Awoo.

Sonic Misconceptions

Dr. Mechano

Spinball is absolutely canon.

Robotnik trolled Sonic by employing a shitload of fake Emeralds and mixing them with the real ones throughout the Veg-O-Fortress. Unfortunately Sonic had a bit of amnesia after being shot off the Tornado and falling into the sea, hence why he assumes they're all real. The very last Emerald was the seventh real one, prompting the base to blow the fuck up. Sonic's memory finally came back fully to him after the ordeal was over.

Also, Robotnik meta-hacked into Giant Land from Super Mario Bros. 3.

And the Emeralds are all blue because the Veg-O-Fortress radiation is some weird shit.

Really, this is easy stuff. I don't know why anyone would get confused over the canon nature of this game.

• Thumbs Up 7

Spinball is absolutely canon.

Robotnik trolled Sonic by employing a shitload of fake Emeralds and mixing them with the real ones throughout the Veg-O-Fortress. Unfortunately Sonic had a bit of amnesia after being shot off the Tornado and falling into the sea, hence why he assumes they're all real. The very last Emerald was the seventh real one, prompting the base to blow the fuck up. Sonic's memory finally came back fully to him after the ordeal was over.

Also, Robotnik meta-hacked into Giant Land from Super Mario Bros. 3.

And the Emeralds are all blue because the Veg-O-Fortress radiation is some weird shit.

Really, this is easy stuff. I don't know why anyone would get confused over the canon nature of this game.

And the radiation made Sonic hallucinate Ricky as a busty babe? It all makes sense now!

What's that? Special Stages? With Scratch and the SatAM cast? Simple - the SatAM cast were already dead, and they "flew" out of their capsules into heaven (the exception being Tails, who was alive but was just using his tails). Meanwhile Robotnik modified his Clucker Badniks so they were capable of marching as if they had robotic constipation.

Duh.

• Thumbs Up 2

I used to think the word 'chao' was pronounced "kay-o", thank goodness

Another misconception I've run across is Knuckles being a girl. I suppose that one does make sense, he has the long "hair" and seems to giggle and flirt with Sonic a bit in his first appearance...

Hey BlazingTales. Is there anyway that you might have a hi-res version of your profile picture with the cartoon version of the promotional art to Sonic Generations? Could you send that to me please? I would appreciate it alot. I've been trying to find a picture like that for days now. Thanks!!! :D

The one that annoys me to no end is the thought that classic Sonic didn't have a story. So the fact that the Death Egg was a big threat for 3 whole games and the fact that Sonic 3 and Knuckles had cutscenes doesn't mean there was a story.

Edited by SBR2

I've heard a few people think that Silver is somehow a distant relative of Sonic or something similar given that he's a hedgehog that hails from the future and such.

Sorry for going off-topic, but this is a stick fan fiction cliché that actually has surprising good reasoning to back it up.

The idea is that Amy doesn't have stupidly poor eyesight, it's that Sonic and Shadow actually almost look identical from the perspective of the characters in-game. For example, if you had a friend that had blue hair, and you saw someone who looks exactly like your friend except had black hair, you'd still think that it was your friend, except they had for some reason dyed their hair. Of course, to us Sonic and Shadow look totally different, but that's simply because we're looking at cartoonish hedgehogs in a video game rather than the "real thing".

The idea then extends to Silver, who also was mistaken by Amy for Sonic. Therefore, Silver must look very similar to Sonic and Shadow, except with spiky white hair. Ergo, Silver is probably Sonic or Shadow's descendant.

Of course, why Sonic and Shadow are look alikes in the first place is another matter entirely...

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry for going off-topic, but this is a stick fan fiction cliché that actually has surprising good reasoning to back it up.

The idea is that Amy doesn't have stupidly poor eyesight, it's that Sonic and Shadow actually almost look identical from the perspective of the characters in-game. For example, if you had a friend that had blue hair, and you saw someone who looks exactly like your friend except had black hair, you'd still think that it was your friend, except they had for some reason dyed their hair. Of course, to us Sonic and Shadow look totally different, but that's simply because we're looking at cartoonish hedgehogs in a video game rather than the "real thing".

The idea then extends to Silver, who also was mistaken by Amy for Sonic. Therefore, Silver must look very similar to Sonic and Shadow, except with spiky white hair. Ergo, Silver is probably Sonic or Shadow's descendant.

Of course, why Sonic and Shadow are look alikes in the first place is another matter entirely...

yeah, but its funnier to say she's blind.

• Thumbs Up 1

As if SEGA even thought far enough to make Silver Sonic or Shadow's descendant.

I'm sure Silver Sonic is Silver's father. He's a robot so we know why Silver can be born so far in the future.

I think it's obvious who the mother is.

Edited by MarcelloF

As if SEGA even thought far enough to make Silver Sonic or Shadow's descendant.

I'm sure Silver Sonic is Silver's father. He's a robot so we know why Silver can be born so far in the future.

I think it's obvious who the mother is.

Heavy or Bomb?

Heavy or Bomb?

Vector. He's quite obviously the stoner/drug dealer, who isn't in a long term relationship with a frog, of the bunch, so it explains the marijuana hair. The reason he lives so long to bare a child in the future is because weed makes you live longer.

Yup.

Vector. He's quite obviously the stoner/drug dealer, who isn't in a long term relationship with a frog, of the bunch, so it explains the marijuana hair. The reason he lives so long to bare a child in the future is because weed makes you live longer.

Yup.

And Espio is the uncle, but Vector never told him they were brothers.

It all make sense.

If they ever tell us how Silver was born they should give us some sort of story where he becomes his own father. And with a new chick, not a currently existing cast member. :P

And now this becomes a long-ass post containing an entire fanfic in it

Anyhow, I just remembered a couple of misconceptions I used to have, or rather misreadings/mispronunciations. I used to call Mephiles "mee-files" and Rouge "Rogue." Fortunately neither of those stuck for TOO long..

Edited by Raxz

Explain the Werehog, then.

The sheer hilarity of the matter is that she actually had it right the first time.

...what do you mean? You just got through defending Amy for mistaking Shadow and Silver for Sonic, because stature and hair color change apparently don't mean anything in the Sonic world, according to you. THEN, I expect you to explain how Amy could possibly mistake a giant bulky purple and hairy monster for Sonic. How, I ask you? HOW?

Your defense needs more work.

• Thumbs Up 2

[...] THEN, I expect you to explain how Amy could possibly mistake a giant bulky purple and hairy monster for Sonic. How, I ask you? HOW?

Your defense needs more work.

This isn't my theory, remember? :lol:

I expect that Amy mistook Sonic for Sonic because he's Sonic and therefore looks like Sonic.

Edited by Unknownlight

Then she said sorry and left, thinking he was someone else. :/

Okay, I didn't realize it was someone else's theory. My bad. X_X

Explain the Werehog, then.

The sheer hilarity of the matter is that she actually had it right the first time.

She saw Sonic earlier in the location during the evening, but only got to him by night, spotting a somewhat blue thing with hedgehog spikes in the dark. By the time she's close enough to see him in that lighting she's closed her eyes to prepare the tackle. No, really, while still somewhat close, she closes her eyes before she gets to him, thus why she doesn't just go "Found you SoniWHAT THE HELL ARE YOU *shove*" the moment she gets there.

As for Silver, it's also night time, and Sonic's near by, so she's obviously stalked him there, then saw a prickly figure standing around. She actually mentions "sensing" Sonic with her "girlish intuition", maybe she has a natural ability to find/stalk Sonic-like figures. Give her some time and she'd probably glomp Metal Sonic too, similar figure from a distance at least.

I can't say enough how tired I get of the misconception that anything Sonic can be associated as the furry equivilant to Dragonball Z. It doesn't help that Sonic X and those two really bad flash cartoons (Nazo Unleashed and Super Mario Bros. Z) have pretty much spread that idea around. I know he transforms into this intentional parody of Super Saiyans, but come on man!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Give her some time and she'd probably glomp Metal Sonic too, similar figure from a distance at least.

sonic-the-hedgehog.jpg

ova11.jpg

view_320200_1_1265280045.png

Sonicchannel_metal.png

I don't know... the chrome skin and red eyes would give off warning signals to me.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks very much Azukara. I'm really glad I'm not the only one who's not so fond of those two flashes.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

I can't say enough how tired I get of the misconception that anything Sonic can be associated as the furry equivilant to Dragonball Z. It doesn't help that Sonic X and those two really bad flash cartoons (Nazo Unleashed and Super Mario Bros. Z) have pretty much spread that idea around. I know he transforms into this intentional parody of Super Saiyans, but come on man!

I can't say enough how tired I get of the misconception that anything Sonic can be associated as the furry equivilant to Dragonball Z. It doesn't help that Sonic X and those two really bad flash cartoons (Nazo Unleashed and Super Mario Bros. Z) have pretty much spread that idea around.

Nor does it help that, since Sonic Adventure, Sonic Team has been taking steps to make it so it is the furry equivalent to Dragonball Z. Pre-Sonic Adventure, elements copied from that show and other shonen were generally parodied. Post-Sonic Adventure, elements copied from that show and other shonen are played straighter than they usually are in actual shonen.

Nor does it help that, since Sonic Adventure, Sonic Team has been taking steps to make it so it is the furry equivalent to Dragonball Z. Pre-Sonic Adventure, elements copied from that show and other shonen were generally parodied. Post-Sonic Adventure, elements copied from that show and other shonen are played straighter than they usually are in actual shonen.

So the series became what it was parodying?

Especially the SA2-Unleashed period, ugh.

Thankfully its toned down

I wouldn't say that it was pervasive to the point of being detrimental (Sonic Battle, ShtH and Sonic X being the exceptions. Arguably Heroes as well.), but merely that it seems understandable to me that people would label modern Sonic games as being very shonen-y (which is what the "DBZ With Furries" moniker is suggesting).

Edited by Tornado