Awoo.

Sonic Misconceptions

Dr. Mechano

I wouldn't say that it was pervasive to the point of being detrimental (Sonic Battle and Sonic X being the exceptions. Arguably Heroes as well.), but merely that it seems understandable to me that people would label modern Sonic games as being very shonen-y (which is what the "DBZ With Furries" moniker is suggesting).

True. IT doesn't help that characters like Shadow and Silver are present, and the fact that Sonic himself and taken on more of a Shonen hero like personality.

But I wouldn't say its furry DBZ, the only thing really DBZish about it are the Super Forms, its not like the characters can fly and shoot energy beams(Ignoring Shadow). Though I do hate it when that same video shows up, ya know the one that have Sonic & Shadow(And only Sonic & Shadow) fighting for reason other than because its cool, while doing things they shouldn't be able to do.

Am I the only one that wouldn't mind it if Sonic became more shounen like? Call me crazy, but since Sonic is a game that appeals to kids...then it should have storylines that appeal to kids.

You can have storylines that appeal to kids without resorting to using generic shonen archetypes/situations to pad things out when you run out of ideas.

Edited by Tornado

Am I the only one that wouldn't mind it if Sonic became more shounen like? Call me crazy, but since Sonic is a game that appeals to kids...then it should have storylines that appeal to kids.

Its not that the series is shonen like, its that the series seems to rely too much on it, I mean if I wanted to see all of the typical shonen situations, I'd go read shonen.

Unleashed, and to a lesser extent Colors shows what the series would be like if it was a bit more shonen like without having to resort to overdose.

"Sonic takes place on Mobius".

I've gotten into debates on this one. Even with all the contrary evidence, fans still think that. I've even met some who think the series has been rebooted.

I just remembered a misconception I see all the freaking time;

"Tails made and owns the original Tornado"

No he doesn't. The Tornado was originally owned by Sonic and it's origins are a complete mystery. I've seen this falsehood of Tails creating it everywhere.

There's another misconception about Bunnie's robotic limbs in Satam. Her roboticisation is prevented in "Blast to the Past Part 2" whilst she was a young child. But the people who don't know any better say that it was a plothole, because Bunnie is still roboticised in the future. But then sense would suggest that Bunnie could've gotten roboticised at any point between her being saved from it in the past to the present timeline.

I also recall a few people thinking that the writing in Sonic's cell in SA2 was of Sonic's doing when it was really of Gerald's doing.

I've gotten into debates on this one. Even with all the contrary evidence, fans still think that. I've even met some who think the series has been rebooted.

It was, back in 1999.

It was, back in 1999.

Wut. Redesigned, but not rebooted. That means Sonic 1-3&Knuckles weren't canon, when Sonic 4's backstory has clearly stated they are.

Unless you were just trolling, in which case turn up the sarcasmatron.

Wut. Redesigned, but not rebooted. That means Sonic 1-3&Knuckles weren't canon, when Sonic 4's backstory has clearly stated they are.

Sonic Adventure completely threw out the SoA story (pretty obviously, I might add) for the Sonic games and substituted in the SoJ story, while dabbling in some retcons for that as well. Sonic 1 through Sonic and Knuckles are still canon, but the way they were originally presented outside of Japan is not.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Sonic takes place on Mobius".

Depends on which Sonic.

If it's the games or Sonic X, then it's Earth.

If it's AoStH, SatAM, Underground, Archie, or Fleetway, then it's Mobius.

If it's the OVA, it's Planet Freedom (My personal favorite locale)

They're only incorrect if they're applying Mobius to a continuity that doesn't have it (i.e. the games universe or the Sonic X universe).

If it's AoStH, SatAM, Underground, Archie, or Fleetway, then it's Mobius.

And arguably the SoA continuity of the original games.

Edited by Tornado

And arguably the SoA continuity of the original games.

Yeah, the SoA continuity seemed inconsistent at best. The only games to mention Mobius in the manuals were Mean Bean Machine, Spinball, and Triple Trouble. Of those, two of them were American made tie-in games with the cartoons (And thus have debatable canon status at best), leaving Triple Trouble as the only original platformer with a passing mention to Mobius in its instruction booklet.

In all the other games, the planet was simply called "the world," so it was a little vague if SoA even had a consistent continuity stance on the issue.

This is similar to Fang/Nack. Fang's name was changed to Nack in Triple Trouble, but left alone as "Fang" in his other two appearances, Fighters and Drift 2. While he's unquestionably Fang in Japan, this opens up some questions as to what his "SoA name" was supposed to be. Archie favors Nack obviously, but two of his three appearances left Fang in as it was, so it seems the localizers decided they'd leave him as Fang from then on (If he were to ever appear again, that is).

I used to think Sonic 1 and 2 were the same game once since they both had the same intro with varying results. Don't know why though...

Yeah, the SoA continuity seemed inconsistent at best. The only games to mention Mobius in the manuals were Mean Bean Machine, Spinball, and Triple Trouble. Of those, two of them were American made tie-in games with the cartoons (And thus have debatable canon status at best), leaving Triple Trouble as the only original platformer with a passing mention to Mobius in its instruction booklet.

In all the other games, the planet was simply called "the world," so it was a little vague if SoA even had a consistent continuity stance on the issue.

It was clearly originally intended for all of the games to take place on Mobius. The main problem is that the manuals for the games themselves were always vague about it, as you said.

Though, that's why I said arguably. ;)

Edited by Tornado

I would like to go into how I think Jet mentioning they're decesdants of "real genies" is purely metaphorical but I'm not sure if anyone else here agrees with me...

Anyone mention the one where people think Blaze isn't wearing pants?

Anyone mention the one where people think Blaze isn't wearing pants?

Wait, she is wearing pants? What the fuck, I thought her legs were white.

Damn. I'm a Blaze fan. I should know this shit...

Edited by Raxz

My mom is pretty much 'out of the loop' when it comes to Sonic. She's seen the Werehog and Super Sonic, and I've made it known that those two are indeed Sonic, just in different forms. So whenever she sees another Sonic character (i.e. Silver or Jet) she asks if it's just another form of Sonic. Ouch. Maybe there is something behind Amy mistaking others for Sonic that non-Sonic fans can't see...

@ Mechano-I have been fooled by the Mario-Wario cousin ordeal as of this day. I read that they were cousins in a the SML: 6 Golden coins mini-comic on Wikipedia a few years back. I didn't take that into the main game continuity, but I acknowledged it's presence... Looking at the Wiki-entry again the part saying they're cousins is gone. Maybe it got taken down due to it's inaccuracy, I wouldn't have made that up...

Another thing I once saw on Wikipedia a few years back was at the end of Shadow's description. Someone wrote his favorite movie was "Finding Nemo." (I kid you not) Both me and my sister were like "WHAT?" I couldn't believe it personally, because I knew there'd be no media that could downright say "Finding Nemo" (or what Shadow's fave movie is for that matter). Looking at it again, it's gone. It was probably some person's idea of a dumb joke. (Uh-oh! Did I just give him what he wanted by mentioning it here? :blink: )

Wait, she is wearing pants? What the fuck, I thought her legs were white.

Damn. I'm a Blaze fan. I should know this shit...

Female Game Sonic Character. Isn't nude. Therefore, has tight pants.

Speaking of Blaze, why do people think that are glove cuffs are on fire when she's Burning Blaze? They're obviously not on fire, it's fabric!

Also, Amy does not have a peach tummy like Sonic. I've seen her being drawn with a peach belly in fanart that exposes her tum.

amybelly.png

^ See? No peach tummy, just a bare pink one.

I dunno, it just annoys me ever so slightly when I see inaccurate character design in fanart unless it was done by the artists' personal preference :0 I still don't like overly anatomical Sonic characters though, with defined muscles and necks. That is just squicky.

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of Blaze, why do people think that are glove cuffs are on fire when she's Burning Blaze? They're obviously not on fire, it's fabric!

Also, Amy does not have a peach tummy like Sonic. I've seen her being drawn with a peach belly in fanart that exposes her tum.

amybelly.png

^ See? No peach tummy, just a bare pink one.

I dunno, it just annoys me ever so slightly when I see inaccurate character design in fanart unless it was done by the artists' personal preference :0 I still don't like overly anatomical Sonic characters though, with defined muscles and necks. That is just squicky.

Ugh loli bait.

• Thumbs Up 4

I used to call Mephiles "mee-files"

Same

I also constantly get 'Sonic is a game for babies' as a reaction to whether I talk about him. It annoys me so much that I forced my dad to play ShTH to get the point that it isn't just 5 year olds that play Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Personally, there are a couple things I ignore in design on purpose:

1-I draw toes on the characters

2-I draw a peach belly on Amy, makes her more like Sonic which makes sense

3-I draw a small version of Sonic's nose on Amy, instead of a button nose.

4-I use Silver's lower two forehead spines as his eyebrows, and give him a scarf.

Personal preference, though.

Sonic Adventure completely threw out the SoA story (pretty obviously, I might add) for the Sonic games and substituted in the SoJ story, while dabbling in some retcons for that as well. Sonic 1 through Sonic and Knuckles are still canon, but the way they were originally presented outside of Japan is not.

Oh right okay. I'd argue Mechano's "never actually mentioned in the manual" point, but no real need. I never had an issue with the retcon, mainly because I found something about Sonic being set in something like OUR world far more fascinating. As long as the actual levels had a fair mix of real and surreal I was happy. I accepted the new canon very fast.

This, a thousand times this. D8 Also they have cute bean-feet and no nails at all as proven by DarkSpine Sonic.

God I hate this in fanart so much I wish all fanartists who do this would just DIE DIE DIE DI..ieeeeheeeeey there The KKM. 8D;

Edited by JezMM

This, a thousand times this. D8 Also they have cute bean-feet and no nails at all as proven by DarkSpine Sonic.

Proven even earlier than that with this circa-1998 art.

amy_rose_at_the_beach_artwork_from_sonic_adventure-11951.jpg

Sonic animal characters have no toes. This seems to have always been the rule.

...When you think about it, their feet are basically shaped like shoes that are naturally attached to their legs. Something about this oddly makes sense for Sonic.

Edited by Dr. Mechano