Awoo.

Sonic Misconceptions

Dr. Mechano

Well way back when I was a kid and I knew nothing about sonic at the time, (please don't kill me for this) I thought knuckles was a girl when if first saw a picture of him...

Plus a lot of people in my first grade class kept telling me Knuckles and Rouge were married. And because I knew nothing about sonic at the time, I believed them.

When I first saw a picture of Omega as a child thought he was a rebuilt gamma. Yes, I was a pretty stupid kid back then wasn't I?

Some other misconceptions I see are:

People not knowing what animal charmy is (I've seen this a couple of time)

Silver being sonic's brother

Cream being tails girlfriend

Shadow being sonics brother

People thinking super shadow should be silver due to that picture in the sa2 strategy guide

People thinking Vector is black simply because he wears gold ghains and headphones.

Edited by Johnny Boy

People thinking that Sonic is all about speed.

"Damn it sega we just wanna run really fast! If we wanted to play a platformer then we wouldve played a Mario game!"

~Random comment from a Sonic Colors video on gametrailers

Yeah for me its that Tails was a girl... I dont beleive I ever thought so but I knew people who did, I also beleived Chao was pronounced Kay-O until a few years back.

• Thumbs Up 2

That C Sonic is mute or should be mute because he was silent in the classic games.

Not only is that a falsehood (As Sonic did speak in the likes of CD, SEGASonic Arcade and Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car), it's a debunked perception because as soon as the capacity for EASY voice synthesis in the form of media with adequate memory surfaced, SEGA had Sonic talking. Not much, but still talking.

There's also another misconception I see regarding Sonic - That he was born and raised in Green Hill or that Green Hill is his permanent home or WAS his home on South Island. You have absolutely no evidence to back this up. For all we know, Jungle Zone, Marble or Spring Yard could've been his place of residence in the times he spent on South Island. And besides, official material states that South Island was just one of quite a few places Sonic visited, it's just that South Island was a favourite place of his. Also, Sonic wasn't born or raised on South Island or Green Hill Zone; He was born on Christmas Island.

• Thumbs Up 5

-That Amy is Sonic's girlfriend, Knuckles is a dog (0_o), Tails is a girl... the ones we've all heard before.

-That Werehog is a different character, not Sonic himself, or that Werehog is a 'bad' version of Sonic. Shows that they obviously haven't played the game.

-That the classics didn't have stories. The tone of those stories is debatable, but so many people (even on Sonic forums) talk about the classics as if they never had a plot.

Anyway, i dont think the Sonic characters are supposed to have any specific real-life ethnicities.

Edited by Tatsumaki

Anyway, i dont think the Sonic characters are supposed to have any specific real-life ethnicities.

Edited by Blue Blood

Actually, Knuckles's shoes are in the color of the Jamaican flag. It may hint a certain ethnicity for him, created by the designers of his original design, or it may as well be coincidence. :)

Yeah, everyone points out the Jamaican color schemes and the use of hip-hop and jazz beats, but when push came to shove, they found it appropriate for him to debut with this guy providing his voice. Oh yeah; Knuckles is totally a brother.

Anyhoo, I've never heard of the whole checkerboards = measurement thing before, and as such I'd like a source on it. <3

• Thumbs Up 1

I've read people who have actually thought that the room depicted in the first cutscene of SatSR to be a Library.

sonichouse.png

If that's a Library, it's a pretty weird looking "Library". No Libraries I've ever visited had sofa's, coffee tables and fireplaces :huh:

I've read people who have actually thought that the room depicted in the first cutscene of SatSR to be a Library.

sonichouse.png

If that's a Library, it's a pretty weird looking "Library". No Libraries I've ever visited had sofa's, coffee tables and fireplaces :huh:

Not to mention none of the stuff on the table even resemble books in the slightest.

I think I see a baseball and a glove on the left side.

The glove is a clock I think.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Not to mention none of the stuff on the table even resemble books in the slightest.

I think I see a baseball and a glove on the left side.

*Looks at the pic again*

Oh, I see now. I guess it's harder for me to make them out. :unsure:

Edited by DragonSoul

It's understandable :) What I partly disliked about SatSR's otherwise charming cutscenes was how indistinct things were that were depicted in them sometimes. SatBK's cutscenes were far far clearer and distinct.

Some misconceptions I've heard was that Gerald was Dr. Eggman's father not grandfather and that Sonic and Shadow were brothers. I've heard people say that Sonic was Gerald's ultimate creation and that Shadow was Sonic's prototype. O_o Amy is referred to either as a cat or a echidna because of her new design how her spikes go down they look like Knuckles dredlocks. I've heard some fan fiction sounding stories where Gerald saw the mural of Super Sonic fighting Eggman in Hidden Palace Zone and its the reason why he started working on Project Shadow. Tikal is Knuckle's sister and I've also heard some people say Knuckles was a dog or some other strange animal.

A lot of people don't really know what he is. Everyone is confused as to if Tails is a male or female a lot of people think he's a girl. Some people think Sonic is a mouse or a rat and some people have also mentioned Silver is Sonic's future son or descendant. Some people thought Sonic turned into Metal Sonic at one point in time or that Metal Sonic was in love with Amy Rose which is why he kidnapped her in Sonic CD. The original Tornado plane belonged to Tails in Sonic 2 and 3 and just had Sonic using it to reach Eggman. That Nazo is a real form or villain in the Sonic Franchise that has really bothered me to no end. Nazo means mystery and I really do believe that was a Hyper Sonic form they decided not to use in the series.

I've heard people say that Sonic was Gerald's ultimate creation and that Shadow was Sonic's prototype.

Oh I get so irritated by this <_<. That is extremely implausible for a lot of reasons. Shadow says one single line pertaining to Sonic and being the/an ULF in the FinalHazard Boss fight and people are misinterpreting it all over the place.

I thought Shadow said that to state how impressed he was of Sonic and was not stating in any way, state or form that Sonic was an ULF.

Besides, as I said, there's many reasons that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Sonic is not an ULF. 1 - He was born 35 years after the ARK Incident. 2 - He can die (Sonic '06) 3 - He can catch an illness as mundane as a cold (See SatSR's intro) 4 - He's not black and red so he was not genetically altered with Black Doom's blood to induce immortality and set coat colour and patterns and 5 - He has a confirmed place of birth as well as having been directly stated to have been born NOT made.

O_o Amy is referred to either as a cat or a echidna because of her new design how her spikes go down they look like Knuckles dredlocks.

By their logic, should we say Darkspine Sonic is an Echidna because his spines are just like Knuckles?

I've heard some fan fiction sounding stories where Gerald saw the mural of Super Sonic fighting Eggman in Hidden Palace Zone and its the reason why he started working on Project Shadow.

Whilst this belief has no canonical basis, it is interesting to note that in Shadow the Hedgehog, Maria openly states that Gerald based Artificial Chaos' off of the god of an ancient culture. I'm more inclined to believe that Gerald discovered this through texts in books and the like rather than having visited Angel Island personally.

Tikal is Knuckle's sister and I've also heard some people say Knuckles was a dog or some other strange animal.

I know of another misconception; That Knuckles is Pachacamac's descendant. Chronicles outright stated this but then Bioware didn't know what the hell they were talking about anyway and it's not like Pachacamac was stated to have more than one offspring who could have survived the wrath of Perfect Chaos and therefore give rise to Pachacamac's direct descendants. Tikal didn't even live long enough to birth children! She died at the age of 14.

A lot of people don't really know what he is. Everyone is confused as to if Tails is a male or female a lot of people think he's a girl.

In Spanish SatAM, Tails was referred to with female gendered pronouns in that language I believe, causing quite a few spanish Sonic fans back in the day to believe Tails was in fact female. Even today, you'll occasionally come across the odd SatAM fan who insists on calling Tails a girl.

That Nazo is a real form or villain in the Sonic Franchise that has really bothered me to no end. Nazo means mystery and I really do believe that was a Hyper Sonic form they decided not to use in the series.

This man. Just this. Nazo is NOT that guys name. The only reference to that name is in the file name for the original image on one of Sonic X's official sites years ago and is not a name by any definition of the word, as Nazo can mean "Riddle", "Puzzling" or "Mystery" in Japanese. This refers ONLY to the guys mysteriousness and NOT his intended name in all likelihood.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 1

A rather recent one I heard.

Everyone lives on Mobius.

They moved planets somehow. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic & Shadow being brothers, I can't tell you how many times I've heard this.

Basically this. So, so, so many times.

And that Amy and Knuckles are in some type of relation because they both share the somewhat same hairstyle. Dreads. I don't know why there are so many Sonic and Family relation Mistakes. Also That Jet the Hawk is Bean. And all they share is Color.

And that SUPER SHADOW is called HYPER SHADOW. He only has a Super Form.

Edited by HyperGogeta

Also that Sonic has never used profanity.

Edited by HyperGogeta

That Nazo is a real form or villain in the Sonic Franchise that has really bothered me to no end. Nazo means mystery and I really do believe that was a Hyper Sonic form they decided not to use in the series.

You sure it's a pronoun as opposed to 'real name mystery' (ie his real name is a mystery)?

If so, LOL. :lol:

sonichouse.png

ALOT of people i know from school seem to think that shadow is sonic's OLDER brother and some how think that silver is a robot and that amy is sonic' sister?

and tails is a squrriel