser and he thought classic Sonic was modern sonic's younger brother.

3.) I used to think Amy was just sonic dressed in drag.

4.) Chaos emeralds were big jolly ranchers.

I actually always called the Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 ones Mecha Sonic, and Sonic CD one Metal. Did the Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 ones have actual names?

Mecha Sonic in Japan, Silver Sonic everywhere else.

And one time, I actually saw someone say that Silver is Amy's and Sonic's kid. I was like, "Uh, what?" That disturbed me. A lot.

I hear more about Silver being Shadow and Amy's kid.

Whoever the parents, it's no misconception, simply another stock Sonic fanfiction cliche, just like Mephiles haunting Shadow's nightmares and Robotnik being murdered by demonic overpowered recolours. No need to worry about that one.

Oh, I've seen a couple of others, pertaining to the Chaotix.

-Espio being a rhinocerus.

-Espio being a GIRL.

-That they debuted in Sonic Heroes and are modern characters.

...Peh.

Anywho....the whole Hyper Shadow fiasco? There were a crap load of people who actually believed that.

While it's over now, that was the most annoying thing ever. People actually got into heated arguments about it.

While it's over now, that was the most annoying thing ever. People actually got into heated arguments about it.

This is the same fanbase that argues routinely about voice acting.

This should not be too much of a surprise.

• Thumbs Up 2

Except for the times when there were only 6 Chaos emeralds....or that one time in Fighters where there were 8 Chaos emeralds.

The 6 Chaos Emeralds becoming 7 was an early retcon that came one year after the series beginning.

Sonic the Fighters and Sonic Spinball are basically continuity trash, so there were never 8+ emeralds.

The only thing I can think of doing was calling Chao Kay-Oh. And when I first read about Rouge, I thought her name was Rogue.

People really thought Robotnik and Eggman are different people? I was 7 when Adventure came out and I thought it was pretty clear that they were the same person...

And people calling Super Shadow Hyper Shadow always annoyed me.

There was a really funny misconception my father had of Sonic grinding in SA2.

He honestly seemed to believe that Sonic grinded by sitting on the rail rather than using his shoes and even said "His unmentionables must be bloody sore"

I LOL'd.

Well, Amy did do that in Advance.

SonicAdvance.png

1.)I used to think sonic was a dinosaur

:huh:...Why?

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, Amy did do that in Advance.

SonicAdvance.png

Let's not forget Big in Heroes!

sonicheroes_110403_09_640w.jpg

Them spikes, dude. Them spikes.

Sonic the Hedgehog

• Thumbs Up 1

The 6 Chaos Emeralds becoming 7 was an early retcon that came one year after the series beginning.

Sonic the Fighters and Sonic Spinball are basically continuity trash, so there were never 8+ emeralds.

Fighters can almost be explained.

When Eggman shoots the player character with his duplicate ray, perhaps he creates a duplicate Chaos Emerald as well, causing there to be 8 for that one game. It's a stretch, but I like to make sense of things.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fighters can almost be explained.

When Eggman shoots the player character with his duplicate ray, perhaps he creates a duplicate Chaos Emerald as well, causing there to be 8 for that one game. It's a stretch, but I like to make sense of things.

Either that, or Fang was being a little weasel and entered in with a fake emerald or something.

Try making sense of Spinball, though. The emeralds don't do anything, anyway. I bet they're hard candy.

Either that, or Fang was being a little weasel and entered in with a fake emerald or something.

Try making sense of Spinball, though. The emeralds don't do anything, anyway. I bet they're hard candy.

Yeah, 16 blue Chaos Emeralds and giant off-model Eggman don't make a lot of sense. I think it's generally accepted that Mean Bean Machine and Spinball are out of main continuity just for being so impossible to reconcile with everything else. That is to say, they may have very well happened, but in their own separate canon(s) apart from the primary game series, much like the cartoons and comics.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

People still do. I argued with this one nut-case who believed rumor over common sense.

Since then, I've blocked YouTube comments.